HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,632
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H), 3,417 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Sabbath Law According To Stephen Jones [Re: ProdigalOne] #178100
11/15/15 05:06 PM
11/15/15 05:06 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: elle
"There’s too much to address up there. But simply said, ask yourself the same question I asked APL – do you believe it is ok to break the political and social laws given outside of the 10Cs?"
Do you stone sabbath breakers? Glutinous kids? Adulterers? If not, why now?

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Sabbath Law According To Stephen Jones [Re: APL] #178101
11/15/15 06:34 PM
11/15/15 06:34 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: APL
Originally Posted By: elle
"There’s too much to address up there. But simply said, ask yourself the same question I asked APL – do you believe it is ok to break the political and social laws given outside of the 10Cs?"
Do you stone sabbath breakers? Glutinous kids? Adulterers? If not, why now?

Not a if not, but a if so. Again no law is nail to the cross. So my answer is Yes. These laws are also a Types and Shaddow of things to come as other laws. So you can put your literal application aside for awhile and this to be understood and applied SPIRITUALLY (or in another word to come to know the mind of Christ for what He meant when He gave this law). Find out what is the stone symbolism means in the Bible and you will have a good chunk of your answer. Also we have the case of David who was guilty of adultery and murder that will reveal to us how the Lord apply this law on Him.

Blessings
Re: Sabbath Law According To Stephen Jones [Re: ProdigalOne] #178107
11/15/15 08:37 PM
11/15/15 08:37 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
So we should SPIRITUALLY stone those that pick up sticks, and the case of Cozbi should have been treated more like David. Or perhaps we need to understand the Old and New Covenants better...

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Sabbath Law According To Stephen Jones [Re: APL] #178109
11/15/15 10:35 PM
11/15/15 10:35 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: APL
So we should SPIRITUALLY stone those that pick up sticks, and the case of Cozbi should have been treated more like David. Or perhaps we need to understand the Old and New Covenants better...
Intead of making fun of the law...put some effort in trying to understand it by first figuring out what the symbolic meaning of stone is. Remember that the Lord told us in Number 12:8 that he speaks in "DARK SPEECHES" (in riddles that needs to be solve). The whole law is also written in "Dark Speeches" -- that Paul describes as Types and shadows.

Blessings
Re: Sabbath Law According To Stephen Jones [Re: dedication] #178111
11/16/15 12:04 AM
11/16/15 12:04 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: dedication
What was nailed to the cross?

I tend to agree with Elle that it was our sins.
The whole context of Col. 2:14 indicates it was our sins that were nailed to cross, not law.

2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, has he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
2:14 Blotting out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Great! Glad to see this.

Originally Posted By: dedication

However, also in the context is the thought of the "obligations" those sins imposed – which was the obligation to slay a sacrificial substitute. Christ was that substitute that took away our sins, thus the sacrificial system ended and with it all the ceremonial things that were part of those sacrifices.

You are twisting things here again in the attempt to keep your pre-conceived idea and to make the Lord’s laws void. The “obligations” we were under was to pay the debt note -- not to offer a substitute sacrifice. Offering substitute sacrifices for our sins is a Pagan ritual and is not part of God’s way of justice. Read Col 2:14 again it was the “certificate of debt” that Jesus took away by His death. In another word He is our Redeemer who came to pay for our debt that our sins has incurred.

This brings up three main Biblical principle :

1)sin = debt;

2)Jesus death was a covering(atonement) which is further define as a redemption of debt;

3)The Law of Jubilee defines
--->a) how debts are dealt with
--->b)the rights of the Redeemer to pay for the debt
--->c)the debt is transferred to the Redeemer
--->d)the sinner now works for the Redeemer to pay its debt
--->e)forgiveness of all debts after 7x7 (on the 50th year).

1) Sin is Equated as a debt.

When we break the law(=sin), the judge in the earthly court usually sentence us a fine(=debt). We find the same principle in the Bible. Sin is equated as a debt in both the law and in the NT. Jesus taught us a base prayer that shows us this in Mat 6:12 “ And forgive us our DEBTS, as we also have forgiven our DEBTORS.". Luke records the same prayer a little differently: “And forgive us our SINS; for we ourselves also forgive everyone who is INDEBTED to us…” Luk 11:4

This is because in the law, a sin is a debt that is owed to the victim. Ex 22:3 says “3 He shall surely make restitution; if he owns nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft. 4 If what he stole is actually found alive in his possession, whether an ox or a donkey or a sheep, he shall pay double.

This law say if he stole something, the judgment is that he owes two time the item. However in the case "the sheep" was sold or killed, the law requires he pays the victim 4 times.

So we see that sin = a debt note. Here’s an example where we find the Lord applying this law. First a little background of the sin-debt that Israel incurred. The nation of Israel was given land(Canaan) and failed to deliver the good fruits of the Kingdom that was owed to the Lord. We read in the vineyard song in Is 5:1-7 that the Lord expected to receive from Israel some good fruits. What He received was sour and unedible fruits. Jesus applies Is 5 to the nation of Judah in Mat 21:33-43 saying the fruits were stolen – either way in both cases the Lord was deprived of the good fruits due to Him from His own work in establishing the vineyard.

So Israel failed to deliver the good fruits expected(=theft) so we see that the Lord applied the Ex 22:3 theft law to Israel. We read in Judges 4:2 saying “The Lord SOLD them to Jabin, King of Canaan” (another example in Judges 10:7). Basically Israel was found guilty of sin by not delivering the good fruits of the Kingdom that was owed to the Lord in the Divine Court. Since Israel “owns nothing” they “were sold for their theft” as according to Ex 22:3. We find that Israel were sold to another nation 6 times in the book of Judges.

In these SALE transactions, Israel became the servant of that foreign nation. It also means that the foreign nation, had “bought” Israel debt note and were now responsible to pay it by delivering the good fruits of the Kingdom. In essence this other nation had “redeemed” Israel’s debt note and the responsibility to pay (to produce the good fruits the Lord’s requires) fell on them. Not necessarily a blessing but a curse if you cannot deliver. Of course they couldn't delliver and were judge also. Not a good thing for any foreign nation that redeemed the debt; but for Israel, having a redeemer they received mercy for it liberated them from the responsibility of the debt and gave them time to repent.

2)Sin-Debt covered by the Redeemer

The above is the basic law-principle how sin-debt is dealt with. A Redeemer is necessary to pay for the debt note. This is what Christ did for us by taking our obligation of the debt note away from us. However, as noted in the example above, the debt note was not cancelled but it was only transferred to the Redeemer who has to pay for it. Israel was to work for its Redeemer(the foreign nation or as applied to us we work for Christ our Redeemer) as it is also described in this way in the Law of Jubilee.

The Law of Jubilee is the only place in the Bible that clearly defines a Redeemer.

Jesus, the second Adam, will deliver the good fruits of the Kingdom on earth. This responsibility was first given to the First Adam who was commanded to subdue the earth and be fruitful. He failed…and incurred a big debt. Jesus refers to this in Mathew 18:25 where the man who couldn’t pay that large debt, its judgment was that the man, his wife, his children and all that he had were sold to pay for the debt. The responsibility to pay the debt kept on being passed down. It went to Abraham who was prophetically promised that his seed(pointing to Christ) will bless all the families of the earth. In the time being, the responsibility of the debt was pass down to the nation of Israel and so on and so forth… until it went to Christ.

3)The Law of Jubilee – defines the ultimate Sabbath rest after 7 years x 7 + 1 year = 50th year

It defines how a debt is legally dealt with. Basically the law of Jubilee is the foundation where all other laws rest upon. It gives the complete picture of the plan of salvation by which we have the 7th year Sabbath(only a forebearance of debt) pointing to and climaxing to the Jubilee year Sabbath rest(forgiveness of all debts) where everyone is restored back to their inheritance after the maximum time allotted to pay for the debt by producing the good fruits(thru the ministry of Christ) the Lord has required from the beginning of time.

Blessings
Re: Sabbath Law According To Stephen Jones [Re: Elle] #178112
11/16/15 12:17 AM
11/16/15 12:17 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Originally Posted By: Elle
Originally Posted By: kland
Elle, there were sacrifices after the Exodus that pointed forward to Christ's death which was NOT Passover.

Originally Posted By: Elle
My understanding is all the laws(Pentateuch) describes the ways of the Lord (His character) -- Isn't He the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow? It beats me how anyone in our Church would believe that the law only existed after the Exodus????

Could this be why?
There are many who try to blend these two systems, using the texts that speak of the ceremonial law to prove that the moral law has been abolished; but this is a perversion of the Scriptures. The distinction between the two systems is broad and clear. The ceremonial system was made up of symbols pointing to Christ, to His sacrifice and His priesthood. This ritual law, with its sacrifices and ordinances, was to be performed by the Hebrews until type met antitype in the death of Christ, the Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world. Then all the sacrificial offerings were to cease. It is this law that Christ "took . . . out of the way, nailing it to His cross." Colossians 2:14. But concerning the law of Ten Commandments the psalmist declares, "Forever, O Lord, Thy word is settled in heaven." Psalm 119:89. And Christ Himself says, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law. . . . Verily I say unto you"--making the assertion as emphatic as possible--"Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." Matthew 5:17, 18. Here He teaches, not merely what the claims of God's law had been, and were then, but that these claims should hold as long as the heavens and the earth remain. The law of God is as immutable as His throne. It will maintain its claims upon mankind in all ages. {PP 365.1}

And that's why you wish to deny her?
I do agree with the above that we shouldn’t be sacrificing animals today and those were types and shadows.

As I said many times to you in the past, we are the BODY of Christ and we are to follow His steps to the cross too and become “living sacrifices” as He was and “die” too. Paul even said we are to “die” daily.

I agree Jesus was the “anti-type” but it doesn’t stop there and he’s not the only “anti-type”. What was fulfilled by Jesus was the fulfillment of the HEAD part.

The fulfillment of the sacrificial laws needs to be also fulfilled in His BODY part too --- which is US His Church -- The “anti-type” of what all the sacrificial services is pointing to still needs to be fulfilled in US.

---->Every time someone since Adam’s fall till today, who accepts Jesus(=circumcised), gets out of “Mama Egypt”(=bondage of sin), and are baptized(=dies), is fulfilling the “anti-type” of Passover.

---->Every time someone since Adams till today, who listen to the Holy Spirit and receives His teachings and gets the law written on his HEART instead of having it outside on STONES is fulfilling the “anti-type” of Pentecost.

---->Every time someone since Adam’s fall till today, overcome and cease their own works, is fulfilling the “anti-type” of Tabernacle.

Hmmm...

Excellent post Elle.

Although, I would have thought circumcision instead of Pentecost.

Re: Sabbath Law According To Stephen Jones [Re: ProdigalOne] #178136
11/16/15 08:23 AM
11/16/15 08:23 AM
ProdigalOne  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada

Elle said:

"Offering substitute sacrifices for our sins is a Pagan ritual and is not part of God’s way of justice."

Are you saying the Old Testament sacrificial system instituted by God was "a Pagan ritual"?

Jesus, the Lamb of God, offered Himself in our place. He took our punishment, paid our debt. Was His "substitute sacrifice" "a Pagan ritual"???

"...I will not forget you.
Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands..."

Isaiah 49:15-16
Re: Sabbath Law According To Stephen Jones [Re: ProdigalOne] #178138
11/16/15 08:40 AM
11/16/15 08:40 AM
ProdigalOne  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada

By the way Elle, what does any of this have to do with Stephen Jones' claim:

"The Saturday Sabbath, as I showed, was based upon Passover. The Sunday Sabbath was based upon the presentation of the Son to the Father, followed by Pentecost."

"Is this belief supported by the Bible?"

You have led us on a merry chase, but isn't it time you got back to the OP?
How exactly does all of this spiritualization of the law change the Seventh Day Sabbath to Sunday?

As you are so fond of saying: "get back to the topic, please"!

"...I will not forget you.
Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands..."

Isaiah 49:15-16
Re: Sabbath Law According To Stephen Jones [Re: ProdigalOne] #178143
11/16/15 11:42 AM
11/16/15 11:42 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Quote:
Elle :"Offering substitute sacrifices for our sins is a Pagan ritual and is not part of God’s way of justice."

ProdigalOne : Are you saying the Old Testament sacrificial system instituted by God was "a Pagan ritual"?
Jesus, the Lamb of God, offered Himself in our place. He took our punishment, paid our debt. Was His "substitute sacrifice" "a Pagan ritual"???

From my own studies(and this doesn’t come from Stephen at all as he never address this), this “substitution” notion stem from mis-understanding Isaiah 53:5 and from not understanding the meaning of the law of redemption or the sacrifices.

I made it very clear it my explanation my view why(read it again) and I never said nor even closely implied that Jesus sacrifice was pagan.

ProdigalOne, this is the third time(even 4th or more as I let many of them pass by) I catch you misrepresenting what I said (false witness). Be careful OK.

Again if you want to dig more into it, it would require to open another discussion because this type of study will require to go all over the Bible.

Blessings
Re: Sabbath Law According To Stephen Jones [Re: ProdigalOne] #178145
11/16/15 12:37 PM
11/16/15 12:37 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: ProdigalOne

By the way Elle, what does any of this have to do with Stephen Jones' claim:

"The Saturday Sabbath, as I showed, was based upon Passover. The Sunday Sabbath was based upon the presentation of the Son to the Father, followed by Pentecost."

"Is this belief supported by the Bible?"

You have led us on a merry chase, but isn't it time you got back to the OP?
How exactly does all of this spiritualization of the law change the Seventh Day Sabbath to Sunday?

To understand what Stephen said above and see what Biblical basis he has to come to this, we need to recognize the whole law is still relevant like he (& I) does. This cannot be explained without looking at the other Sabbath laws and the Feasts Sabbath laws.

To repeat myself, I personally don't view everything like he does. The article you brought forth in the OP, I understand & agree with most(98%) what he said. I also recognize he understand the law much much more than I.

However Stephen (or anyone that speaks biblical stuff like I'm doing and all others here is doing on this forum) is only an "unclean" man that whatever proceeds from our mouth is “unclean” or “carnal”. Everything heard has to be filtered and confirmed by the Holy Spirit to the hearers himself. We should never accepts anything from anyone without this work of the Holy Spirit. If we do we are eating unclean spiritual foods -- even if the food comes from Moses himself and everything he says is the pure Word of God.

The Holy Spirit has not confirm this to me yet. Confirmation does not always happens emmediatly, actually most of the time it takes time for the law requires that the spiritual food be “chewed”(meditated) upon before hand and be confirmed by the Holy spirit.

Stephen could have a heart idol in that area, that’s possible. He never claims infallibility and always acknowledge that he still has some heart idols like any of us.

I do hope for myself that this study will help shed some more light on this.

I don't know if everyone is ready to move forward yet or even wants to go any further. Maybe some time is needed. I don’t know.

Did we established that the whole law is still relevant? Which means the other Sabbaths (All feasts Sabbaths, the yearly Sabbath, and the Jubilee Sabbath) are relevant.

Are we ready to look now what the Bible says about these other Sabbaths and what they mean?
Originally Posted By: Prodigalone
As you are so fond of saying: "get back to the topic, please"!

If you look at my last long post above, I did attempt to stear this discussion back to the topic by linking the debt note to the yearly & Jubilee Sabbath. Did you read it?

Blessings
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/15/24 09:27 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!