HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,949 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: What must I do to be saved? #10088
07/27/06 03:08 AM
07/27/06 03:08 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Quote.
Sin resides in the mind, so in order to destroy it, the mind must be changed. One must be born again. This is where Jesus Christ comes in. Quoting from Ellen White:
Unquote.

Sin resides in the mind?

Romans 7:18, 20, 23.
18. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) dwelleth no good thing; for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
20. Now if I do that I would not, it is no mor3e I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
23. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
In His love

James S

Re: What must I do to be saved? #10089
07/27/06 03:29 AM
07/27/06 03:29 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Well, you folks get on a clip so fast, by the time I get a look; you’ve gone a couple of pages here.

Tom, you know I agree wholeheartedly about the revelation of God’s character. But that is half the story. The other half is how that character of God can become ours, and that is what Christ is about. There are two sides in a relationship. There is the “Faith” of the Son and the “Love” of the Father. We must know the Son of God in order to discover “Faith”. Without faith, the love of the Father will find no entry.

So I agree with Will and Thomas that there are two sides, and we must know both the Father and his Son. It is by knowing the Son that we become sons of the Father.

We have shared lots on the love of the Father. We ought to discuss some on the Faith of the Son.

Rom 3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier “of him that is of the faith of Jesus”.

The meaning of this text has been highly altered in most translations.
"him that is of the faith of Jesus". Let us think about that.

Re: What must I do to be saved? #10090
07/27/06 03:37 AM
07/27/06 03:37 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
See, before I even get to put up a little post; another page flipped.

Yes James, your point is good. The answer to the flesh is in the realization of ‘faith’. What does it mean to be a Son?

Think about this folks. I have to go now. Working on a number of other posts and time is late. I’ll see how far you get by the time I get a chance to get back here.

Re: What must I do to be saved? #10091
07/27/06 01:53 PM
07/27/06 01:53 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
Quote:

By Will: If its not one or the other, it must include both. I don't see that in Tom's post's, so I will come and defend the fact that Christ's work was to redeem mankind, not show us some far off person in another galaxy, and how good He is, we know that from John 3:16, John 16:27,1 John 4:8, 1 John 4:16. I need to know "Will I be forgiven, Will I be saved, What must I do to be saved".

Hi Will, If one really knew God like Jesus knew Him those questions would be answered. Jesus answered all of them by revealing God.

Quote:

By James: Sin resides in the mind? Romans 7:18, 20, 23.
18. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) dwelleth no good thing; for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
20. Now if I do that I would not, it is no mor3e I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
23. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
In His love

Hi James, I think what Tom is saying is that sin is integral to our human nature. Jesus taught that if we hate our brother then we have in essence murdered Him. Also if we lust in our minds we have committed adultery. The word “flesh” is in Romans is in reference to the human nature which is just as much a sick mind as it is a sick body.

In Christ, scott

Re: What must I do to be saved? #10092
07/28/06 12:50 AM
07/28/06 12:50 AM
Will  Offline OP
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Hi Scott,
Jesus answered them by dying for us, being resurrected, ascending to heaven, and promised us to come again and take us with Him, to a literal physical place called heaven, and if you can believe that, and accept by faith what He has done, and desire to be made new old things passed away, and trust Him enough to ask for forgiveness, and give praise, you are saved. Its not a 1 sided issue, as you and Tom believe.
If you don't believe in Jesus Christ, and focus on the Father who sent Him, then that would be completely opposed to what Christ said "No man comes to the Father but by Me".
Jesus came to earth to destroy the works of the devil,redeem all of humanity "For God so loved the world" and to reconcile us to the Father. Jesus was sent by the Father, and if you have seen Jesus you have seen the Father.
Christ came to take away our sins, it wasn't solely about revealing the Father. In fact the entire Bible is about Christ, about a Savior for the human race, about a solution to a problem with rewards, about the plan of salvation where the Father sends His only Son, who came in the Fathers name.
I dont agree with Tom's assessment, this is about the Lamb that was slain before the foundation of the world. If you leave Christ out, you have a huge problem. Jesus said "Without me ye can do nothing".
God Bless,
WIll

Last edited by Will; 07/28/06 12:55 AM.
Re: What must I do to be saved? #10093
07/28/06 01:03 AM
07/28/06 01:03 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
What does it mean to be born again?

Is it simply saying "I now believe" ? I realize that's rather the popular definition, but is it the Biblical definition-- or is it a narrowing the truth down to a dead skelaton.

What did Jesus mean when He said:
"Matt 15:8 This people draw nigh unto me with their mouth, and honour me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
15:9 In vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Also didn't Peter BELIEVE?
He's the one that said "YOU ARE the Son of God!"
yet, Jesus says "When you are converted..... (Luke 22:32)

To be born again MEANS TO BE CONVERTED.
And what does it mean to be CONVERTED?

To be born again means "to be a new creature in Christ"

"1 Cor. 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Eze. 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do [them].

Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Re: What must I do to be saved? #10094
07/28/06 11:51 AM
07/28/06 11:51 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The way the Spirit of Prophecy put it is that the whole purpose of Christ's mission was to reveal the Father, in order that man might be set right with God. She referenced John 17, where Jesus told us that life eternal is to know God, and Jesus Christ, whom He has sent.

Jesus said, "If you've seen Me, you've seen the Father." The Spirit of Prophecy tells us that if the Father had come, and the Son remained in heaven, the history of His life would have been the same.

The way we know the Father is through the Son. Jesus said, "No man knows the Son, except the Father, and no man knows the Son, except the Father, and he to whom the Father reveals Him." So when we know God, we really know the Father, whom the Son revealed.

Jesus' job was to reveal the Father, not Himself. In the John 17 passage He said, "I have manifest thy glory." The glory of God is His character. Again He said, "I have declared Thy name." The name in Scripture represents the character.

I like the formulation of this which Ty Gibson gives:

1.Misperception of God's character.
2.Distrust of God.
3.Disobedience.
4.Guild and condemnation (which comes from sin).

This is the order that he presents man's problems. The root cause is the misperception of God's character (1, which leads to 2, 3, and 4). To fix man's problem, the root cause, 1, must be taken care of. This agrees with EGW's assertion, and Jesus' own words in John 17, that the whole purpose of His mission was to reveal God.

Notice she says that the revelation of God sets us right with Him. "Set right" is another term for "justifies." By faith we apprehend the truth about God which Jesus Christ is revealing. We are reconciled by the blood of the cross, and not we only, but "things in heaven" as well.

The passage from the Desire of Ages explains the process of salvation well. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. The sinner is drawn to God in repentance. The law is written in the heart.

Tom

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What must I do to be saved? #10095
07/29/06 01:45 AM
07/29/06 01:45 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whomsoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life (John 3:16).

The Father decision to send his Son to save men, to die for the remission of their sins, to die in order they might live again.

The Son came to reveal the Father, to live the life of love, for God is love, and die as the ultimate sacrifice unselfish love can ever made. In this way, those who come to know the Father by this revelation would have eternal life.

In His love

James S

Re: What must I do to be saved? #10096
07/29/06 12:47 PM
07/29/06 12:47 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Tom

Noone is contesting that Jesus came to show us who God is. There is really no need to further assert that. What you instead ought to do (considering the position you have taken) is to show us why Jesus did NOT come to save us from our sins by His blood.

1Jo 1:4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.
1Jo 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
1Jo 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
1Jo 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
1Jo 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
1Jo 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1Jo 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: What must I do to be saved? #10097
07/29/06 05:16 PM
07/29/06 05:16 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

I like the formulation of this which Ty Gibson gives:

1.Misperception of God's character.
2.Distrust of God.
3.Disobedience.
4.Guild and condemnation (which comes from sin).

This is the order that he presents man's problems. The root cause is the misperception of God's character (1, which leads to 2, 3, and 4). To fix man's problem, the root cause, 1, must be taken care of. This agrees with EGW's assertion, and Jesus' own words in John 17, that the whole purpose of His mission was to reveal God

I agree that it is misperception of God’s character. But misperception of God’s character is not an objective thing. It is a subjective thing. No matter how much objective evidence, doubt is subjective, and that is where the problem is.

Christ came to save us from doubt. He is the author of faith, so that we may overcome doubt and believe the truth of God. Sin’s concept of God does not allow for a true perception of God. Before the truth of God can be received, faith is needed.

This is why all the revelation of the character of God has been further misperceived. The penal-substitution, concept of sin, salvation, righteousness, judgment; all these are misperceived; not because of lack of objective evidence but because of the working of sin.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!