HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Who Am I Really? #100127
06/21/08 05:54 AM
06/21/08 05:54 AM
A
Angela Smart  Offline OP
New Member (Starting to Post)
Norseman, Western Australia
Hi Daryl, I just wondered if anyone else has ever wondered who they really are? I was away from the Lord for some 20 years and on my return I learned for the first time about "surrender". The question arose in my mind, if I surrender then who shall "I" be?

I queried others as to who was I in reality, was I just a conduit for either good or evil, where did I stand in this battle. I had no other choice but to choose one or the other. Is there a "me" at all? Its just a thought that popped into my head, I have realised what the answer is now, but wondered had anyone else ever thought the same thing? Kind regards, Angela Down Under

Re: Who Am I Really? [Re: Angela Smart] #100130
06/21/08 10:37 PM
06/21/08 10:37 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I guess the answer to that question depends on what we really were before surrendering to Christ to what we really became after we surrendered to Christ.

I am reminded of the hymn, "All To Jesus I Surrender......"

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Who Am I Really? [Re: Daryl] #100131
06/21/08 10:38 PM
06/21/08 10:38 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
What does the Bible say about who we really are after we surrender all to Christ?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Who Am I Really? [Re: Daryl] #100132
06/22/08 04:58 AM
06/22/08 04:58 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
It says many things, but I think fundamental would be a child of God.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Who Am I Really? [Re: Angela Smart] #100140
06/22/08 03:02 PM
06/22/08 03:02 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
We are creatures of God, therefore we were created to be in harmony with His will, with His character of love. Because of Adam's sin, we are born in disharmony with God, and remain so until we are born again. Adam's will was naturally in harmony with God's will, so He didn't have to surrender it. But, because of sin, our will became weak to do God's will, therefore we must surrender it to Him so that He can empower it to do good, to practice love, to do His will.

Re: Who Am I Really? [Re: Rosangela] #100179
06/25/08 05:13 PM
06/25/08 05:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The only condition upon which the freedom of man is possible is that of becoming one with Christ. "The truth shall make you free;" and Christ is the truth. Sin can triumph only by enfeebling the mind, and destroying the liberty of the soul. Subjection to God is restoration to one's self,--to the true glory and dignity of man. The divine law, to which we are brought into subjection, is "the law of liberty." James 2:12. {DA 466.5}

Re: Who Am I Really? [Re: Mountain Man] #100252
06/26/08 03:22 PM
06/26/08 03:22 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Sister A. Smart,

An excellent question for us all to consider. Surrender, submission, subjection. I believe these define the Christian life. Rebellion defines the life without Christ.

Before becoming a new creature in Christ, each of us is lost, depraved, without hope. Our life's resumé is a record of selfishness. Some like to boast of their abilities & accomplishments, but these are worthless.

By submission to God, we put on Christ and the Spirit of God dwells within us. "Let them make me a sanctuary that I may dwell among them", "that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." Exodus 25:8; Romans 8:4.

By our permission (subjection), Christ lives in us. If there is a 'me', it does not bear mentioning. All thoughts and actions reflect the Saviour. Blessed freedom from the shackles of self and sin.

Re: Who Am I Really? [Re: Angela Smart] #100386
07/01/08 01:16 PM
07/01/08 01:16 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
 Originally Posted By: Angela Smart
Hi Daryl, I just wondered if anyone else has ever wondered who they really are? I was away from the Lord for some 20 years and on my return I learned for the first time about "surrender". The question arose in my mind, if I surrender then who shall "I" be?

I queried others as to who was I in reality, was I just a conduit for either good or evil, where did I stand in this battle. I had no other choice but to choose one or the other. Is there a "me" at all? Its just a thought that popped into my head, I have realised what the answer is now, but wondered had anyone else ever thought the same thing? Kind regards, Angela Down Under

Angela, Interesting question. Who are we? When I see or hold a baby, I sometimes wonder what will the child become. How do people become who they are? Will this sweet baby become a murder, drug addict, prostitute, politician? Is this who they really are? Are we the things we do?

Angela, What answer to your question did you arrive at? \:\)

I just read some light the that Ellen shared regarding how the Word of God has the power to change. Perhaps we won't truly know who we are until we become new a new creature. The one we will be throughout eternity.

Quote:
2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

God's Amazing Grace (1973), page 107, paragraph 2
Chapter Title: To Break Bad Habits

Through the power of Christ, men and women have broken the chains of sinful habit. They have renounced selfishness. The profane have become reverent, the drunken sober, the profligate pure. Souls that have borne the likeness of Satan have become transformed into the image of God. This change is in itself the miracle of miracles. A change wrought by the Word, it is one of the deepest mysteries of the Word. We cannot understand it; we can only believe, as declared by the Scriptures, it is "Christ in you, the hope of glory" (Colossians 1:27). . . .

Quote:
The Faith I Live By (1958), page 136, paragraph 3
Chapter Title: Conversion And The New Life

"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise." Psalm 51:17. Man must be emptied of self before he can be, in the fullest sense, a believer in Jesus. When self is renounced, then the Lord can make man a new creature.

Quote:
Christ Triumphant page 351, paragraph 2
Chapter Title: Chapter 12 - The Last Days

The truths of the Word of God are not mere sentiments, but the utterances of the Most High. Anyone who makes these truths a part of the life becomes in every sense a new creature. The person is not given new mental powers, but the darkness, that through ignorance and sin has clouded the understanding, is removed.

The words "A new heart will I give you" mean "A new mind will I give you." This change of heart is always attended by a clear conception of Christian duty, an understanding of truth. The clearness of our view of truth will be proportionate to our understanding of the Word of God. A person who gives the Scriptures close, prayerful attention will gain clear comprehension and sound judgment, as if in turning to God he or she had reached a higher grade of intelligence. . . .

Quote:
The Faith I Live By, page 19, 20
Chapter Title: The Word and Works of God

The Word destroys the natural, earthly nature, and imparts a new life in Christ Jesus. The Holy Spirit comes to the soul as a Comforter. By the transforming agency of His grace, the image of God is reproduced in the disciple; he becomes a new creature. Love takes the place of hatred, and the heart receives the divine similitude.

Quote:
The Faith I Live By (1958), page 20, paragraph 6
Chapter Title: The Word and Works of God

The creative energy that called the worlds into existence is in the word of God. The word imparts power; it begets life. Every command is a promise; accepted by the will, received into the soul, it brings with it the life of the Infinite One. . .

The life thus imparted is in like manner sustained. "By every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" (Matthew 4:4) shall man live. The mind, the soul, is built up by that upon which it feeds; and it rests with us to determine upon what it shall be fed. It is within the power of every one to choose the topics that shall occupy the thoughts and shape the character.

Youth, in the name of Jesus I appeal to you whom I shall soon meet around the throne of God, Study your Bible. It will prove to you not only the pillar of cloud by day but the pillar of fire by night. It opens before you a path leading up and still upward, bidding you go forward. The Bible--you do not know its worth! It is a book for the mind, for the heart, for the conscience, the will, and the life. It is the message of God to you, in such simple style that it meets the comprehension of a little child. The Bible--precious Book!

Life in God's Word

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. John 6:63.

Every seed has in itself a germinating principle. In it the life of the plant is enfolded. So there is life in God's Word. Christ says, "The words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life." . . . In every command and in every promise of the Word of God is the power, the very life of God, by which the command may be fulfilled and the promise realized. He who by faith receives the Word is receiving the very life and character of God.

By partaking of this Word our spiritual strength is increased; we grow in grace and in a knowledge of the truth. Habits of self-control are formed and strengthened. The infirmities of childhood--fretfulness, willfulness, selfishness, hasty words, passionate acts--disappear, and in their place are developed the graces of Christian manhood and womanhood.

In its power, men and women have broken the chains of sinful habit. They have renounced selfishness. The profane have become reverent, the drunken sober, the profligate pure. Souls that have borne the likeness of Satan have been transformed into the image of God.

Quote:
Maranatha (1976), page 237, paragraph 2
Chapter Title: The Meaning of Conversion

A genuine conversion changes hereditary and cultivated tendencies to wrong. The religion of God is a firm fabric, composed of innumerable threads, and woven together with tact and skill. Only the wisdom which comes from God can make this fabric complete. There are a great many kinds of cloth which at first have a fine appearance, but they cannot endure the test. They wash out. The colors are not fast. Under the heat of summer they fade away and are lost. The cloth cannot endure rough handling.

So it is with the religion of many. When the warp and woof of character will not stand the test of trial, the material of which it is composed is worthless. The efforts made to patch the old with a new piece do not better the condition of things; for the old, flimsy material breaks away from the new, leaving the rent much larger than before. Patching will not do. The only way is to discard the old garment altogether, and procure one entirely new.

Christ's plan is the only safe one. He declares, "Behold, I make all things new." "If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature." . . . The patchwork religion is not of the least value with God. He requires the whole heart.

Re: Who Am I Really? [Re: crater] #101958
08/26/08 05:55 PM
08/26/08 05:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Angela, did any of these posts help?

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!