HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,113 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: who are these people and is this true? [Re: newhopefull] #101295
08/03/08 05:20 PM
08/03/08 05:20 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
 Originally Posted By: newhopefull
so focus on Gods character then?

The reason is because I was wondering what to do about the verses about executing fags and disobedient kids? i keep hearing christians talking about those verses (in Duetoronomy i think)

Ah, loving the sinner while hating the sin is the rule of thumb these days, as then, but you should perhaps refer some questions - such as this issue - to your local pastor as well.

Theocracy practices were divinely hardline against open sin and idolatory: Christians aren't in a theocracy, to say the least. "Executing fags AND disobedient kids"? Say again?

Re: who are these people and is this true? [Re: Colin] #101301
08/03/08 11:31 PM
08/03/08 11:31 PM
N
newhopefull  Offline OP
New Member (Starting to Post)
United States
i think they said it was Deuteronomy 21:18 thru 21 about stoning disobedient kids.

i guess what i don't get is what parts of Bible we are to follow and what parts not to follow because they may be illeagle to follow.

Re: who are these people and is this true? [Re: Colin] #101314
08/04/08 05:05 PM
08/04/08 05:05 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Colin
Yes, God's revelation of his kingdom and his righteousness alerts us to our sinfulness and need of redemption. True, denominational walls cannot contain God, but which organized message has the fulness of the gospel of Christ as thus far discovered? The organised SDA church likely won't survive till the end, but the message shall!

What, Scott, do you list as the odds between the Evangelical gospel and Jesus' gospel? - I anticipate that the Adventist teaching of gospel obedience is "Jesus' gospel" of your comments? I'm curious besides about the Mormon doctrine you mentioned, if you'd like to elaborate on that.

Hi Colin,

The Evangelical gospel is the same as the Catholic gospel in that the good news is that Jesus saved us from God (God’s law, God’s wrath, God’s divine integrity, however you want to say it). They teach that God is too holy to be in the presence of sinners and that sinners are not welcome or safe in His presence. They teach that Jesus’ finished work was to appease the wrath of an angry God so that He would acquit them from the punishment of sin. The Evangelicals teach that Jesus solved a legal problem for men. Jesus never taught this.

Jesus, however, taught us that God saved us through His Son. Jesus taught that to know God intimately was eternal life and that we needn’t be afraid of Him. Jesus brought God close so that we could see His beauty and devour His flesh and blood (symbolically speaking of course) which is to accept the grace we see in His incarnation and death. Jesus taught us that sin has separated us from the Father so the Father sent His Son and entered our reality to demonstrate His love and win us back to a loving trust. God so loved the world . . . . Jesus hung with sinners and seemed to be much less offended by them than He was with the self righteous.

Jesus tore down the walls that separated Jews from Greek, men from women, slave from free and He invited all men into His family of Saints (saved sinners). Jesus taught that the only healing for the sinner was in the presence of God. Jesus veiled His supernatural glory in our flesh so that we would not be afraid, and then stealth-fully brought us to the knowledge of the Father. Jesus taught His finished work was to reveal the Father to Humanity so that they could fall in love and become one with the Father. Jesus never taught that we had a legal problem with God, but that we had a heart problem not knowing God and that if we would just open our hearts to His love we would find Him with arms open wide to receive us.

The Mormon gospel is the exaltation of the soul where a man starts as an ignorant little spirit child and then is given a path of experiences and tests to see if they are worthy to become God’s and create their own worlds to live and die for. Jesus never taught this.

What Jesus taught is the gospel, not what theology has made it. God loved us! He would do everything to save us! He sent His Son to bring us back to a love of His Goodness. He willing saves everyone who will trust Him and respond to his love. That, in a nutshell is the true good news. The problem I see is that we are very much like the Jews in that salvation is very simple, but in order to make it exclusively ours we make it complicated. Jesus tore down the walls to let everyone in and religions continually attempt to rebuild them to make sure everyone comes to them for salvation. The Catholics have their sacraments to keep people coming back for salvation and we SDAs have our Sabbaths.

scott

Re: who are these people and is this true? [Re: newhopefull] #101318
08/04/08 07:09 PM
08/04/08 07:09 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
i think they said it was Deuteronomy 21:18 thru 21 about stoning disobedient kids.

i guess what i don't get is what parts of Bible we are to follow and what parts not to follow because they may be illeagle to follow.

Hi new!

Follow the entire Bible, but remember that everything has its place and not everything is written for us to mimic. The justice system of the OT was given to hardened slaves used to getting a beaten for doing nothing. It was so harsh that if someone stole their hand was to be cut off. Before people are converted they have a hard heart and demand justice rather than being willing to forgive. God might have saved all of Israel from Egypt, but He certainly hadn’t convinced them that love and forgiveness are the best way to do business.

So in order to keep these unconverted heathens in line, while He was teaching them right from wrong, He allowed the leaders of Israel to use methods of control and fear. These are not principles of His government, but it is all they understood and all they would respond too. God had to stop the killings, rape, incest, and adultery before He could sit down quietly with them, and explain what love is, like He did in Matthew 5. Sometimes a teacher has to grab a child by the arm and drag them to the principle’s office before she can get their attention to teach them anything. We have to remember that they agreed to this violent arrangement. In fact Christ made it clear that these arrangements were made not because of God’s ideal or God’s choice, but because of the hardness of their hearts.

So God place Israel under a strict law so that He could bring them to Christ where they would find forgiveness, peace, and rest through the understanding of God’s character.

Understanding the principles behind the violence found in the bible really helped me to see how hard sin and rebellion are to stop, much less heal from.

scott

Re: who are these people and is this true? [Re: scott] #101319
08/04/08 08:21 PM
08/04/08 08:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Understanding the principles behind the violence found in the bible really helped me to see how hard sin and rebellion are to stop, much less heal from.

There's a lot to this sentence! One can hardly imagine the heartache of God and the genius required to figure out someway to fix things.

I believe that in the judgment it will be seen that God brought sin to an end as quickly as possible. At every moment, since sin erupted, God has been working to bring it to an end. If it only depended upon Him, or if it were an issue that could be decided by force, then He could have ended it long ago, but the issue is one of truth, not force.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: who are these people and is this true? [Re: Tom] #101322
08/04/08 10:00 PM
08/04/08 10:00 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
Amen Tom,

We continually ask God, "how long", but when our eyes are finally opened we will see clearly that God did everything He could do, within His holy principles of love and freedom, to solve this problem with the least collateral damage.

We will determine that God did what was right because that is just who He is.

scott

Re: who are these people and is this true? [Re: scott] #101327
08/05/08 12:48 AM
08/05/08 12:48 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
We continually ask God, "how long", but when our eyes are finally opened we will see clearly that God did everything He could do, within His holy principles of love and freedom, to solve this problem with the least collateral damage.

The idea of "collateral damage" is interesting. God could have just allowed Adam and Eve to die. I wonder what impact that would have had in solving the Great Controversy. I suppose God would have had to have illustrated the principles of the principles (pun intended) in some other way.

One gets the impression in reading the SOP that God simply loved us too much to allow us to be lost. Had he allowed Adam and Eve to perish, it wouldn't have just been those two, but all those who could be their offspring.

It's especially incredible to consider that God was willing to do this at the risk of losing His Son, a fact most don't consider.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: who are these people and is this true? [Re: newhopefull] #101331
08/05/08 12:35 PM
08/05/08 12:35 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA

That text is certainly about executing rebellious kids - NOT just "disobedient" kids: kids in need of social punishment, turning from both parents and not repenting under corporal punishment - which would be traditional, Biblical "chastisement", were and are social outcasts worse than eg. gangs today...kids today turn out of their homes without corporal punishment. That's definitely extreme, and God's lessons were for a nation also one generation out of extreme slavery - by the time they reached the promised land.

The other factor here that allows us discretion in interpreting Deuteronomy 21 (the chapter starts with dealing with suspectless manslaughter...) is that God himself was governing this people through elders, priests, prophets and eventually kings, with the written rule book: God as head of state made Israel a theocracy, God's country, which Christians clearly aren't today. Today we use domestic and social solutions using God's original guidance and discipline principles, within the church community, but there are debates over that too.

Moral law was really tight then, linked with criminal law while it was linked to civil law until 10 years ago. In the UK the law prevented schools promoting homosexuality in the classroom, but that was scrapped when the current ruling party came to power in '97. Times move on, but the standards remain in our conscience, not so? Love the sinner, hate the sin, for the sin remains.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!