HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,633
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,491 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
who are these people and is this true? #101227
07/31/08 04:06 PM
07/31/08 04:06 PM
N
newhopefull  Offline OP
New Member (Starting to Post)
United States
I was googling for stuff on Adventism and i found this webforum. it looks like the god hates fags people from topeka. they are baptists right??

http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=13738

what are they talking about and did Ellen White really copy work??? should we respond to them??
is this slander?

Re: who are these people and is this true? [Re: newhopefull] #101238
08/01/08 12:04 AM
08/01/08 12:04 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Well done, newhopefull: you've found another of 100's of critical websites, disagreeing with us on doctrine & viewpoints as usual. We tnd to ignore them, defending our own corner takes enough time and effort!

What is your understanding of and new-found belief in Sister White's inspiration? Thoughts inspired or word-4-word dictation? Yes, she read all sorts of books to understand issues in life and faith and drew on some of them but her use of other's wording was to set them in the meaning of truth God had showed her - truth which remains. Inspiration cannot be copyrighted...I'm sure others here will help you from their experience: experience of SOP is the greatest mystery of her writings.

Speaking of Sister White, a good website supporting authentic Adventism is greatcontroversy.org Another good website is gycweb.org: Generation of Youth for Christ, formerly General Youth Conference. It is Adventist-youth led and promoting authentic Adventism among youth, with the support of the actual GC.

I personally didn't research the highs and lows of criticism online until I'd read original Adventist literature - which God led me to - revealing authentic Adventism, which is why I come here now and then to chip in. You'll find plenty of tips here!

Re: who are these people and is this true? [Re: Colin] #101242
08/01/08 02:43 AM
08/01/08 02:43 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The Topeka guy is Fred Phelps, and has nothing to do with the link that was given. Here's a Wiki on Fred: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Phelps

Regarding how to deal with the Baptists of the link, the following comes to mind:

Quote:
It is the darkness of misapprehension of God that is enshrouding the world. Men are losing their knowledge of His character. It has been misunderstood and misinterpreted. At this time a message from God is to be proclaimed, a message illuminating in its influence and saving in its power. His character is to be made known. Into the darkness of the world is to be shed the light of His glory, the light of His goodness, mercy, and truth.

This is the work outlined by the prophet Isaiah in the words, "O Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God!...

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love. (COL 415)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: who are these people and is this true? [Re: newhopefull] #101243
08/01/08 04:38 AM
08/01/08 04:38 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: newhopefull
should we respond to them??

Don't bother. We'd like to keep our "cult for darkies" to ourselves. ;\)

As has been mentioned, you will find many sites that attack our beliefs. Some present reasonable objections, but this is not one of them.

Your best course of action is to know the truth very well, and you'll be able to detect error much more easily. I would tell them that, but they seem to have their hands full already, defending the truth from that aboriginal who wore stolen clothes. LOL

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: who are these people and is this true? [Re: asygo] #101251
08/01/08 02:45 PM
08/01/08 02:45 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I would focus on God's character. For example, before becoming an SDA, I was a non-SDA Protestant, whose beliefs were like these groups. When I studied the State of the Dead, I noticed that there were many texts both sides used. The other side would have an explanation as to why the texts did not apply against their view, so I wound up with dozens of texts on both sides of the issue, and dozens of explanations as to why one side's list didn't apply. So how to resolve this? Should I weigh the two sides and see which side had more?

As I thought about it, it seemed to me the SDA idea presented God in a way that was more along the lines of how the God presented in Scripture should be. That is, that God would cause people to be burned for all eternity because they didn't accept Christ didn't seem to jibe with what God was really like.

We have such a beautiful view of God at out disposal that few know of. If only they knew! Many would respond gleefully to the Advent message presented in these terms.

Repeating the quote:

Quote:
It is the darkness of misapprehension of God that is enshrouding the world. Men are losing their knowledge of His character. It has been misunderstood and misinterpreted. At this time a message from God is to be proclaimed, a message illuminating in its influence and saving in its power. His character is to be made known. Into the darkness of the world is to be shed the light of His glory, the light of His goodness, mercy, and truth.

This is the work outlined by the prophet Isaiah in the words, "O Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God!...

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love. (COL 415)

This is our message! A revelation of "His character of love."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: who are these people and is this true? [Re: Tom] #101255
08/01/08 04:26 PM
08/01/08 04:26 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
I would focus on God's character. For example, before becoming an SDA, I was a non-SDA Protestant, whose beliefs were like these groups. When I studied the State of the Dead, I noticed that there were many texts both sides used. The other side would have an explanation as to why the texts did not apply against their view, so I wound up with dozens of texts on both sides of the issue, and dozens of explanations as to why one side's list didn't apply. So how to resolve this? Should I weigh the two sides and see which side had more?

As I thought about it, it seemed to me the SDA idea presented God in a way that was more along the lines of how the God presented in Scripture should be. That is, that God would cause people to be burned for all eternity because they didn't accept Christ didn't seem to jibe with what God was really like.

We have such a beautiful view of God at out disposal that few know of. If only they knew! Many would respond gleefully to the Advent message presented in these terms.

Repeating the quote:

Quote:

This is our message! A revelation of "His character of love."

Amen Tom!!

I spent last weekend at a family reunion in Utah where most of my relatives are Mormons. I use to be very intimidated talking to Mormons because trying to convince someone that the Bible is true who doesn’t hold the Bible as an authority means we have no common ground to discuss.

I started discussing the character of God and presented Jesus as being the true authority and the perfect revelation of God's character. They put down their defenses and actually believed what I was saying. I told them the difference between the Evangelical gospel and the gospel that Jesus taught and then I even compared Jesus' gospel to their doctrine of the exaltation of the soul (which they call the gospel) and they agreed there was a big difference. I challenged them to go into their own churches and start teaching Jesus' gospel.

We have to remember that God is not an SDA. When Jesus incarnate into the Jewish church He ended up tearing down the walls that separated sinners from the God of the Jews and invited the whole human race to be the children of Abraham. There are no denominational walls that can contain Christ.

Scott

P.S. Hope your hand is feeling better!

Re: who are these people and is this true? [Re: scott] #101259
08/01/08 08:33 PM
08/01/08 08:33 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Yes, God's revelation of his kingdom and his righteousness alerts us to our sinfulness and need of redemption. True, denominational walls cannot contain God, but which organised message has the fulness of the gospel of Christ as thus far discovered? The organised SDA church likely won't survive till the end, but the message shall!

What, Scott, do you list as the odds between the Evangelical gospel and Jesus' gospel? - I anticipate that the Adventist teaching of gospel obedience is "Jesus' gospel" of your comments? I'm curious besides about the Mormon doctrine you mentioned, if you'd like to elaborate on that.

Re: who are these people and is this true? [Re: Colin] #101270
08/02/08 01:46 AM
08/02/08 01:46 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thanks, Scott. The hand is getting better. I think another week, maybe two, and it might be OK.

Regarding discussing God, I've noticed many people are willing to talk about that who wouldn't be interested in a conversation that involved doctrines. That is, if you ask someone what they think of God, what He is like, they'll tell you, and be interested in what your opinion is.

Re: who are these people and is this true? [Re: Tom] #101284
08/02/08 03:13 PM
08/02/08 03:13 PM
N
newhopefull  Offline OP
New Member (Starting to Post)
United States
so focus on Gods character then?

The reason is because I was wondering what to do about the verses about executing fags and disobedient kids? i keep hearing christians talking about those verses (in Duetoronomy i think)

What part of the bible should I read about Gods character?? Or should i read Ellen White instead?

Re: who are these people and is this true? [Re: newhopefull] #101286
08/03/08 03:36 AM
08/03/08 03:36 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
In Scripture, John is a wonderful book. From EGW, the Desire of Ages is great. In Jesus Christ, we can't miss seeing God's character revealed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!