HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 36 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 35 36
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101595
08/14/08 01:59 PM
08/14/08 01:59 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
 Quote:
You said, "I would say the extermination of sinners is based on God's choice to allow His creatures to exercise free will." God could have allowed sinners to stay alive forever, but He chose another way. And that choice by God, coupled with the sinner's choice to be incongruent with God, is why the wicked will be destroyed.

We agreed that God could not allow the wicked to stay alive, because that would be contrary to His character. So He could have allowed sinners to stay alive forever in the same sense that He could sin or lie. The wicked die because of their own choice, not because of a discretionary decision on God's part.

It is a discretionary decision by God. Things are the way they are, not because He cannot do it another way, but because He will not.

In the language you prefer, God could not keep sinners alive because it goes against His character. It's not that He lacks the ability or the resources to keep sinners alive, but that He lacks the willingness. His character is revealed by the things that He is willing or unwilling to do - His choices. (Just like the character of sinners is revealed by their choices.)

The eternal death of the wicked is inevitable because God chose it to be that way, in accordance to His character.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101596
08/14/08 03:10 PM
08/14/08 03:10 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
It is a discretionary decision by God. Things are the way they are, not because He cannot do it another way, but because He will not.

This is what I said. It's like God cannot lie or sin.

Quote:
In the language you prefer, God could not keep sinners alive because it goes against His character. It's not that He lacks the ability or the resources to keep sinners alive, but that He lacks the willingness. His character is revealed by the things that He is willing or unwilling to do - His choices. (Just like the character of sinners is revealed by their choices.)

God's character is revealed in that He does not lie or sin. He "cannot" do these things, according to Scripture. It's not that He lacks the ability to sin or lie, but it's not something He would actually do. In the same sense, God could choose to keep the wicked alive, but, to use Scripture's example as a guide, one could say as well "God cannot keep the wicked alive" since it's not something He would actually do.

Quote:
The eternal death of the wicked is inevitable because God chose it to be that way, in accordance to His character.

One could say this about anything, couldn't one? Everything is the way it is because God chose it to be that way. Sounds like Calvin. Or Augustine.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101598
08/14/08 03:21 PM
08/14/08 03:21 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
by Arnold: The eternal death of the wicked is inevitable because God chose it to be that way, in accordance to His character.

Hi Arnold,

If what you say is true then is it also true that each individual's saved-ness or lost-ness is also inevitable because God chose it to be that way?

And is sin here because God chose it to be that Way?

I think Tom is right that this thinking is bordering on Calvinism. Predestination is the logical conclusion of the doctrine of "absolute foreknowledge" whether we admit it or not.

scott

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101603
08/14/08 05:33 PM
08/14/08 05:33 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I don't really care if it sounds like Calvin or Augustine or anyone else. It is right, and I refuse to allow any kind of bigotry to cloud my judgment. I will not disagree with a concept just based on someone else's agreement or disagreement with it, because that is a logical fallacy.

It's not that He lacks the ability to sin or lie, but it's not something He would actually do.

Regardless of whatever your hangups may be about it, what you just said there is the basic definition of discretionary decision or choice.

Why is it that the wicked will not have eternal life? Is it because they lack to ability or resources to do otherwise? No. It is because of their choice.

We are made in God's image, with free will. Yes, God also has free will. Your failure to see the fact that God makes choices is a huge flaw in your paradigm.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: scott] #101604
08/14/08 05:47 PM
08/14/08 05:47 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: scott
 Quote:
by Arnold: The eternal death of the wicked is inevitable because God chose it to be that way, in accordance to His character.

Hi Arnold,

If what you say is true then is it also true that each individual's saved-ness or lost-ness is also inevitable because God chose it to be that way?

You must have missed this from post 101586:
 Quote:
And that choice by God, coupled with the sinner's choice to be incongruent with God, is why the wicked will be destroyed.

God chose what the ramifications will be for our choices - the end of each path. It remains with us to choose which path we will take.

To answer your question, God chose what will happen to the saved and what will happen to the lost. You get to choose if you will be one of the saved or the lost.

Originally Posted By: scott
And is sin here because God chose it to be that Way?

Sin is here because sinners choose it to be that way. Sins consequences, OTOH, are because God chose it that way.

Your ideas of what God chooses and what we choose seem to be very different. To put my paradigm in game show language: God decides what's behind each door and He tells us what's behind each door and He tells us which is the wise choice, but it is up to us which door we will choose.

Quote:
Deuteronomy 30:15
See, I have set before you today life and good, death and evil,

Deuteronomy 30:19
I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live;

He could have connected life with evil, but that would suck for all involved. He's a nice God, not because He must but because He wills. And that makes His niceness that much nicer. Forced benevolence is not as comforting as chosen benevolence.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101608
08/14/08 07:57 PM
08/14/08 07:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Sin is here because sinners choose it to be that way. Sins consequences, OTOH, are because God chose it that way.

Your ideas of what God chooses and what we choose seem to be very different. To put my paradigm in game show language: God decides what's behind each door and He tells us what's behind each door and He tells us which is the wise choice, but it is up to us which door we will choose.

So what happens when we sin is an arbitrary choice determined by God? If God had so chosen, He could have had sin result in eternal life, and righteous result in death, and it's just an arbitrary choice that makes things result the way they do? This is the correct paradigm? (by "correct" I mean correctly representing your paradigm)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101609
08/14/08 08:36 PM
08/14/08 08:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I don't really care if it sounds like Calvin or Augustine or anyone else.

Do you care if it is like Calvin's or Augustine's view? If it just sounds like their view, but it's really different, you can clarify how it's different. If it's the same, then that helps to know too.

Quote:
It is right, and I refuse to allow any kind of bigotry to cloud my judgment.

When you say "it" do you mean the view of Augustine and Calvin, or Arnold?

Quote:
I will not disagree with a concept just based on someone else's agreement or disagreement with it, because that is a logical fallacy.

You're saying you won't disagree with the idea you have just because Augustine or Calvin agree with it? Am I understanding you correctly?

Quote:
Regardless of whatever your hangups may be about it, what you just said there is the basic definition of discretionary decision or choice.

God allows people to have the result of their choice. If He wanted to, He could overrule that and force them to receive something else instead. Saying this is the basic definition of discretionary decision or choice seems weird to me.

One could say that God could overrule anything that happens and cause something else to happen instead, so that, because of this, everything that happens is because of a discretionary decision of God. This seems to be what you are saying. This seems to me to be an odd way of looking at things.

Quote:
Why is it that the wicked will not have eternal life? Is it because they lack to ability or resources to do otherwise? No. It is because of their choice.

This mostly agrees with what I've been saying.

Quote:
We are made in God's image, with free will. Yes, God also has free will. Your failure to see the fact that God makes choices is a huge flaw in your paradigm.

You think I don't see that God has free will? That seems odd to me. What have I written that gives you the impression I don't see that God has free will? Also, why do you think I don't see the fact that God makes choices?

Isn't it obvious that God has free will and makes choices? How would it be possible for this not to be the case?

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101613
08/14/08 10:28 PM
08/14/08 10:28 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:

So what happens when we sin is an arbitrary choice determined by God?

Main Entry: ar·bi·trary
1: depending on individual discretion (as of a judge) and not fixed by law
2 a: not restrained or limited in the exercise of power : ruling by absolute authority b: marked by or resulting from the unrestrained and often tyrannical exercise of power
3 a: based on or determined by individual preference or convenience rather than by necessity or the intrinsic nature of something b: existing or coming about seemingly at random or by chance or as a capricious and unreasonable act of will

Yes, arbitrary in the sense the it depends on God's discretion, His absolute authority, and His unlimited power. But it was definitely not tyrannical, nor convenient, nor capricious, nor unreasonable.

As we had discussed previously, God has the ability to make things work differently, but He did not choose any of those ways.

If God had so chosen, He could have had sin result in eternal life, and righteous result in death, and it's just an arbitrary choice that makes things result the way they do? This is the correct paradigm? (by "correct" I mean correctly representing your paradigm)

Assuming God stays the same, then sin can never result in the eternal life Jesus described in John 17. However, He can keep a sinner from dying indefinitely, like Satan. He can also end the life of anyone, including the righteous, and make him disappear as if he had never been.

Things work the way they do because that's what God decided was the way He wanted it. And He wanted it that way because that's the way He is - His character.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101615
08/14/08 11:37 PM
08/14/08 11:37 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:
I don't really care if it sounds like Calvin or Augustine or anyone else.

Do you care if it is like Calvin's or Augustine's view? If it just sounds like their view, but it's really different, you can clarify how it's different. If it's the same, then that helps to know too.

I'll show my ignorance by admitting that I don't know what Calvin or Augustine taught. I tried to read Augustine once, but I couldn't understand what he was trying to say.

So if what I say sounds like what they said, OK. That's fine, but it doesn't matter to me.

Quote:
It is right, and I refuse to allow any kind of bigotry to cloud my judgment.

When you say "it" do you mean the view of Augustine and Calvin, or Arnold?

"It" in this context is what I said, especially since I don't know what the other two guys said.

Quote:
I will not disagree with a concept just based on someone else's agreement or disagreement with it, because that is a logical fallacy.

You're saying you won't disagree with the idea you have just because Augustine or Calvin agree with it? Am I understanding you correctly?

What I'm saying is that another's person's view does not determine mine one way or the other.

That reminds me of some people I have debated who would essentially say, "That's what Augustine taught. Therefore it is wrong." They never search the Scriptures to see if these things are so; they only do it to show that these things are not so.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101616
08/14/08 11:41 PM
08/14/08 11:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This is from DA 764:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe.

It seems to me that if you look at the context, the word "arbitrary" must mean "individual discretion" as opposed to "tyrannical, nor convenient, nor capricious, nor unreasonable." She is arguing that the destruction of the wicked is not due to the discretionary decision of God, but rather the choice of the individual. I don't see how else this can be understood. If she had meant "arbitrary" in the sense of "capricious" or "unreasonable," then she would have argued why God's decision was reasonable. But she didn't. Instead she argued that it wasn't God's decision at all, but the decision of the wicked.

Page 21 of 36 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!