HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,608
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 3
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,120 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 44 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 43 44
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #101732
08/18/08 06:09 PM
08/18/08 06:09 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Ok, if he does, he is more wrong than I had thought, for Ellen White clearly confirms that the Jews had transformed it, as well as the moral law, into a yoke of bondage. But the ceremonial law being or not a yoke of bondage is beside the point, since neither Col. 2:14 nor Eph. 2:15 refer to this.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #101735
08/18/08 10:08 PM
08/18/08 10:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
In post #101569 i quoted from Waggoner's article on Eph. 2:15:

Quote:
In this text it is said to have been “contrary;” in the other it is called “enmity;” and Peter called it a burdensome yoke. This, Paul says, was “against us.” But the law of God is holy, and just, and good in its requirements. We conclude, therefore, that the “handwriting of ordinances,” which was nailed to the cross of Christ, was the Levitical law.

This was basically Butler's argument, and Waggoner even cited the same sources Butler would in his pamphlet TLIG. I said:

Quote:
It appears his thinking developed quite a bit from 1886 to 1888.

MMM asked:

Quote:
Also, in what way do you see a difference in Waggoner's thinking?

I responded:

Quote:
In one, Waggoner expresses the idea that the ceremonial law was a yoke of bondage. In the other, he argues against this idea (which Butler argued for in his pamphlet).

To which you responded:

Quote:
No, he doesn't argue against this idea.

Waggoner did argue against the idea, which you appear to be recognizing:

Quote:
Ok, if he does, he is more wrong than I had thought

This is quite clever. If Waggoner doesn't argue against the idea, then you would be correct. But if he does argue the idea, what happens? Then Waggoner is "more wrong."

If Waggoner was saying one thing in one place, and disagrees with his own position, then one or the other must be incorrect. So which is more likely? That Waggoner was correct when he was agreeing with Butler, before 1888, before EGW was endorsing him, or later when he disagreed with Butler, passed out his pamphlet to the 1888 GC delegates, and Ellen White started endorsing him?

If EGW is correct in her endorsements, and there is great light in what Waggoner wrote, and he really could teach righteousness by faith better than she could, then the latter must be much more likely.

I understand your point that just because she endorsed him does not mean that every jot and tittle is correct, but surely he must have been right a vast majority of the time, or how could EGW have endorsed him as she did? Over 1,000 times she endorsed him (or Jones). Yet I can't remember when you've agreed with him on anything I've quoted from him during the time EGW was endorsing him, and I've quoted him many, many times on many different subjects.

Let's say he was right 90% of the time (to get the endorsements he did) and I've quoted him 100 times on say 10 different subjects. What are the odds that he's wrong all of these times?

Quote:
Ellen White clearly confirms that the Jews had transformed it, as well as the moral law, into a yoke of bondage.

First of all, this does not disagree with what Waggoner or Jones said (from 1888 on). Indeed, if you look at the GC session in 1895 I quoted from, you can see that Jones said this very thing.

Secondly, you correctly point out that they did this, according to EGW, to *both* the ceremonial law and the moral law. Now if their doing this could make the ceremonial law "enmity," then clearly it would make the moral law enmity as well. And if abolishing the ceremonial law is the way to fix the enmity problem, then that logic would apply to the moral law as well.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #101740
08/19/08 12:57 PM
08/19/08 12:57 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Secondly, you correctly point out that they did this, according to EGW, to *both* the ceremonial law and the moral law. Now if their doing this could make the ceremonial law "enmity," then clearly it would make the moral law enmity as well. And if abolishing the ceremonial law is the way to fix the enmity problem, then that logic would apply to the moral law as well.

It was the ceremonial law (circumcision, festival laws, etc.) that was distinctively characteristic of the Jews. It was not the moral law, since even Gentiles have its precepts written on their hearts (Rom. 2:15) and consequently do them "by nature" (2:14).
The perversion of the ceremonial law by the Jews became the main factor of separation between them and the Gentiles.
In this context, Paul writes Col. 2:14 and Eph. 2:15. God gave the ceremonial laws for a good purpose and they were good, but the Jews' perversion of it caused separation and enmity between them and the gentiles. So, there are two distinct things to be considered here - the law and the enmity.
Before we sidetracked, I had presented the article with an analysis of the Greek text. In it, the author says:

Quote:
In an attempt to answer these three primary questions, interpreters have proposed at least three different views. The significance of these views can be seen in various implications regarding the nature of the Law. At least one view sees the Law itself as the hatred experienced between Jews and Gentiles, but opposing views leave room for a neutral or even positive interpretation of the Law (cf. Deut. 10:13). It goes without saying that one's understanding of the nature of the Law impacts the understanding of what Paul means by the nullification of the Law.

He also said:
 Quote:
First, irrespective of the certainty we may have regarding one of the aforementioned views, the following facts can be confidently asserted:
1. Christ has destroyed a wall which previously separated Jews from Gentiles.
2. Christ has removed the hostility which was previously experienced between Jews and Gentiles.
3. Christ has rendered inoperative the Law of commandments in decrees.

And:
 Quote:
As was noted previously, even if one does understand all three nouns (mesotoicon, ecqran and nomon) to be appositional to one another, this does not require an exact identity among the three. Especially in the case of the latter (nomon), it is altogether possible that it is merely to be understood as the cause of the previous two nouns (mesotoicon and ecqran) [Lenski]. Regardless of how one interprets the relationship between the three accusative nouns, it is certain that there is a close association intended [Bruce].

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #101743
08/19/08 02:02 PM
08/19/08 02:02 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
This is quite clever. If Waggoner doesn't argue against the idea, then you would be correct. But if he does argue the idea, what happens? Then Waggoner is "more wrong."
If EGW is correct in her endorsements, and there is great light in what Waggoner wrote, and he really could teach righteousness by faith better than she could, then the latter must be much more likely.

Well, she cannot endorse what is in disagreement with what she writes. Therefore, where he disagrees with what she writes he is wrong, and I have always pointed this out.

P.S. To avoid misunderstandings: I hadn't read in detail what Waggoner says, but, according to the quotes you posted, he does argue against the idea of the (ceremonial) law as a yoke of bondage.

Last edited by Rosangela; 08/19/08 04:28 PM. Reason: add post script
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Rosangela] #101744
08/19/08 04:24 PM
08/19/08 04:24 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
Hi Rosangela,

Do you believe that the 10 Commandments are the schoolmaster to lead us to Christ that we are no longer under in Galatians 3?

If so then what difference is there between taking us out from under the moral law of the 10 commandments (Galatians 3) and abolishing the l0 commandments and replacing them with Christ as the ultimate moral influence and standard of righteousness (Colossians 2)?

Why is it so important for you to keep the 10 Commandments in place as our moral influence when we have Christ? Is there something that Jesus didn't teach that they teach? Did Jesus miss something?

scott

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: scott] #101747
08/19/08 05:14 PM
08/19/08 05:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Well, she cannot endorse what is in disagreement with what she writes. Therefore, where he disagrees with what she writes he is wrong, and I have always pointed this out.

Another possibility is that you are wrong, and Waggoner and Ellen White are in agreement. The following situation comes up often:

a.Waggoner writes something unambigous
b.Ellen White writes something ambiguous
c.You take the ambiguous possibility of Ellen White which disagree with Waggoner.

I don't understand why you wouldn't instead choose to use Waggoner as a tie-breaker to decide the ambiguity as opposed to taking the position that Waggoner must be wrong. I could understand this happening rarely, say once in 10 times, but it happens over and over and over again. How could Ellen White endorse Waggoner so strongly and often if Waggoner was so often wrong?

Quote:
P.S. To avoid misunderstandings: I hadn't read in detail what Waggoner says, but, according to the quotes you posted, he does argue against the idea of the (ceremonial) law as a yoke of bondage.

Ok. I'd suggest being more guarded in your responses in this case.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #101750
08/19/08 09:20 PM
08/19/08 09:20 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
R: P.S. To avoid misunderstandings: I hadn't read in detail what Waggoner says, but, according to the quotes you posted, he does argue against the idea of the (ceremonial) law as a yoke of bondage.
T: Ok. I'd suggest being more guarded in your responses in this case.

I based myself on the quote you had provided in your post #101569, and in that quote he really doesn't argue clearly against the ceremonial law as a yoke of bondage. I was even trying to defend him. But then, after the other quotes you posted, this became impossible, for I saw he was clearly in contradiction with what Ellen White says.

Quote:
Ellen White writes something ambiguous

What Ellen White writes, most of the times, is unambiguous.

I hope you have seen my post just above the one you replied to.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: scott] #101751
08/19/08 09:56 PM
08/19/08 09:56 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Do you believe that the 10 Commandments are the schoolmaster to lead us to Christ that we are no longer under in Galatians 3?

Yes.

Quote:
If so then what difference is there between taking us out from under the moral law of the 10 commandments (Galatians 3) and abolishing the l0 commandments and replacing them with Christ as the ultimate moral influence and standard of righteousness (Colossians 2)?

Being taken out from under the law (Galatians 3) means being taken out from under its condemnation. In Christ the law can no longer condemn us.

If Eph. 3:15 referred to the abolition of the moral law, it would contradict several other biblical passages. It says: "By abolishing [katargeo] in his flesh the law of commandments in ordinances". Rom. 3:31, on the other hand, says, "Do we, then, abolish [katargeo] the law by this faith? Of course not! Instead, we uphold the law." Was the law, after all, abolished or not? One verse says it was, the other says it wasn't. However, Ephesians doesn't just say "law," but "the law of commandments contained in ordinances" - a specific law of specific commandments.

What is abolished no longer exists. How can a law that no longer exists be written in the hearts of people (Heb. 8:10)? How can sin be defined as the transgression of a law which no longer exists (1 John 3:4)? How can a law that no longer exists be the standard by which God will judge us on the Day of Judgment (James 2:10-12)?

Either the law was abolished or it wasn't - but it can't be both. Besides, the law is just a transcript of Christ's character. By abolishing it, He would be abolishing Himself.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Rosangela] #101754
08/19/08 10:39 PM
08/19/08 10:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Being taken out from under the law (Galatians 3) means being taken out from under its condemnation. In Christ the law can no longer condemn us.

I agree with this. I would add that the long doesn't condemn us because it is written on our hearts when we become Christ's, which is simply another was of saying that we have been brought into harmony with God.

Also in Gal. 4:4, "under the law," means the same thing (i.e., under its condemnation).

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #101756
08/19/08 10:55 PM
08/19/08 10:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I based myself on the quote you had provided in your post #101569, and in that quote he really doesn't argue clearly against the ceremonial law as a yoke of bondage.

I provided the whole of "The Gospel in Galatians" as a reference. If you are going to say that Waggoner did not argue against a certain position, the implication is that you know what Waggoner was arguing. If you want to limit your statement to a certain quote, you could write something like, "It doesn't appear to me that this quote is arguing against this position" as opposed to "No, he doesn't argue against this idea."

Quote:
I was even trying to defend him.

It would be good to defend him when he's right! (this is when he's arguing against Butler, not agreeing with him).

Quote:
But then, after the other quotes you posted, this became impossible, for I saw he was clearly in contradiction with what Ellen White says.

Again, what is more likely.

a.Waggoner's was right before EGW endorsed him, but wrong afterwards.
b.Waggoner's position was wrong before EGW endorsed him, but right afterwards.

Doesn't b make more sense?

To avoid having to type, I'll requote myself:

Quote:
I don't understand why you wouldn't instead choose to use Waggoner as a tie-breaker to decide the ambiguity as opposed to taking the position that Waggoner must be wrong. I could understand this happening rarely, say once in 10 times, but it happens over and over and over again. How could Ellen White endorse Waggoner so strongly and often if Waggoner was so often wrong?

Quote:
What Ellen White writes, most of the times, is unambiguous.

People do not argue over what Waggoner was saying. At least, if this is done, it is far, far less than with Ellen White.

When we have disagreements about what EGW is saying, it is because what she is saying can be understood in different ways. Take the nature of Christ as an example. Nobody argues that Waggoner wasn't post-lapsarian. But people disagree as to EGW's position.

It seems to me much more likely in these disagreements that you are misunderstanding Ellen White than that Waggoner is wrong. I'm not saying this is always the case, but as a general rule of thumb, common sense would dictate that someone endorsed along the lines of Waggoner is much more likely to be correct than an ordinary lay person. Yet time and time again, rather than modify your own idea, you disagree with Waggoner, which was exactly what happened in the 1888 era, and something of which Ellen White wrote over and over again.

How can it possibly be the case that Ellen White is correct in endorsing Waggoner as she did, and that he is always wrong? At least, he's always wrong in whatever I've quoted from him, because I can't recall you're agreeing with him. Whatever I quote is always that exceptional thing which doesn't fall under the umbrella of her endorsement. Doesn't that seem a bit convenient? Couldn't it be the case that Waggoner was correct, and you're understanding EGW wrong?

Quote:
I hope you have seen my post just above the one you replied to.

It was that post I was replying to.

Last edited by Tom; 08/20/08 01:49 AM. Reason: typo

Page 7 of 44 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 43 44

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 05/01/24 02:33 AM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!