HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,638
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,298 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Does God allow evil to run its course...... #101772
08/20/08 09:59 PM
08/20/08 09:59 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Does God allow evil to run its course......or does He stop evil only when it comes to the chosen....

Was it God that hardened Pharoahs heart? Or was it Satan doing his work of evil influence, and God allowed it for the purposes of illustrating what followed?

If you say God doesnt allow evil to do its work, then read the following on how a lying spirit which obviously was a evil angel was allowed to put a false prophecy in the kings prophets to entice him to his doom.....

1 Kings 22
Micaiah Prophesies Against Ahab
1 For three years there was no war between Aram and Israel. 2 But in the third year Jehoshaphat king of Judah went down to see the king of Israel. 3 The king of Israel had said to his officials, "Don't you know that Ramoth Gilead belongs to us and yet we are doing nothing to retake it from the king of Aram?"
4 So he asked Jehoshaphat, "Will you go with me to fight against Ramoth Gilead?"
Jehoshaphat replied to the king of Israel, "I am as you are, my people as your people, my horses as your horses." 5 But Jehoshaphat also said to the king of Israel, "First seek the counsel of the LORD."

6 So the king of Israel brought together the prophets—about four hundred men—and asked them, "Shall I go to war against Ramoth Gilead, or shall I refrain?"
"Go," they answered, "for the Lord will give it into the king's hand."

7 But Jehoshaphat asked, "Is there not a prophet of the LORD here whom we can inquire of?"

8 The king of Israel answered Jehoshaphat, "There is still one man through whom we can inquire of the LORD, but I hate him because he never prophesies anything good about me, but always bad. He is Micaiah son of Imlah."
"The king should not say that," Jehoshaphat replied.

9 So the king of Israel called one of his officials and said, "Bring Micaiah son of Imlah at once."

10 Dressed in their royal robes, the king of Israel and Jehoshaphat king of Judah were sitting on their thrones at the threshing floor by the entrance of the gate of Samaria, with all the prophets prophesying before them. 11 Now Zedekiah son of Kenaanah had made iron horns and he declared, "This is what the LORD says: 'With these you will gore the Arameans until they are destroyed.' "

12 All the other prophets were prophesying the same thing. "Attack Ramoth Gilead and be victorious," they said, "for the LORD will give it into the king's hand."

13 The messenger who had gone to summon Micaiah said to him, "Look, as one man the other prophets are predicting success for the king. Let your word agree with theirs, and speak favorably."

14 But Micaiah said, "As surely as the LORD lives, I can tell him only what the LORD tells me."

15 When he arrived, the king asked him, "Micaiah, shall we go to war against Ramoth Gilead, or shall I refrain?"
"Attack and be victorious," he answered, "for the LORD will give it into the king's hand."

16 The king said to him, "How many times must I make you swear to tell me nothing but the truth in the name of the LORD ?"

17 Then Micaiah answered, "I saw all Israel scattered on the hills like sheep without a shepherd, and the LORD said, 'These people have no master. Let each one go home in peace.' "

18 The king of Israel said to Jehoshaphat, "Didn't I tell you that he never prophesies anything good about me, but only bad?"

19 Micaiah continued, "Therefore hear the word of the LORD : I saw the LORD sitting on his throne with all the host of heaven standing around him on his right and on his left. 20 And the LORD said, 'Who will entice Ahab into attacking Ramoth Gilead and going to his death there?'
"One suggested this, and another that. 21 Finally, a spirit came forward, stood before the LORD and said, 'I will entice him.'

22 " 'By what means?' the LORD asked.
" 'I will go out and be a lying spirit in the mouths of all his prophets,' he said.
" 'You will succeed in enticing him,' said the LORD. 'Go and do it.'

23 "So now the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours. The LORD has decreed disaster for you."

24 Then Zedekiah son of Kenaanah went up and slapped Micaiah in the face. "Which way did the spirit from [a] the LORD go when he went from me to speak to you?" he asked.

25 Micaiah replied, "You will find out on the day you go to hide in an inner room."

26 The king of Israel then ordered, "Take Micaiah and send him back to Amon the ruler of the city and to Joash the king's son 27 and say, 'This is what the king says: Put this fellow in prison and give him nothing but bread and water until I return safely.' "

28 Micaiah declared, "If you ever return safely, the LORD has not spoken through me." Then he added, "Mark my words, all you people!"

Re: Does God allow evil to run its course...... [Re: Rick H] #101773
08/21/08 12:00 AM
08/21/08 12:00 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Does God allow evil to run its course......or does He stop evil only when it comes to the chosen....

Was it God that hardened Pharoahs heart? Or was it Satan doing his work of evil influence, and God allowed it for the purposes of illustrating what followed?

If you say God doesnt allow evil to do its work, then read the following on how a lying spirit which obviously was a evil angel was allowed to put a false prophecy in the kings prophets to entice him to his doom.....

Those are good examples, Richard, of the principle that God is often said to do that which He permits.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God allow evil to run its course...... [Re: Tom] #101780
08/21/08 12:52 PM
08/21/08 12:52 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
But if God knows our hearts desire to love him and we are his chosen, why does he test us and allow evil to fall on us.....

Job 1
Prologue
1 In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil. 2 He had seven sons and three daughters, 3 and he owned seven thousand sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred yoke of oxen and five hundred donkeys, and had a large number of servants. He was the greatest man among all the people of the East.
4 His sons used to take turns holding feasts in their homes, and they would invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them. 5 When a period of feasting had run its course, Job would send and have them purified. Early in the morning he would sacrifice a burnt offering for each of them, thinking, "Perhaps my children have sinned and cursed God in their hearts." This was Job's regular custom.

Job's First Test
6 One day the angels [a] came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan [b] also came with them. 7 The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?"
Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it."
8 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil."

9 "Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. 10 "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face."

12 The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger."
Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.

Last edited by Richard; 08/21/08 12:57 PM.
Re: Does God allow evil to run its course...... [Re: Rick H] #101781
08/21/08 02:30 PM
08/21/08 02:30 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
But if God knows our hearts desire to love him and we are his chosen, why does he test us and allow evil to fall on us....

A complex question, which I'll answer simply, albeit inadequately. There is a Great Controversy going on between the forces of good and evil, involving sentient beings with free will. This necessitates "bad things happening to good people." (to rephrase your question).

In the Job example, one can see that larger issues were involved than simply what was happening to Job.

Job is usually thought of as teaching that just because something bad happens to you does not mean that God is displeased. This is, of course, an important lesson, one which is still largely not understood.

Another important lesson, even less understood, is just because something bad happens does not mean that God is behind it, even if the action is attributed to God. You already presented a couple of other examples of this.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God allow evil to run its course...... [Re: Tom] #101968
08/26/08 06:39 PM
08/26/08 06:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
"Does God allow evil to run its course?"

No! God is in control. He does not sit back and allow evil to run its course. If that were the case, Lucifer would have died the instant he sinned. A&E would have died have died the instant they sinned.

We manage the choices; but God manages the consequences. Nothing is left to chance or natural law. Neither is anything left to Satan. A thief might choose to pull the trigger, but God's decides what happens afterward. He controls the outcome of all choices.

Re: Does God allow evil to run its course...... [Re: Mountain Man] #101978
08/26/08 08:06 PM
08/26/08 08:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
We manage the choices; but God manages the consequences. Nothing is left to chance or natural law. Neither is anything left to Satan.

This sounds like you are saying that everything that happens is God's will. Is this correct? The abuse of children? Genocide? These are examples of God's "managing the consequences"?

Re: Does God allow evil to run its course...... [Re: Tom] #102006
08/27/08 04:17 PM
08/27/08 04:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Was it God's will for Jesus to die? Yes, death is an enemy; but it isn't the end of the story. There is a resurrection to follow. It isn't God's will for people to choose to sin. But it is His will to manage the consequences of their choices in a way that best suits everyone.

Re: Does God allow evil to run its course...... [Re: Mountain Man] #102016
08/27/08 06:07 PM
08/27/08 06:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Was it God's will for Jesus to die?

No. God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself. God Himself was crucified with Christ. God gave Himself in Christ to die for the world. Christ's death was caused by evil men, inspired by evil angels.

God allowed this to happen, so it was His permissive will that Christ should die. God knew Christ's death was the only way that humanity could be rescued.

Quote:
Yes, death is an enemy; but it isn't the end of the story. There is a resurrection to follow. It isn't God's will for people to choose to sin. But it is His will to manage the consequences of their choices in a way that best suits everyone.

How does the abuse of a child "best suit everyone"? I can see how it "best suits" the guilty party, but how does this "best suit" the child, or the child's parents?

Re: Does God allow evil to run its course...... [Re: Tom] #102051
08/28/08 03:20 PM
08/28/08 03:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
God knew Christ's death was the only way that humanity could be rescued.

If it was the only way to rescue penitent sinners, why wasn't it God's will for Jesus to die on the cross? What other choice did He have if He hoped to save penitent sinners?

Originally Posted By: Tom
How does the abuse of a child "best suit everyone"? I can see how it "best suits" the guilty party, but how does this "best suit" the child, or the child's parents?

Allowing sin to take a certain course is necessary. But only God knows which course, which outcome, which consequence, will serve the GC is the best way possible. True, the best outcome is often tragic at best, nevertheless, God is in control, and He makes no mistakes. If we could see things from God's eternal perspective it would be easier for us to understand why this or that outcome is best under the circumstances.

Hindsight is 20/20. Not until we watch the replay of earth's history in heaven will we see as clearly as God does now. At that time we will say, "Now I understand why you had to allow things to play out the way you did. Thank you, Lord, for managing things properly. I know it broke your heart that circumstances forced you to have to make such terrible choices, but you clearly did the right thing." We should be able to take comfort in this now.

Re: Does God allow evil to run its course...... [Re: Mountain Man] #102058
08/28/08 07:28 PM
08/28/08 07:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
(T)God knew Christ's death was the only way that humanity could be rescued.

(M)If it was the only way to rescue penitent sinners, why wasn't it God's will for Jesus to die on the cross?

If you could save the nation by the sacrifice of your son, would you say it was your will that your son died? In one sense, yes, since you made the decision to allow this to happen. In another sense, no, you would rather not have your son die.

Quote:
What other choice did He have if He hoped to save penitent sinners?

You quoted from me above: "God knew Christ's death was the only way that humanity could be rescued." That addresses your question.

Quote:
(T)How does the abuse of a child "best suit everyone"? I can see how it "best suits" the guilty party, but how does this "best suit" the child, or the child's parents?

(M)Allowing sin to take a certain course is necessary. But only God knows which course, which outcome, which consequence, will serve the GC is the best way possible. True, the best outcome is often tragic at best, nevertheless, God is in control, and He makes no mistakes.

God doesn't make these choices, MM. What happens is not the "best outcome." Having a child be abused is not the "best outcome" and is in no way whatsoever the choice of God.

Quote:
If we could see things from God's eternal perspective it would be easier for us to understand why this or that outcome is best under the circumstances.

It's not the best under the circumstances. Sin is an act of rebellion. The "best" choice would be for the sinner not to sin. But that's not a choice which God can make.

Quote:
Hindsight is 20/20. Not until we watch the replay of earth's history in heaven will we see as clearly as God does now. At that time we will say, "Now I understand why you had to allow things to play out the way you did. Thank you, Lord, for managing things properly. I know it broke your heart that circumstances forced you to have to make such terrible choices, but you clearly did the right thing." We should be able to take comfort in this now.

This is a good paragraph (especially the sentence starting "I know it broke your heart" -- excellent). "God allowed certain things to play out" is a good way to put it. The reason why is not difficult to understand. The alternative would be to override free will. Why evil beings make the choices they do; *that's* hard to understand!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/19/24 01:25 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!