HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication), 2,880 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Why is there suffering? [Re: Tom] #102685
09/15/08 05:29 PM
09/15/08 05:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Right.

Re: Why is there suffering? [Re: Mountain Man] #102701
09/15/08 08:50 PM
09/15/08 08:50 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Ok, so back to my question. It looks to me like the author is pretty much paraphrasing EGW's comment, yet you agree with her but disagree with him. Why?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why is there suffering? [Re: Tom] #102718
09/16/08 04:56 AM
09/16/08 04:56 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The author believes God sits back and allows the devil to do whatever he chooses; whereas, Sister White makes it clear God is in control. The devil is limited in what God allows him to do. Satan is not free to do whatever he pleases. Plus, God has done things that others have blamed on Satan.

Re: Why is there suffering? [Re: Mountain Man] #102734
09/16/08 03:59 PM
09/16/08 03:59 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The author believes God sits back and allows the devil to do whatever he chooses

Why do you think this? He certainly didn't say this. If I were a betting man, I'd take 1000 to 1 odds the author doesn't believe this. Your imputing an idea to him which has virtually no chance of being true.

Quote:
whereas, Sister White makes it clear God is in control. The devil is limited in what God allows him to do. Satan is not free to do whatever he pleases. Plus, God has done things that others have blamed on Satan.

He's just saying the same thing she is. Please compare the passages, and cite something of the author's which is different than what EGW wrote. Specifically cite something on this point where you say they are saying different things.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why is there suffering? [Re: Tom] #102762
09/16/08 07:34 PM
09/16/08 07:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
God does not permit suffering only to prove Satan's way is wrong. Sometimes He allows it to prove His way is right. Listen:

To many minds a deep mystery surrounds the fate of John the Baptist. They question why he should have been left to languish and die in prison. The mystery of this dark providence our human vision cannot penetrate; but it can never shake our confidence in God when we remember that John was but a sharer in the sufferings of Christ. . . . {CC 278.2}

Jesus did not interpose to deliver His servant. He knew that John would bear the test. Gladly would the Saviour have come to John, to brighten the dungeon gloom with His own presence. But He was not to place Himself in the hands of enemies and imperil His own mission. Gladly would He have delivered His faithful servant. But for the sake of thousands who in after years must pass from prison to death, John was to drink the cup of martyrdom. As the followers of Jesus should languish in lonely cells, or perish by the sword, the rack, or the fagot, . . . what a stay to their hearts would be the thought that John the Baptist, to whose faithfulness Christ Himself had borne witness, had passed through a similar experience! {CC 278.3}

Satan was permitted to cut short the earthly life of God's messenger; but that life which "is hid with Christ in God," the destroyer could not reach. Col. 3:3. He exulted that he had brought sorrow upon Christ, but he had failed of conquering John. Death itself only placed him forever beyond the power of temptation. . . . {CC 278.4}

God never leads His children otherwise than they would choose to be led, if they could see the end from the beginning, and discern the glory of the purpose which they are fulfilling as coworkers with Him. Not Enoch, who was translated to heaven, not Elijah, who ascended in a chariot of fire, was greater or more honored than John the Baptist, who perished alone in the dungeon. "Unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake" (Phil. 1:29). And of all the gifts that Heaven can bestow upon men, fellowship with Christ in His sufferings is the most weighty trust and the highest honor. {CC 278.5}

Re: Why is there suffering? [Re: Mountain Man] #102765
09/16/08 07:42 PM
09/16/08 07:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: The author seems to have omitted law and justice from his list of reasons.

T: He dealt with it here: "Not as some imposed penalty by a divine dictator, but the inevitable result foreseen by a loving Creator."

MM: Are you suggesting he rejected it as a reason?

TE: He said "not," so that is rejecting it as a reason.

T:[The author provides] a general framework to answer the question as to why suffering exists. His answer is it exists because "the Devil chose this way" and "we have bought into the Devil's way." I think this is exactly right.

M:So, the reason why innocent babies suffer and die is because the Devil chose [the way of sin], because people have bought into his way? This doesn't answer the questions the authored posed: "But it’s THE question when it comes to God — why doesn’t he stop it? And if God is God, can’t he intervene? So what’s the answer? Is God responsible for suffering — or at least not preventing it?"

TE: Yes, this is what he is dealing with. He raised the very questions you are asking and answered them.

The author rejects the idea that on occasion God causes or permits sinners to suffer and die because law and justice require it.

Re: Why is there suffering? [Re: Mountain Man] #102775
09/16/08 08:46 PM
09/16/08 08:46 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
God does not permit suffering only to prove Satan's way is wrong. Sometimes He allows it to prove His way is right.

MM, it's a Great Controversy. There are two parties involved. Showing Satan's way is wrong *is* showing His way is right. There are only two ways.

Quote:

The author rejects the idea that on occasion God causes or permits sinners to suffer and die because law and justice require it.

Let's not put words in his mouth. In the quote you mentioned, he said, "Not as some imposed penalty by a divine dictator, but the inevitable result foreseen by a loving Creator."

Do you disagree with this? These are his words, so let's address this, not your interpretation of my interpretation of something he said.

I'll make the question more general. Where is something the author wrote that you disagree with? Please quote it and explain what you disagree with. You should be able to do this without reference to anything I've written.

Re: Why is there suffering? [Re: Tom] #102872
09/18/08 05:52 PM
09/18/08 05:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
TE: MM, it's a Great Controversy. There are two parties involved. Showing Satan's way is wrong *is* showing His way is right. There are only two ways.

MM: I'm sorry, Tom, but I totally disagree with this idea. Proving that Satan's way is wrong does not disprove his accusations about God love and law. It is not enough for Satan to fail to produce an alternate path that is just as satisfying as God's path. Just because Satan cannot do it does not prove it's impossible. He is, after all, only a created being. In order to win the GC God must also demonstrate beyond question that His way is truly the one and only way that can satisfy people forever.

Originally Posted By: Tom
MM: The author seems to have omitted law and justice from his list of reasons.

TE: He dealt with it here: "Not as some imposed penalty by a divine dictator, but the inevitable result foreseen by a loving Creator."

MM: Are you suggesting he rejected it as a reason?

TE: He said "not," so that is rejecting it as a reason.

MM: The author rejects the idea that on occasion God causes or permits sinners to suffer and die because law and justice require it.

TE: Let's not put words in his mouth. In the quote you mentioned, he said, "Not as some imposed penalty by a divine dictator, but the inevitable result foreseen by a loving Creator."

Do you disagree with this? These are his words, so let's address this, not your interpretation of my interpretation of something he said.

Okay, let's back up to my original observation, which was, "The author seems to have omitted law and justice from his list of reasons." Do you agree? If so, why do you think he omits it?

To answer your question - I disagree with his conclusion that God allows suffering for one reason - to prove that Satan's ways are wrong.

Re: Why is there suffering? [Re: Tom] #102874
09/18/08 05:57 PM
09/18/08 05:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Here's the part I disagree with:

That’s the cosmic situation that God is dealing with. And we come with our question, "Why, God? Why is there so much pain and suffering?"

God replies something like this: "Not because I cannot prevent it, or do not wish to prevent it. Not because I do not care, or that I am unmoved by so much pain. I weep with you, and every second this evil world continues is agony to me. But I wait before I end it for a supremely important reason.

"I wait so that all may see what evil really means and where selfishness leads. I wait so that all can see the Devil in his true character. I wait so that all who will may come to me for salvation, salvation into the arms of a Father God who loves them with an undying love.

"If you want to know the answer to your question, ‘Why God?’ go to the Cross. There you will see me as I really am, two arms outstretched to save, bleeding and dying for all the suffering, misery and pain in the world."

Just like Jesus who wept while on this earth, God weeps. Not as a powerless being, but precisely because he has the power. His heart aches to heal this world of evil, to wipe away every tears from every eye, to be with his people and be their God, face to face.10 But because he is God, and he wants all to understand him and love him without compulsion, he waits. "He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."11

Why is there evil and suffering? Because the Devil chose this way, which is the opposite of God. How can we say that God is uncaring, that he willingly allows sin and suffering? So often we or the Devil cause evil, and then all of us blame God!

We have bought into the Devil’s way, and experience the consequences of trying to go our own way. Not under the punitive hostility of God, but because choosing wrong instead of right has its own natural results. Tragically, such a viewpoint does lead to death, just as God said it would. Not as some imposed penalty by a divine dictator, but the inevitable result foreseen by a loving Creator.

Think for a moment. What is the alternative? For God to intervene in every situation? To stop the car crashing, to prevent the earthquake, to defuse the terrorist’s bomb? The result would be a world in which evil is never seen for what it truly is, for it never has its diabolical consequences. A world where God by his intervening power takes care of every problem; a world of eternal evil that can have no end.

Only as the conflict is resolved through the unmasking of evil’s real face, only as God is demonstrated to be the loving, compassionate Being he says he is, only as all his creation agrees with him that he was right all along—only then can God bring this rebellion to a close. Those who have chosen the Devil’s way will be allowed their choice of final non-existence in the end-time destruction. And then, and only then, can God create a new heaven and a new earth, a place where righteousness dwells and the goodness of God reigns supreme.12

Re: Why is there suffering? [Re: Mountain Man] #102876
09/18/08 06:18 PM
09/18/08 06:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
First he says - "So often we or the Devil cause evil, and then all of us blame God! We have bought into the Devil’s way, and experience the consequences of trying to go our own way."

Then he adds - "Think for a moment. What is the alternative? For God to intervene in every situation? To stop the car crashing, to prevent the earthquake, to defuse the terrorist’s bomb? The result would be a world in which evil is never seen for what it truly is, for it never has its diabolical consequences."

His examples are inconsistent with his conclusions, especially the first two. How does crashing a car illustrate the "consequences of trying to go our own way"? How does an earthquake illustrate the "consequences of trying to go our own way"? And, why would defusing a bomb every once in awhile, to save innocent lives, prevent us from realizing that terrorism is bad?

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!