HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 3,263 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 44 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 43 44
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: I Am His] #102181
08/31/08 07:28 AM
08/31/08 07:28 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
She might have a little difficulty with the meat of the word too!

\:\)

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Rosangela] #102182
08/31/08 08:01 AM
08/31/08 08:01 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
By scott: you find fault with me rather than Rosangela (Ellen over the Bible)

Quote:
By Rosangela:
Scott,

It's easy for you to accuse me of something untrue, but impossible for you to prove what you are saying. I also could accuse you of a lot of things, but I never did that. Now, I had quoten the Bible to substantiate my view in my previous post, so there was no need to quote it again:

Hi Rosangela,

I didn’t quit know how to respond to your statement, but I realized that you thought the post you were commenting on was talking about you. I was talking to Arnold. My point had nothing to do with you other than you quoted Ellen and I quoted Paul where they disagree and Arnold seemed to choose Ellen over Paul.

I think a lot of tension comes from Ellen’s background. Her knowledge of righteousness by faith was limited before 1888 and the very message of 1888 is the gospel. So in a sense everything she wrote before she understood the gospel clearly had a legalist tint to it. After 1888 she wrote her best work. Steps to Christ, Desire of Ages, Mount of Blessings, and Christ Object Lessons all expose a softening on works and a greater dependence on Christ and Him crucified. It takes time for truth to do its work in all of us and Ellen was no exception.

scott

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: asygo] #102217
09/01/08 04:51 PM
09/01/08 04:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: asygo
A: Are you saying that the judgments and statutes were part of the OC?

MM: Yes. The OC was given to teach the Jews how to obey the NC. But it included aspects that were burdensome. These aspects were necessary to help keep the sin-hardened Jews on track. These aspects were nailed to the cross.

A: But if the statutes and judgments were founded on the same principle of love as the and 10C and the NC, why would they be nailed to the cross? The only reason I could think of is if they were a types, and the antitype had already come. Is that what you're saying, that they were types?

Yeah, the shadowy types were nice in theory but a burden in practice, especially for Jews who lived a long ways from Jerusalem and/or who were very poor. It is so much easier now than it was back then. Eating crackers and drinking juice once every 3 months is a breeze compared to yesteryear. I'm glad Jesus nailed the types to the cross, that He no longer requires us to observe them like the Jews once had to.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Mountain Man] #102233
09/01/08 07:52 PM
09/01/08 07:52 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Yeah, the shadowy types were nice in theory but a burden in practice, especially for Jews who lived a long ways from Jerusalem and/or who were very poor. It is so much easier now than it was back then. Eating crackers and drinking juice once every 3 months is a breeze compared to yesteryear. I'm glad Jesus nailed the types to the cross, that He no longer requires us to observe them like the Jews once had to.

That's painting with quite a broad brush. Of course, the animal sacrifices pointed to the true Lamb, and therefore we do not do those anymore. But I can think of a few things that were not shadows.

1) The prohibition against pork. What did that foreshadow? Was that nailed to the cross?

2) Providing for strangers, widows, orphans. What did that foreshadow? Isn't that still a manifestation of the love that Jesus enjoins upon us today?

EGW said these things explained in finer detail how to love as the 10C requires. If they show us how to love, why would Jesus nail them to the cross? He would have as much reason to nail the 10C on the cross, which is what some argue.

Last edited by asygo; 09/01/08 07:53 PM.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: asygo] #102250
09/02/08 01:56 AM
09/02/08 01:56 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Arnold, the two points you outlined above were clearly not types or shadows that were nailed to the cross. I agree with you that they were given to help us keep and obey the 10Cs. Only the ceremonial laws were nailed to the cross.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: asygo] #102251
09/02/08 04:33 AM
09/02/08 04:33 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: asygo
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

That's painting with quite a broad brush. Of course, the animal sacrifices pointed to the true Lamb, and therefore we do not do those anymore. But I can think of a few things that were not shadows.

1) The prohibition against pork. What did that foreshadow? Was that nailed to the cross?

2) Providing for strangers, widows, orphans. What did that foreshadow? Isn't that still a manifestation of the love that Jesus enjoins upon us today?

EGW said these things explained in finer detail how to love as the 10C requires. If they show us how to love, why would Jesus nail them to the cross? He would have as much reason to nail the 10C on the cross, which is what some argue.

I think you are missing the whole point of the scripture. Just because the law completed its work doesn't mean that everything it forbade in the OC is now sanctioned in the NC. The fact that prohibition on unclean animals was incorporated into the OC doesn't mean that it started there or that it ends there. Sabbath, unclean, priesthood, feasts, sacrifice, temple, and many other things pre-existed the OC. Unclean meats started as a health issue after the flood, but became a spiritual issue in the OC. Unclean meats are just as bad for your health now as they were from the beginning.

They were forbidden in the OC, but in the NC we find a different reason for staying away from them . . . We are God's temple and we are to take care of our bodies. We don't need the OC to tell us that nor do we need laws for believers when salvation is a personal issue and each believer has been given the Holy Spirit.

Providing for the widows and orphans doesn't need to be commanded by law when the Spirit of Christ is manifest in the NC. He writes the law on our hearts and we become empathetic to the needs of others.

Dissecting the OC and keeping the parts that fit your fancy is one of the main reasons we have so many denominations and so much division in the church. The whole OC including the clean and unclean, tithing, 10C, ceremonial law, feast laws, tabernacle, priesthood, sacrifice, and everything it included represent an obsolete system of law that didn't have the power to change our hearts, but they were proficient in leading us to Christ where we make peace with God and are filled with the Holy Spirit.

Once we have Christ and are filled with His Spirit we will pay much more than just tithe, be much more self controlled, be much more concerned with our health, love Christ's sacrifice much more than the animals, love Christ's priesthood, love the symbols of Christ's body, and much more likely to become like Christ because of the NC.

scott

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: scott] #102332
09/04/08 03:32 PM
09/04/08 03:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Scott, I agree with you, but I noticed you left out certain aspects of the law of Moses. Of the 613 laws articulated in the law of Moses which ones will we keep now that the Holy Spirit is dwelling within us, empowering us to be like Jesus? And, which ones will we not keep?

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: scott] #102392
09/07/08 12:35 AM
09/07/08 12:35 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Finally back after a tiresome moving packing/unpacking process and many days without internet connection.

Quote:
Do you suppose that if Ellen had an affair and murdered her lover's spouse you would accept her testimony?

Not obviously if she had written something while in sin, but after she had repented and been forgiven by God, why not? The past is past. If Mary Magdalene had been inspired by God to write something, why wouldn’t any of us accept it?

Quote:
By Rosangela: No prophet is infallible in his personal life, but when he/she is conveying a spiritual message from God, that message must be free from errors, otherwise the recipients of the message would be at a loss to distinguish what is true from what is false.
By Scott: I always thought that the safeguard was the law and the testimony. If they speak not according to these things there is no light in them! The true law being God’s character of love and the testimony being the testimony of Jesus that showed us what God’s character of love looked like.

???? What do you mean? How did people know which messages were inspired by God before Christ came and “showed us what God’s character of love looked like”?
What the Bible says is, “God having spoken in many parts and in many ways formerly to the fathers in the prophets, at the end of these days has spoken to us in the person of the Son” (Heb. 1:1,2).

Quote:
By Rosangela: He narrated, for our benefit, his spiritual struggles, and how he overcame them. We many times experience the same feelings he experienced.
By Scott: Do you suppose if Ellen wrote to God asking Him to kill her enemies mothers and smash their babies against rocks you would follow her?

The prophet in Psalm 137 is not at all making a prayer or expressing a personal wish, but making a prophetic declaration, in figurative language, about Babylon’s fate (see Isa. 13:16).

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: scott] #102393
09/07/08 12:52 AM
09/07/08 12:52 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
This is where it gets pretty sticky doesn't it? You seem to have a pretty clean view of the prophetic gift all wrapped up in a nice box with a ribbon, but the fact is God used some pretty wild characters to prophecy and carry his words.

Jonah said that he knew God was kind and that he knew God was forgiving, but chose to preach destruction only because that’s really what Jonah wanted to see happen. Had Jonah preached like John the Baptist, cared about the people, and loved his enemies he would have interceded for them rather than displayed his narcissistic self pity. He would have preached forgiveness. He only preached the part he wanted to and left out what he knew about God.

The prophet is imperfect, the message is perfect – this is simple. If the Lord allowed the prophet to convey a wrong message, someone might be lost because of that – and, of course, the fault would be God’s – for He allowed a flawed message to be conveyed. Some may indeed be lost for twisting, or for understanding incorrectly, the prophet’s message – but then, the fault is theirs, not God’s. “As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things. Therein are some things hard to understand, which those who are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other Scriptures, unto their own destruction” (2 Peter 3:16).

Quote:
The bottom line is that Jonah said that in 40 days there would be destruction and it didn’t happen. According to the test that says if a prophet prophecies and it doesn’t come true then he is a false prophet Jonah is therefore a false prophet . . . . or . . . . there might be exceptions to the little rules.

There are several conditional prophecies in the Bible. Moses also told the people they would enter immediately in the promised land. This, of course, never happened.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: scott] #102394
09/07/08 01:01 AM
09/07/08 01:01 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
I think a lot of tension comes from Ellen’s background. Her knowledge of righteousness by faith was limited before 1888 and the very message of 1888 is the gospel. So in a sense everything she wrote before she understood the gospel clearly had a legalist tint to it. After 1888 she wrote her best work. Steps to Christ, Desire of Ages, Mount of Blessings, and Christ Object Lessons all expose a softening on works and a greater dependence on Christ and Him crucified. It takes time for truth to do its work in all of us and Ellen was no exception.

I agree a prophet can mature in his/her understanding of truth. I don't agree he/she can convey a wrong message.

Page 17 of 44 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 43 44

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!