HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,638
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,276 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 26 of 55 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 54 55
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #102304
09/03/08 03:02 PM
09/03/08 03:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I, too, am taking Paul at his word.

How so? Paul says

Quote:
On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.”

This seems like the exact opposite of your position. You say Paul knew about covetousness instinctively. He says he would not have known it unless the law had said, "You shall not covet."

What am I missing here?

Quote:
I am also saying this fact is true of each one of the ten commandments - not just the last six. God designed us to feel bad and miserable whenever we violate one of His commandments. It matters not that people do not understand breaking the law of God is what makes them miserable.

I agree with this.

Quote:
In the case of feeling miserable because they are breaking the first half of the law, they are incapable of identifying the cause of their misery before learning about it through Bible study and prayer. But when they break the last half of the law, they are able to identify and articulate the behaviors that make them feel miserable.

I disagree with this. Paul said he wouldn't have known covetousness except the law said, "You shall not covet."

Quote:
The shelves are full of secular books on the subject.

Yes, but they're all wrong. It's only through "Bible study and prayer," to use your expression, that the cause can be correctly identified. The way I would put it is that spiritual things are spiritually discerned, so only by the Spirit of God can the cause be correctly identified. What is the cause for their misery? Not knowing Christ. The sins are simply an outward manifestation of the real cause of their misery.

Quote:
For example, people know naturally that dishonoring their parents makes them feel weird and miserable. People know instinctively that murder, adultery, stealing, lying, and coveting are wrong and leave them feeling miserable when they fail to resist committing them. There is no shortage of worldly books and therapists to verify these findings and observations.

First of all, your use of the word "instinctively " is too facile. People know things by a combination of genetics and environment. It's very difficult to distinguish between the two, and only God could apportion them correctly, but there's no doubt that both instinct and learning are involved.

Secondly, your point would equally apply to the first four commandments (excluding the Sabbath). People know that using God's name in vain is wrong. People know it's wrong not to acknowledge God and to be thankful to him. Paul makes this point in Romans 1.

So there's no reason to make a distinction between the first four commandments and the last six (except for the fourth, which is clearly unique).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #102361
09/05/08 04:40 PM
09/05/08 04:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
This seems like the exact opposite of your position. You say Paul knew about covetousness instinctively. He says he would not have known it unless the law had said, "You shall not covet." What am I missing here?

The law spoke to him in several different ways - 1) through every fiber and function of his being, 2) through his parents, and 3) through the Bible. Again, here is how she describes the first of these ways:

EV 265
God has written His law upon every nerve and muscle, every fiber and function of the human body. {Ev 265.4}

OHC 266
His law is written by His own finger upon every nerve, every muscle, every fiber of our being, upon every faculty which has been entrusted to man. {OHC 266.2}

TE 213
All nature expresses the law of God, but in our physical structure Jehovah has written His law with His own finger upon every thrilling nerve, upon every living fiber, and upon every organ of the body. {Te 213.5}

In Romans 7 Paul is describing the spiritual aspects of the law. This aspect didn't dawn on him until later on. Listen:

SC 29
Paul says that as "touching the righteousness which is in the law"--as far as outward acts were concerned --he was "blameless" (Philippians 3:6); but when the spiritual character of the law was discerned, he saw himself a sinner. Judged by the letter of the law as men apply it to the outward life, he had abstained from sin; but when he looked into the depths of its holy precepts, and saw himself as God saw him, he bowed in humiliation and confessed his guilt. He says, "I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died." Romans 7:9. When he saw the spiritual nature of the law, sin appeared in its true hideousness, and his self-esteem was gone. {SC 29.3}

I disagree with this. Paul said he wouldn't have known covetousness except the law said, "You shall not covet."

Again, he knew it because of the fruit it produced, namely, he felt miserable. Plus, he knew it because his parents told him from the time he was old enough to comprehend it. But in cases where people haven't been told about the 10th commandment they are still able to put two and two together, that is, they know from experience that coveting something that's not theirs to have makes them feel miserable. No one has to read about it in the Bible before they come to this conclusion, as if learning about it in the Bible is what makes them feel miserable. They feel miserable because that's how God designed them. Surely you agree with this insight?

Yes, but [the secular books] all wrong. It's only through "Bible study and prayer," to use your expression, that the cause can be correctly identified.

True, most secular books do not teach that the reason people feel miserable when they covet what's not theirs to have is because God designed them that way. But they correctly teach that coveting makes people feel miserable. Do you agree?

The way I would put it is that spiritual things are spiritually discerned, so only by the Spirit of God can the cause be correctly identified.

I agree. But this is true whether they realize it or not. The reason they are able to identify covetousness as the cause of their misery is because the Holy Spirit is wooing them.

What is the cause for their misery? Not knowing Christ. The sins are simply an outward manifestation of the real cause of their misery.

True, not knowing and abiding in Jesus makes us miserable. But so does covetousness. Are you saying covetousness is one of the inevitable fruits of not knowing Jesus? Are all non-believers covetous by default?

... there's no doubt that both instinct and learning are involved.

I'm glad you agree.

People know that using God's name in vain is wrong. People know it's wrong not to acknowledge God and to be thankful to him.

How do they know? If both instinct and learning are required, as you observed above, how would they know the truth about God if they hadn't read about Him in the Bible? Can they learn about God through the natural world? If so, please cite a tribe that correctly concluded the truth about God through studying nature alone. Most tribes have concluded there are many gods, and they are terrified of them. Listen as Sister White talks about it:

CG 47
Only in the light that shines from Calvary can nature's teaching be read aright. {CG 47.3}

SC 10
God has bound our hearts to Him by unnumbered tokens in heaven and in earth. Through the things of nature, and the deepest and tenderest earthly ties that human hearts can know, He has sought to reveal Himself to us. Yet these but imperfectly represent His love. Though all these evidences have been given, the enemy of good blinded the minds of men, so that they looked upon God with fear; they thought of Him as severe and unforgiving. Satan led men to conceive of God as a being whose chief attribute is stern justice,--one who is a severe judge, a harsh, exacting creditor. He pictured the Creator as a being who is watching with jealous eye to discern the errors and mistakes of men, that He may visit judgments upon them. It was to remove this dark shadow, by revealing to the world the infinite love of God, that Jesus came to live among men. {SC 10.3}

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #102363
09/05/08 05:29 PM
09/05/08 05:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
In Romans 7 Paul is describing the spiritual aspects of the law. This aspect didn't dawn on him until later on.

Only the spiritual aspects of the law matter. This is all I've ever been talking about. If a person keeps the law in a spiritual manner, all is well. If he doesn't, he is condemned.

So we are agreed then that from a spiritual standpoint it is not the case that people know the last six commandments instinctively?

Quote:
there's no doubt that both instinct and learning are involved.

I'm glad you agree.

This is what I've been saying all along, from my very first post on the subject. I'm glad *you* agree!

The whole time I've been arguing against a theory that says:

a.The first four commandments are learned.
b.The last six are instinctive.

My position has been (again, starting from my first post on this subject) that commandments from both tables (with the Sabbath being a special case) involve both instinct and learning.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #102416
09/07/08 09:19 PM
09/07/08 09:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
SC 29
Paul says that as "touching the righteousness which is in the law"--as far as outward acts were concerned --he was "blameless" (Philippians 3:6); but when the spiritual character of the law was discerned, he saw himself a sinner. Judged by the letter of the law as men apply it to the outward life, he had abstained from sin; but when he looked into the depths of its holy precepts, and saw himself as God saw him, he bowed in humiliation and confessed his guilt. He says, "I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died." Romans 7:9. When he saw the spiritual nature of the law, sin appeared in its true hideousness, and his self-esteem was gone. {SC 29.3}

Only the spiritual aspects of the law matter. This is all I've ever been talking about. If a person keeps the law in a spiritual manner, all is well. If he doesn't, he is condemned.

So we are agreed then that from a spiritual standpoint it is not the case that people know the last six commandments instinctively?

Correct. No one knows instinctively that the law condemns sinners and that if they do not repent they will be resurrected, judged, and punished in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness in the lake of fire.

I'm glad we agree, but this isn't what I've been sharing. Again, here is what I believe:

1. People are born with the law of God written on every nerve and function of their physical being.

2. People know instinctively that dishonoring their parents, murder, adultery, stealing, lying, and coveting makes them feel miserable.

3. People feel miserable violating the first four commandments but they cannot identify the cause or source until they learn about it through Bible study and prayer.

And, the reason I have been sharing these insights is to say it is impossible to violate the second half of God's law without realizing it makes them feel miserable and is, therefore, morally wrong. Sins of ignorance can only apply to the first half of the law.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #102422
09/08/08 12:41 AM
09/08/08 12:41 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
T:So we are agreed then that from a spiritual standpoint it is not the case that people know the last six commandments instinctively?

M:Correct.

Ok, good, because this is what I've been speaking of when I've been saying that it is not the case that the last six commandments are known instinctively.

Quote:
No one knows instinctively that the law condemns sinners and that if they do not repent they will be resurrected, judged, and punished in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness in the lake of fire.

Well, this is a different subject. You could open a thread to discuss this.

Quote:
I'm glad we agree, but this isn't what I've been sharing.

Ok, so when you've been speaking about the last six commandments being known instinctively, you've been thinking in a non-spiritual sense.

Quote:
Again, here is what I believe:

1. People are born with the law of God written on every nerve and function of their physical being.

This would be spiritual, though, wouldn't it? So we can throw this out.

Quote:
2. People know instinctively that dishonoring their parents, murder, adultery, stealing, lying, and coveting makes them feel miserable.

What you are asserting here, it seems to me, is that people know that when they do certain things, like coveting, that doing so makes them miserable. They know they are miserable if they do any of the things included in the last six commanments, but they don't know they are miserable if they do any of the things in the first four commandments. This is what you're saying, right?

Quote:
3. People feel miserable violating the first four commandments but they cannot identify the cause or source until they learn about it through Bible study and prayer.

This seems to contradict Romans 1, where Paul says that people are condemned because they are not thankful to God.

Quote:
And, the reason I have been sharing these insights is to say it is impossible to violate the second half of God's law without realizing it makes them feel miserable and is, therefore, morally wrong.

This implies that anything that makes you feel miserable is morally wrong. Do you really believe this to be the case?

Quote:
Sins of ignorance can only apply to the first half of the law.

This seems worthy of a thread. I'll see if there's any interest in discussing this.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #102477
09/10/08 01:48 AM
09/10/08 01:48 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
. . . but they don't know they are miserable if they do any of the things in the first four commandments. This is what you're saying, right?

No. They sense an emptiness, which makes them feel miserable, but they are unable to identify why, nor can they articulate what the source of their misery and emptiness is. IOW, they could not say, The reason I'm miserable is because I have other gods.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #102478
09/10/08 01:01 PM
09/10/08 01:01 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
They sense an emptiness, which makes them feel miserable, but they are unable to identify why, nor can they articulate what the source of their misery and emptiness is. IOW, they could not say, The reason I'm miserable is because I have other gods.

But you would say that this doesn't apply to the last six commandments, right? That is, if they covet they have a sense an emptiness, which makes them feel miserable, which they could identify: "I feel miserable because I covet!"

Some questions and comments.

1.Paul says he wouldn't have known covetousness if not for the law. So it's not something he knew by instinct.

2.Even if it were granted that people could identify their miserableness as being due to coveting, what makes you think this is something instinctive as opposed to learned?

3.You assumption that people cannot identify why they feel empty if their emptiness is due to the first 4 commandments looks to be contradicted:

Quote:
18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

21For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. (Romans 1)

This says they suppress the truth, that they know of God's divine nature, and that the reason that they know the truth is because God has made it plain to them.

4.The difficulty I've seen with your position the whole time is you make two (what look to me to be) artificial and unfounded assumptions for which you offer no proof in saying that men know the last 6 commandments instinctively but not the first 4.

The first is to want to make a clean separation between instinct and learning. The truth is that what man knows is a combination of instinct and learning.

The second is to make a distinction between the first 4 commandments and the last 6.

I haven't seen any evidence presented for either of these ideas.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #102532
09/12/08 05:32 PM
09/12/08 05:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Again, people are born with the law of God written upon every nerve and function. That's the proof. We both agree with this inspired insight. Where we disagree is whether or not people can instinctively identify the cause of what makes them feel miserable. We both agree it requires both instinct and learning. You make no distinction between the first and second half of the law (excluding the Sabbath commandment). What I'm not clear on is why you think people know naturally the first three commandments. How do they arrive at these truths?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #102557
09/13/08 01:05 AM
09/13/08 01:05 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Again, people are born with the law of God written upon every nerve and function. That's the proof.

If the statement said people were born with the last table of the law of God written upon every nerve and function, that would be evidence. As it is, the statement is evidence against your position, as it includes both tables of the law, whereas you only include one.

Quote:
Where we disagree is whether or not people can instinctively identify the cause of what makes them feel miserable.

This is something you just introduced recently. For either commandments in the first or second table a person will have some instinctive knowledge that what they are doing is wrong, and some learned. It's simplistic to say for the last table the causes are 100% identifiable instinctively.

Polygamy is an example that this isn't the case. People seem not to know instinctively this is wrong. Also living with someone without being married. It would seem absurd to assert that one would know this is wrong, since that would imply one knows by instinct what marriage is. Surely marriage is something one learns about.

Quote:
What I'm not clear on is why you think people know naturally the first three commandments. How do they arrive at these truths?

From the SOP statement that the law is written on every nerve and function. Also from Romans 1, which I've already quoted several times.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #102577
09/13/08 03:12 PM
09/13/08 03:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
If the statement said people were born with the last table of the law of God written upon every nerve and function, that would be evidence. As it is, the statement is evidence against your position, as it includes both tables of the law, whereas you only include one.

Let me clarify what I believe. I believe the law of God, all ten commandments, including the fourth, is written upon every fiber and function of our being from conception. People instinctively feel bad when their life is in any way not in harmony with all ten of the commandments, including the fourth.

Polygamy is an example that this isn't the case. People seem not to know instinctively this is wrong. Also living with someone without being married. It would seem absurd to assert that one would know this is wrong, since that would imply one knows by instinct what marriage is. Surely marriage is something one learns about.

People are born with an instinctive need for a monogamous relationship. True, they are not born with an instinctive need to get married in a church, or in accordance with one of the many different cultural customs. People also instinctively know it is wrong to have more than one wife when the situation doesn't demand it.

MM: Why you think people know naturally the first three commandments. How do they arrive at these truths?

TE: From the SOP statement that the law is written on every nerve and function. Also from Romans 1, which I've already quoted several times.

Please cite an example of people arriving at these truths who have never read the Bible, whose beliefs cannot be traced back to biblical truths. Thank you.

Page 26 of 55 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/19/24 01:25 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!