HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,636
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 7
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,454 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 27 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 26 27
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #103080
09/23/08 01:55 AM
09/23/08 01:55 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
Or, to put it another way, please explain to me how both of the following can be true:

1.God knew with certainty Christ would not fail.
2.Christ failed.

That would mean that God didn't know what He was talking about. That's why we all agree that it would have been very bad if Jesus failed, not just for us but for everyone else as well.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #103081
09/23/08 02:23 AM
09/23/08 02:23 AM
A
Aaron  Offline
TN
Lets assume God does know the future perfectly. Wouldnt there be a distinction between God deciding to do something and planning to do something? A plan would be conditional and responsive to our free choice. God could know what a nation will do but still give the opportunity for them to do it in actual history. It would need to be this way for fairness wouldnt it? How else would we have a real opportunity to repent? God gave a warning to Nineveh so they had the chance to repent.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Aaron] #103082
09/23/08 02:46 AM
09/23/08 02:46 AM
A
Aaron  Offline
TN
actually the points from the last post was from a paper my friend gave here is the link so you can read it in full if anyone wishes.

http://www.atsjats.org/publication.php?pub_id=331&journal=1&cmd=view&hash=

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: asygo] #103090
09/23/08 03:16 PM
09/23/08 03:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
T:So if "did God mean that as a 100% certainty" means "God meant it was 100% certain that Christ would succeed," that would have to be false, right?

A:That conclusion requires some unspoken premises added to the ones above, which I don't want to address this time around.

Perhaps the unspoken premises are necessary to address to adequately answer your question.

I'm sure we will eventually need to hash out every premise. But my question for now is purely on your conclusion, not the premises or the logic behind it. In short, I only want to confirm that I understand what you arrived at, not how you arrived at it.

Ok, I said, "So if 'did God mean that as a 100% certainty' means 'God meant it was 100% certain that Christ would succeed,' that would have to be false, right?"

Since the first half of this is just restating a question in another way, what this comes down to is how did I conclude that if God meant "it was 100% certain that Christ would succeed," how did I conclude that this would have to be false.

I concluded this must be false because we have agreed that Christ could have failed. So my conclusion is the following:

a.Christ could have failed.
b.Therefore the statement "it was 100% certain that Christ would succeed" is false.

Doesn't b follow immediately from a? If not, how not?

Quote:
We seem to differ on the relationship between what can happen and what will happen. In my view, the existence of multiple options that can happen does not eliminate the possibility of someone knowing what will happen.

IOW, I reject the analogy to quantum mechanics, but look at it more like chaos theory. And as far as QM goes, just because most physicists currently believe that the universe is probabilistic does not mean that it is. There was a time when all physicists believed that it was deterministic.

So I gather you think they're wrong? That is, you believe the universe is deterministic?

Quote:
Anyway, I believe that when God promised, "He shall bruise your head," He was 100% certain of it. God's word is sure.

Then it looks like you have a contradiction of logic in your belief system, as follows.

1.If God is certain something will happen, then it is certain the thing will happen.
2.If a thing is certain to happen, then the risk of it's not happening is 0.

Which of these statements do you disagree with? If you disagree with neither, then how is there not a contradiction?

For example:

1.God was certain Christ would succeed.
2.Christ might have failed.

I changed the "could" previously to "might" to see if that makes any difference to you, because it doesn't to me. By my saying "Christ could have failed" what I meant is there was a chance, greater than 0, that the event "Christ fails" could have occurred. Perhaps you disagree with this, and "Christ could have failed" means something different to you than this. I don't know, but it looks like a contradiction here.

Here's another way of putting it.

1.a.God was certain Christ would succeed.
1.b.God was certain Christ would not fail.
2.Christ might have failed.

Let A = The probability that Christ would fail. 1.b. is equivalent to 1.b. From 1.b. Prob(A)=0. From 2 Prob(A)>0.

I'll await your explanation as to how you don't see a contradiction here.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #103091
09/23/08 03:35 PM
09/23/08 03:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Lets assume God does know the future perfectly.

I believe this. I think we all do. We disagree as to what this means, because "knowing the future" means something different to us, but we all believe God knows the future perfectly. Where we differ is in what we believe the future consists of.

Say there's a box, and you believe that inside the box there is a book, whereas I believe inside the box there's a cup. We both agree that God knows what's in the box. But you think God knows there's a book in the box whereas I think God knows there's a cup in the box.

I just want to make clear what it is that we're disagreeing about. We're disagreeing about the contents of the box, not whether God can see in the box.

Quote:
Wouldn't there be a distinction between God deciding to do something and planning to do something? A plan would be conditional and responsive to our free choice. God could know what a nation will do but still give the opportunity for them to do it in actual history. It would need to be this way for fairness wouldnt it? How else would we have a real opportunity to repent? God gave a warning to Nineveh so they had the chance to repent.

God wouldn't really be reacting to anything in this scenario. That is, if the future were as you are suggesting it to be, and God's knowledge of it were definite (as opposed to open) He could not react to anything, since, from His perspective, there would be nothing to react to.

For example:

Quote:
Then the word of the Lord came to me: 6Can I not do with you, O house of Israel, just as this potter has done? says the Lord. Just like the clay in the potter’s hand, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel. 7At one moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, 8but if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will change my mind about the disaster that I intended to bring on it. 9And at another moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it, 10but if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will change my mind about the good that I had intended to do to it.(Jer. 18)

If the future were as you are suggesting (and God's knowledge of it), then God could not change His mind.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #103092
09/23/08 03:57 PM
09/23/08 03:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Aaron, I read your friend's paper. I thought it was well written, and agreed with much of it. In particular, I think his conclusion regarding God's changelessness having to do with character is right on the mark, as is his rejection of the Greek concepts of stoicism and immutability applied to God.

However, there are two points I take issue with. One is regarding God as the potter. I think he made the wrong point. The point of the Potter is that He is able to shape the clay however he wants; it's not an argument of sovereignty.

To understand why God answers the way He does, it's necessary to understand the dilemma He is responding to. Jeremiah had made prophesies of the evil that was about to occur. The people responded, "We are doomed! If God has prophesied against us, there's nothing we can do about it." God answers, "Not at all. Cannot the potter do what He wishes with the clay? You are clay in My hands, and I am a skillful potter. If you will repent, I can shape you into a vessel of beauty."

So the Potter image is not emphasizing God's sovereignty, but the people's. It emphasizes God's ability to shape the people according to His will *if* they will exercise their will accordingly. If affirms the people's sovereignty, and God's ability to accomplish His will if they choose to cooperate with Him.

The second point of disagreement is related. The author actually cited Sanders in a footnote, and captured his point that the passage speaks in conditional terms of *both* the Potter and the pot, but then ignored this point later on in the paper. But Sander's point is an important one. Not only is the people's actions conditional, but so is God's. If they change the way they act, He "changes His mind"; He actually *purposes* something different than He had previously been purposing. This doesn't allow for the future being determined.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #103127
09/24/08 11:45 PM
09/24/08 11:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM: Tom, if A&E had successfully withstood Satan’s assault, Jesus would not have needed to die to redeem us. Without the death of Jesus, upon what grounds would God have destroyed the evil angels?

TE: You're question is assuming that the destruction of the evil angels occurs because of God rather than sin.

Let's assume you're right, for a moment. Here's the question reworded - Without the death of Jesus, upon what grounds would God have allowed the evil angels to experience the "inevitable result of sin"? This question is asked with the following insight in mind:

"By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. {DA 764.1}

"At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. {DA 764.2}

Quote:
MM: And, what about the unfallen beings? What would have made them more secure against evil than they were before Lucifer rebelled?

TE: Do you mean if Jesus Christ hadn't died? We don't know. I know of one person who believes Christ would have died anyway, for precisely this reason. However, I believe God could have communicated the truths necessary to secure the universe without Christ's death, but we don't know how, because we, as human being, could understand it in no other way. I believe that just because there's no other way that we could understand, it doesn't follow that there was no other way that other beings could understand it.

It's a valid hypothetical question. The SOP makes it clear A&E would have been eternally secure had they resisted Satan's initial attack. They would have been spared the experiential knowledge of evil. The death of Jesus would not have been necessary for them to understand the execution of justice and judgment - the punishment, destruction, and extermination of evil angels.

The question is - Why would it have been clear to them? Keep in mind we're talking about just a few months after rebellion broke out in heaven. You say it wasn't until 4,000 years later that the holy angels finally got it, that they were finally able to understand it - the cause and effect relationship between rebellion and retribution, between sin and death.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #103128
09/25/08 12:36 AM
09/25/08 12:36 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM: In the following passages Ellen makes it clear unfallen beings were solidly on God's side way before the death of Jesus on the cross. His death "confirmed" their loyalty and allegiance - it did not establish it. Also, they were ready for the evil angels to die way before Jesus died on the cross. His death "confirmed" their readiness - it did not establish it. His death did not remove doubt - it "confirmed" their faith.

TE: So how do you understand the following?

Do you agree with my assessment of her insights?

Quote:
"That which alone can effectually restrain from sin in this world of darkness, will prevent sin in heaven. The significance of the death of Christ will be seen by saints and angels. (QOD 680)...The angels ascribe honor and glory to Christ, for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God. It is through the efficacy of the cross that the angels of heaven are guarded from apostasy. Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan. (ST 12/30/89)

I haven't been able to understand your point, MM. Do you think she is wrong here? Do you think she is saying something different than what she appears to be saying? If so, what do you think she is saying? If you agree that she means what she appears to be saying, that without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan, then doesn't it follow that they were more secure after the cross than before it?

"Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan."

I do not believe this insight means the angels were not secure against evil before rebellion broke out in heaven. It is obvious from the quotes I posted above that the angels knew God as well as they could possibly know Him, that there was nothing more He could have done to help them know Him better. Thus, the cross didn't reveal something about God He hadn't already revealed to them.

So, what is the relationship between 1) knowing God as well as the angels did and 2) being secure against evil? What is the connection between knowing God and being secure against evil? Does knowing God as well as possible equal being as secure against evil as possible? If not, why not?

How secure against evil were the angels before rebellion broke out in heaven? Were they as secure against evil as possible? If not, why not? What more could God have done to make them more secure against evil? I am interested in your answers, Tom.

Here is how I answer them. Yes, before rebellion broke out in heaven the angels were as secure against evil as it is possible to be. There was nothing more God could do to help them be more secure against evil than they were. The cross confirmed their faith. It did not make them more secure than they were. They were already as secure as they could be.

"Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan." Before rebellion broke out in heaven the angels were familiar with the attributes of God's law and love that were revealed at the cross. True, they had never seen them revealed in that manner before, but seeing them revealed in that manner does not mean they learned something about God they didn't already know as well as could be known.

Nevertheless, angels mature more and more every day. They were more mature the day after evil angels were banished to earth than they were the day before it happened. For 4,000 years the angels matured more and more every day. They were more mature the day after Jesus died than they were before He died. In this sense, the angels are more secure against evil than they were before rebellion broke out in heaven.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Mountain Man] #103133
09/25/08 02:53 AM
09/25/08 02:53 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Let's assume you're right, for a moment. Here's the question reworded - Without the death of Jesus, upon what grounds would God have allowed the evil angels to experience the "inevitable result of sin"? This question is asked with the following insight in mind:

"By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. {DA 764.1}

"At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. {DA 764.2}

I already addressed this by saying that as human beings, the cross was necessary. It's the only way the charges of Satan could be resolved in a way that we can understand. I have a conviction that God could have done it some other way, without Jesus having to die, if human beings did not rebel, but being a human being myself, I couldn't tell you how.

Quote:
It's a valid hypothetical question. The SOP makes it clear A&E would have been eternally secure had they resisted Satan's initial attack. They would have been spared the experiential knowledge of evil. The death of Jesus would not have been necessary for them to understand the execution of justice and judgment - the punishment, destruction, and extermination of evil angels.

I don't think you're putting this very well. Here's DA 764:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

You put it as if the destruction of the angels was something God was doing to them, as opposed to the result of their own choice, which EGW is arguing here. If you said it like she did, something like "The death of Jesus would not have been necessary for them to understand the destruction of the angels" I would agree, with the understanding that her statement that they are destroyed when "left" to "reap the full result of their sin" and that their destruction is "the inevitable result of sin."

It should be born in mind that what causes destruction is sin/Satan. In fact, the name "Apollyon," a reference to Satan, means "Destoyer".

Quote:
Read the Scriptures carefully, and you will find that Christ spent the largest part of His ministry in restoring the suffering and afflicted to health. Thus He threw back upon Satan the reproach of the evil which the enemy of all good had originated. Satan is the destroyer; Christ is the Restorer. (MM 240)

Quote:
The question is - Why would it have been clear to them? Keep in mind we're talking about just a few months after rebellion broke out in heaven. You say it wasn't until 4,000 years later that the holy angels finally got it, that they were finally able to understand it - the cause and effect relationship between rebellion and retribution, between sin and death.

No, MM. I didn't say this. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Quote:
Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan.(BTS December 1, 1907)

MM, I've been very careful to simply quote her. Yet when you characterize my position, you don't use her words, or mine, but you make up your own, which are inaccurate. For example, you write, "You say it wasn't until 4,000 years later that the holy angels finally got it, that they were finally able to understand it - the cause and effect relationship between rebellion and retribution, between sin and death." There's a germ of truth in this, but this isn't what she said. She said this:

Quote:
Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan.

This is clear enough, isn't it? We don't need to try to improve on this, do we?

Quote:
Do you agree with my assessment of her insights?

You didn't quote them. If you provide more of a context, it makes it easier to respond. Before my comment, you wrote this:

Quote:
In the following passages Ellen makes it clear unfallen beings were solidly on God's side way before the death of Jesus on the cross. His death "confirmed" their loyalty and allegiance - it did not establish it. Also, they were ready for the evil angels to die way before Jesus died on the cross. His death "confirmed" their readiness - it did not establish it. His death did not remove doubt - it "confirmed" their faith.

so I assume this is what you're asking about. No, I don't see the correlation between your ideas here and hers. I'm not saying that I disagree with what you're saying (nor that I agree with it), but that I don't see a relationship between what she wrote and what you are writing. For example, where did she speak of their loyalty being "confirmed" as opposed to "established"?

Quote:
I do not believe this insight means the angels were not secure against evil before rebellion broke out in heaven. It is obvious from the quotes I posted above that the angels knew God as well as they could possibly know Him, that there was nothing more He could have done to help them know Him better. Thus, the cross didn't reveal something about God He hadn't already revealed to them.

It's clear the angels had things to learn about God. For example:

Quote:
"A crisis had arrived in the government of God...All heaven was prepared at the word of God to move to the help of his elect. One word from him, and the bolts of heaven would have fallen upon the earth, filling it with fire and flame. God had but to speak, and there would have been thunderings and lightnings and earthquakes and destruction.

"The heavenly intelligences were prepared for a fearful manifestation of Almighty power. Every move was watched with intense anxiety. The exercise of justice was expected. The angels looked for God to punish the inhabitants of the earth..."

"The heavenly universe was amazed at God’s patience and love. To save fallen humanity the Son of God took humanity upon himself." Review and Herald, July 17, 1900

There are many statements like this. The angels were not expecting God's mercy, so obviously they didn't know this about Him, and the cross did reveal something to them.

The angels were amazed by the cross, and still are, as are all of God's followers.

Quote:
So, what is the relationship between 1) knowing God as well as the angels did and 2) being secure against evil? What is the connection between knowing God and being secure against evil? Does knowing God as well as possible equal being as secure against evil as possible? If not, why not?

You're assuming that the angels knew God as well as they ever could, before the Plan of Salvation was revealed, but I think this is clearly false. Jesus Christ said that to know God is eternal life, so I think that answers your question as to the connection between knowing God and being secure against evil.

Quote:
How secure against evil were the angels before rebellion broke out in heaven?

Clearly they weren't secure since they rebelled.

Quote:
Were they as secure against evil as possible?

If by "as possible" you mean as possible as they could be at the time, yes.

Quote:
If not, why not? What more could God have done to make them more secure against evil? I am interested in your answers, Tom.

God has always done as much as He can for all created beings.

Quote:
Here is how I answer them. Yes, before rebellion broke out in heaven the angels were as secure against evil as it is possible to be.

Clearly not, since they were more secure after the cross than before. The statement

Quote:
Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan.

makes this clear. After the cross they were more secure than before it, so clearly they were less secure before it than after! Equally clear they weren't as secure as it is possible to be before the cross since they were more secure after.

Unless what you meant was that they were as secure as it was possible to be at the time, in which case I agree with your statement.

Quote:
Nevertheless, angels mature more and more every day. They were more mature the day after evil angels were banished to earth than they were the day before it happened. For 4,000 years the angels matured more and more every day. They were more mature the day after Jesus died than they were before He died. In this sense, the angels are more secure against evil than they were before rebellion broke out in heaven.

You're talking about two different things here, maturity and security. One can be mature and insecure, or immature and secure. So I don't see how what you're saying relates to what EGW said, which is that without the cross the angels would not have been any more secure than they were when Satan started his rebellion. How secure were the angels when Satan rebelled? This is seen in that they rebelled. They weren't secure! If they had been secure, they wouldn't have rebelled.

It seems to me you may not have understood EGW's point. Her point is that the loyal angels, without the cross, would be no more secure against evil than the disloyal angels were when Satan rebelled. It's very important to get this right!

When she speaks of "angels" she is speaking of the angels as a class. The class of angels, without the cross, would be no more secure than the class of angels was before Satan began his rebellion. (I hope your familiar with the concept of a "class"; if not, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class).

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: asygo] #103175
09/25/08 10:28 PM
09/25/08 10:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM: Without the death of Jesus, upon what grounds would God have allowed the evil angels to experience the "inevitable result of sin"?

TE: I have a conviction that God could have done it some other way, without Jesus having to die, if human beings did not rebel, but being a human being myself, I couldn't tell you how.

The holy angels were ready to let the evil angels suffer the inevitable results of sin even before A&E sinned. They would have accepted their death as readily as they accepted the death of humans. They had seen enough of sin and evil and Satan. They were ready for it to end.

After the cross they were more secure than before it, so clearly they were less secure before it than after! Equally clear they weren't as secure as it is possible to be before the cross since they were more secure after.

Are you implying this from the SOP quote? I ask because she doesn’t say so.

Unless what you meant was that they were as secure as it was possible to be at the time, in which case I agree with your statement.

I tried very hard to make it clear that I do not believe this.

How secure were the angels when Satan rebelled? This is seen in that they rebelled. They weren't secure! If they had been secure, they wouldn't have rebelled.

Again, are you implying this from the SOP quote? Because she clearly does not say so. Instead, elsewhere (quoted below) she emphatically explains that the angels were as acquainted with God as can be. There was nothing new He could have revealed to them to help them be more secure against evil than they were. To imply otherwise is to blame God for not doing enough to safeguard the angels against evil. "What more," says Christ, "could I do for My sheep than that I have done?" {LHU 216.4} The same thing applied to the angels before rebellion broke out in heaven.

Satan, the chief of the fallen angels, once had an exalted position in heaven. He was next in honor to Christ. The knowledge which he, as well as the angels who fell with him, had of the character of God, of His goodness, His mercy, wisdom, and excellent glory, made their guilt unpardonable. {4BC 1163.2}

There was no possible hope for the redemption of those who had witnessed and enjoyed the inexpressible glory of heaven, and had seen the terrible majesty of God, and, in presence of all this glory, had rebelled against Him. There were no new and wonderful exhibitions of God's exalted power that could impress them so deeply as those they had already experienced. If they could rebel in the very presence of glory inexpressible, they could not be placed in a more favorable condition to be proved. There was no reserve force of power, nor were there any greater heights and depths of infinite glory to overpower their jealous doubts and rebellious murmuring. {4BC 1163.3}

Nothing is more plainly taught in Scripture than that God was in no wise responsible for the entrance of sin; that there was no arbitrary withdrawal of divine grace, no deficiency in the divine government, that gave occasion for the uprising of rebellion. {GC 492.2}

Page 21 of 27 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 26 27

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!