HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,641
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H), 3,372 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Lesson #1 - God's Nature: The Basis of ATONEMENT [Re: Daryl] #103383
10/03/08 11:48 PM
10/03/08 11:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
At any rate, my main point was that this statement:
Quote:
God's natural hatred for sin made necessary the role of a Mediator.

is false.

????
Even setting aside the additional element which exists in our perspective of the atonement and considering just your perspective, this statement is true.
God's hatred for sin is His glory which consumes sin. Man is separated from God because if He approaches God he will be consumed by His glory. Therefore, in order to communicate with man His glory had to be veiled - and that's why a Mediator became necessary. Isn't this what you believe, too?

I pointed the following out to Arnold:

Quote:
If one's hatred for sin makes a Mediator necessary, then Christ's hatred for sin would require the role of Mediator between Him and us.

To which he, displaying great wisdom, replied, "That makes sense."

If hatred for sin necessitates a mediator, it doesn't matter whose hatred for sin it is. The principle would apply for God the Father, the Holy Spirit, Jesus Christ, angels, or Enoch or Elijah, assuming they have a perfect hatred of sin. And if we became like Christ, so that our hatred for sin was like His, then other human beings would need a mediator to be around us.

Quote:
God's hatred for sin is His glory which consumes sin.

From DA 108:

Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

Note that the same thing that gives life to the righteous is what slays the wicked. Does God's hatred of sin give life to the righteous? That doesn't really make sense, does it?

Given that "light" is "revelation" and "glory" is "character" ("God's glory is His character ST 9/3/02) this translates to the revelation of the character of God. The context bears this out:

Quote:
In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence.(ibid)

Quote:
Therefore, in order to communicate with man His glory had to be veiled - and that's why a Mediator became necessary. Isn't this what you believe, too?

Yes, I agree with this, but it's man's sin that necessitates the Mediator, not God's hatred of it. Also, the concept of a Mediation encompasses more than what is commonly thought, as explained by Waggoner. That's a wonderful explanation by Waggoner. One would profit much be giving it careful study.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #1 - God's Nature: The Basis of ATONEMENT [Re: Daryl] #103384
10/03/08 11:56 PM
10/03/08 11:56 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
God could not come down in all His glory amoung us sinners, we would all be destroyed, so Christ had to come down. Sin is the anti-matter to Gods matter, they cannot coexist, Christ became flesh so He could reach man with shielded divinity.

Christ was no less fully God dwelling in human flesh than He was in all His glory in heaven. If God and sin cannot coexist, then anytime anyone came in contact with Christ, they would have been annihilated, because Christ was 100% God. Becoming human didn't make Him any less God.

Sin caused a change in man so that man could not bear to be face to face with God, unless God veiled His glory. Satan had deceived man, so that man did not understand what God is really like. In order to love God, we must know Him as He is, but if He draws near, we can't stand it. So what was God to do? He became one of us, so that we could learn the truth about Him, and be drawn to Him, and be reconciled to Him. Once we learn the truth about Him, communication is restored:

Quote:
At that day ye shall ask in my name; and I say not unto you that I will pray the Father for you; for the Father himself loveth you. (John 16:27)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #1 - God's Nature: The Basis of ATONEMENT [Re: Daryl] #103385
10/03/08 11:59 PM
10/03/08 11:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom's quote in post #103359 is only a part of the following from Wednesday's section:

Of course it was only a part. You didn't think what I quoted was the whole thing, did you? \:\)

What you quoted was only a part from Wednesday's section too!

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #1 - God's Nature: The Basis of ATONEMENT [Re: Tom] #103386
10/04/08 12:01 AM
10/04/08 12:01 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
One sentence from a paragraph is sometimes not enough to understand its meaning within the paragraph itself. \:\)

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #1 - God's Nature: The Basis of ATONEMENT [Re: Daryl] #103387
10/04/08 01:26 AM
10/04/08 01:26 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I agree, Daryl, that this may be the case; context is often important. But in this situation, the author said:

Quote:
God's natural hatred for sin made necessary the role of a Mediator.

How did the rest of the paragraph help understand this? This sentence seems to me to stand on its own.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #1 - God's Nature: The Basis of ATONEMENT [Re: Tom] #103388
10/04/08 01:51 AM
10/04/08 01:51 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
But didn't you state this was false, or am I getting confused with somebody else's post?

Perhaps I should check back over the posts and see. \:\)

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #1 - God's Nature: The Basis of ATONEMENT [Re: Tom] #103389
10/04/08 01:58 AM
10/04/08 01:58 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
R: God's hatred for sin is His glory which consumes sin.
T: From DA 108: <<The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.>>
Note that the same thing that gives life to the righteous is what slays the wicked. Does God's hatred of sin give life to the righteous? That doesn't really make sense, does it?
Given that "light" is "revelation" and "glory" is "character" ("God's glory is His character ST 9/3/02) this translates to the revelation of the character of God.

???
One aspect of God's character is His hatred for sin, and the revelation of His character, including His hatred for sin, both gives life to the righteous and slays the wicked.

Quote:
If hatred for sin necessitates a mediator, it doesn't matter whose hatred for sin it is. The principle would apply for God the Father, the Holy Spirit, Jesus Christ, angels, or Enoch or Elijah, assuming they have a perfect hatred of sin. And if we became like Christ, so that our hatred for sin was like His, then other human beings would need a mediator to be around us.

This conclusion is completely unwarranted. The hatred for sin requiring a mediator applies to the relationship between the Creator (the Godhead) and the sinning creature. Period. This has nothing to do with angels, Enoch and Elijah, or us (in the context you pointed out).

Quote:
Yes, I agree with this, but it's man's sin that necessitates the Mediator, not God's hatred of it.

The sinner is comfortable in Satan's presence, because they both love sin. If God loved sin, the sinner would be comfortable in His presence, too. What primarily causes the rupture in the communication between the sinner and God, what makes man flee from God's presence (like Adam did) is God's hatred of sin. So, ultimately, it's this that requires the Mediator (in the context of earth, not in the ampler context Waggoner speaks about).

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #1 - God's Nature: The Basis of ATONEMENT [Re: Tom] #103390
10/04/08 11:15 AM
10/04/08 11:15 AM
Rick H  Offline

Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
 Quote:
God could not come down in all His glory amoung us sinners, we would all be destroyed, so Christ had to come down. Sin is the anti-matter to Gods matter, they cannot coexist, Christ became flesh so He could reach man with shielded divinity.

Christ was no less fully God dwelling in human flesh than He was in all His glory in heaven. If God and sin cannot coexist, then anytime anyone came in contact with Christ, they would have been annihilated, because Christ was 100% God. Becoming human didn't make Him any less God.

Sin caused a change in man so that man could not bear to be face to face with God, unless God veiled His glory. Satan had deceived man, so that man did not understand what God is really like. In order to love God, we must know Him as He is, but if He draws near, we can't stand it. So what was God to do? He became one of us, so that we could learn the truth about Him, and be drawn to Him, and be reconciled to Him. Once we learn the truth about Him, communication is restored:

Quote:
At that day ye shall ask in my name; and I say not unto you that I will pray the Father for you; for the Father himself loveth you. (John 16:27)

Christ was 100% God but with His Divinity/Glory 'veiled/ shielded' or else like the Roman soldiers everyone would have fallen down at just the sight or Him, the ground He walked on would have become 'Holy' as with Moses, and we would have to make a line around Him that we could not come near.

Christ must have been veiled divinity even when He interacted in human form with man before He came as flesh, otherwise Adam and Eve would not have been able to come near after they sinned, Abraham would not have been able to talk or feed the three strangers, or Jacob when he struggled face to face, it could not be God in all His glory as the light would have shown itself and had a affect, so to me it was Christ.

Lets take a look at some verses

(Isa 46:5, 8-10 KJV)
To whom will ye liken me, and make me equal, and compare me, that we may be like? ...
{8} Remember this, and show yourselves men: bring it again to mind, O ye transgressors.
{9} Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,
{10} Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done,saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

Jesus, in the flesh, remained God... Jesus did not "leave his essential nature (His deity) in heaven, when He came to earth"
(2 Cor 8:9 KJV)
For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that ye through His poverty might be rich.

He simply disrobed Himself of all the 'glory' or grandeur of deity which He enjoyed in heaven
(Phil 2:5-11 KJV)
Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
{6} Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
{7} But made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
{8} And being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself,
and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
{9} Wherefore God also hath highly exalted Him, and given Him a name which is above every name:
{10} That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
{11} And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

In this role, He was submissive to the Father:

(Luk 22:41-42 KJV)
And He(Jesus) was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast,
and kneeled down, and prayed,
(42) Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me:
nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.

(Joh 14:27-28 KJV)
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
(28) Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

Last edited by Richard; 10/04/08 11:50 AM.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #1 - God's Nature: The Basis of ATONEMENT [Re: Rick H] #103400
10/04/08 10:33 PM
10/04/08 10:33 PM
Rick H  Offline

Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
After all that planning for this lesson, I was humbled a rew notches and not able to get to most of the points I had prepared, as they cut short the lesson time so the children could come in a bit early for their special program they had for church. What can I say......

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #1 - God's Nature: The Basis of ATONEMENT [Re: Rick H] #103404
10/05/08 03:40 AM
10/05/08 03:40 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
But didn't you state this was false, or am I getting confused with somebody else's post?

Yes, I stated it was false that God's natural hatred for sin is what requires that man have a Mediator. I pointed out that if this were the case, then Christ's natural hatred for sin would require we have a Mediator too, someone to stand between Christ and us. And so would the natural hatred for sin that the angels have, and so forth.

We require a Mediator because sin has so damaged us. The problem is our sin, not God's hatred of it. The reason God hates sin is because of the damage it does against us. Even if God didn't hate sin, we would still need a Mediator. Of course, it's impossible for God not to hate sin, because sin causes death, and God loves us, but it is not God's hatred of sin that is our fundamental problem, but the damage that sin does to us.

Reply Quote
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!