HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,636
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 7
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,444 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Lesson #1 - God's Nature: The Basis of ATONEMENT [Re: asygo] #103436
10/07/08 12:14 AM
10/07/08 12:14 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Agreed. Ok, here goes (rest is Ty -- hey, only 4 typos to correct)

"Clouds and darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne."

A contrast is here drawn between "darkness" and "righteousness." "Righteousness" is a character word, defining thoughts and feelings and behavior. Therefore the "darkness" here mentioned must also be a character word. The inspired word says, in essence, "Darkness surrounds the character of God, but the fact is that the righteousness is the true essence of His Character."

God may look bad to us, but in reality He's good. There is a kind of spiritual darkness that clouds our ideas about God. However, that darkness is present in our perception and does not arise out of His true identity. We don't see God as He really is. Somehow, by some means, we humans have come to view His character in a false light.

But how? And what is the nature of this darkness?

Human perception of the divine character was first distorted in the hearts and minds of our original parents, Adam and Eve. The account given in Scripture is very enlightening.

Basically what happened was this: God's archenemy, Satan, told Adam and Eve a two-pronged lie about God's character. (1) God cannot be trusted (2) because He is totally self-serving and does not have your best interest at heart. Satan painted a new picture of God, and we became rebels by believing that dark portrait. Notice how the father of lies framed his case against the Creator:

(Gen. 3:1-5 quoted)

The first things we want to notice is the word "subtil" in verse one. Satan approached with an intent to deceive, to lead humanity to believe an untruth about God.

Don't overlook the underlying point of his falsehood. Read between the lines. When Satan uttered the words, "Yea, hath God said?..." he placed a question mark on God's word, bringing His very integrity under suspicion. He communicated into the human heart an idea of mistrust toward the Lord. Then he proceeded to blatantly contradict what God had said: "Ye shall not surely die." The insinuation is evident: "I know God said you'll die if you eat this fruit, but I'm telling you no such thing will happen. God is a liar. He cannot be trusted."

If that wasn't bad enough, the next things Satan said made the lie even more dark and tempting. "The whole reason why God has lied to you is because he knows that if you eat this desirable fruit you'll be exalted to equality with Him. He is totally selfish and doesn't want you to break up His monopoly on this higher state of freedom and pleasure. He doesn't love you. He only cares about Himself. Break free from His tyrannical rule."

On the inner canvas of human imagination Satan painted God in his own ugly image, in the dark hues of dishonesty and selfishness. Because the temptation was woven out of a subtle misrepresentation of God's character, the sin problem is far deeper than mere behavioral misconduct. When Adam and Eve partook of the forbidden fruit, they had, in effect, believed what Satan said about God. As a result, their perception of God's character was drastically altered. Whereas once they believed Him to be a God of infinite love who desired their eternal happiness, now they believed He was untrustworthy and self-serving.

It is here, at the level of perception and belief that the darkening of God's character occurred in the human soul. We now imagine our Maker to be someone He is not, and that distorted picture has deeply wounded our capacity to related to God with love and trust. This is why the Bible defines sin in terms of its effect on relationship with God and our ability to see Him clearly: "Your iniquities have separated you from your God; and your sins have hidden His face from you" (Isa. 59:2 NKJV). God has not arbitrarily rejected mankind and angrily turned away. Rather, sin has imposed upon the human heart an emotional and psychological barrier that separates us from God. Sin itself, by virtue of what it is, has hidden God's character from our hearts and minds. Because of sin, there are things we believe about God that are not true. Sin is a deceptive, dimming influence that clouds our perception of the One who made us. The rest of the story explains, in psychological terms, how sin does this to us.

The immediate effect of sin on Adam and Eve was to awaken in them a sense of condemnation and guilt: "The eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked" (Gen. 3:7). The "eyes" here mentioned are not the literal eyeballs with which we see our physical surroundings, but rather a metaphor to indicate the inner eyes of conscience with which we sense either guilt or innocence. Adam and Eve became conscious of their wrongdoing and began to experience the psychological phenomenon of guilt.

Notice what happened next: "And they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day; and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God amongst the trees of the garden" (Gen. 3:8)

Strange, new impulse! Those who just yesterday felt completely comfortable in God's presence now feel a compelling drive to hide from Him.

"And the Lord God called unto Adam, and said unto him, "Where are thou?" (Gen. 3:9) As if God didn't know the exact tree they were hiding behind. Of course He knew where they were, but He approached with a gentle wooing calculated to reconcile rather than further alienate. The fact that Adam and Eve willingly came out of their hiding place indicates that God's tone of voice and attitude must have been flooded with compassion rather than condemnation.

When Adam spoke to the Lord he revealed the source of their new impulse hide: "I heard They voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself" (Gen. 3:10).

Afraid of God?
But why?
They were never afraid of Him before.
Had God changed in some way?
No!

"For I am the Lord, I change not" (Mal. 3:6). "The same yesterday, and today, and forever" (Heb. 13:8). He still loved them and cared for them just the same. But *they* had changed. Now they could not see His goodness. The natural result of sin is to exclude man from God's love from man's perspective. Those feelings are directly derived from the effect of sin itself upon the conscience, they are not arbitrarily imposed by an attitude of condemnation assumed by God. He remains unchanged, but sin changes us. Our sin does not alter god's love, rather it erects a wall of separation for which our sin is the cause, not God.

Take not of the fact that Adam and eve were afraid of God because of the guilt they felt inside themselves. Here is a crucial key to understanding the sin problem. Because sin involved embracing a distorted view of God's character, they imagined that the condemnation they felt was proceeding from God. Hence they were afraid of Him. They could not longer sense His love and acceptance due to the deceptive influence of their rebellion.

Sin is a reality-blurring force, bringing dark emotions into the soul. It presses the mind to see God in a false light. It tells the heart that God rejects and condemns the sinner along with the sin. Shattered innocence, leading to a confused mixture of self-hatred and self-justification, is organic to sin's very nature. God does condemn sin. He cannot do otherwise. But He continues to love the sinner. The condemnation we feel is in the sin, not in God.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #1 - God's Nature: The Basis of ATONEMENT [Re: Tom] #103444
10/07/08 02:22 AM
10/07/08 02:22 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
T: Holiness is not "hatred for sin." Holiness is simply goodness.

T: To say that God is good is to say that ... He abhors sin.

??? What is the difference between hatred for sin and abhorrence of sin?

Quote:
T: God hates sin because sin destroys us, and He loves us. But there is no reason to single this aspect as a reason for our needing a Mediator.
R: Yes, there is. As the first quote above says, God cannot endure the presence of sin. As the lesson says, quoting the Bible, “Your eyes are too pure to look on evil; you cannot tolerate wrong” (Hab. 1:13).
T: The lesson author took Habakkuk out of context. The last thing Habakkuk is doing is arguing for Reformist atonement theology.

What need is there to complicate things? Who said Habakkuk is arguing for Reformist atonement theology? He is just saying that God cannot endure the presence of sin.

Quote:
R: In fact, as I have pointed out several times, imputed righteousness makes no sense under your view.
T: Only if one understands "imputed righteousness" in a penal way.

There is also a legal aspect in imputed righteousness, and this legal aspect consists in the sinner's being declared righteous without in fact being righteous. It's this point which does not make sense in your theology.

"The great work that is wrought for the sinner who is spotted and stained by evil is the work of justification. By Him who speaketh truth he is declared righteous. The Lord imputes unto the believer the righteousness of Christ and pronounces him righteous before the universe. He transfers his sins to Jesus, the sinner's representative, substitute, and surety. Upon Christ He lays the iniquity of every soul that believeth. 'He hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.' 2 Cor. 5:21. . . ." {FLB 112.4}

Take a look, for instance, at what is said here:

“The prayer and praise and confession of God's people ascend as sacrifices to the heavenly sanctuary. But they ascend not in spotless purity. Passing through the corrupt channels of humanity, they are so defiled that unless purified by the righteousness of the great High Priest, they are not acceptable by God. Christ gathers into the censer the prayers, the praise, and the sacrifices of his people, and with these he puts the merits of his spotless righteousness. Then, perfumed with the incense of Christ's propitiation, our prayers, wholly and entirely acceptable, rise before God, and gracious answers are returned.” {YI, April 16, 1903 par. 12}

Even our prayers and confessions are so defiled by sin that they must be purified by Christ’s righteousness before they are acceptable by God.

Quote:
First of all, this isn't the question under consideration. The question under consideration is if it's God's hatred for sin which necessitates our having a Mediator. You are suggesting that it is because God cannot tolerate sin in His presence. Hating something and not tolerating something are, or can be, related, but are not of necessity so, and are certainly not identical things. One could hate something and still tolerate its presence, and, conversely, one could not tolerate the presence of something without hating it.
Secondly, if you are going to assert something like this, it would be good to present some evidence that this is so.

Well, I quoted the Bible and quoted Ellen White, but you don’t seem to accept either.

“He [God] cannot endure the presence of sin. It is the thing that his soul hates.” {SpTA01a 4.1}

Quote:
Why is this the most important thing? Why couldn't the most important thing be something else? Like, for example, that sin causes us to be unable to endure God's presence?

This factor is consequential. Sin causes us to be unable to endure God's presence because of God's nature. His nature is such that it makes us aware of our sin.

Quote:
Let's go back to the original statement of the author, which is that it was God's hatred for sin which necessitated our having a Mediator. I haven't seen any evidence presented for this idea. Does any author in Scripture present this argument? If so, who and where? How about Jesus Christ? Did He ever teach this idea? In a number of places, particular in the Gospel of John, Jesus presents the idea that we can only come to God through Him (He is the door, the gate, the way, etc.) Does He ever suggest that God's hatred of sin is the reason this is so?

And where is it said that we need a Mediator because sin has damaged our nature and will make us die if we approach God? I'm not saying this is not true, just that the Bible is not a book of systematic theology. The concepts are there, but not in a systematic form.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #1 - God's Nature: The Basis of ATONEMENT [Re: Rosangela] #103448
10/07/08 03:54 AM
10/07/08 03:54 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rosangela, I'm going to respond to you comments point by point, but I'd like to point out that no one has presented any case that it is God's hatred of sin the necessitates our needing a Mediator. Now there's no need to point out that God hates sin. That's a given. But where is there anything in Scripture that teaches that this is why we need a Mediator?

In your previous post you wrote:

Quote:
A Mediator was necessary in order to lead sinners away from sin and back to holiness.

This is exactly right! This is why we need a Mediator.

Quote:
Holiness is not "hatred for sin." Holiness is simply goodness.

T: To say that God is good is to say that ... He abhors sin.

What is the difference between hatred for sin and abhorrence of sin?

If you read the statements in context, it's easy to see what they mean. In the first one, my point was that holiness is not only "hatred for sin." Holiness includes this, but includes much more. In the second my point was that the fact that God is good is the reason that He abhors sin (because any good being will abhor a thing which is evil).

Quote:
T: God hates sin because sin destroys us, and He loves us. But there is no reason to single this aspect as a reason for our needing a Mediator.
R: Yes, there is. As the first quote above says, God cannot endure the presence of sin. As the lesson says, quoting the Bible, “Your eyes are too pure to look on evil; you cannot tolerate wrong” (Hab. 1:13).
T: The lesson author took Habakkuk out of context. The last thing Habakkuk is doing is arguing for Reformist atonement theology.

What need is there to complicate things? Who said Habakkuk is arguing for Reformist atonement theology?

It's obvious. The author is practically quoting Calvin, and quotes Habakkuk as support for doing so.

Quote:
He is just saying that God cannot endure the presence of sin.

But this isn't Habakkuk point at all. Again, here is what Habakkuk said:

Quote:
13Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?

His point is that God is righteous, and, given that He is righteous, why isn't He doing something about the injustice going on. His point is not that God literally cannot look at sin. Habukkuk's point has absolutely nothing to do with what the author said, which is that God's hatred for sin necessitates our having a Mediator.

Quote:
There is also a legal aspect in imputed righteousness, and this legal aspect consists in the sinner's being declared righteous without in fact being righteous. It's this point which does not make sense in your theology.

I quoted quite a lot to establish what "imputed righteousness" means. Let's limit my quotes to simply what Waggoner presented. I have two questions.

1.Do you see any difference in my theology, in relation to the question we are presently discussing (imputed righteousness) and Waggoner's?

2.Do you think that Waggoner's position "does not make sense"?

Quote:
Well, I quoted the Bible and quoted Ellen White, but you don’t seem to accept either.

Don't you think it would be a good idea to omit statements like this? You should be able to see they apply as much to you as to me. That is, I present statements to you, and you disagree with them. You disagree, but put it in terms of disagreeing with my interpretation of what Scripture or Ellen White is saying. You wouldn't say you disagree with Scripture or Ellen White. So why apply a different standard upon me than you would have applied to yourself?

Quote:
“He [God] cannot endure the presence of sin. It is the thing that his soul hates.” {SpTA01a 4.1}

First of all, it looks like perhaps you are misunderstanding what she is saying. When she says "God cannot endure the presence of sin" she means exactly the same thing Habakkuk said when he said, "you cannot tolerate wrong." (Hab. 1:13)

For example, she writes:

Quote:
He will not, cannot endure the presence of sin in His dominion. If there are in the church those who are willfully sinning against God, every possible means should be used to bring them to repentance. If this is not done, God's name is dishonored. He is too pure to look upon iniquity with favor. (Our Father Cares 253)

It is clear that she has what Habakkuk said in mind in the use of this phrase.

Now that God hates sin, is self-evident. I don't know why you keep bringing up this point. It's obvious, and I've been agreeing with it the whole time.

Quote:
T:Why is this the most important thing? Why couldn't the most important thing be something else? Like, for example, that sin causes us to be unable to endure God's presence?

R:This factor is consequential.

! This is the whole point. We need to be healed from the impact of sin so we can be in His presence.

Quote:
Sin causes us to be unable to endure God's presence because of God's nature. His nature is such that it makes us aware of our sin.

God has the same nature in His relationship to all creatures. He hates sin equally, no matter who He is dealing with. Yet none of the other creatures needs a Mediator (in the salvific sense). Why not? Because they have no sin.

It is sin which causes the need for a Mediator.

Quote:
And where is it said that we need a Mediator because sin has damaged our nature and will make us die if we approach God? I'm not saying this is not true, just that the Bible is not a book of systematic theology. The concepts are there, but not in a systematic form.

The concepts I've been presented are clearly taught by Jesus.

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.(ST 1/20/90)

The whole purpose of His ministry was "to set men right through the revelation of God." This is exactly what Jesus Christ was talking about when He spoke of His being the way, the door, the gate.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #1 - God's Nature: The Basis of ATONEMENT [Re: Tom] #103470
10/08/08 01:44 AM
10/08/08 01:44 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
R: He [Habakkuk] is just saying that God cannot endure the presence of sin.
T: But this isn't Habakkuk point at all. Again, here is what Habakkuk said:

<<13Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?>>

His point is that God is righteous, and, given that He is righteous, why isn't He doing something about the injustice going on. His point is not that God literally cannot look at sin.

I disagree. His point is that God literally cannot look at sin, for sin is repulsive to Him. Since this is the case, how can He permit evil to triumph?

Quote:
R: There is also a legal aspect in imputed righteousness, and this legal aspect consists in the sinner's being declared righteous without in fact being righteous. It's this point which does not make sense in your theology.
T: I quoted quite a lot to establish what "imputed righteousness" means. Let's limit my quotes to simply what Waggoner presented. I have two questions.

1.Do you see any difference in my theology, in relation to the question we are presently discussing (imputed righteousness) and Waggoner's?

Justification has both a legal aspect and a relational aspect. You quoted a passage from Waggoner emphasizing the relational aspect. But you can’t simply ignore the legal aspect as if it didn’t exist. It does exist, and it does not make sense under your theology. I quoted some passages from Ellen White which deal with the legal aspect. I will quote another couple of quotes:

"The law requires righteousness,--a righteous life, a perfect character; and this man has not to give. He cannot meet the claims of God's holy law. But Christ, coming to the earth as man, lived a holy life, and developed a perfect character. These He offers as a free gift to all who will receive them. His life stands for the life of men. Thus they have remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God. [legal aspect] More than this, Christ imbues men with the attributes of God. He builds up the human character after the similitude of the divine character" [relational aspect] {DA 762.2}

"Christ died because there was no other hope for the transgressor. He might try to keep God's law in the future; but the debt which he had incurred in the past remained, and the law must condemn him to death. Christ came to pay that debt for the sinner which it was impossible for him to pay for himself. Thus, through the atoning sacrifice of Christ, sinful man was granted another trial." {FW 30.1} [legal aspect]

Quote:
<< “He [God] cannot endure the presence of sin. It is the thing that his soul hates.” {SpTA01a 4.1}>>
First of all, it looks like perhaps you are misunderstanding what she is saying. When she says "God cannot endure the presence of sin" she means exactly the same thing Habakkuk said when he said, "you cannot tolerate wrong." (Hab. 1:13)

No, I’m not misunderstanding it. She literally means God cannot endure the presence of sin. Since I had already quoted the whole paragraph in my post before that one, I quoted just the part that was more relevant to answer your comment. But the passage says:

“He [God] cannot endure the presence of sin. It is the thing that his soul hates. Even the angels that stood about his throne, whom he loved, but who kept not their first estate of loyalty, God cast out of heaven with their rebel leader. Holiness is the foundation of God's throne; sin is the opposite of holiness.” {SpTA01a 4.1}

Here she says God cannot tolerate sin in His presence, and that’s why He cast out Lucifer and his angels from heaven.

Quote:
R: Sin causes us to be unable to endure God's presence because of God's nature. His nature is such that it makes us aware of our sin.
T: God has the same nature in His relationship to all creatures. He hates sin equally, no matter who He is dealing with. Yet none of the other creatures needs a Mediator (in the salvific sense). Why not? Because they have no sin.

Of course sin is the problem, but sin causes the need for a Mediator for two reasons, not just one: 1) God, because of His own nature, cannot tolerate sin in His presence; sin is repulsive to Him; and 2) The sinner cannot endure the presence of God because of his sin.

Quote:
The concepts I've been presented are clearly taught by Jesus.

So were the concepts I’ve been presented.

Quote:
The whole purpose of His ministry was "to set men right through the revelation of God." This is exactly what Jesus Christ was talking about when He spoke of His being the way, the door, the gate.

There evidently was a wider purpose in Christ’s coming.

“But it was not merely to accomplish the redemption of man that Christ came to the earth to suffer and to die. He came to ‘magnify the law’ and to ‘make it honorable.’ Not alone that the inhabitants of this world might regard the law as it should be regarded; but it was to demonstrate to all the worlds of the universe that God's law is unchangeable. Could its claims have been set aside, then the Son of God need not have yielded up his life to atone for its transgression. The death of Christ proves it immutable.” {GC 503.1}

So there are two main objectives: 1) to show man and the universe that He is love, and 2) to show man and the universe that His law is immutable. Both are involved in the statement “I am the way.”

How did Christ’s death prove that God’s law is immutable?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #1 - God's Nature: The Basis of ATONEMENT [Re: Rosangela] #103471
10/08/08 04:59 AM
10/08/08 04:59 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I'm going to respond to you comments point by point, but I'd like to point out, again, that no one has presented any case that it is God's hatred of sin the necessitates our needing a Mediator.

Quote:
I disagree. His point is that God literally cannot look at sin, for sin is repulsive to Him. Since this is the case, how can He permit evil to triumph?

There's no way his point is that God literally cannot look at sin. For one thing, this simply isn't true. God can and does literally look at sin. At the time. 24/7. There's no sin that takes place that God literally does not see.

Habakkuk's statement is clearly *not* literal, so trying to interpret it as literal to make some other point that has nothing to do with what Habakkuk is saying is fruitless.

Quote:
But you can't stand sin or wrong.
So don't sit by in silence
while they gobble down people
who are better than they are. (CEV)

But you are pure and cannot stand the sight of evil.
Will you wink at their treachery?
Should you be silent while the wicked
swallow up people more righteous than they?(NLT)

Your eyes are too good to look at evil;
you cannot stand to see those who do wrong.
So how can you put up with those evil people?
How can you be quiet when the wicked swallow up people who are better than they are?

Your eyes are too pure to look at what is evil.
You can't put up with the wrong things people do.
So why do you put up
with those who can't be trusted?
The evil Babylonians swallow up
those who are more godly than themselves.
So why are you silent? (NIV Reader's)

You are of purer eyes than to behold evil and can not look [inactively] upon injustice. Why then do You look upon the plunderer? Why are you silent when the wicked one destroys him who is more righteous than [the Chaldean oppressor] is? (Amplified)

Purer of eyes than to behold evil, To look on perverseness Thou art not able, Why dost Thou behold the treacherous? Thou keepest silent when the wicked Doth swallow the more righteous than he,(YLT)

I quoted several translations here to get the sense of what Habakkuk is saying. He is asking why God "beholds the treacherous" when He has "Purer of eyes than to behold evil". There's an irony here. On the one hand, God's eyes are to pure than to behold evil, but on the other, He is beholding evil, the evil of "the treacherous." Habakkuk is asking why God is doing this. If God literally could not look at evil, then He could not literally see the Chaldeans, and Habakkuk's whole point would be lost.

This sums it up well: "You can't put up with the wrong things people do. So why do you put up with those who can't be trusted?"

This is light years away from saying, "You hate evil. Therefore we need a Mediator."

Quote:
Justification has both a legal aspect and a relational aspect. You quoted a passage from Waggoner emphasizing the relational aspect.

I asked you two questions, and you answered neither one. For convenience, I'll repeat them:

Quote:

Your point that I quoted a passage from Waggoner emphasizing the relational aspect has the implication that I may not being fair to Waggoner's theology. So I would like to invite you to quote a passage of Waggoner's which emphasizes the legal aspect, and we can discuss this.

Regarding Ellen White, I see the legal aspect as confirming the relational aspect, not as being something separate. From DA 762

Quote:
Understanding the character of God, knowing His goodness, Satan chose to follow his own selfish, independent will. This choice was final. There was no more that God could do to save him. But man was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God.

Satan was lost because he chose to follow his own selfish, independent will, even though he knew God's character and love. However, man did not know this love, so a revelation of the love could save him.

Quote:
Belief in the propitiation for sin enables fallen man to love God with his whole heart and his neighbor as himself. (COL 378)

It is belief in the propitiation that makes it possible for man to be restored to obedience. This fits in with your statement that a Mediator was necessary to bring man back from sin to holiness. It also fits in with Peter's statement:

Quote:
For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God (1 Pet. 3:18)

It is the cross of Christ that leads us to repentance:

Quote:
How, then, are we to be saved? "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. (DA 175, 176)

How are we saved? By responding to the light shining from the cross, which leads us to repentance.

If the legal ideas you had in regards to EGW's writings were correct, then Christ would have had to die in order for Lucifer to be forgiven. But God offered him pardon over and over again, without Christ's having to have died. But He did. He shouldn't have been able to do this.

Your rebuttal to this is very weak. You argue that Lucifer was less culpable than Eve, which is so obviously false. Here is a description of Lucifer's sin:

Quote:
Lucifer was envious and jealous of Jesus Christ. Yet when all the angels bowed to Jesus to acknowledge His supremacy and high authority and rightful rule, he bowed with them; but his heart was filled with envy and hatred. (The Story of Redemption, page 14)

Eve did nothing to compare with this. Her heart was not filled with envy and hatred against Christ. She was deceived. Lucifer was not. Her sin was not premeditated. His was. Every mitigating factor points to his sin being more egregious than hers. Yet God offered Lucifer pardon without Christ's having to die. Why? Because of the nature of the problem.

What was necessary for Lucifer to be forgiven?

Quote:
Long was he (Lucifer) retained in Heaven. Again and again he was offered pardon, on condition of repentance and submission. (GC 495)

This was the same condition upon which pardon was offered Eve. Even though her sin was far less than hers (what sin could be greater than seeking the homage of other creatures, by way of stealing them from God through lies?), her case required the sacrifice of Christ, but his did not. Why not?

Quote:
But even as a sinner, man was in a different position from that of Satan. Lucifer in heaven had sinned in the light of God's glory. To him as to no other created being was given a revelation of God's love. (DA 761)

Lucifer's situation was different than hers. If the problem had been a purely legal one (or had a purely legal aspect to it) then Christ's death would have been necessary just as much for Lucifer as for Eve.

The death of Christ was necessary for one, but not for the other. This difference is easily explained by the DA quote. What was necessary for pardon for both was repentance. Eve needed Christ's sacrifice to repent; Lucifer did not.

Quote:
No, I’m not misunderstanding it. She literally means God cannot endure the presence of sin.

If you mean by this that God can not be present where sin is present, this is obviously false. First of all, consider God the Father, or God the Holy Spirit. They are physically present everywhere. If they could not be present where sin is present, they would be nowhere on earth, for there is no place on earth where sin is not present (can you think of anywhere?)

Secondly consider Jesus Christ. He (fully God) was present where sin was. No where is this more evident than on the cross. But throughout His life we see the same thing, Christ ministering to sinners. If He could not be present where sin was, He would have had to have been a hermit, and remained as far as possible away from sinners. This idea was the Pharisees idea. They stayed away from sinners, because they were too holy. Their eyes were "too pure to behold evil," so they remained aloof. They criticized Jesus for the very reason that He fellowshipped with sinners (and where sinners are, there is sin).

It looks like there may be a misunderstanding in taking something literally which should not be taken as such.

Quote:
R: Sin causes us to be unable to endure God's presence because of God's nature. His nature is such that it makes us aware of our sin.
T: God has the same nature in His relationship to all creatures. He hates sin equally, no matter who He is dealing with. Yet none of the other creatures needs a Mediator (in the salvific sense). Why not? Because they have no sin.

R:Of course sin is the problem,

Glad we agree on this! You agree, then, that sin is the problem which necessitates a Mediator?

Quote:
but sin causes the need for a Mediator for two reasons, not just one: 1) God, because of His own nature, cannot tolerate sin in His presence; sin is repulsive to Him; and 2) The sinner cannot endure the presence of God because of his sin.

The first one doesn't make sense. Even with a Mediator, sin is just as repulsive to God as without one, nor would He be any more able to tolerate sin in His presence. The second one makes sense.

This puts it eloquently:

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with God; the wrong is in you.
Your wrongheaded lives caused the split between you and God. (Isa. 59:2; The Message)

Quote:
T:The concepts I've been presented are clearly taught by Jesus.

R:So were the concepts I’ve been presented.

Where? I presented examples to support my claim. I asked you to present examples for yours, but you haven't. You just assert it. Where did Jesus teach that because God hates sin it was necessary for Him to become our Mediator?

Quote:
So there are two main objectives: 1) to show man and the universe that He is love, and 2) to show man and the universe that His law is immutable. Both are involved in the statement “I am the way.”

These are really just one. The following points this out:

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.(ST 1/20/90)

The "whole purpose" of Christ's ministry was "to set men right through the revelation of God." Therefore the revelation of God's character both reveals God's love and demonstrates that His law is immutable. The former is obvious, so I won't comment further on it. The second leads to your question:

Quote:
How did Christ’s death prove that God’s law is immutable?

This is a good question. I'll address this tomorrow.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #1 - God's Nature: The Basis of ATONEMENT [Re: Tom] #103475
10/08/08 03:12 PM
10/08/08 03:12 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
There's no way his point is that God literally cannot look at sin. For one thing, this simply isn't true. God can and does literally look at sin. At the time. 24/7. There's no sin that takes place that God literally does not see.

I’m obviously referring to His immediate presence. That’s why, as Ellen White points out, Lucifer and his angels were cast out from heaven, a passage which, by the way, you didn’t comment upon.
When the human race sinned, they were cut off from communion with God. Part of the reason was that they couldn’t endure God’s presence, but it was also because they couldn’t have access to heaven before being placed on probation and returning again to their loyalty, for God cannot tolerate sin in His presence. Sin cannot enter heaven.

Quote:
This is light years away from saying, "You hate evil. Therefore we need a Mediator."

I don’t understand why anyone would question that. Ellen White says,

“The refined sensibilities of His [Christ’s] holy nature rendered contact with evil unspeakably painful to Him” {TMK 34.3}

Christ, the Mediator, had direct contact with sin for 33 years, and the pain He experienced can’t be defined by words. It was this that constituted His sacrifice. There was a sundering of the divine powers because of this. And you still say there was no need for a Mediator? I understand, then, that you think the Godhead should have veiled their divinity during the 6,000-year history of this world and have had constant contact with sin during this period.

Quote:
1. Do you see any difference in my theology, in relation to the question we are presently discussing (imputed righteousness) and Waggoner's?

Although I haven’t read everything from Waggoner, like you he seems to lay greater stress on the relational aspect of justification. This, however, is unbalanced. Ellen White’s writings, on the other hand, are perfectly balanced between the two.

Quote:

Please read again what I wrote. I didn’t say his position, or yours, does not make sense, but that imputed righteousness, in its legal aspect, does not make sense under your theology. And in fact it doesn’t. You didn’t comment on the EGW passages I posted. What sense does it make under your theology to say that Christ’s life stands for our life? That since man doesn’t have the perfect character that the law requires Christ’s perfect character stands in place of our character? That even if man tried to keep the law in the future, his past debt of sin remained and the law must condemn him to death, therefore Christ came to pay the debt of man so that he might be granted another trial?

Quote:
Glad we agree on this! You agree, then, that sin is the problem which necessitates a Mediator?

Of course! If there was no sin, there would be no need for a Mediator.

Quote:
The first one doesn't make sense. Even with a Mediator, sin is just as repulsive to God as without one, nor would He be any more able to tolerate sin in His presence.

Explained above.

Quote:
T:The concepts I've been presented are clearly taught by Jesus.
R:So were the concepts I’ve been presenting.
T: Where? I presented examples to support my claim. I asked you to present examples for yours, but you haven't. You just assert it. Where did Jesus teach that because God hates sin it was necessary for Him to become our Mediator?

Sorry, I must have missed it. Which examples did you present? And where did Jesus teach that because men couldn’t endure God’s presence it was necessary for Him to become our Mediator? The fact is, the NT uses the word “Mediator” six times, and in none of the cases is it used by Jesus. Also, in none of the cases is it explained why a Mediator is needed.

Quote:
The "whole purpose" of Christ's ministry was "to set men right through the revelation of God."

This, obviously, is not an absolute statement. Other statements make clear that God had in view the whole universe, not just “men.”

Quote:
R: How did Christ’s death prove that God’s law is immutable?
T: This is a good question. I'll address this tomorrow.

OK. I’ll be waiting for it.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #1 - God's Nature: The Basis of ATONEMENT [Re: Rosangela] #103483
10/08/08 07:25 PM
10/08/08 07:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I'm going to respond to you comments point by point, but I'd like to point out, again, that no one has presented any case that it is God's hatred of sin the necessitates our needing a Mediator.

Quote:
T:There's no way his point is that God literally cannot look at sin. For one thing, this simply isn't true. God can and does literally look at sin. At the time. 24/7. There's no sin that takes place that God literally does not see.

R:I’m obviously referring to His immediate presence. That’s why, as Ellen White points out, Lucifer and his angels were cast out from heaven, a passage which, by the way, you didn’t comment upon.

I wrote a long response. It's difficult to cover every quote that's cited.

Here's what Jude says:

Quote:
6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

Jude says they "left".

Quote:
When the human race sinned, they were cut off from communion with God. Part of the reason was that they couldn’t endure God’s presence, but it was also because they couldn’t have access to heaven before being placed on probation and returning again to their loyalty, for God cannot tolerate sin in His presence. Sin cannot enter heaven.

This is from Job:

Quote:
Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them. (Job 1:6)

Here is Satan in the presence of God, together with other angels. This would seem to be impossible, given the literal stance you're taking.

Quote:
T:This is light years away from saying, "You hate evil. Therefore we need a Mediator."

R:I don’t understand why anyone would question that. Ellen White says,

“The refined sensibilities of His [Christ’s] holy nature rendered contact with evil unspeakably painful to Him” {TMK 34.3}

I don't understand why you keep bringing this up. I've already explained that a)This is obvious b)I believe this.

Of course God hates evil and evil is repugnant to Him.

The assertion is that God's hatred of sin necessitates our having a Mediator. The first part of this has been stipulated. God hates sin. This is settled. There is no need to present any evidence that this is the case.

Quote:
Christ, the Mediator, had direct contact with sin for 33 years, and the pain He experienced can’t be defined by words. It was this that constituted His sacrifice. There was a sundering of the divine powers because of this. And you still say there was no need for a Mediator?

I didn't say this. The author of the lesson said that we need a Mediator because of God's hatred of sin. I took issue with this, and so far no one has presented any argument that this is the case.

We need a Mediator. You provided a very good reason for this, to lead man from sin back to holiness. I've agreed with this several times. Surely you must have read this. How can you read the following:

Quote:
This fits in with your statement that a Mediator was necessary to bring man back from sin to holiness.

and then say

Quote:
And you still say there was no need for a Mediator?

Quote:
I understand, then, that you think the Godhead should have veiled their divinity during the 6,000-year history of this world and have had constant contact with sin during this period.

I don't know what this is in reference to. I also don't understand what you're trying to say here nor why.

Quote:
T:1. Do you see any difference in my theology, in relation to the question we are presently discussing (imputed righteousness) and Waggoner's?

R:Although I haven’t read everything from Waggoner, like you he seems to lay greater stress on the relational aspect of justification. This, however, is unbalanced.

Then how could Ellen White say Waggoner taught it better than she? How could she have given the endorsements she did?

It seems clear to me that if Ellen White is correct in her endorsements, isn't it more likely that your view is unbalanced rather than his?

Quote:
Ellen White’s writings, on the other hand, are perfectly balanced between the two.

Ellen White's writings are in harmony with Waggoner's teachings in regards to righteousness by faith. She endorsed Waggoner's views literally hundreds of times. She said his view of righteousness by faith was direct from the Lord and people who argued against it were fighting against light from heaven. Over and over again.

If she believed her views were correct, and that Waggoner's were incorrect, she could not possibly have endorsed his teachings as she did.

Here's one endorsement, chosen at random:

Quote:
Be careful how you take a position against Elder Waggoner. Have you not the best of evidence that the Lord has been communicating light through him? I have, and the people where he has labored have been greatly blessed under his labors.(1888 Mat 977)

Good advice!

Quote:
T:2.Do you think that Waggoner's position "does not make sense"?

R:Please read again what I wrote. I didn’t say his position, or yours, does not make sense, but that imputed righteousness, in its legal aspect, does not make sense under your theology.

I read what you wrote, and asked the question I did *because* of what you wrote.

If my position regarding imputed righteousness does not make sense, and my position is the same as Waggoner's, then it follows that his position does not make sense. Since I don't have an EGW endorsements regarding my position, but I do regarding Waggoner's, I am seeking to tie my position to his, so that in rejecting my position you are rejecting his, an assertion much easier for me to deal with than your rejecting mine, since who am I? A no one. But I have received light from heaven (according to EGW) from one of His servants. So I'm asking if you see any difference between what I've been presenting and that light.

Quote:
What sense does it make under your theology to say that Christ’s life stands for our life? That since man doesn’t have the perfect character that the law requires Christ’s perfect character stands in place of our character? That even if man tried to keep the law in the future, his past debt of sin remained and the law must condemn him to death, therefore Christ came to pay the debt of man so that he might be granted another trial?

This is a deep subject. It really doesn't do it justice to comment on in brief. This is why I invited you to open up a thread to discuss it. If you do so, I'll be happy to discuss it in detail with you. In brief, I will say that there are various models of the atonement, such as Christus Victor, and others, which accept both Christ's being our substitute, and imputed righteousness, which are not penal. The same thing applies in regards to "debt." (i.e., it need not be seen in terms of the penal model) For example, http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/mischedj/ca_lewisatone.html

Quote:
T:Glad we agree on this! You agree, then, that sin is the problem which necessitates a Mediator?

R:Of course! If there was no sin, there would be no need for a Mediator.

So why not leave it at this? Because of sin, we have a need for a Mediator.

Quote:
Sorry, I must have missed it. Which examples did you present?

Admittedly I didn't do a very full job of this, but at the end of my last post I touched upon this. I'll comment more on Jesus as our Mediator just below. However, I did say something. You've yet to present any argument at all from Jesus Christ, or any other author of Scripture, that Christ became our Mediator because of God's hatred of sin.

Quote:
And where did Jesus teach that because men couldn’t endure God’s presence it was necessary for Him to become our Mediator?

He said no one could come to the Father but by Him. He is the way, the gate, the door.

Here's a good explanation by John:

Quote:
No one has ever seen God. The only Son, who is truly God and is closest to the Father, has shown us what God is like.(John 1:18 CEV)

By the way "presence" is your word. The way you phrased it is not something I asserted. I would say that because of sin our perceptions of God's character have become distorted, and we need a revelation of the truth to set us straight. Further I would say that we could not bear a full revelation of God's glory (His glory is His character) and so Christ came to reveal God's glory in a way that we could bear. As a Mediator, He brings us to God. He does this by revealing the truth about God, which leads us to repentance, pardon, and reconciliation, if we do not resist.

Do you agree that Jesus taught this?

Quote:
T:The "whole purpose" of Christ's ministry was "to set men right through the revelation of God."

R:This, obviously, is not an absolute statement.

"Whole" is "obviously not absolute"? What would be more absolute than "whole"? How could she have more clearly expressed the principle than by the words "whole purpose"?

Quote:
Other statements make clear that God had in view the whole universe, not just “men.”

She is not limiting Christ's work in regards to non-humans, nor even commenting upon it here. Here statement is dealing with Christ's ministry. Christ's ministry was related to man. The whole purpose of His ministry was setting man right by the revelation of God's character. This is obviously dealing with man.

Insofar as what Christ accomplished, as far as man is concerned, it was encompassed by His revealing God to us, by which He reconciles man to God. There is a wonderful explanation of the atonement, and of Mediation, in language a child can understand, and which is thoroughly Biblical.

Quote:
R: How did Christ’s death prove that God’s law is immutable?
T: This is a good question. I'll address this tomorrow.

OK. I’ll be waiting for it.

Ok. Tomorrow is today now, so I'll get that out later today.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #1 - God's Nature: The Basis of ATONEMENT [Re: Tom] #103486
10/08/08 11:01 PM
10/08/08 11:01 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This post deals with Christ's death and the immutability of the law.

The following quotes are from George Fifield. The first one is from the chapter "The Sacrifice of Christ Honors God's Law" from the book "God is Love".

I like these very much, and this work is not well known (it was among EGW's bedside reading) so I'm quoting it at length:

Quote:
Sin is secession from the government of God. Satan seceded, and sought to exalt his throne above that of God. Sinners are those who have joined themselves to Satan’s forces in this secession. God, in infinite love, sends his own and only Son to put down the rebellion. He cannot pardon those who are still in rebellion, for this would but justify the rebellion and dishonor the law, and so perpetuate and multiply the misery. But through Jesus this rebellion is finally to be put down entirely. “The seed of the woman shall bruise the serpent’s head.” O’er every
hilltop of earth and heaven, where for a short time there has waved the black standard of the man of sin, there shall forever float the white pennon of the Prince of Peace.
Every one who lays down his arms and surrenders his opposing will to God has the promise of pardon. This pardon God can grant, and not dishonor his law. Yea, more, it is through this pardon that the mercy and love of God’s law and government are revealed,---a love that only commanded the right way, not to be arbitrary and domineering, but that men might be happy,---a love that when men repent of the wrong, and turn back their hearts toward the broken law, is ever willing to forgive the past and give power for future obedience. It is thus that God can be just, and still the justifier of those who believe on Jesus.2 It is thus that faith in Jesus exalts the law of God to the highest heavens, and establishes it forever.

Quote:
The law of God is not simply his fiat; it rests on eternal principles of pleasure and pain,---principles as unchangeable in their very nature as the laws that govern the seasons or control the motions of the planets. The law is not so simply because God said so, but he said so because it was so, and because it must eternally and universally be so.

On the correct understanding of these principles of the nature of God’s law depends our power to comprehend God’s love in all his dealings with his creatures. On this rests the whole philosophy of the purpose of creation and of the plan of redemption. The existence of misery and suffering, the need for an atonement, and how that atonement is accomplished by Christ, can be understood in the light of God’s love only as the nature of his law stands revealed. It is for this reason that we purpose to dwell at some length in these pages on the nature of God’s law.

We have always thought of the ten commandments as requiring our love to God and to all his creatures; have we ever thought of them as an expression of his love to us? It would be absolutely foolish to demand our love by arbitrary fiat; love cannot be given in that way; love is born only of love. The state might as well legislate that the sun should not shine or that water should not flow downhill, as for the Lord to make such arbitrary demand for love. In either case the law could not affect in the slightest the thing legislated about.

Yet it remains true that all the law of God requires is love, and that, as the apostle says, love is the fulfilling of the law,---of the whole law. How is this?---Simply that the law itself, when we understand it, is a revelation of such infinite love as to beget within us a returning, responsive love that can and will fulfill the law.

“God is love.” Every word, every jot and tittle, of that law, coming from love, requires only such service as love dictates. When the same love which that law expresses to us is begotten by it in our hearts, and flows out toward God and all his creatures in loving actions, then the law is fulfilled. (ibid "The Unity of the Law and the Gospel")

The law sets forth the principles of love, which are the basis of God's government. Satan had accused God of being selfish, of not having the best interests of His creatures at heart. Christ's death demonstrates the reverse, that rather than protect His own interests, God would rather die. For the good of His creatures, Christ (who revealed God) was willing to be lost forever. Amazing love!

Since the law rests on the principle of self-sacrificing love, and is a transcript of God's character, by choosing to die, and even be willing to be lost forever, rather than save Himself, God proved that these principles are secure, fixed, immutable. If Christ had acted out of self-interest, to save Himself, Satan's accusations would have been confirmed. By being obedient unto death, even the death of the cross, Christ put the lie to Satan's accusations.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #1 - God's Nature: The Basis of ATONEMENT [Re: Tom] #103505
10/09/08 08:44 PM
10/09/08 08:44 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Here's what Jude says:
<< And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.>>
Jude says they "left".

Here’s what Revelation says:

Revelation 12:9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Revelation says they left their habitation because they were “cast out”.

A few passages of Ellen White:

Satan and his sympathizers were expelled from heaven.--1SP 23.
And it was decided that Satan should be expelled from heaven – 1 SG 17
The controversy of Satan did not end when he was expelled from the courts of heaven – ST, Dec 11, 1893
After Satan was expelled from heaven – AG 14
War in heaven was the result, and Satan was expelled. – TDG 256

Quote:
R: God cannot tolerate sin in His presence. Sin cannot enter heaven.
T: This is from Job:

<Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them. (Job 1:6)>>

Here is Satan in the presence of God, together with other angels. This would seem to be impossible, given the literal stance you're taking.

Many SDA scholars interpret this passage as referring to a meeting of Christ with the representatives of the worlds which must have occurred not in heaven, but in some other place. Because Christ hadn’t yet died to rescue earth from Satan’s dominion, in order to be fair He had to permit Satan to be present as the representative of our world.
However, bear in mind that for God to deal with sinners (fallen angels and fallen men) in these 6,000+ years of sin, He has been putting a constraint upon His own attribute of holiness (since holiness destroys sin). This is an unnatural condition for Him, and I think anyone would agree that this condition is still more difficult and painful when there is need for a direct contact with sin.

Quote:
R: Christ, the Mediator, had direct contact with sin for 33 years, and the pain He experienced can’t be defined by words. It was this that constituted His sacrifice. There was a sundering of the divine powers because of this. And you still say there was no need for a Mediator?
T: I didn't say this.

I meant, “And you say there was no need for a Mediator in view of God’s holiness (His love for righteousness and abhorrence of sin)?”
One of the reasons for the appointment of a Mediator was to make clear that God is completely separate from sin, and that the salvation of man was only possible through an infinite sacrifice on His part of putting a constraint on His own attributes.
The plan of salvation required a direct contact with sin during some time here on earth. One of the members of the Godhead – appointed as Mediator - proposed to undertake this part of the plan. While this member of the Godhead would put a maximum constraint upon His attribute of holiness (by taking sin upon Himself), another member of the Godhead would let His holiness naturally operate without any constraint – this was what happened on the cross.

Quote:
I am seeking to tie my position to his, so that in rejecting my position you are rejecting his

The historical context naturally influenced the way he presented the subject. Since he was speaking to legalists, it would be only natural for him to lay a greater stress on the relational aspect. This happened even with the biblical writers – take a look at the difference in emphasis about justification by faith that we see between Paul and James. Ellen White, however, had a broader scope, so she presents both aspects in a more balanced way.

Quote:
R: And where did Jesus teach that because men couldn’t endure God’s presence it was necessary for Him to become our Mediator?
T: He said no one could come to the Father but by Him. He is the way, the gate, the door.

But who said that this is because men couldn’t endure God’s presence? I would use the very same passages and say that Christ is the only way because God can’t forgive sins without His substitutive sacrifice.

Quote:
By the way "presence" is your word. The way you phrased it is not something I asserted.

Huh? I’ve been using it because of your statement in your post #103423:

<<Secondly, if you are going to assert something like this, it would be good to present some evidence that this is so. Why is this the most important thing? Why couldn't the most important thing be something else? Like, for example, that sin causes us to be unable to endure God's presence?>>

Quote:
Since the law rests on the principle of self-sacrificing love, and is a transcript of God's character, by choosing to die, and even be willing to be lost forever, rather than save Himself, God proved that these principles are secure, fixed, immutable. If Christ had acted out of self-interest, to save Himself, Satan's accusations would have been confirmed. By being obedient unto death, even the death of the cross, Christ put the lie to Satan's accusations.

But it’s not this that Ellen White says. In the quote I provided, for instance, she says,

“But it was not merely to accomplish the redemption of man that Christ came to the earth to suffer and to die. He came to ‘magnify the law’ and to ‘make it honorable.’ Not alone that the inhabitants of this world might regard the law as it should be regarded; but it was to demonstrate to all the worlds of the universe that God's law is unchangeable. Could its claims have been set aside, then the Son of God need not have yielded up his life to atone for its transgression. The death of Christ proves it immutable.” {GC 503.1}

So what she is saying is that, because the law is immutable, Christ had to yield up His life to atone for its transgression.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #1 - God's Nature: The Basis of ATONEMENT [Re: Rosangela] #103508
10/09/08 11:27 PM
10/09/08 11:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Here’s what Revelation says:

Revelation 12:9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Revelation says they left their habitation because they were “cast out”.

This is from "It Is Finished," in "The Desire of Ages"

Quote:
Could one sin have been found in Christ, had He in one particular yielded to Satan to escape the terrible torture, the enemy of God and man would have triumphed. Christ bowed His head and died, but He held fast His faith and His submission to God. "And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night." Rev. 12:10.

Satan saw that his disguise was torn away. His administration was laid open before the unfallen angels and before the heavenly universe. He had revealed himself as a murderer. By shedding the blood of the Son of God, he had uprooted himself from the sympathies of the heavenly beings. Henceforth his work was restricted. Whatever attitude he might assume, he could no longer await the angels as they came from the heavenly courts, and before them accuse Christ's brethren of being clothed with the garments of blackness and the defilement of sin. The last link of sympathy between Satan and the heavenly world was broken. (DA 761)

The Great Controversy is a war of ideas, not a physical batter (or else God would have won it instantly, eons ago when it began). What is it that caused Satan to be "cast down"? Christ's death. Why? "Satan saw that his disguise was torn away."

Another quote:

Quote:
"Now is the judgment of this world," Christ continued; "now shall the prince of this world be cast out. And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all unto Me. This He said, signifying what death He should die." This is the crisis of the world. If I become the propitiation for the sins of men, the world will be lighted up. Satan's hold upon the souls of men will be broken.(DA 625)

Again, the casting down is not physical in nature, but spiritual. The word is "lighted up," resulting in Satan's hold upon souls being broken = "the prince of this world will be cast out."

Rebellion is not to be overcome by force.

Quote:
Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy, and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God's government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power.(DA 759)

Force is not a principle of the Lord; it is not how He obtains victories. It is by the revelation of truth that Satan is overcome.

Quote:
Many SDA scholars interpret this passage as referring to a meeting of Christ with the representatives of the worlds which must have occurred not in heaven, but in some other place. Because Christ hadn’t yet died to rescue earth from Satan’s dominion, in order to be fair He had to permit Satan to be present as the representative of our world.

Even if this didn't occur in heaven, Satan was still in God's presence. If God cannot literally tolerate sin in His physical presence, that shouldn't be possible, right?

Quote:
However, bear in mind that for God to deal with sinners (fallen angels and fallen men) in these 6,000+ years of sin, He has been putting a constraint upon His own attribute of holiness (since holiness destroys sin). This is an unnatural condition for Him, and I think anyone would agree that this condition is still more difficult and painful when there is need for a direct contact with sin.

I agree that God does this, and this proves that to say that God cannot tolerate sin does not mean literally that God cannot be physically present where sin is. Nor does God need a Mediator in order to do this.

Quote:
I meant, “And you say there was no need for a Mediator in view of God’s holiness (His love for righteousness and abhorrence of sin)?”

Because of sin, there is a need for the sinner to have a Mediator, because the sinner cannot stand to be in the presence of God. So the sinner relates to the Mediator, who has shrouded His glory, so that the sinner can see the Father, without being destroyed. This requirement is not because of God's hatred of sin, but because of God's character as a whole. There's no reason to limit the requirement to God's hatred of sin.

Since God's holiness is simply God's goodness, if you want to say God's goodness (or holiness) requires a Mediator, I agree with that, since we, as sinners, cannot bear His glory (which is His character, His goodness).

Quote:
One of the reasons for the appointment of a Mediator was to make clear that God is completely separate from sin,

Do you mean as a teaching device?

Quote:
and that the salvation of man was only possible through an infinite sacrifice on His part of putting a constraint on His own attributes.

I guess you're saying here that God had to shroud His glory so that sinners wouldn't be destroyed(?)

Quote:
The plan of salvation required a direct contact with sin during some time here on earth. One of the members of the Godhead – appointed as Mediator - proposed to undertake this part of the plan. While this member of the Godhead would put a maximum constraint upon His attribute of holiness (by taking sin upon Himself), another member of the Godhead would let His holiness naturally operate without any constraint – this was what happened on the cross.

That's an interesting way of putting it. This seems OK. (The "taking sin upon Himself" is a bit vague.)

Quote:
The historical context naturally influenced the way he presented the subject. Since he was speaking to legalists, it would be only natural for him to lay a greater stress on the relational aspect. This happened even with the biblical writers – take a look at the difference in emphasis about justification by faith that we see between Paul and James. Ellen White, however, had a broader scope, so she presents both aspects in a more balanced way.

I think Waggoner was dealing with similar issues that we are dealing with. Scott has made this same point. When I present the same arguments Waggoner presented, you naturally disagree with these arguments, just like Butler and Smith did.

There's really very little of Waggoner you agree with. I'd guess at least 95% of the time you disagree with thing I present of his, and I've presented a wide range of quotes from him, not just one or two isolated things where you could argue I was just lucky (or unlucky). There's a disconnect going on here where, on the one hand, you "agree" with a prophet who strongly endorsed the teaching of a person, yet 95%+ of the time you disagree with the teachings of that person! That's quite remarkable.

When I quoted from Waggoner in regards to imputed righteousness, you suggested my quote was emphasizing a particular aspect, while ignoring another. So I have invited you to take *any* quote from his writings dealing with the subject (let's say during the time EGW endorsed him, which was at least from 1888-1896). Waggoner has written hundreds of pages on the subject.

Now if you cannot find a single quote where he disagrees with what I've been presenting on inputed righteousness, isn't it fair to say that his view agrees with mine? Now if his view agrees with mine, and you say my view doesn't make sense (in regards to imputed righteousness; this is the context) then isn't it fair to say that you don't think his view makes sense?

Now for the point. How could Ellen White have endorsed Waggoner's view of righteousness by faith if Waggoner was off base on such a fundamental concept as imputed righteousness?

Quote:
R: And where did Jesus teach that because men couldn’t endure God’s presence it was necessary for Him to become our Mediator?
T: He said no one could come to the Father but by Him. He is the way, the gate, the door.

R:But who said that this is because men couldn’t endure God’s presence? I would use the very same passages and say that Christ is the only way because God can’t forgive sins without His substitutive sacrifice.

It's not that God can't forgive sins without a substitutive sacrifice. We know this isn't the case from Lucifer's case. God offered him pardon "again and again." He would have restored him to his position had he "confessed his sin." So there's no doubt God can forgive sin without substitutionary sacrifice.

From Fifield:

Quote:
The life of Christ was not the price paid to the Father for our pardon; but that life was the price which the Father paid to so manifest his loving power as to bring us to that repentant attitude of mind where he could pardon us freely.(God is Love)

This makes sense. From "The Desire of Ages"

Quote:
But even as a sinner, man was in a different position from that of Satan. Lucifer in heaven had sinned in the light of God's glory. To him as to no other created being was given a revelation of God's love. Understanding the character of God, knowing His goodness, Satan chose to follow his own selfish, independent will. This choice was final. There was no more that God could do to save him. But man was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. (DA 761)

So not sacrifice needed for Lucifer (who knew God's character and love, and could repent without the cross) but one for man (who didn't and couldn't).

I don't know if you read the thing I posted for Arnold by Ty Gibson. It explained the sin problem in a way I think makes sense. Sin damages ours minds, and causes us to think things about God which are not true. This impairs our ability to love and trust God, which leads us into more sin, and the cycle continues. The solution?

Quote:

This first chapter of "The Desire of Ages" has a wonderful explanation of this same thing. By making known the truth about God, Satan's lies are dispelled, and they way is paved for man to be able to love and trust God, which is necessary in order to be obedient to Him.

Quote:
Belief in the propitiation for sin enables fallen man to love God with his whole heart and his neighbor as himself.(COL 378)

Quote:
But who said that this is because men couldn’t endure God’s presence? I would use the very same passages and say that Christ is the only way because God can’t forgive sins without His substitutive sacrifice.

I understand entering in God's presence to be a spiritual thing, not a physical thing. Iow, man could not have a relationship with God. He needed the revelation of God in order to be set right with God, to use Ellen White's words. According to her, this was the whole purpose of Christ's mission. I believe Jesus was saying the same thing she was when He spoke of the way, the gate, and the door. It's the same idea expressed when He said, "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father." and "To know God is life eternal."

Quote:

Quote:
But it’s not this that Ellen White says.

Sure she says these things. The law is a transcript of God's character, rests on the principle of self-sacrificing love, which principles are fixed, secure immutable, proved as such by Christ's death. All these things she affirmed many times.

Quote:
So what she is saying is that, because the law is immutable, Christ had to yield up His life to atone for its transgression.

I agree with this. If the law were not immutable, then God's character would not be immutable, since the law is a transcript of God's character. If God's character were not immutable, the whole issue would have been settled right there (Satan would have been right to question God's character), and the death of Christ would have been irrelevant.

Reply Quote
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!