HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,617
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Karen Y, Nadi, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,348 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 22 1 2 3 4 21 22
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: asygo] #103541
10/12/08 02:38 PM
10/12/08 02:38 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
While I don't know exactly what people think each model entails, I'm pretty sure I don't want to be stuck with just one.

I agree. All the models have some truth in them. I just defend the penal substitution model because generally those who hold to the first and the third models attack it as if it was an absurd model, completely wrong from beginning to end.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #103542
10/12/08 04:40 PM
10/12/08 04:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I just defend the penal substitution model because generally those who hold to the first and the third models attack it as if it was an absurd model, completely wrong from beginning to end.

Not really. It's more to the point that there are certain aspects of the Penal Model which are problematic. Some of the things which are asserted are true, which makes it more difficult to argue against. If everything about it were wrong, then the supporters of this view wouldn't find anything to defend it by. But since some of the things asserted are true, defenders of it latch on to those, as if they somehow proved their case.

I'll give two examples.

1."Without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sin."

Every Atonement Model asserts this is true, but Penal Substitution (PS) adherents quote this as if it somehow proved their view was correct.

2.Jesus Christ gave Himself "a ransom for many."

Similarly, all the Atonement Models assert this is true, yet PS adherents will quote this as if it somehow proved their view was correct.

From the "Four Views" book:

Quote:
The word ransom simply means "the price of release" and was most commonly used when purchasing slaves from the slave market. Hence the Christus Victor model can simply take this to mean that Christ did whatever it took to release us from slavery to the powers, and this he did by becoming incarnate, living an outrageously loving life in defiance of the powers, freeing people from the oppression of the devil through healins and exorcisms, teaching the way of self-sacrifical love, and most definitively by his sacrificial death and victorious resurrection. He "paid the price" needed to bring us and the whole of creation into God's salvation.

Fifield asserts the following:

Quote:
The life of Christ was not the price paid to the Father for our pardon; but that life was the price which the Father paid to so manifest his loving power as to bring us to that repentant attitude of mind where he could pardon us freely. (God is Love)

I recall asking where there was any instance at all where Jesus taught the Penal Substitution model, and the only text presented was the Mark 10:45 text, that Jesus gave His life as a ransom for many. I pointed out that, in context, Jesus wasn't teaching PS at all:

Quote:
40But to sit on my right hand and on my left hand is not mine to give; but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared.

41And when the ten heard it, they began to be much displeased with James and John.

42But Jesus called them to him, and saith unto them, Ye know that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them.

43But so shall it not be among you: but whosoever will be great among you, shall be your minister:

44And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all.

45For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many. (Mark 10)

In context, a request had been made to be at Jesus' right hand when He set up His kingdom. They were wanting to be closest to Him, because they wanted to be the greatest, according to the worldly way of looking at things, where the greatest is the one with the most servants.

Jesus explained that His kingdom was not of this order, that the greatest in His kingdom was not the one who was most served, but the one who served the most, and gave Himself as an example in the giving of His life.

In context, there is absolutely nothing whatsoever suggesting that Jesus had to die in order for God to be legally able to pardon us. So, since this text doesn't have anything to do with PS, I asked if there was any other text which could be adduced, but none have been suggested.

It is very odd to think that Jesus would never have clearly taught PS, if this was really the chief reason (or even a chief reason) for His death.

Otoh, under the Christus Victor, or GC, view, *everything* Jesus did ties into this model. To use Ellen White's words:

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.(ST 1/20/90)

Given the "whole purpose" of His mission was the "revelation of God," it follows that everything He did was for this purpose; and this fits right in with the CV Model.

Using the words of the author cited earlier (in the 4 Views book)

Quote:
(T)he CV model reveals the profound interconnectedness of everything Christ was about. All these things are ultimately about one things: establishing the reign of God by vanquishing the reign of Satan and the powers through the power of self-sacrificial love. (p. 46, emphasis original)

How does self-sacrificial love vanquish the reign of Satan? The following quote, by EGW, speaks to this:

Quote:
"And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night." Rev. 12:10.

Satan saw that his disguise was torn away. His administration was laid open before the unfallen angels and before the heavenly universe. He had revealed himself as a murderer. By shedding the blood of the Son of God, he had uprooted himself from the sympathies of the heavenly beings. Henceforth his work was restricted. Whatever attitude he might assume, he could no longer await the angels as they came from the heavenly courts, and before them accuse Christ's brethren of being clothed with the garments of blackness and the defilement of sin. The last link of sympathy between Satan and the heavenly world was broken. (DA 761)

The GC involves the character of two beings; Christ (or God, who is revealed by Christ) and Satan. Satan vested God with his own character, presenting God as arbitrary, severe, harsh, self-serving, impatient, not having our best interest at heart, to name a few things, and presented himself as having God's characteristics, beneficent, having our best interests at heart, desiring our freedom, to name a few.

Jesus Christ vanquished the enemy by revealing the truth about the character of both protagonists.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #103550
10/12/08 06:42 PM
10/12/08 06:42 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
All the models have some truth in them. I just defend the penal substitution model because generally those who hold to the first and the third models attack it as if it was an absurd model, completely wrong from beginning to end.

I find myself in the same position. The penal model is not all-encompassing, but it has aspects of truth that the others do not.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: asygo] #103554
10/12/08 09:50 PM
10/12/08 09:50 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's one specific problem with the penal model. If I owe you a debt, and someone else pays it, and I accept that payment in your behalf, I cannot say that I have forgiven you your debt. I didn't forgive it; I insisted it be paid, and accepted payment for it.

So if God accepted payment for our debt, God cannot be said to have forgiven it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103555
10/12/08 10:05 PM
10/12/08 10:05 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
Here's one specific problem with the penal model. If I owe you a debt, and someone else pays it, and I accept that payment in your behalf, I cannot say that I have forgiven you your debt. I didn't forgive it; I insisted it be paid, and accepted payment for it.

So if God accepted payment for our debt, God cannot be said to have forgiven it.

Perhaps. But just as correct aspects of a model does not mean that it is completely correct, incorrect aspects of a model does not mean that it is completely incorrect.

Here's a truth that I believe:
 Quote:
the debt which he had incurred in the past remained, and the law must condemn him to death. Christ came to pay that debt for the sinner which it was impossible for him to pay for himself. {FW 30.1}

How do the other models teach that a debt for past sins remains even if the sinner keeps God's law from now on, a debt that Jesus pays for us?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103557
10/12/08 10:55 PM
10/12/08 10:55 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:

There is a mistake here. The case is not that you owe me a debt and someone else pays it, but that you owe me a debt, and I myself pay it.

By the way, Tom, you may have missed my post #103540.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #103558
10/12/08 11:06 PM
10/12/08 11:06 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
There is a mistake here. The case is not that you owe me a debt and someone else pays it, but that you owe me a debt, and I myself pay it.

Which, at least in the case of financial debts, is the way every canceled debt works.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103559
10/12/08 11:11 PM
10/12/08 11:11 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
The cosmic "murderer" who has "from the beginning" been behind every spiritual, physiological and physical ailment humans have ever experienced has at long last been "driven out" (Jn 8:44; 12:31). (The Nature of The Atonement, p. 143-145; emphasis original)

That's a good angle, that eradication of Satan eradicates the root. But interestingly, I will touch on this in my sermon, but will deviate from it, sort of. I think I'll post my outline in advance for critique and possible modification.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: asygo] #103560
10/12/08 11:17 PM
10/12/08 11:17 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
T:Here's one specific problem with the penal model. If I owe you a debt, and someone else pays it, and I accept that payment in your behalf, I cannot say that I have forgiven you your debt. I didn't forgive it; I insisted it be paid, and accepted payment for it.

A:Perhaps. But just as correct aspects of a model does not mean that it is completely correct, incorrect aspects of a model does not mean that it is completely incorrect.

No, this is too fundamental a matter to just brush off. If the model is so flawed that we cannot correctly say that God has forgiven us, we need a new model!

Quote:
the debt which he had incurred in the past remained, and the law must condemn him to death. Christ came to pay that debt for the sinner which it was impossible for him to pay for himself. {FW 30.1}

How do the other models teach that a debt for past sins remains even if the sinner keeps God's law from now on, a debt that Jesus pays for us?

First of all, a person who has not been justified by faith, which is to say pardoned, cannot keep the law. In the EGW quote, she says, "He might try to keep God's law in the future; but the debt which he had incurred in the past remained, and the law must condemn him to death." A person might try to keep the law, but the person couldn't succeed, without being justified by faith, which is to say pardoned.

If a person has been pardoned, and from that point on never sinned again, such a person would still not have a perfect record to present before God as the basis for admittance into heaven. We can appeal to God on the basis of works, or of grace. Who of us would choose to say to God, "I want into heaven on the basis of my good deeds?"

This seems to be an issue which is irrespective of the atonement model one holds. For example, for 1,500 years from Christ's death, the penal substitution model did not exist, yet Christians knew enough not to depend upon their own good works as a basis for getting into heaven.

Here's something from C. S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity" which speaks of the debt we owe being paid, but in a non-penal way:

We are told that Christ was killed for us, that His death has washed
out our sins, and that by dying He disabled death itself. That is the
formula. That is Christianity. That is what has to be believed. Any theories
we build up as to how Christ's death did all this are, in my view, quite
secondary: mere plans or diagrams to be left alone if they do not help us,
and, even if they do help us, not to be confused with the thing itself. All
the same, some of these theories are worth looking at.

The one most people have heard is the one I mentioned before -the one
about our being let off because Christ had volunteered to bear a punishment
instead of us. Now on the face of it that is a very silly theory. If God was
prepared to let us off, why on earth did He not do so? And what possible
point could there be in punishing an innocent person instead? None at all
that I can see, if you are thinking of punishment in the police-court sense.
On the other hand, if you think of a debt, there is plenty of point in a
person who has some assets paying it on behalf of someone who has not. Or if
you take "paying the penalty," not in the sense of being punished, but in
the more general sense of "standing the racket" or "footing the bill," then,
of course, it is a matter of common experience that, when one person has got
himself into a hole, the trouble of getting him out usually falls on a kind
friend. Now what was the sort of "hole" man had got himself into? He had
tried to set up on his own, to behave as if he belonged to himself. In other
words, fallen man is not simply an imperfect creature who needs improvement:
he is a rebel who must lay down his arms. Laying down your arms,
surrendering, saying you are sorry, realising that you have been on the
wrong track and getting ready to start life over again from the ground
floor-that is the only way out of a "hole." This process of surrender-this
movement full speed astern-is what Christians call repentance.

Now repentance is no fun at all. It is something much harder than merely eating
humble pie. It means unlearning all the self-conceit and self-will that we
have been training ourselves into for thousands of years. It means killing
part of yourself, undergoing a kind of death. In fact, it needs a good man
to repent. And here comes the catch. Only a bad person needs to repent: only
a good person can repent perfectly. The worse you are the more you need it
and the less you can do it. The only person who could do it perfectly would
be a perfect person-and he would not need it.

Remember, this repentance, this willing submission to humiliation and a
kind of death, is not something God demands of you before He will take you
back and which He could let you off if He chose: it is simply a description
of what going back to Him is like. If you ask God to take you back without
it, you are really asking Him to let you go back without going back. It
cannot hap pen. Very well, then, we must go through with it. But the same
badness which makes us need it, makes us unable to do it. Can we do it if
God helps us? Yes, but what do we mean when we talk of God helping us? We
mean God putting into us a bit of Himself, so to speak. He lends us a little
of His reasoning powers and that is how we think: He puts a little of His
love into us and that is how we love one another. When you teach a child
writing, you hold its hand while it forms the letters: that is, it forms the
letters because you are forming them. We love and reason because God loves
and reasons and holds our hand while we do it. Now if we had not fallen,
that would be all plain sailing. But unfortunately we now need God's help in
order to do something which God, in His own nature, never does at all-to
surrender, to suffer, to submit, to die. Nothing in God's nature corresponds
to this process at all. So that the one road for which we now need God's
leadership most of all is a road God, in His own nature, has never walked.
God can share only what He has: this thing, in His own nature, He has not.
But supposing God became a man-suppose our human nature which can
suffer and die was amalgamated with God's nature in one person-then that
person could help us. He could surrender His will, and suffer and die,
because He was man; and He could do it perfectly because He was God. You and
I can go through this process only if God does it in us; but God can do it
only if He becomes man. Our attempts at this dying will succeed only if we
men share in God's dying, just as our thinking can succeed only because it
is a drop out of the ocean of His intelligence: but we cannot share God's
dying unless God dies; and He cannot die except by being a man. That is the
sense in which He pays our debt, and suffers for us what He Himself need not
suffer at all.

I have heard some people complain that if Jesus was God as well as man,
then His sufferings and death lose all value in their eyes, "because it must
have been so easy for him." Others may (very rightly) rebuke the ingratitude
and ungraciousness of this objection; what staggers me is the
misunderstanding it betrays. In one sense, of course, those who make it are
right. They have even understated their own case. The perfect submission,
the perfect suffering, the perfect death were not only easier to Jesus
because He was God, but were possible only because He was God. But surely
that is a very odd reason for not accepting them? The teacher is able to
form the letters for the child because the teacher is grown-up and knows how
to write. That, of course, makes it easier for the teacher, and only because
it is easier for him can he help the child. If it rejected him because "it's
easy for grown-ups" and waited to learn writing from another child who could
not write itself (and so had no "unfair" advantage), it would not get on
very quickly.

If I am drowning in a rapid river, a man who still has one
foot on the bank may give me a hand which saves my life. Ought I to shout
back (between my gasps) "No, it's not fair! You have an advantage! You're
keeping one foot on the bank"? That advantage-call it "unfair" if you
like-is the only reason why he can be of any use to me. To what will you
look for help if you will not look to that which is stronger than yourself?
Such is my own way of looking at what Christians call the Atonement.
But remember this is only one more picture. Do not mistake it for the thing
itself: and if it does not help you, drop it.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103561
10/12/08 11:20 PM
10/12/08 11:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
(Book)The cosmic "murderer" who has "from the beginning" been behind every spiritual, physiological and physical ailment humans have ever experienced has at long last been "driven out" (Jn 8:44; 12:31). (The Nature of The Atonement, p. 143-145; emphasis original)

A:That's a good angle, that eradication of Satan eradicates the root. But interestingly, I will touch on this in my sermon, but will deviate from it, sort of. I think I'll post my outline in advance for critique and possible modification.

By "eradication of Satan" you mean the unveiling that EGW speaks about here:

Quote:
"And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night." Rev. 12:10.

Satan saw that his disguise was torn away.(DA 761)

Or did you have something else in mind?

Page 2 of 22 1 2 3 4 21 22

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!