HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,598
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,200 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 22 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 21 22
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #104124
11/02/08 01:56 AM
11/02/08 01:56 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:They weren't saying they were righteous because they had never sinned. They were saying simply that the other guy was born in sins, and they weren't.

R:They weren’t saying it literally, but that was their clear intent.

I think their clear intent was that the guy was born in sins, and they weren't. He was beneath them because he was born in sins, which was evidenced by the fact that he was blind. They took the fact that they weren't blind, and he was, as a sign that they were more favored by God than he. That they had not sinned their entire life didn't enter into this at all.

Quote:
It was generally believed by the Jews that sin is punished in this life. Every affliction was regarded as the penalty of some wrongdoing, either of the sufferer himself or of his parents. It is true that all suffering results from the transgression of God's law, but this truth had become perverted. Satan, the author of sin and all its results, had led men to look upon disease and death as proceeding from God,--as punishment arbitrarily inflicted on account of sin. Hence one upon whom some great affliction or calamity had fallen had the additional burden of being regarded as a great sinner.(DA 471)

This is commenting on their thoughts in regards to the blind person.

Quote:
Tom, again, the article’s author is just commenting about the hyperboles of the early rabbies, and using the expression ironically.

The article said:

Quote:
Moreover, because the biblical heroes are so extraordinarily righteous, it is simply unthinkable that they should have grievously transgressed prohibitions such as idolatry, adultery, or even rank deception.

Why do you think this is ironic? I think it means just what it says. Because the biblical heores were very, very righteous, it is unthinkable that they should have greviously sinned. "Extraordinarly righteous" means "very obeident." If "righteous" means "never sinned one's whole life" "extraordinarily righteous" wouldn't make sense as a phrase.

Quote:
Right, and since all are disobedient, for “all have sinned”, the curse is upon all. I agree with Waggoner that faith removes the curse. But why? Because the Substitute “redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us” (Gal 3:13).

Here is Waggoner's argument:

Quote:
So, then, they that are of faith are keepers of the law; for they that are of faith are blessed, and those who do the commandments are blessed. By faith they do the commandments. The Gospel is contrary to human nature, and so it is that we become doers of the law, not by doing, but by believing. If we worked for righteousness, we should be exercising only our own sinful human nature, and so would get no nearer to righteousness, but farther from it; but by believing the "exceeding great and precious promises," we become partakers of the Divine nature (2Pet.1:4), and then all our works are wrought in God.

1.The curse comes upon the disobedent.
2.They that are of faith are keepers of the law.
3.Because they are keepers of the law, they are not under the curse.
4.Those who are "of the works of the law" are under a curse because are disobedient to the law.

Quote:
But *I* was referring to that, because that was Satan’s argument.

“Because he, after his rebellion, had been banished from heaven, Satan claimed that the human race must be forever shut out from God's favor. God could not be just, he urged, and yet show mercy to the sinner” (DA 761).

You were responding to what *I* wrote. I was the one who brought up the question, which still hasn't been answered, which is if Lucifer had accepted God's offer of pardon, what accusation against God would have remained?

Quote:
T:Could we say that? There are important aspects of the Plan of Salvation which Christ did not teach plainly. Would you agree to that? He didn't teach them plainly because the disciples weren't ready to hear it. This is what I'm understanding you to say. Is this correct?

R:Yes, this is true for the period of His ministry before the crucifixion. He must have taught these truths in more detail after His resurrection, during the 40 days He was on earth, or afterwards, through prophetic revelations of the Holy Spirit.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. We're in disagreement on this point. I think Jesus Christ taught the essential aspects of the Plan of Salvation.

Quote:
You have questioned that *God* needed Christ's death. What Ellen White is saying here is that there was something which prevented God’s love and grace to act – it was the charge of lessening the guilt of sin. Christ removed that charge by dying in our behalf and giving an equivalent for our debt. IOW, God (the Godhead) needed Christ’s death.

If God needed Christ's death in order to pardon, then He couldn't have offered Lucifer pardon. But He did offer Lucifer pardon. Therefore Christ's death is not necessary for God.

You asked me what I thought the passage meant. I quote what she said immediately after the part you quoted. I think she explained her meaning. I don't think your suggestion makes sense, as I understand it, that the constraint was upon God. The constraint is upon human beings *receiving* the love of God, not on God's being able to love us. God loves us because He is love. Here's the very next sentence after what you quoted:

Quote:
For all who receive Christ as their personal Saviour, there is opened an ample channel, in which human and divine instrumentalities can co-operate to communicate to the world the tide of God's love.

This is talking about receiving Christ as one's personal Savior. Doing this allows God's grace and love to be effective.

Quote:
R: He didn’t die because He was crucified (which was what the Jews and Romans did); that’s the point.
T: Peter says He did:

Tom, did Christ die because of the cross?

Did Peter say Christ was crucified and slain?

Quote:
R: Being rejected of God is OK. Or being under God’s wrath. Or feeling the weight of one’s own sins.
T: Of course, Christ was not really rejected by God.

R:Well, these were your words. I added other phrases to express the thought because I didn’t know exactly what you meant by it.

I was speaking of what being cursed would have meant to a Jew.

Quote:
R: It’s a forensic penalty if it happens as the outcome of a judgment.

T: I don't believe any 1st century Jew would have had this thought. Or 1st century non-Jew. I don't think this was a concept which existed at this time.

R:The text which Paul cites in Gal 3:13 (to verify the fact that Christ "became a curse") is set within a context dealing with capital punishments (Deut. 21:18-23). The capital punishment came as the result of a judicial decision (see Deut. 21:19-21). Then the criminal's corpse was hung on a "tree" or "wooden post" the same day of his death to be exposed as a warning.

There were cultural connotations to the manner of one's death, which this manner of death was dealing with. It wasn't communicating the forensic idea of penalty you are speaking of (which wasn't a part of their thinking), but the idea of dying in a certain manner, indicative of being an outcast of the Covenant community.

Quote:
Also I don't think is reflecting what really happened. Jesus' suffering was not the *result* of a penalty being arbitrarily enforced upon Him so that we could be let off. Instead, His suffering *was* the penalty; it was the result of sin.

Well, Ellen White describes it as a judicial punishment:

“God permits his Son to be delivered up for our offenses. He himself assumes toward the Sin-bearer the character of a judge, divesting himself of the endearing qualities of a father. “ {SpTA04 20.2}

“He, the sin-bearer, endures judicial punishment for iniquity, and becomes sin itself for man.” {3SP 162.2}

I think this statement ties into this:

Quote:
(M)an was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God.

Through Jesus, God's mercy was manifested to men; but mercy does not set aside justice. The law reveals the attributes of God's character, and not a jot or tittle of it could be changed to meet man in his fallen condition. God did not change His law, but He sacrificed Himself, in Christ, for man's redemption. "God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself." 2 Cor. 5:19.

The law requires righteousness,--a righteous life, a perfect character; and this man has not to give. He cannot meet the claims of God's holy law. But Christ, coming to the earth as man, lived a holy life, and developed a perfect character. These He offers as a free gift to all who will receive them. His life stands for the life of men. Thus they have remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God. More than this, Christ imbues men with the attributes of God. He builds up the human character after the similitude of the divine character, a goodly fabric of spiritual strength and beauty. Thus the very righteousness of the law is fulfilled in the believer in Christ. God can "be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus." Rom. 3:26. (DA 762)

If the point of view you are coming from were true, I don't see how God could have offered Lucifer pardon without Christ's dying.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #104148
11/02/08 08:18 PM
11/02/08 08:18 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
I think their clear intent was that the guy was born in sins, and they weren't. He was beneath them because he was born in sins, which was evidenced by the fact that he was blind. They took the fact that they weren't blind, and he was, as a sign that they were more favored by God than he. That they had not sinned their entire life didn't enter into this at all.

That they were referring to his life and their own lives not just in relation to birth, but to their whole existence up to that point, is evidenced by their reply to him: "You were completely born in sins, and are you teaching us?" Of course the implied thought is that they were righteous until that moment, and he a sinner until that moment - and that's why he was unworthy to teach them.

Quote:
Why do you think this is ironic? I think it means just what it says. Because the biblical heores were very, very righteous, it is unthinkable that they should have greviously sinned. "Extraordinarly righteous" means "very obeident." If "righteous" means "never sinned one's whole life" "extraordinarily righteous" wouldn't make sense as a phrase.

Exactly that is the point. For the author, “righteous” does not mean “flawless,” but for some of the old rabbis, it did. The expression is ironic because the author doesn’t share their opinion, and he is criticizing the “hyperbolic praise,” the “examples of hyperbole extolling the virtues of biblical heroes,” the “extravagant praise for biblical heroes,” “the notion of the heroes’ flawlessness,” “the fawning approbation ... [of] biblical figures,” “their view of the blamelessness of the righteous.”

Quote:
R: Right, and since all are disobedient, for “all have sinned”, the curse is upon all. I agree with Waggoner that faith removes the curse. But why? Because the Substitute “redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us” (Gal 3:13).
T: Here is Waggoner's argument: ...
1.The curse comes upon the disobedent.
2.They that are of faith are keepers of the law.
3.Because they are keepers of the law, they are not under the curse.
4.Those who are "of the works of the law" are under a curse because are disobedient to the law.

Both you and he completely overlook Paul’s argument that “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law,” how? by “having become a curse for us” (Gal 3:13). So the curse is removed by faith in Christ’s substitutive sacrifice, and not by the believer’s obedience of faith. The believer’s obedience of faith is just a fruit, or result, of the faith in Christ’s substitutive sacrifice.

Quote:
R: But *I* was referring to that, because that was Satan’s argument.
T: You were responding to what *I* wrote. I was the one who brought up the question, which still hasn't been answered, which is if Lucifer had accepted God's offer of pardon, what accusation against God would have remained?

And you were responding to what *I* wrote, that “the legal dispositions of the plan of salvation exist to refute/avoid Satan’s accusations against God before the universe.”
Let’s try again.
God’s offer of pardon to Lucifer occurred before he defied God’s will, before he cast off his allegiance to God and His law, and, therefore, before he was in the same situation which Adam and Eve found themselves after they transgressed.
After man sinned, Satan said that God would not be just if He showed mercy to the sinner, because after his own rebellion he had been banished from heaven. So, if he couldn’t be forgiven, neither could man.
But, by dying in our behalf, Christ removed from God all charge of lessening the guilt of sin. Therefore, God (the Godhead) needed Christ’s death.

Quote:
R: He didn’t die because He was crucified (which was what the Jews and Romans did); that’s the point.
T: Peter says He did:
R: Tom, did Christ die because of the cross?
T: Did Peter say Christ was crucified and slain?

David did not kill Uriah directly, but God considered him guilty of Uriah’s death because that was his intention. The same is true about Jews and Romans; God considered them guilty of Christ’s death, but you know and I know that Christ didn’t die because of the cross. So, the fact that the Jews were considered guilty of Christ’s death has nothing whatsoever to do with our salvation. Our sins killed Christ – this has to do with our salvation.

Quote:
R: The text which Paul cites in Gal 3:13 (to verify the fact that Christ "became a curse") is set within a context dealing with capital punishments (Deut. 21:18-23). The capital punishment came as the result of a judicial decision (see Deut. 21:19-21). Then the criminal's corpse was hung on a "tree" or "wooden post" the same day of his death to be exposed as a warning.
T: There were cultural connotations to the manner of one's death, which this manner of death was dealing with. It wasn't communicating the forensic idea of penalty you are speaking of (which wasn't a part of their thinking), but the idea of dying in a certain manner, indicative of being an outcast of the Covenant community.

The text is speaking of legal covenant regulations concerning capital offense. And obviously all Jews were aware that the capital punishment was a judicial punishment.

Quote:
T: Also I don't think is reflecting what really happened. Jesus' suffering was not the *result* of a penalty being arbitrarily enforced upon Him so that we could be let off. Instead, His suffering *was* the penalty; it was the result of sin.
R: Well, Ellen White describes it as a judicial punishment:
T: I think this statement ties into this:

I don’t know what you mean. Ellen White describes Christ’s death as a judicial punishment. She didn’t need at all to have used this expression if that wasn't what she meant. She also says the Father assumed toward Christ the character of a judge, which confirms what she said in the other quote.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #104150
11/02/08 09:06 PM
11/02/08 09:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
(Part 1)

Quote:
T:I think their clear intent was that the guy was born in sins, and they weren't. He was beneath them because he was born in sins, which was evidenced by the fact that he was blind. They took the fact that they weren't blind, and he was, as a sign that they were more favored by God than he. That they had not sinned their entire life didn't enter into this at all.

R:That they were referring to his life and their own lives not just in relation to birth, but to their whole existence up to that point, is evidenced by their reply to him: "You were completely born in sins, and are you teaching us?" Of course the implied thought is that they were righteous until that moment, and he a sinner until that moment - and that's why he was unworthy to teach them.

Here's EGW's comment:

Quote:
It was generally believed by the Jews that sin is punished in this life. Every affliction was regarded as the penalty of some wrongdoing, either of the sufferer himself or of his parents. It is true that all suffering results from the transgression of God's law, but this truth had become perverted. Satan, the author of sin and all its results, had led men to look upon disease and death as proceeding from God,--as punishment arbitrarily inflicted on account of sin. Hence one upon whom some great affliction or calamity had fallen had the additional burden of being regarded as a great sinner.(DA 471)

The Pharisees were suffering from this misconception. The (formerly) blind person said to them:

Quote:
"Why herein is a marvelous thing," said the man, "that ye know not from whence He is, and yet He hath opened mine eyes. Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshiper of God, and doeth His will, him He heareth. Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind. If this Man were not of God, He could do nothing."

to which the Pharisees responded:

Quote:
The man had met his inquisitors on their own ground. His reasoning was unanswerable. The Pharisees were astonished, and they held their peace,--spellbound before his pointed, determined words. For a few moments there was silence. Then the frowning priests and rabbis gathered about them their robes, as though they feared contamination from contact with him; they shook off the dust from their feet, and hurled denunciations against him,--"Thou wast altogether born in sins, and dost thou teach us?" And they excommunicated him. (DA 474)

They were angry, and so retorted that he was born in sins, so who was he to question them. On what basis did they assert he was born in sins? Because he was blind. The fact that he was born blind, and they were not, pointed to their superiority over them.

There's absolutely no idea that the Pharisees were claiming to never having sinned, or were thinking in these terms. They were simply arguing that the fellow was born in sins because he was born blind, so who was he to presume to teach them.

Quote:
Exactly that is the point. For the author, “righteous” does not mean “flawless,” but for some of the old rabbis, it did. The expression is ironic because the author doesn’t share their opinion, and he is criticizing the “hyperbolic praise,” the “examples of hyperbole extolling the virtues of biblical heroes,” the “extravagant praise for biblical heroes,” “the notion of the heroes’ flawlessness,” “the fawning approbation ... [of] biblical figures,” “their view of the blamelessness of the righteous.”

But righteous didn't mean "flawless." It meant "observant, obedient, morally upright, just."

Quote:
Both you and he completely overlook Paul’s argument that “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law,”

Did you read what Waggoner wrote? For your convenience, I'll repeat his argument. No, he did not overlook Paul's argument!!

Quote:
Note the sharp contrast in verses 9 and 10. "They which be of faith are blessed," but "as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse." Faith brings the blessing; works bring the curse, or, rather, leave one under the curse. The curse is on all, for "he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God." John 3:18. Faith removes the curse.

Who are under the curse?--"As many as are of the works of the law." Note that it does not say that those who do the law are under the curse, for that would be a contradiction of Rev.22:14: "Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city." "Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the Lord." Ps.119:1.

So, then, they that are of faith are keepers of the law; for they that are of faith are blessed, and those who do the commandments are blessed. By faith they do the commandments. The Gospel is contrary to human nature, and so it is that we become doers of the law, not by doing, but by believing. If we worked for righteousness, we should be exercising only our own sinful human nature, and so would get no nearer to righteousness, but farther from it; but by believing the "exceeding great and precious promises," we become partakers of the Divine nature (2Pet.1:4), and then all our works are wrought in God. "The Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith. But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness. Wherefore?--Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumbling-stone;-stone; as it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a Stumbling-stone and Rock of offense; and whosoever believeth on Him shall not be ashamed." Rom.9:30-33.

What the Curse Is.

No one can read Gal.3:10 carefully and thoughtfully without seeing that the curse is transgression of the law. Disobedience to God's law is itself the curse; for "by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin." Rom.5:12. Sin has death wrapped up in it. Without sin death would be impossible, for "the sting of death is sin." 1Cor.15:56. "As many as are of the works of the law are under the curse." Why? Is it because the law is a curse?--Not by any means. "The law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good." Rom.7:12. Why, then, are as many as are of the works of the law under the curse?--Because it is written, "Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them." Mark it well: They are not cursed because they do the law, but because they do not do it. So, then, we see that being of the works of the law does not mean that one is doing the law. No; "the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be." Rom.8:7. All are under the curse, and he who thinks to get out by his own works, remains there. The curse consists in not continuing in all things that are written in the law; therefore, the blessing means perfect conformity to the law. This is as plain as language can make it.

Blessing and Cursing.

"Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; a blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the Lord your God, which I command you this day; and a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the Lord your God." Deut.11:26-28. This is the living word of God, addressed to each one of us personally. "The law worketh wrath" (Rom.4:15), but the wrath of God comes only on the children of disobedience (Eph.5:6). If we truly believe, we are not condemned, but only because faith brings us into harmony with the law--the life of God. "Whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed." Jam.1:25.

(The Glad Tidings)

Waggoner's argument is that Christ redeems us from the curse of the law by making us obedient to it! How can you assert Waggoner overlooked Paul's argument? You could assert that you disagree with Waggoner's treatment of it, but it's evident he did not "overlook" it!

I presented Waggoner's argument, and you responded:

Quote:
R: Right, and since all are disobedient, for “all have sinned”, the curse is upon all. I agree with Waggoner that faith removes the curse. But why? Because the Substitute “redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us” (Gal 3:13).

This wasn't Waggoner's argument at all! You're not agreeing with Waggoner, but disagreeing with him.

Quote:
how? by “having become a curse for us” (Gal 3:13). So the curse is removed by faith in Christ’s substitutive sacrifice, and not by the believer’s obedience of faith. The believer’s obedience of faith is just a fruit, or result, of the faith in Christ’s substitutive sacrifice.

Christ's becoming a curse for us is what enables faith to function:

Quote:
Belief in the propitiation for sin enables fallen man to love God with his whole heart and his neighbor as himself. (COL 378)

Quote:
(M)an was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. (DA 762)

Regarding this statement:

Quote:
So the curse is removed by faith in Christ’s substitutive sacrifice, and not by the believer’s obedience of faith.

I agree! The faith is what removes the curse, because the faith is what results in the believer being obedient. It is not the obedience which removes the curse, but the faith, as you say.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #104152
11/02/08 09:25 PM
11/02/08 09:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
(Part 2)

Quote:
God’s offer of pardon to Lucifer occurred before he defied God’s will, before he cast off his allegiance to God and His law, and, therefore, before he was in the same situation which Adam and Eve found themselves after they transgressed.

Lucifer's situation was much worse than Adam and Eve's.

Quote:
Leaving his place in the immediate presence of God, Lucifer went forth to diffuse the spirit of discontent among the angels. Working with mysterious secrecy, and for a time concealing his real purpose under an appearance of reverence for God, he endeavored to excite dissatisfaction concerning the laws that governed heavenly beings, intimating that they imposed an unnecessary restraint. Since their natures were holy, he urged that the angels should obey the dictates of their own will. He sought to create sympathy for himself by representing that God had dealt unjustly with him in bestowing supreme honor upon Christ. He claimed that in aspiring to greater power and honor he was not aiming at self-exaltation, but was seeking to secure liberty for all the inhabitants of heaven, that by this means they might attain to a higher state of existence.

God in His great mercy bore long with Lucifer. He was not immediately degraded from his exalted station when he first indulged the spirit of discontent, nor even when he began to present his false claims before the loyal angels. Long was he retained in heaven. Again and again he was offered pardon on condition of repentance and submission. (GC 495, 496)

Lucifer indulged a spirit of discontent, worked with mysterious secrecy, hid his true intent under the guise of reverence to God, claimed not to be aiming at self-exaltation when in reality that's exactly what he was doing. He made false claims before the loyal angels. Adam and Eve didn't do any of these things! Yet, in spite of all these things, God *still* offered Lucifer pardon. *Long* was he retained in heaven. "Again and again" he was offered pardon!

Why was he offered pardon? Because of sin, of course!

Quote:
After man sinned, Satan said that God would not be just if He showed mercy to the sinner, because after his own rebellion he had been banished from heaven. So, if he couldn’t be forgiven, neither could man.

Who cares what Satan says? I'll comment on Satan's argument in more detail later, tomorrow.

Quote:
But, by dying in our behalf, Christ removed from God all charge of lessening the guilt of sin. Therefore, God (the Godhead) needed Christ’s death.

If the Godhead needed Christ's death to forgive, then how did the Godhead offer Lucifer pardon?

If we look at Christ's life and teachings, we find no evidence that death was necessary for forgiveness to be given. For example, Christ forgave the paralytic. This was evidence of His divinity. There's not even a hint that death was necessary in order for him to do so.

Christ taught us to forgive as we have been forgive, that we had been freely forgiven. If we are only forgiven because a debt has been paid, then we are not freely forgiven. Similarly, we need not, should not forgive (if we are to follow how God supposedly forgives) without insisting on our debt being repaid (which isn't forgiveness at all).

Quote:
David did not kill Uriah directly, but God considered him guilty of Uriah’s death because that was his intention. The same is true about Jews and Romans; God considered them guilty of Christ’s death, but you know and I know that Christ didn’t die because of the cross. So, the fact that the Jews were considered guilty of Christ’s death has nothing whatsoever to do with our salvation. Our sins killed Christ – this has to do with our salvation.

*Both* have to do with our salvation. The actions of the Jews and the Romans are *our* actions. It is only by luck of circumstances that we were not there. The books of heaven record the sins we would have committed had we had the opportunity. Peter's sermon in Acts was recorded for our benefit; it wasn't something only for the Jews.

Quote:
T: There were cultural connotations to the manner of one's death, which this manner of death was dealing with. It wasn't communicating the forensic idea of penalty you are speaking of (which wasn't a part of their thinking), but the idea of dying in a certain manner, indicative of being an outcast of the Covenant community.

R:The text is speaking of legal covenant regulations concerning capital offense. And obviously all Jews were aware that the capital punishment was a judicial punishment.

There whole concept of justice was different than that of a Westerner. We think of justice as retributive. They thought of it as restorative. (http://www.peaceworkmagazine.org/pwork/0499/049910.htm)

Quote:
I don’t know what you mean. Ellen White describes Christ’s death as a judicial punishment. She didn’t need at all to have used this expression if that wasn't what she meant. She also says the Father assumed toward Christ the character of a judge, which confirms what she said in the other quote.

I mean she wrote that God's love was no longer constrained, and then explained her meaning in clear language in her very next sentence:

Quote:
For all who receive Christ as their personal Saviour, there is opened an ample channel, in which human and divine instrumentalities can co-operate to communicate to the world the tide of God's love.

The constraint on God's love is removed when people accept Christ as their personal Savior. The cross was necessary in order for this to happen:

Quote:
How, then, are we to be saved? "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. (DA 175)

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #104174
11/03/08 08:57 PM
11/03/08 08:57 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
There's absolutely no idea that the Pharisees were claiming to never having sinned, or were thinking in these terms. They were simply arguing that the fellow was born in sins because he was born blind, so who was he to presume to teach them.

Blindness was not the only factor they were referring to. They considered themselves righteous and despised the common people, whether physically ill or not.

John 7:49 "But this crowd that does not know the law is accursed."

Luke 18:9 Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

You are not considering the essence of the pharisaic spirit. If a man considers that he is perfectly righteous at the present, what prevents him from thinking that he has been perfectly righteous during his whole life?

“The Pharisees felt that they had need of nothing to make them spiritually perfect. They were just in their own eyes, and felt no need of repentance” {ST, January 29, 1894 par. 2}

Quote:
R: Exactly that is the point. For the author, “righteous” does not mean “flawless,” but for some of the old rabbis, it did.
T: But righteous didn't mean "flawless." It meant "observant, obedient, morally upright, just."

For some of the old rabbis, it meant flawless, blameless. This is amply demonstrated in the article.
In fact, I only mentioned the Pharisees and the early rabbis because you had said no Jew had ever considered righteousness as perfect obedience during one’s whole life. This is not at all the case.
Of course the view of the Pharisees and early rabbis was a distorted view, and in fact the Bible does refer to God's children as righteous, meaning “observant, obedient, morally upright,” but that’s because, for Christ’s sake, God attributes perfection to those who are imperfect.

“Works will never save us; it is the merit of Christ that will avail in our behalf. Through faith in Him, Christ will make all our imperfect efforts acceptable to God.” {TMK 229.2}

“The nearer the Christian lives to God, the more he advances in divine illumination of mind. He has more distinct sense of his own littleness, discerns his defects of character, and sees his duty in the light in which God presents it. The more closely he draws to Jesus, the more he has a near and clear sense of his own defects which had before escaped his notice, and he sees the necessity of humbling himself under the mighty hand of God. If lifted up it will not be because he lifts and exalts himself, but because the Lord exalts him. Having his eye fixed upon the purity and perfection of Christ Jesus, and acknowledging and obeying God in all his ways, he is not blinded to his own failures and imperfections. When his deportment in the eyes of men is unblamable and irreprovable, God reads the intents and purposes of the heart.” {TDG 16.2}

Quote:
No, he [Waggoner] did not overlook Paul's argument!!

Didn’t he? Where is Gal. 3:13 mentioned in the whole passage you quoted?

Quote:
Waggoner's argument is that Christ redeems us from the curse of the law by making us obedient to it!

This is exactly why he is overlooking Paul’s argument, for Paul’s argument is, “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us” (Gal 3:13), not by making us obedient to it!

Quote:
R: I agree with Waggoner that faith removes the curse. But why? Because the Substitute “redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us” (Gal 3:13).
T: This wasn't Waggoner's argument at all! You're not agreeing with Waggoner, but disagreeing with him.

I said I agreed that faith removes the curse. I disagreed with the explanation he gives. Did you notice I begin the other sentence with “But”?

Quote:
R: God’s offer of pardon to Lucifer occurred before he defied God’s will, before he cast off his allegiance to God and His law, and, therefore, before he was in the same situation which Adam and Eve found themselves after they transgressed.
T: Lucifer's situation was much worse than Adam and Eve's.

Tom, two questions:
1) When did Lucifer fell from his allegiance to God/His law?
2) When did Adam and Eve fell from their allegiance to God/His law?

Quote:
Who cares what Satan says?

God does. If He didn’t care, He would have destroyed Satan and his angels at the beginning of the great controversy.

Quote:
If the Godhead needed Christ's death to forgive, then how did the Godhead offer Lucifer pardon?

The answer is in the reply to the two questions I asked you above.

Quote:
*Both* have to do with our salvation. The actions of the Jews and the Romans are *our* actions.

No, they aren’t. These are two different things. Jesus’ mother didn’t agree with His crucifixion, nor John, who was at the foot of the cross, nor the women who followed Jesus, nor Nicodemus, nor Joseph of Arimathea, nor many other people. They would never have crucified Christ.

Quote:
R: The text is speaking of legal covenant regulations concerning capital offense. And obviously all Jews were aware that the capital punishment was a judicial punishment.
T: There whole concept of justice was different than that of a Westerner. We think of justice as retributive. They thought of it as restorative.

Even if it was restorative, the fact remains that a capital punishment is a judicial punishment (the result of a judgment). However, a capital punishment could hardly be described as restorative. When Ellen White describes the punishment of the wicked, she refers to it as retributive justice.

Quote:
R: I don’t know what you mean. Ellen White describes Christ’s death as a judicial punishment. She didn’t need at all to have used this expression if that wasn't what she meant. She also says the Father assumed toward Christ the character of a judge, which confirms what she said in the other quote.
T: I mean she wrote that God's love was no longer constrained, and then explained her meaning in clear language in her very next sentence:

You are confusing the quotes. We are speaking here of judicial punishment, not of the quote you mention.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #104175
11/03/08 09:53 PM
11/03/08 09:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

Blindness was not the only factor they were referring to. They considered themselves righteous and despised the common people, whether physically ill or not.

John 7:49 "But this crowd that does not know the law is accursed."

Luke 18:9 Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

You are not considering the essence of the pharisaic spirit. If a man considers that he is perfectly righteous at the present, what prevents him from thinking that he has been perfectly righteous during his whole life?

“The Pharisees felt that they had need of nothing to make them spiritually perfect. They were just in their own eyes, and felt no need of repentance” {ST, January 29, 1894 par. 2}

None of this is addressing the issue we were discussing. What I said was that the Jews did not understand "righteous" as meaning "keeping the law perfectly one's whole life."

You presented their statement to the blind man as evidence that they had this in mind, so I presented evidence that this was not the case. Of course they trusted in themselves and were self-righteous, but this isn't the issue we were discussing. We were discussing what "righteous" would have meant to a 1st century Jew, or earlier. You have a view of "righteous" which is recent Western, not ancient Hebrew.

Quote:
For some of the old rabbis, it meant flawless, blameless. This is amply demonstrated in the article.
In fact, I only mentioned the Pharisees and the early rabbis because you had said no Jew had ever considered righteousness as perfect obedience during one’s whole life. This is not at all the case.

You are stating this is the case, but what's the evidence? I presented a whole host of definitions, and none of them suggested this. I haven't been able to find this definition or idea anywhere for ancient Judaism. If you can present some evidence of this, I'd be really interested in seeing it. I would like to see either a statement by a 1st century Jew, or earlier, stating that "righteous" means "keeping the law perfectly one's whole life" or by an authority of ancient Judaism explaining that they had this concept, because, to date, I haven't been able to encounter any evidence that they did.

Quote:
Of course the view of the Pharisees and early rabbis was a distorted view, and in fact the Bible does refer to God's children as righteous, meaning “observant, obedient, morally upright,” but that’s because, for Christ’s sake, God attributes perfection to those who are imperfect.

This isn't an idea that a 1st century Jew would have had. You're just restating what you believe. I've been asking for evidence of what a Jew would have believed.

Quote:
No, he [Waggoner] did not overlook Paul's argument!!

Didn’t he? Where is Gal. 3:13 mentioned in the whole passage you quoted?

What I quoted was in reference to Gal. 3:10. Indeed, it says, "No one can read Gal.3:10 carefully and thoughtfully without seeing that the curse is transgression of the law." so it's clear he was commenting on Gal. 3:10. He wrote a whole book on Galatians. Quoting the whole thing would have been a bit much. Saying that he "overlooked" Paul's argument seems a bit silly. Here's some more of what he wrote:

Quote:
"Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law,"--from sin and death. This He has done by "being made a curse for us," and so we are freed from all necessity of sinning. Sin can have no dominion over us if we accept Christ in truth, and without reserve. This was just as much a present truth in the days of Abraham, Moses, David, and Isaiah, as it is to-day. More than seven hundred years before the cross was raised on Calvary, Isaiah, who testified of the things which he understood, because his own sin had been purged by a live coal from God's altar, said: "Surely He hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows; . . . He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon Him; and with His stripes we are healed. . . . The Lord hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all." Is.53:4-6. "I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins; return unto Me; for I have redeemed thee." Is.44:22. Long before Isaiah's time, David wrote: "He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities." "As far as the east is from the west, so far hath He removed our transgressions from us." Ps.103:10,12.

"We which have believed do enter into rest," because "the works were finished from the foundation of the world." Heb.4:3. The blessing that we received is "the blessing of Abraham."

The reason I was quoting from Waggoner was in response to what you claimed Paul's argument was, which is a common idea. You said Paul's argument was basically:
1.The law requires perfect obedience
2.We don't have that to offer
3.Therefore Christ obeyed in our place, and died for us, and His obedience is accepted in our place.

I counted by saying that this was not Paul's argument, but it was what Waggoner presented, which is that those who are of the works of the law are condemned by the law because they do not keep it, because it can only be kept by faith. Those who are of faith are not condemned by the law, because they keep it by faith.

Quote:
Tom, two questions:
1) When did Lucifer fall from his allegiance to God/His law?
2) When did Adam and Eve fall from their allegiance to God/His law?

Lucifer fell when he made his final decision no to accept God's offer of pardon. Adam and Eve fell when they ate of the forbidden fruit.

More later.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #104187
11/04/08 04:15 PM
11/04/08 04:15 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Who cares what Satan says?

R:God does. If He didn’t care, He would have destroyed Satan and his angels at the beginning of the great controversy.

Regarding that God cares, in the terms you are speaking of here. However, I would prefer to use the following language:

Quote:
At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

If God didn't care, he would have left Satan to reap the full result of sin, which is death, the inevitable result of sin. God could not have allowed this to happen at first, because then it would have appeared to the watching angels that God was killing Satan, rather than allowing him to suffer the inevitable consequences of sin.

When I asked, "Who cares what Satan says?" I was pointing to the dangers of using Satan's words as a basis for one's theology. He lies. It is Satan, not God, that has the attitude of demanding that a debt be paid to the last penny. God has the attitude of freely forgiving. The two characters are contrasted here:

Quote:
23Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.

24And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.

25But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.

26The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.

27Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.

28But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.

29And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.

30And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt. (Matt. 18)

The king in this parable is manifesting the character of God, the servant is manifesting Satan's character.

Satan says God cannot pardon without death, but he knows this isn't true, because God freely offered he himself pardon. He seeks to twist the meaning of the sacrifice:

Quote:
While God has desired to teach men that from His own love comes the Gift which reconciles them to Himself, the archenemy of mankind has endeavored to represent God as one who delights in their destruction. Thus the sacrifices and the ordinances designed of Heaven to reveal divine love have been perverted to serve as means whereby sinners have vainly hoped to propitiate, with gifts and good works, the wrath of an offended God.(PK 685)

Quote:
What shall we say of the false idea of the atonement, held even by many in the popular Protestant churches of today, and expressed in a late confession of faith in these words, “Christ died to reconcile the Father unto us”? ... God, they think, was angry; he must pour forth his wrath upon some one. If upon man, it would eternally damn him, as he deserved; but this would interfere with God’s plan and purpose in creating the worlds, so this must not be. And yet God must not be cheated of his vengeance; for this reason he pours it forth upon Christ, that man may go free. So when Christ died, he was slain really by the wrath and anger of the Father.

This is paganism. The true idea of the atonement makes God and Christ equal in their love, and one in their purpose of saving humanity. “God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself.” The life of Christ was not the price paid to the Father for our pardon; but that life was the price which the Father paid to so manifest his loving power as to bring us to that repentant attitude of mind where he could pardon us freely. The contrast between the true and the false ideas is tersely stated by the prophet in these words: “Surely he hath borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.” Thus Satan has transformed the truth of God’s love into a lie, and even infused this lie into the very doctrine of the atonement of Christ.
These are but illustrations of the nature and tendency of all false systems. They are the devil’s designs to thwart the power and purpose of the divine love. (Fifield; God is Love)

Quote:
A propitiation is a sacrifice. The statement then is simply that Christ is set forth to be a sacrifice for the remission of our sins. "Once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself." Heb. 9:26. Of course the idea of a propitiation or sacrifice is that there is wrath to be appeased. But take particular notice that it is we who require the sacrifice, and not God. He provides the sacrifice. The idea that God's wrath has to be propitiated in order that we may have forgiveness finds no warrant in the Bible.

It is the height of absurdity to say that God is so angry ... that he will not forgive (men) unless something is provided to appease his wrath, and that therefore he himself offers the gift to himself, by which he is appeased.

Rather than seeing the sacrifice of Christ as something God freely gives to us because of our great need, it is presented instead as something God Himself needs in order to be able to forgive us.

Quote:
(M)an was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. (DA 762)

How was man deceived?

Quote:
Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God, attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. He led them to doubt the word of God, and to distrust His goodness. Because God is a God of justice and terrible majesty, Satan caused them to look upon Him as severe and unforgiving. (DA 21)

But God isn't severe and unforgiving. Satan knows this is false because God, even after Satan had misrepresented God's character for the purpose of gaining control of heavenly beings, *still* freely offered him pardon.

Christ came to reveal that truth about God. The whole purpose of His mission was the revelation of God to set men right with Him. Christ did a marvelous job in so doing, so much that He could say, "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father!" But so successful has Satan been with his deceptions that man naturally views God the Father very differently than Christ.

It is because it was Christ's purpose to reveal the Father, that I ask where Christ taught the idea that the Father cannot forgive us apart from Christ. This isn't the idea Christ presented! Over and over again we see Christ freely forgiving, freely healing, freely giving of Himself. This is the way God is. He gives of Himself freely, He forgives freely. The only conditions He sets are conditions that *we* need. If we confuse our requirements with His, our perception of His character is impacted. God becomes different than Christ.

Quote:
T:The actions of the Jews and the Romans are *our* actions.

R:No, they aren’t.

Oh yes they are! There's a story that goes like this. A man was having a dream, seeing Christ about to be crucified, His hands being held down, and a man about to pound nails into His hands. The one dreaming cried out, "Stop! Stop!" Upon hearing this, the man about to hammer the nails turned around. The one dreaming saw himself!

The books of heaven record the sins we would have committed had we had the opportunity. But for the grace of God, we would have acted just as the Jews and Romans did. We are no better than they.

What the Romans and Jews did speak to the natural hatred of man against God. The Gospels record these actions for a reason. When Peter preached in Acts 2, that was for our benefit as well. It was just something for the Jews.

There is much to learn from Christ's death.

Quote:
Even if it was restorative, the fact remains that a capital punishment is a judicial punishment (the result of a judgment). However, a capital punishment could hardly be described as restorative.

This (restorative) is how the Jews thought of it. The capital punishment was a restorative action, to bring the Covenant community back into a state of shalom.

Quote:
You are confusing the quotes. We are speaking here of judicial punishment, not of the quote you mention.

Here is the quote I was referencing:

Quote:
The Saviour's humanity elevates all humanity in the scale of moral value with God. It brings God and man very nigh together. "As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God." By giving his life to save fallen men, Christ gives all heaven to those that believe on him. By dying in our behalf, he gave an equivalent for our debt. Thus he removed from God all charge of lessening the guilt of sin. By virtue of my oneness with the Father, he says, my suffering and death enable me to pay the penalty of sin. By my death a restraint is removed from his love. His grace can act with unbounded efficiency.For all who receive Christ as their personal Saviour, there is opened an ample channel, in which human and divine instrumentalities can co-operate to communicate to the world the tide of God's love. All glory is of God and belongs to God. Yet in Christ also there is all power. In him divine power is combined with humanity. Faith in Christ holds the reins of eternal obligation. It settles upon the soul with a love that is the unfolding of divine mercy, and wins us back to God. "By grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God." Salvation through Christ is an infinite gift. There is no possibility of our receiving it by any merit of our own. (The Youth's Instructor , December 16, 1897)

You presented this quote, especially this part "By my death a restraint is removed from his love. His grace can act with unbounded efficiency."

You presented other quotes too. I said I thought those other quotes tied into this one:

Quote:
Man was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. (DA 762)

The YI quote ties both ideas together. I'm saying that the judicial language that Ellen White uses is equivalent to the non-judicial language. That is, they are presenting the same ideas, using different language. So when she says "By my death a restraint is removed from his love." her meaning is explained in the next sentences: "His grace can act with unbounded efficiency. For all who receive Christ as their personal Saviour, there is opened an ample channel, in which human and divine instrumentalities can co-operate to communicate to the world the tide of God's love."

The judicial idea you have in mind falls apart when applied to Lucifer's case. The framework I'm presenting works perfectly. Lucifer was rebelling, and God offered him pardon if he would repent. God did the same thing for man. Because man was deceived, it was necessary that Christ come and reveal the truth. That revelation involved His death. Christ's work made it possible for man to repent. This work wasn't necessary for Lucifer, so Christ didn't have to die in order for God to offer him pardon. If *God* had required Christ to die in order for Him to be able to extend offers of pardon, then God would have required the same thing to pardon Lucifer.

I know you understand the argument here, and you've tried to deal with it by suggesting that Lucifer's actions were not as bad as Adam's, but that seems to me to be extremely obviously false. It seems to me you are constrained to do so in order to hold to your theological position. I don't think any neutral person, say not an SDA, could read through Ellen White's descriptions of what Lucifer did and come to the conclusion you have. Again, I don't think the text allows for this at all, but you are constrained to interpret things as you have because that's the only way you can continue to hold to the position that God requires death in order to pardon.

However, our differences are deeper than that, I believe. I think they have to do with how we conceive of God's character, and the underlying issues of the controversy. You perceive things (from my point of view) in terms of authority, that God's authority has been challenged, and God must maintain that authority, but must do so in a way that will work. Also you perceive that there are issues involved which are because of the law.

I see the issues as related to God's character being misrepresented, and the truth about that needing to be made known. I see the sanctuary service, and the law issues, as just being another way to communicate this same truth.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #104188
11/04/08 04:19 PM
11/04/08 04:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
Rosangela, did any of the points I brought up make sense to you?

Mike, before I reply, I would like to know if when you are abiding in Jesus you consider that your obedience is perfect. For instance, do you consider that you love God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength, and that you love your neighbor as yourself?

Here's the history of the points I brought up:

Quote:
Quote:
T: Where is a single statement where Scripture or Ellen White says that a born again Christ exercising faith in Christ is not really righteous? I didn't see you answer this.

R: But I did answer it. Do you remember I quoted 1 John 1:8? (see below). “What do you do with John who says, "He who does righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous?" How can this be reconciled with the idea that we are not really righteous? What didn't John write something like "He who does righteousness is called righteous (but not really righteous) even as He is righteous"?

And, as I had asked in a previous post, what do you do with the same John who says, “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us” (1 John 1:8)?

If I may address this point. First, John isn’t saying in 1 John 1:8 that people will continue to sin until Jesus returns and rewards them with a sinless body and nature. Since this isn’t what he’s saying, what is he saying? The context makes it clear he’s talking about past sins, that is, “all have sinned”, therefore, anyone who says otherwise is a liar and the truth is not in them.

Secondly, 1 John 3:7 is true while believers are abiding in Jesus. That they might sin in the near future is immaterial. Whether they ever sin again or not has no bearing on the truthfulness of what John wrote, which is, believers do not and cannot sin while abiding in Jesus.

John isn’t referring to anyone and everyone. He’s referring to seasoned saints, to people who “have received the knowledge of the truth,” who are “enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, and have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come”. Hebrews 10:26 and 6:4,5. People like Paul, Peter, James, etc, people who are thoroughly indoctrinated in the truth as it is in Jesus.

People like this experience real righteousness while they are abiding in Jesus, while they are walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, while they are partaking of the divine nature. It’s real righteousness, not imputed, or a combination of imputed and imparted righteousness.

People who have not been thoroughly indoctrinated like the people mentioned above, who are not obeying and observing everything Jesus commanded because they are unaware of certain aspects of the truth, are experiencing a combination of real righteousness and imputed righteousness to make up for their sins of ignorance. But John didn’t describe these people in 1 John.

Quote:
T: I don't understand how you can get from John's statement the idea "One who does righteousness is not really righteous, but merely called righteous."

R: In fact, I don’t get this from John’s statement, but from my observation of Christians, including those of Bible times. I don't see them as without sin, deficiencies, imperfections. . . I would like to know what you think about this: What happens when a Christian sins? Does he cease to be righteous? Yes or No? Why?

Again, if I may add my two cents worth. Jesus is the standard of Christianity – not fallen or faulty sinners. John describes Christians who are abiding in Jesus. While they are abiding in Jesus, walking in the Spirit, they are righteous like Jesus and for the same reasons Jesus was righteous.

When people neglect to abide in Jesus they cease to be righteous like Jesus, but the moment they repent God restores the relationship their sin severed. They resume being righteous like Jesus. They are only able to be righteous while abiding in Jesus. That’s what John is saying. He is not saying they will never sin again or that they have never sinned in the past.

SC 61
We do not earn salvation by our obedience; for salvation is the free gift of God, to be received by faith. But obedience is the fruit of faith. "Ye know that He was manifested to take away our sins; and in Him is no sin. Whosoever abideth in Him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen Him, neither known Him." 1 John 3:5, 6. Here is the true test. If we abide in Christ, if the love of God dwells in us, our feelings, our thoughts, our purposes, our actions, will be in harmony with the will of God as expressed in the precepts of His holy law. "Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous." 1 John 3:7. Righteousness is defined by the standard of God's holy law, as expressed in the ten precepts given on Sinai. {SC 61.1}

A mere profession of godliness is worthless. It is he that abideth in Christ that is a Christian. For "every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure." In every clime, in every nation, our youth should cooperate with God. The only way a person can be pure is to become like-minded with God. How can we know God?--By studying His Word. . . . {SD 297.2}

It is through faith in Jesus Christ that the truth is accepted in the heart and the human agent is purified and cleansed. Jesus was "wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed." Is it possible to be healed, while knowingly committing sin?--No; it is genuine faith that says, I know that I have committed sin, but that Jesus has pardoned my sin; and hereafter I will resist temptation in and through His might. "Every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure." He has an abiding principle in the soul, that enables him to overcome temptation. {SD 297.3}

"Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not." God has power to keep the soul who is in Christ, when that soul is under temptation. "Whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him." That is, every one who is a true believer is sanctified through the truth, in life and character. "Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth {not professeth to do} righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous." "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; . . . because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil." Now mark where the distinction is made: "Whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither is he that loveth not his brother." "My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue, but in deed and in truth." {SD 297.4}

So, yes, I believe the born again people described in the Bible, people who are abiding in Jesus, do not sin. Their obedience is perfect. Like Jesus, they grow in grace and mature in the fruits of the Spirit as they progress from childhood to manhood, from babes in Christ to seasoned saints. I also believe this growth and maturation, this progression will continue throughout eternity.

While abiding in Jesus, while walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, while partaking of the divine nature - love to God and man grows every day. It becomes more and more perfect. The difference between stages of perfection has nothing to do with sin and everything to do with righteousness. In the same way Jesus began perfect and became perfect, so too, born again believers who are vitally connected to Christ begin perfect and become perfect. "Perfecting holiness in the fear of God." (2 Cor 7:1)

PS - Of course, this isn't to say they lose the ability or freedom to sin. They are always free to stop abiding in Jesus and resume sinning. But while abiding in Jesus they do not and cannot sin.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #104207
11/04/08 11:12 PM
11/04/08 11:12 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
None of this is addressing the issue we were discussing. What I said was that the Jews did not understand "righteous" as meaning "keeping the law perfectly one's whole life."
You presented their statement to the blind man as evidence that they had this in mind, so I presented evidence that this was not the case. Of course they trusted in themselves and were self-righteous, but this isn't the issue we were discussing. We were discussing what "righteous" would have meant to a 1st century Jew, or earlier. You have a view of "righteous" which is recent Western, not ancient Hebrew.

So you think that the self-righteous Pharisees thought that they were perfect at present but that their past had flaws? I don’t think this is realistic at all but, anyway, you have the right to believe it.
As to the early rabbis, I don’t think you have how to contradict what the article shows clearly, that is, that many of them thought that the biblical heroes had never sinned.
Besides, Paul, a first-century Jew, presents a simple argument, perfectly understandable both then and now: anyone who transgresses the law is under a curse. Obviously the curse must be borne in order to be removed. That’s why we had to be redeemed from the curse of the law, which Christ did by becoming a curse for us.
And last but not least, either what Ellen White says agrees with the Bible or it doesn’t, and if the latter is the case, then she can by no means be called a genuine prophet.

Quote:
Saying that he "overlooked" Paul's argument seems a bit silly.

I probably didn’t express myself adequately. What I meant to say was that Waggoner failed to pay attention to what Paul is really saying. Waggoner’s argument is that Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by making us obedient, something which Paul never said.

Quote:
I counted by saying that this was not Paul's argument, but it was what Waggoner presented, which is that those who are of the works of the law are condemned by the law because they do not keep it, because it can only be kept by faith. Those who are of faith are not condemned by the law, because they keep it by faith.

This is not the only problem involved. What you are saying is that the curse simply vanishes when one becomes obedient, that there is no problem in relation to past transgressions. This is not what the Bible says and this is not what Ellen White says.

Quote:
Lucifer fell when he made his final decision no to accept God's offer of pardon. Adam and Eve fell when they ate of the forbidden fruit.

Which means that Lucifer was in the same situation of Adam and Eve only after his final decision.

Quote:
When I asked, "Who cares what Satan says?" I was pointing to the dangers of using Satan's words as a basis for one's theology. He lies. It is Satan, not God, that has the attitude of demanding that a debt be paid to the last penny. God has the attitude of freely forgiving.

In the great controversy, God has to do everything in such a way as to demonstrate that none of Satan’s accusations are true. Satan had said that, since he himself hadn’t been pardoned after defying God’s will, if God pardoned Adam and Eve, He would demonstrate that 1) He had double standards, and 2) the violation of His law was not so grave a thing as it had been made to appear at the beginning. That’s why Ellen White says that, by dying in the sinner’s place, Christ removed from God all charge of lessening the guilt of sin.

Quote:
It is the height of absurdity to say that God is so angry ... that he will not forgive (men) unless something is provided to appease his wrath, and that therefore he himself offers the gift to himself, by which he is appeased.

Rather than seeing the sacrifice of Christ as something God freely gives to us because of our great need, it is presented instead as something God Himself needs in order to be able to forgive us.

God is not angry - God hates sin. And yes, God needed the atonement in order to forgive us, for the reasons explained above.

Quote:
T: The actions of the Jews and the Romans are *our* actions.
R: No, they aren’t.
T: Oh yes they are!

We simply differ here. To me there is a difference between the cross as a physical instrument of death and the cross in its spiritual significance. We crucified Christ by our sins. Those who, besides crucifying Him by their sins, also crucified Him physically, will even be raised at a special resurrection.

Quote:
This (restorative) is how the Jews thought of it. The capital punishment was a restorative action, to bring the Covenant community back into a state of shalom.

Sure, it was restorative to others, but not to the person who was being the object of punishment. In the same way, the destruction of the wicked will be restorative to the universe, but it will be retributive to them, who are incorrigible offenders.

Quote:
The judicial idea you have in mind falls apart when applied to Lucifer's case. The framework I'm presenting works perfectly. Lucifer was rebelling, and God offered him pardon if he would repent. God did the same thing for man.

Works perfectly? I beg to differ. When God offered pardon to Lucifer, he wasn’t subjected to death, he would have been restated to his position, and everything would have been just fine. In Adam and Eve’s case, however, even though they were offered pardon, they were subjected to death, were expelled from the garden, and the human race has had to struggle with suffering, disease, death and misery for 6,000 years. You may think this is perfectly fair. I don’t. This isn’t fair either here or in China, as we would say in Brazil. No matter what you say, such a God as your view presents is not at all a fair God. So, saying that the sin for which Lucifer was offered pardon was greater than the sin of Adam and Eve is something that will never make the least sense to me.

"The young man answered without hesitation, 'All these things have I kept from my youth up; what lack I yet?' His conception of the law was external and superficial. Judged by a human standard, he had preserved an unblemished character. To a great degree his outward life had been free from guilt; he verily thought that his obedience had been without a flaw. Yet he had a secret fear that all was not right between his soul and God. This prompted the question, 'What lack I yet?'" {COL 391.4}

Last edited by Rosangela; 11/04/08 11:40 PM. Reason: add passage
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Mountain Man] #104208
11/04/08 11:21 PM
11/04/08 11:21 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
So, yes, I believe the born again people described in the Bible, people who are abiding in Jesus, do not sin. Their obedience is perfect.

But what then do you make of passages such as these, for instance, which I quoted to Tom in my post #104174?

“Works will never save us; it is the merit of Christ that will avail in our behalf. Through faith in Him, Christ will make all our imperfect efforts acceptable to God.” {TMK 229.2}

“The nearer the Christian lives to God, the more he advances in divine illumination of mind. He has more distinct sense of his own littleness, discerns his defects of character, and sees his duty in the light in which God presents it. The more closely he draws to Jesus, the more he has a near and clear sense of his own defects which had before escaped his notice, and he sees the necessity of humbling himself under the mighty hand of God. If lifted up it will not be because he lifts and exalts himself, but because the Lord exalts him. Having his eye fixed upon the purity and perfection of Christ Jesus, and acknowledging and obeying God in all his ways, he is not blinded to his own failures and imperfections. When his deportment in the eyes of men is unblamable and irreprovable, God reads the intents and purposes of the heart.” {TDG 16.2}

Page 11 of 22 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 21 22

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/28/24 02:30 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!