HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, Kevin H), 3,310 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: sodom and gomorrah [Re: Mountain Man] #123544
02/23/10 12:50 AM
02/23/10 12:50 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: StewartC
I cannot see a reference to the thought in Ezekiel, but to me it is a relevant Scripture too.

Eze 16:48-49 "As I live, saith the Lord GOD, Sodom thy sister has not done, she nor her daughters, as thou [Jerusalem] hast done, thou and thy daughters. Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy."

Interesting that it doesn't list homosexuality along with the other sins. Like Elle said, the sins listed above are very prevalent nowadays. Pretty sad, eh!

Mike, yes those sins are prevalent today. It is also becoming very prevalent to see the sins of homosexuality today. Even visiting such a popular and "neutral" site such as Yahoo Answers one can see a thriving LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered) community, and they all seem to be encouraging each other in their wickedness in a "group think" sort of way. Their reasoning seems to be that if others are this way, it is "normal," and if it is normal, then it cannot be wrong.

But, Mrs. White speaks specifically of that statement in Ezekiel that those sins were the causes of the greater sins for which Sodom was destroyed. We know that "idleness is the devil's workshop." Sodom was a good example of this.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Instead of the crowded city seek some retired situation where your children will be, so far as possible, shielded from temptation, and there train and educate them for usefulness. The prophet Ezekiel thus enumerates the causes that led to Sodom's sin and destruction: "Pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy." All who would escape the doom of Sodom must shun the course that brought God's judgments upon that wicked city. {AH 138.3}

These sins, in other words, are not the ones for which they were destroyed, but rather the ones which goaded them into more heinous sins, sins so perverse they are not mentioned. Throughout the Bible and Mrs. White's writings as well, the authors seem to use "sin of Sodom" or similar in place of the unmentionable.

Mrs. White never used the words "homosexual" or "lesbian" in any of their forms. (NOTE: The compilers/editors added the word "homosexual" to the editorial notes twice, but these appeared in 1977 and in 1989 and are not Mrs. White's words.) Neither are these words ever found in the Bible. They are unmentionables, and remain nameless. The "sin of Sodom" is as near the Bible authors come to speaking of it, and yet the story of what the men wished to do unto the angels is so sharply clear as to leave no doubt.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: sodom and gomorrah [Re: Green Cochoa] #123547
02/23/10 03:29 PM
02/23/10 03:29 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Quote:
The prophet Ezekiel thus enumerates the causes that led to Sodom's sin and destruction: "Pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy." All who would escape the doom of Sodom must shun the course that brought God's judgments upon that wicked city. {AH 138.3}

These sins, in other words, are not the ones for which they were destroyed, but rather the ones which goaded them into more heinous sins, sins so perverse they are not mentioned.

The following passage confirms this:

We are not ignorant of the fall of Sodom because of the corruption of its inhabitants. The prophet has here [Eze. 16:49] specified the particular evils which led to dissolute morals. We see the very sins now existing in the world which were in Sodom and which brought upon her the wrath of God, even to her utter destruction.-- 4BC 1161. {TSB 120.2}

Re: sodom and gomorrah [Re: Rosangela] #123551
02/23/10 04:24 PM
02/23/10 04:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Good point. Paul made it in his epistle to the Romans:

1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath showed [it] unto them.
1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet.
1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Homosexuality began to happen after God gave up on them. Interesting! What does that tell us about the USA? Has God given up on her? Is she on the verge of destruction?

Re: sodom and gomorrah [Re: Mountain Man] #123573
02/24/10 12:41 AM
02/24/10 12:41 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Mike,

Do you think it might read instead that God gave them up when they started such unnatural acts? I think the term "gave them up" refers to the fact that the Holy Spirit no longer troubled their consciences about it. They were so set in their ways as to have shut out the voice of God. Perhaps God still spoke, but they were deaf. Would you agree?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: sodom and gomorrah [Re: Green Cochoa] #123591
02/24/10 04:11 PM
02/24/10 04:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Actually, I thought you and Rosangela were making the point that they began to commit such sins after God gave them over to sin. Paul wrote, "And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient." But I guess it's possible He gave up on them because of those sins, that is, those sins were the final straw. They were deaf to the pleading voice of God. There was no more He could do to woo and win them. Sadly He gave up on them.

Re: sodom and gomorrah [Re: Mountain Man] #123592
02/24/10 04:14 PM
02/24/10 04:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - Is there no further depths sinners can go when God gives up on them? Or, is homosexuality a deeper depth of darkness sinners go into when God gives up on them? I doubt it. But what do you think?

Re: sodom and gomorrah [Re: Mountain Man] #123618
02/25/10 01:24 AM
02/25/10 01:24 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
PS - Is there no further depths sinners can go when God gives up on them? Or, is homosexuality a deeper depth of darkness sinners go into when God gives up on them? I doubt it. But what do you think?
When did God "give up on" Lucifer? As far as I can tell, Satan is still becoming more and more decided in his attacks against God. He is still, after 6000 years, becoming more evil. Homosexuality is not the lowest one can go. In fact, it may be near the lowest in terms of sexuality, but there are many other aspects/categories of life. If one goes to the "lowest" point in each of them...then I suppose you've really hit a low. But what is the "lowest"?

If I came across a mad man, insane with iniquity, would I have anything to do with him? Of course not. But if I came across a perfect gentleman who treated all with courtesy and respect, but who drank, embezzled, cheated customers, broke the Sabbath, etc. and taught others that for success in business they should do as he did, which would be worse?

I think Sodom would have spread its iniquity throughout the earth in a "civilized" sort of way, which is actually worse than if they had been insane. This is why God destroyed them--to save the rest of the world from their filth.

It is "worse" to be lukewarm, than to be cold--for one reason: influence.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: sodom and gomorrah [Re: Green Cochoa] #123628
02/25/10 04:05 PM
02/25/10 04:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Well worded, GC. Thank you. Indeed, it is worse to be 99% Christlike. Makes me wonder about those who believe the fruits of the Spirit believers experience while abiding in Jesus is stained with sin. Do they also think such believers are 100% Christlike?

Also, I agree homosexuality is not the lowest sinners can go. As you said, claiming to be Christlike and yet committing subtle sins is more like Satan than like Jesus. It is more likely to make others despise Jesus and resist the convicting voice of the Holy Spirit.

Re: sodom and gomorrah [Re: Mountain Man] #123637
02/26/10 03:24 AM
02/26/10 03:24 AM
S
StewartC  Offline
Active Member 2011
Posting New Member
Arizona , USA

This brings to mind two thoughts for me, Mountain Man.

Jerusalem is described as having Samaria [as a sister] on her left hand, and Sodom [as a sister] on her right hand. "Yet have you NOT walked after their ways, nor done after their abominations: but, as if that were a very little thing, you were corrupted MORE than they in all their ways." (Eze 16:47)

In this I read that the professed people of God definitely went a lot deeper into sin than the cities of the plain did.

Scripture does appear to teach that there are different depths/levels of "hell". "For great is Thy mercy toward me: and Thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell." (Ps 86:13)

Would the "lowest hell" not point to that condition from which the second resurrection eventually comes?

Re: sodom and gomorrah [Re: StewartC] #123650
02/26/10 04:56 PM
02/26/10 04:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Stewart, in what sense do you think the COI sank lower in sin than did S&G?

The "lowest hell" to which King David (or Jesus) sank is certainly a place from which God can deliver. And, yes, many will not be delivered in time to avoid the second resurrection. But I suspect the majority of the lost will not reach the "lowest hell".

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!