HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 26 of 32 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 31 32
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Colin] #104537
11/11/08 05:42 PM
11/11/08 05:42 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Have you heard Wieland's ideas on this? He speaks of how we have unknown selfish motivations, and how the cross lays bares these motivations. He also speaks of the Old Covenant principle, of obedience motivated by hope of reward or fear of punishment. Do you agree with his ideas? How he speaks of this makes sense to me.

Waggoner and Jones allude to similar ideas, but not as specifically.

Waggoner's message certainly included victory over sin. For example:

Quote:
Stop and think what this means; let the full force of the announcement impress itself upon your consciousness. "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law,"--from not continuing in all its righteous requirements. We need not sin any more. He has snapped asunder the cords of sin that bound us, so that we have but to accept His salvation in order to be free from every besetting sin. It is not necessary for us any longer to spend our lives in earnest longings for a better life, and in vain regrets for desires unrealized. Christ raises no false hopes, but He comes to the captives of sin, and cries to them, "Liberty! Your prison doors are open. Go forth." What more can be said? Christ has gained the complete victory over "this present evil world," over "the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life," and our faith in Him makes His victory ours. We have but to accept it. (The Glad Tidings)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #104621
11/14/08 05:35 PM
11/14/08 05:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T: MM do you think a born again person is perfect? (i.e. has no sin, does not sin) I don't mean knowing doing something contrary to he knows is right, but unknown sin. That is, if a person is properly indoctrinated, do you believe such a person, being born again, will have no sin?

MM: Here's how Peter described babes in Christ: "Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings, as newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: if so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious." (1 Peter 2:1-3)

"Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; that he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God." (1 Peter 4:1, 2)

"And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; and to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; and to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins." (2 Peter 1:5-9)

Here's a list of sins Paul says newborn believers do not commit while walking in the Spirit: "Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." (Gal 5:19-21)

I believe these descriptions describe believers who have been properly indoctrinated in the way of righteousness and true holiness. There is nothing they are ignorant of, no sin which they might practice ignorantly. They are without spot or blame in the sight of God. But, of course, this is only true of them while they are abiding in Jesus. "Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not." (1 John 3:6)

Does this answer your question?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #104622
11/14/08 05:37 PM
11/14/08 05:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Colin, you agree with MM's ideas on this? That is, it is impossible for a properly indoctrinated SDA to commit a sin of ignorance, if abiding in Jesus? MM distinguishes between properly indoctrinated SDA's and others. So a non-SDA, or an improperly indoctrinated SDA could sin ignorantly. Do you agree with this? He also believes that no person anywhere can commit a sin of ignorance which involves any of the last 6 commandments, whether born again or not. Do you agree with this?

Tom, do you think people like Paul and John were guilty of sinning ignorantly after they experience the miracle of rebirth? What about the 144,000?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #104630
11/14/08 11:16 PM
11/14/08 11:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Peter committed the same basic sin as he did earlier when Paul rebuked him.

I don't think the 144,000 will be ignorantly sinning.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #104631
11/14/08 11:19 PM
11/14/08 11:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #104621, no, that doesn't answer my question. You can answer this "yes" or "no." I'll ask it this way: Do you think a properly indoctrinated SDA can commit any sin (including unknown sins) while abiding in Jesus?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #104657
11/15/08 03:14 PM
11/15/08 03:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

Was Peter abiding in Jesus when he sinned against the Gentiles?

Has anyone this side of the 144,000 ever lived without sinning ignorantly? Besides Jesus, of course.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #104658
11/15/08 03:30 PM
11/15/08 03:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Do you think a properly indoctrinated SDA can commit any sin (including unknown sins) while abiding in Jesus?

The point is there is no such thing as unknown sins in cases involving properly, thoroughly indoctrinated SDAs. They cannot, while abiding in Jesus, commit a sin ignorantly because there is no sin they are not aware of. They are, in this sense, like the 144,000.

Yes, they are full of defects and imperfections, but possessing them is not the same thing as cherishing them in thought or acting them out in word or deed. In the same way Jesus inherited and possessed fallen traits and tendencies, so too they possess them. Like Jesus, they rein them in and keep them under the control of a sanctified will and mind.

I'm not saying they will never make a innocent mistake. For example, they might, when asked, accidentally pass the salt instead of the pepper. Such mistakes are laughable. They in no way constitute a sin.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #104665
11/15/08 11:37 PM
11/15/08 11:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Do you think a properly indoctrinated SDA can commit any sin (including unknown sins) while abiding in Jesus?

The point is there is no such thing as unknown sins in cases involving properly, thoroughly indoctrinated SDAs. They cannot, while abiding in Jesus, commit a sin ignorantly because there is no sin they are not aware of. They are, in this sense, like the 144,000.

I disagree. I think we, even you, commit sins all the time of which we, and you, are not aware.

Quote:
Yes, they are full of defects and imperfections, but possessing them is not the same thing as cherishing them in thought or acting them out in word or deed.

These defects and imperfection must not involve sin, right?

Quote:
In the same way Jesus inherited and possessed fallen traits and tendencies, so too they possess them.

Are you saying that Jesus had defects and imperfections?

Quote:
Like Jesus, they rein them in and keep them under the control of a sanctified will and mind.

This refers to temptations, not sins. Temptations are not defects or imperfections.

Quote:
I'm not saying they will never make a innocent mistake. For example, they might, when asked, accidentally pass the salt instead of the pepper. Such mistakes are laughable. They in no way constitute a sin.

I guess you don't think it's possible that a person could do or desire something with a wrong motivation without knowing it? For example, desire that Christ come to take us away in clouds of glory so our time in this sinful world could be cut short.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #104691
11/16/08 08:32 PM
11/16/08 08:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: Do you think a properly indoctrinated SDA can commit any sin (including unknown sins) while abiding in Jesus?

M: The point is there is no such thing as unknown sins in cases involving properly, thoroughly indoctrinated SDAs. They cannot, while abiding in Jesus, commit a sin ignorantly because there is no sin they are not aware of. They are, in this sense, like the 144,000.

T: I disagree. I think we, even you, commit sins all the time of which we, and you, are not aware.

Does this apply to the numbered and sealed saints, the 144,000? If not, why not? And, why doesn't the same thing (whatever your answer is to the previous question) apply to properly, thoroughly indoctrinated SDAs now?

Quote:
M: Yes, they are full of defects and imperfections, but possessing them is not the same thing as cherishing them in thought or acting them out in word or deed.

T: These defects and imperfection must not involve sin, right?

Right. Just because properly, thoroughly indoctrinated SDAs, who are abiding in Jesus, possess defects, weaknesses, and imperfections which predispose them to sinning, it does not mean they are sinning.

Quote:
M: In the same way Jesus inherited and possessed fallen traits and tendencies, so too they possess them.

T: Are you saying that Jesus had defects and imperfections?

He was born with the same sinful flesh nature every child of Adam is born with. His human nature came burdened with inherited traits and tendencies which tempted Him from within to indulge the sins common to mankind.

Quote:
M: Like Jesus, they rein them in and keep them under the control of a sanctified will and mind.

T: This refers to temptations, not sins. Temptations are not defects or imperfections.

His sinful, defective, imperfect human nature tempted Him from within to indulge sin. It is not a sin to be tempted from within in this manner or for those reasons.

Quote:
M: I'm not saying they will never make a innocent mistake. For example, they might, when asked, accidentally pass the salt instead of the pepper. Such mistakes are laughable. They in no way constitute a sin.

T: I guess you don't think it's possible that a person could do or desire something with a wrong motivation without knowing it? For example, desire that Christ come to take us away in clouds of glory so our time in this sinful world could be cut short.

I see no sin in your example. Ellen often felt that way:

After beholding the glory of the temple, we went out, and Jesus left us and went to the city. Soon we heard His lovely voice again, saying: "Come, My people, you have come out of great tribulation, and done My will, suffered for Me, come in to supper; for I will gird Myself and serve you." We shouted, "Alleluia, glory," and entered the city. Here I saw a table of pure silver; it was many miles in length, yet our eyes could extend over it. I saw the fruit of the tree of life, the manna, almonds, figs, pomegranates, grapes, and many other kinds of fruit. I asked Jesus to let me eat of the fruit. He said: "Not now. Those who eat of the fruit of this land, go back to earth no more. But in a little while, if faithful, you shall both eat of the fruit of the tree of life and drink of the water of the fountain. And," said He, "you must go back to the earth again, and relate to others what I have revealed to you." Then an angel bore me gently down to this dark world. Sometimes I think I can stay here no longer, all things of earth look so dreary. I feel very lonely here, for I have seen a better land. Oh that I had wings like a dove, then would I fly away and be at rest. {1T 69.2}

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #104692
11/16/08 08:35 PM
11/16/08 08:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

Was Peter abiding in Jesus when he sinned against the Gentiles?

Has anyone this side of the 144,000 ever lived without sinning ignorantly? Besides Jesus, of course.

Page 26 of 32 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 31 32

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!