HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,315 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 35 of 71 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 70 71
Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #104727
11/17/08 03:12 PM
11/17/08 03:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
I was pointing out that your view is the same as what she presented in GC 536, except for the punishment (or torture) not being ceaseless.

You are wrong, Tom, dead wrong. There is more I disagree with than what you say. I do not believe God finds pleasure in punishing people. Circumstances forces Him to do it, but He is not willing that any should perish. Yes, He is pleased law and justice are served and satisfied, but not pleased sinners neglect heaven-sent opportunities for learning the way of peace and righteousness, not pleased they reject Jesus.

Re: The Covenants [Re: kland] #104728
11/17/08 03:24 PM
11/17/08 03:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
And your statement of "The wrath of God is love" strikes me like political speech. Unless you are explaining what "wrath" means. Which then would contradict some of your other statements.

But, perhaps, could it be that punishment and vengeance and eternal could mean something different here? I believe you intend "everlasting" to mean the results of it and not the action continuing. I'm not sure you could modify the meaning of one without modifying the meaning of the other.

If I need to be more specific, I asked, what will I learn, how will it correct me when God raises me for the purpose of "punishing" me. That sounds like some vindictive and vengeful God seeking to torture me.

Your explanation of "The reason God must resurrect them is due to the fact the first death does not satisfy the demands of law and justice, namely, punishment "according to their works" doesn't seem to answer the question dealing with what my idea for purpose of "punishment" is. Perhaps you could share what punishment means to you if not to teach, correct, and lead.

Even God refers to these kinds of things as His "strange act". I do not pretend to understand everything there is to know about why God punishes and destroys impenitent sinners. That He does, is clear in the Bible.

Isaiah
28:21 For the LORD shall rise up as [in] mount Perazim, he shall be wroth as [in] the valley of Gibeon, that he may do his work, his strange work; and bring to pass his act, his strange act.

GC 627
God's judgments will be visited upon those who are seeking to oppress and destroy His people. His long forbearance with the wicked emboldens men in transgression, but their punishment is nonetheless certain and terrible because it is long delayed. "The Lord shall rise up as in Mount Perazim, He shall be wroth as in the valley of Gibeon, that He may do His work, His strange work; and bring to pass His act, His strange act." Isaiah 28:21. To our merciful God the act of punishment is a strange act. "As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked." Ezekiel 33:11. The Lord is "merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, . . . forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin." Yet He will "by no means clear the guilty." The Lord is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked." Exodus 34:6, 7; Nahum 1:3. By terrible things in righteousness He will vindicate the authority of His downtrodden law. The severity of the retribution awaiting the transgressor may be judged by the Lord's reluctance to execute justice. The nation with which He bears long, and which He will not smite until it has filled up the measure of its iniquity in God's account, will finally drink the cup of wrath unmixed with mercy. {GC 627.2}

PP 628
The forbearance that God has exercised toward the wicked, emboldens men in transgression; but their punishment will be none the less certain and terrible for being long delayed. "The Lord shall rise up as in Mount Perazim, He shall be wroth as in the valley of Gibeon, that He may do His work, His strange work; and bring to pass His act, His strange act." Isaiah 28:21. To our merciful God the act of punishment is a strange act. "As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live." Ezekiel 33:11. The Lord is "merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, . . . forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin." Yet He will "by no means clear the guilty." Exodus 34:6, 7. While He does not delight in vengeance, He will execute judgment upon the transgressors of His law. He is forced to do this, to preserve the inhabitants of the earth from utter depravity and ruin. In order to save some He must cut off those who have become hardened in sin. "The Lord is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked." Nahum 1:3. By terrible things in righteousness He will vindicate the authority of His downtrodden law. And the very fact of His reluctance to execute justice testifies to the enormity of the sins that call forth His judgments and to the severity of the retribution awaiting the transgressor. {PP 628.1}

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #104742
11/17/08 10:40 PM
11/17/08 10:40 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:I was pointing out that your view is the same as what she presented in GC 536, except for the punishment (or torture) not being ceaseless.

M:You are wrong, Tom, dead wrong.

I was just going by what you said. I asked you specifically to name something different about the view, other than the duration, and all you mentioned was the duration.

Quote:
There is more I disagree with than what you say. I do not believe God finds pleasure in punishing people. Circumstances forces Him to do it, but He is not willing that any should perish. Yes, He is pleased law and justice are served and satisfied, but not pleased sinners neglect heaven-sent opportunities for learning the way of peace and righteousness, not pleased they reject Jesus.

Ok. Glad to hear this. She was commenting on this portion:

Quote:
"While the decree of reprobation is eternally executing on the vessels of wrath, the smoke of their torment will be eternally ascending in view of the vessels of mercy, who, instead of taking the part of these miserable objects, will say, Amen, Alleluia! praise ye the Lord!"

I recall you're saying something similar to this earlier (i.e., similar to what I've quoted here, about their being praise happening when the wicked are being burned alive). I'm understanding correctly that you are now disagreeing with this?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #104743
11/17/08 10:52 PM
11/17/08 10:52 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
So you say.

Shakespeare said it first. I must give credit where it's due.

Quote:
What about drowning people alive? Is that cruelty? God drowned millions of people in the Flood. You seem to think God cannot punish and destroy sinners because it is inconsistent with His character. But listen:

Is your argument here that God was cruel in flooding people, so it's OK for Him to be cruel in burning people alive? I have no idea why you're bringing up the Flood here.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #104752
11/17/08 11:25 PM
11/17/08 11:25 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Mike,

You've provided some excellent quotes here. It is obvious to me that God can do what He chooses to do, and that we, being sinful subjects of His, should not be trying to say that God cannot punish us because it would be too cruel. He is, after all, so great, that Ellen White was also inspired to write the following:

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
I saw that God's holy name should be used with reverence and awe. The words God Almighty are coupled together and used by some in prayer in a careless, thoughtless manner, which is displeasing to Him. Such have no realizing sense of God or the truth, or they would not speak so irreverently of the great and dreadful God, who is soon to judge them in the last day. Said the angel, "Couple them not together; for fearful is His name." Those who realize the greatness and majesty of God, will take His name on their lips with holy awe. He dwelleth in light unapproachable; no man can see Him and live. I saw that these things will have to be understood and corrected before the church can prosper. {EW 122.1}

Some think it a mark of humility to pray to God in a common manner. . . . They profane His name by needlessly and irreverently mingling with their prayers the words, "God Almighty"--awful, sacred words, which should never pass the lips except in subdued tones and with a feeling of awe. {FLB 41.4}

Regarding the "everlasting" portion of the punishment which will come to the wicked, the Bible is clear. The fire is eternal. But death is the reward for sin, so the sinners are not immortal.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Green Cochoa] #104765
11/18/08 01:33 AM
11/18/08 01:33 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thank you, GC. Indeed, God is holy, and whatever He does is holy - even if it doesn't make sense to us even if it is a "strange act".

Revelation
4:8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about [him]; and [they were] full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #104767
11/18/08 01:36 AM
11/18/08 01:36 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I recall you're saying something similar to this earlier (i.e., similar to what I've quoted here, about their being praise happening when the wicked are being burned alive). I'm understanding correctly that you are now disagreeing with this?

They will praise the justice of God. They will not find pleasure in the fact the wicked are being punished according to their sinfulness.

Revelation
16:5 And I heard the angel of the waters say, Thou art righteous, O Lord, which art, and wast, and shalt be, because thou hast judged thus.
16:6 For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and thou hast given them blood to drink; for they are worthy.
16:7 And I heard another out of the altar say, Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous [are] thy judgments.

Revelation
18:6 Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double.
18:7 How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow.
18:8 Therefore shall her plagues come in one day, death, and mourning, and famine; and she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong [is] the Lord God who judgeth her.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #104768
11/18/08 01:41 AM
11/18/08 01:41 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: What about drowning people alive? Is that cruelty? God drowned millions of people in the Flood. You seem to think God cannot punish and destroy sinners because it is inconsistent with His character. But listen:

T: Is your argument here that God was cruel in flooding people, so it's OK for Him to be cruel in burning people alive? I have no idea why you're bringing up the Flood here.

I asked you a question. Please answer it.

1. Do you think God was being cruel when He drowned alive millions of men, women, and children in the Flood?

2. And, do you think God was being cruel when He burned alive hundreds of men, women, and children in the fires of Sodom?

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #104787
11/18/08 07:08 AM
11/18/08 07:08 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I asked you a question. What does the flood have to do with this? Why are you bringing it up?

Rather than answer my question, you bring up something else. Why are you bringing up Sodom and Gomorrah?

If you're out of the blue going to ask questions about subjects other than what we are talking about, you should provide some sort of motivation for doing so.

Quote:
T:I recall you're saying something similar to this earlier (i.e., similar to what I've quoted here, about their being praise happening when the wicked are being burned alive). I'm understanding correctly that you are now disagreeing with this?

M:They will praise the justice of God. They will not find pleasure in the fact the wicked are being punished according to their sinfulness.

Ok, so you're agreeing with the following?

Quote:
"While the decree of reprobation is eternally executing on the vessels of wrath, the smoke of their torment will be eternally ascending in view of the vessels of mercy, who, instead of taking the part of these miserable objects, will say, Amen, Alleluia! praise ye the Lord!"

(except for the duration).

Quote:
Indeed, God is holy, and whatever He does is holy - even if it doesn't make sense to us even if it is a "strange act".

Certainly God is holy, but if we see Him as acting completely contrary to Jesus Christ, doing things like burning people alive to "punish" them, we need to seriously question *our* ideas of God's character, not God's holiness.

It sounds like what is being suggested is that since God is holy, He can do whatever He wants, including cruelly punishing people. Who are we to question His burning people alive? After all, He is God; He can do whatever He wants.

I don't believe either that God is like this, nor that He desires that we view His activities in such a way (i.e., that He can do whatever He wants because He is God.) It's certainly true that God is powerful enough to do whatever He wants, but God does not desire a slavish obedience. He desires that His creatures have an intelligent appreciation of His character, the main feature of which is that God is love.

Quote:
Thus the arch-fiend clothes with his own attributes the Creator and Benefactor of mankind. Cruelty is Satanic. God is love... (GC 534)

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #104794
11/18/08 01:40 PM
11/18/08 01:40 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
So you say. What about drowning people alive? Is that cruelty? God drowned millions of people in the Flood.
'In Noah's day philosophers declared that it was impossible for the world to be destroyed by water; so now there are men of science who endeavor to show that the world cannot be destroyed by fire--that this would be inconsistent with the laws of nature.'

Would you be bringing up the flood as saying that what God did during the flood is the same as what God will ultimately do to those who reject him?

Quote:

They measure God by themselves. They reason as to how they would act under the circumstances and decide God would do as they imagine they would do. . . . {LDE 240.5}

But, it seems like you are reasoning that you would drown the people in the flood, so therefore God would do so, too? How is what you are claiming God would do to those who reject Him any different than what a dictator would do to those who reject him? A dictator may say,

Quote:

Be loyal to me and I'll provide you with fancy houses, fancy cars, and fancy women.
Dare question me, and you'll be taken out back and hear a little pop.
But, I'm only doing it to satisfy justice and eliminate dissent.
For I am a loving dictator and am happy to provide for your needs, but rules must be followed so that we all can live in harmony.
Does anyone disagree with that?.....I didn't think so.

[meanwhile, they are plotting his death. Why?]

Quote:

Yes, He is pleased law and justice are served and satisfied, but not pleased sinners neglect heaven-sent opportunities for learning the way of peace and righteousness, not pleased they reject Jesus.

Even God refers to these kinds of things as His "strange act".

I too am wondering why you did not answer the question of why you brought up the flood and Sodom and Gomorrah. Another thing missing is why you did not address what "punishment" means. Here is what it sounds like you are saying to me:
  • God would like people to accept Him.
  • He gives them opportunities to learn about Him and accept Him.
  • However, if they still reject Him, He punishes them even though it is too late to teach, correct, or lead them in the way they should go.
  • God then takes great pleasure in His "strange act" of ..... (I'm not sure what you would put here)

So, it appears, the purpose of this punishment is to satisfy some "vengeful" feelings of God being right. What is "torture", if not satisfying some personal sense of "justice" with no hope of teaching?

Is it possible to allow that God, who is currently sustaining life in spite of sin, will bring to pass His strange act in finally allowing sinners to experience what happens when they separate from the source of life? Through their own choice and no direct act from God other than allowing them that choice?

Again, what is your definition of punishment and how does that fit in with what you think God does to those who reject Him?

Page 35 of 71 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 70 71

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!