HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,396 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 38 of 71 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 70 71
Re: The Covenants [Re: teresaq] #104938
11/21/08 01:38 AM
11/21/08 01:38 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
teresaq, how would the scenario you're suggesting tie into the EGW statement that the wicked will suffer proportionately to their sin?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #104940
11/21/08 02:17 AM
11/21/08 02:17 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
teresaq, how would the scenario you're suggesting tie into the EGW statement that the wicked will suffer proportionately to their sin?

unless you read it differently, thats what i believe it says and means.
The wicked are filled with the same hatred of God that inspires Satan; but they see that their case is hopeless, that they cannot prevail against Jehovah. Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception. With the fury of demons they turn upon them, and there follows a scene of universal strife. {4SP 487.1}

Rev 20:9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.

as for your question, i dont know what you are looking for. smile
if they suffer "proportionately" we have either a form of the eternally burning hell, or the eternally burning hell is a perversion of the truth.

on the other hand we have this verse which is most curious in the light of the one above.

Eze 28:18 Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.

does the fire come from heaven or from the midst of satan?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: The Covenants [Re: teresaq] #104942
11/21/08 04:41 AM
11/21/08 04:41 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I was referring to this:

Quote:
The wicked receive their recompense in the earth. Proverbs 11:31. They "shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts." Malachi 4:1. Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished "according to their deeds."(GC 673)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #104943
11/21/08 05:37 AM
11/21/08 05:37 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
hmmmm, are you thinking im saying that doesnt happen?

but in all honesty we have two seemingly conflicting statements. the wicked are murdering each other and the fire comes down and consumes them, yet, "Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished "according to their deeds."(GC 673)"

im very aware of those statements, but the massacre at both comings, especially the third just hit me. so im waiting on the Lord to see how He reconciles them along with the verses i posted before.

the fire coming from above, yet coming from the midst of satan. interesting.

but perhaps you have already come to your own understanding. smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: The Covenants [Re: teresaq] #104963
11/21/08 08:33 PM
11/21/08 08:33 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I understand the suffering to be proportional because the more one has sinned, the more one suffers when the truth is revealed. From DA 108

Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

This brings out that the same thing that gives life to the righteous is what will slay the wicked. Since "light" is "revelation" and "glory" is "character," we can see that the "light of the glory of God" = "the revelation of God's character." That this interpretation is correct is born out by the next sentence:

Quote:
In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God.

The following brings out that God's glory is His character:

Quote:
The glory of God is His character. While Moses was in the mount, earnestly interceding with God, he prayed, "I beseech thee, show me thy glory." In answer God declared, "I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy." The glory of God--His character--was then revealed: "The Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty" (Exodus 33:18, 19; 34:6, 7).

So I don't think the fire which destroys the wicked is literal fire, since literal fire does not give life to the righteous.

The following also sheds light on how the wicked are destroyed:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

One more that has useful information:

Quote:
Could those whose lives have been spent in rebellion against God be suddenly transported to heaven and witness the high, the holy state of perfection that ever exists there,-- every soul filled with love, every countenance beaming with joy, enrapturing music in melodious strains rising in honor of God and the Lamb, and ceaseless streams of light flowing upon the redeemed from the face of Him who sitteth upon the throne,--could those whose hearts are filled with hatred of God, of truth and holiness, mingle with the heavenly throng and join their songs of praise? Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb? No, no; years of probation were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late. A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God. (GC 542, 543)

And, of course, there is the one you've been referring to from GC.

I agree with you that there are statements which appear to be contradictory. It's a challenge for us to put them all together in a way which makes sense and is consistent with other information we have (for example, regarding God's character).

Re: The Covenants [Re: Green Cochoa] #104964
11/21/08 08:38 PM
11/21/08 08:38 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
May God open your eyes,

Green Cochoa.

Just wanted to make sure I fully understood the interaction going on here.

While it would be important to have as an accurate view of God as we are capable of, let's set aside accuracy for the moment.

It appears that Tom is praying that Green Cochoa will have a more kinder and nicer view of God whereas Green Cochoa is praying that Tom will have a harsher view of God?

Re: The Covenants [Re: kland] #104996
11/22/08 12:48 AM
11/22/08 12:48 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
kland,

I would hope that none of us would lead others astray by soothing words which might make it seem that God does not execute justice upon the sinner.

The whole sacrificial system of the Israelites illustrated the judgment, and what was to take place. The two goats are highly symbolic. Perhaps we should study them more.

God will uphold His law, for it is a part of His character. The law, in and of itself, knows no mercy. It is not flexible. It is unchanging, just like God. It was this very inflexibility that demanded death as a punishment for every sinner, and for which Christ died as a substitute for us. I know that Tom is not a believer in this, and has views contrary to the Bible in this regard.

I respect the kind manner of Tom in answering me, nor do I wish to answer in a harsh spirit. Such is not my object. I feel called to speak the truth, however, and sometimes the truth is not gentle. Christ uttered scathing rebukes at times, yet in Him there was no sin. It would be sinful to gloss over the truth, and make it seem that error was acceptable in its place.

Here is a statement from Mrs. White that touches on our earlier discussion.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
There is a power that can destroy both soul and body. "I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear," Christ said. "Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him." The Ruler of the universe bears long with the perversity of men; but he keeps a record of their works, and in proportion as they have caused pain to others, they will themselves be punished. John writes, "I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues. For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities. Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double. How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she hath said in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow. Therefore shall her plagues come in one day, death, and mourning, and famine; and she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong is the Lord God who judgeth her." {RH, June 19, 1900 par. 4}

If it seems harsh to you that God should keep a record of all of your works, and punish you accordingly, so be it. It does not seem harsh to me, merely just. It is akin to the classroom teacher giving marks based upon the work submitted throughout the class, the teacher having kept records. If the teacher were to give any grade other than that which the records indicated should be given, any witness of this could say it was unfair. If the teacher had NOT kept records, and simply settled on a grade at the end, it would also be considered unfair.

God, however, will not be unfair to us. He is righteous, just, and good. If He is unfair, it is because it was not fair that Jesus should have had to take our penalty to Himself. That is the biggest unfairness in this whole drama.

Does that unfairness make God seem "harsh" in your eyes?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Green Cochoa] #105002
11/22/08 03:01 AM
11/22/08 03:01 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
God will uphold His law, for it is a part of His character. The law, in and of itself, knows no mercy. It is not flexible. It is unchanging, just like God. It was this very inflexibility that demanded death as a punishment for every sinner, and for which Christ died as a substitute for us. I know that Tom is not a believer in this, and has views contrary to the Bible in this regard.

This looks to be saying that God is inflexible, which you are correct in asserting that I disagree with this. I don't think the problem involves God at all, nor His law.

I see the problem as described here:

Quote:
Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God, attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. He led them to doubt the word of God, and to distrust His goodness. Because God is a God of justice and terrible majesty, Satan caused them to look upon Him as severe and unforgiving. Thus he drew men to join him in rebellion against God, and the night of woe settled down upon the world. (DA 21)

This describes the real problem. It can be described in legal language, or non-legal language. I think it's easier to understand in non-legal language.

Here's the solution:

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God (ST 1/20/90; Emphasis mine).

Since the problem is due to Satan's deceptions involving a misrepresentation of God's character, it stands to reason that the solution would be a revelation of the truth regarding God's character. And indeed, we read that that "whole purpose" of Christ's mission was to "set men right" by means of "the revelation of God."

So there it is in a nutshell. Since the whole purpose of Christ's mission was to reveal God, it follows that everything that He did was for this purpose. It seems to me looking at things this way makes things very easy to understand.

Satan desired power, so to achieve his goal he misrepresented God's character. In so doing, he deceived men (and angels). In order to win men back, the truth must be revealed. So Christ did this. He revealed God to be compassionate, flexible, patient, merciful, gentle, kind, interested in others, polite, careful, to name a few things. Humble, serving others should be added.

He was not at all like how the religious people of the time represented Him, nor like the religious people themselves. Unfortunately, the same comments apply today, and it is a sad fact that the absolute worst presentations of God's character come from religious people.

Let's consider one act; Christ's washing His disciples' feet. Taking into account Christ's claim: "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father," what does this tell us about God?

It tells us that God is amazingly humble, One who serves those who are below Him. Christ came "to serve" and "not to be served."

If someone asked, "Are you a servant of God, or is God your servant?" many would recoil in horror at the thought that God is our servant, and would cry out, "I am God's servant, of course!" But a true servant is one who carries out the desires of his master, and we are so poor at doing this that it seems shameful or presumptuous of us to make this claim. On the other hand, that God is our servant cannot be denied. After all, this is exactly what Christ said! "I came not to be served, but to serve." When we combine this with "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father," we come to the amazing conclusion that God, the creator of all things, the Master of the Universe, the King and King and Lord of Lords, is a Servant, even to the point of washing feet, a deed which was thought to be beneath the dignity of anyone but a lowly servant to perform.

This is just one episode to consider; they're are many, many more. It seems to me to be a rare thing that one considers the acts and teachings of Jesus Christ to be an actual representation of God's character. Rather than being seen as Christ presented Him, He is often seen along the lines that the enemy has presented Him, as one who is unforgiving, severe, harsh, inflexible, just waiting to punish those who act contrary to His wishes.

God could care less that we acted according to His wishes as far as His own person is concerned. God is completely selfless. His desire is 100% for the well-being of His creatures; this is the nature of agape. God desires what He desires because He is good, and His goodness "requires" that His creatures to that which is for their happiness and well-being, which is to do good and not evil; not because this is an arbitrary requirement of some law, but because self-sacrificing love is the only way to happiness and well-being.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #105008
11/22/08 07:14 AM
11/22/08 07:14 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:

This looks to be saying that God is inflexible, which you are correct in asserting that I disagree with this. I don't think the problem involves God at all, nor His law.

I see the problem as described here:

Quote:
Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God, attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. He led them to doubt the word of God, and to distrust His goodness. Because God is a God of justice and terrible majesty, Satan caused them to look upon Him as severe and unforgiving. Thus he drew men to join him in rebellion against God, and the night of woe settled down upon the world. (DA 21)

This describes the real problem. It can be described in legal language, or non-legal language. I think it's easier to understand in non-legal language.

Here's the solution:

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God (ST 1/20/90; Emphasis mine).

Since the problem is due to Satan's deceptions involving a misrepresentation of God's character, it stands to reason that the solution would be a revelation of the truth regarding God's character. And indeed, we read that that "whole purpose" of Christ's mission was to "set men right" by means of "the revelation of God."

So there it is in a nutshell. Since the whole purpose of Christ's mission was to reveal God, it follows that everything that He did was for this purpose. It seems to me looking at things this way makes things very easy to understand.

Satan desired power, so to achieve his goal he misrepresented God's character. In so doing, he deceived men (and angels). In order to win men back, the truth must be revealed. So Christ did this. He revealed God to be compassionate, flexible, patient, merciful, gentle, kind, interested in others, polite, careful, to name a few things. Humble, serving others should be added.

He was not at all like how the religious people of the time represented Him, nor like the religious people themselves. Unfortunately, the same comments apply today, and it is a sad fact that the absolute worst presentations of God's character come from religious people.

Let's consider one act; Christ's washing His disciples' feet. Taking into account Christ's claim: "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father," what does this tell us about God?

It tells us that God is amazingly humble, One who serves those who are below Him. Christ came "to serve" and "not to be served."

If someone asked, "Are you a servant of God, or is God your servant?" many would recoil in horror at the thought that God is our servant, and would cry out, "I am God's servant, of course!" But a true servant is one who carries out the desires of his master, and we are so poor at doing this that it seems shameful or presumptuous of us to make this claim. On the other hand, that God is our servant cannot be denied. After all, this is exactly what Christ said! "I came not to be served, but to serve." When we combine this with "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father," we come to the amazing conclusion that God, the creator of all things, the Master of the Universe, the King and King and Lord of Lords, is a Servant, even to the point of washing feet, a deed which was thought to be beneath the dignity of anyone but a lowly servant to perform.

This is just one episode to consider; they're are many, many more. It seems to me to be a rare thing that one considers the acts and teachings of Jesus Christ to be an actual representation of God's character. Rather than being seen as Christ presented Him, He is often seen along the lines that the enemy has presented Him, as one who is unforgiving, severe, harsh, inflexible, just waiting to punish those who act contrary to His wishes.

God could care less that we acted according to His wishes as far as His own person is concerned. God is completely selfless. His desire is 100% for the well-being of His creatures; this is the nature of agape. God desires what He desires because He is good, and His goodness "requires" that His creatures to that which is for their happiness and well-being, which is to do good and not evil; not because this is an arbitrary requirement of some law, but because self-sacrificing love is the only way to happiness and well-being.

Tom,

Are you saying that you believe God's law is flexible? adaptable? amendable? Is there some "elastic clause" in it that gives us a way of escape from our otherwise-required doom?

Malachi disagrees with you...but then, you'll need to read on to see why.

Perhaps you and I will need to "agree to disagree." I could hardly disagree more, for I disagree both with your reasoning, and with the attitude it conveys. The last paragraph of yours here actually shocks me. That you could so flippantly refer to God's law using words like those! "...an arbitrary requirement of some law." This is not just "some law!" This is the LAW OF GOD. And, while you may not accept this, the law of God IS part of God Himself.

God will not entrust the care of His precious flock to men whose mind and judgment have been weakened by former errors that they have cherished, such as so-called perfectionism [SEE APPENDIX.] and Spiritualism, and who, by their course while in these errors, have disgraced themselves and brought reproach upon the cause of truth. Although they may now feel free from error and competent to go forth and to teach this last message, God will not accept them. He will not entrust precious souls to their care; for their judgment was perverted while in error, and is now weakened. The great and holy One is a jealous God, and He will have holy men to carry His truth. The holy law spoken by God from Sinai [is] a part of Himself, and holy men who are its strict observers will alone honor Him by teaching it to others. {EW 101.2} [Early Writings (1882)]

It all comes back to a proper understanding of the covenants, the central theme for this thread. I suppose you will interpret this differently, Tom, for you have many times tried to express the view that God was NOT revealed properly in the Old Testament, but only through the incarnation of Christ. However, as you well know, Mike and I disagree with this at its core. I would, however, hope that you can see whereupon we base our understanding through ample support in the Bible and Mrs. White. The following quote is a good one.

From the creation the moral law was an essential part of God's divine plan, and was as unchangeable as Himself. The ceremonial law was to answer a particular purpose in Christ's plan for the salvation of the race. The typical system of sacrifices and offerings was established that through these services the sinner might discern the great offering, Christ. . . . The ceremonial law was glorious; it was the provision made by Jesus Christ in counsel with His Father, to aid in the salvation of the race. The whole arrangement of the typical system was founded on Christ. Adam saw Christ prefigured in the innocent beast suffering the penalty of his transgression of Jehovah's law. {FLB 106.3}
[The Faith I Live By (1958)]

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Green Cochoa] #105009
11/22/08 09:32 AM
11/22/08 09:32 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Are you saying that you believe God's law is flexible?

I'm saying God is flexible. You wrote:

Quote:
It is not flexible. It is unchanging, just like God. It was this very inflexibility that demanded death as a punishment for every sinner...

This is implying, if not actually saying, that it is because of God's inflexibility that Christ had to die.

Quote:
Perhaps you and I will need to "agree to disagree." I could hardly disagree more, for I disagree both with your reasoning, and with the attitude it conveys. The last paragraph of yours here actually shocks me. That you could so flippantly refer to God's law using words like those! "...an arbitrary requirement of some law."

"Some" means "any." I wasn't using the term in a derogatory way. I was merely saying that the problem that man has is not due to some law (i.e., any law), but due to sin. I find it a bit ironic that you are shocked by a perception of how I refer to God's law, while presenting God in a way which appears to me to be contrary to that very law!

The law is a transcript of God's character. It describes the principles of love. It says, for example, "Thou shalt not lie." "Thou shalt not kill." It describes in words the life of Jesus Christ. I believe the law of God is a wonderful thing, and that not living according to its principles results in death, for the very reason that it is so wonderful. Where we disagree is that I believe that death comes not as an arbitrary enforcement of breaking it, but from breaking the underlying principles of self-sacrificing love, which is the "law of life" for the universe.

Quote:
It all comes back to a proper understanding of the covenants, the central theme for this thread. I suppose you will interpret this differently, Tom, for you have many times tried to express the view that God was NOT revealed properly in the Old Testament, but only through the incarnation of Christ.

You're misrepresenting what I said. Please quote something I actually said, as opposed to misrepresenting my words.

Quote:
However, as you well know, Mike and I disagree with this at its core.

So do I, and, again, this is not something I've said.

Quote:
I would, however, hope that you can see whereupon we base our understanding through ample support in the Bible and Mrs. White.

GC, I presented a very lengthy and well reasoned argument, and you didn't even attempt to address it. I presented detailed quotes, and explained each step. Basically our disagreement appears to me to come down to what is the problem that needs to be solved in order for a person to be saved. According to the Spirit of Prophecy, the "whole purpose" of Christ's mission was "the revelation of God" in order to "set man right." "Whole purpose" means underlying everything that Christ did.

Here's a quote which deals specifically with how a person is saved:

Quote:
How, then, are we to be saved? "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, "I delight to do Thy will, O my God." Ps. 40:8. (DA 175)

Now there is no better way of honoring the heart than to have it written in one's heart. How do we have the law written in the heart? By beholding the love of God revealed in Christ.

Quote:
Belief in the propitiation for sin enables fallen man to love God with his whole heart and his neighbor as himself. (COL 378)

As we behold the self-sacrificing love revealed in the sacrifice of Christ, that love encourages us to respond in kind, to give ourselves for the One who gave Himself for us.

Page 38 of 71 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 70 71

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!