HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,936 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: teresaq] #105216
11/26/08 10:33 PM
11/26/08 10:33 PM
A
Aaron  Offline
TN
Often we tell our children to brush their teeth every night. Do we do this because if they dont we will sneak into their rooms at night and put holes in there teeth? Or are we teaching a principle that not brushing will have natural results that will not be good for their teeth?

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: teresaq] #105223
11/27/08 01:31 AM
11/27/08 01:31 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
It's our basic morality - ability to die, a material consequence of a spiritual reality: dead in sin, eventually physically die as souls, too. Average lifespan since Eden has steadily dropped, according to lowered life expectancy - God setting the decline precisely. Mortal death is natural for mortals, not so?! - everlasting annihilation is extra.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Colin] #105235
11/27/08 03:27 AM
11/27/08 03:27 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
It's our basic morality - ability to die, a material consequence of a spiritual reality: dead in sin, eventually physically die as souls, too. Average lifespan since Eden has steadily dropped, according to lowered life expectancy - God setting the decline precisely. Mortal death is natural for mortals, not so?! - everlasting annihilation is extra.

interesting wording.

i dont know if you are answering my question or not since you didnt address it to me, but...:)

so, ok. legitimate point. but, after the flood, man had only meat to eat until the reaping and sowing got done, besides whatever natural might have come up on its own.

so, was it "natural mortality" that made mens longevity shrink so dramatically so quickly?

Last edited by teresaq; 11/27/08 03:28 AM.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: teresaq] #105248
11/27/08 05:53 PM
11/27/08 05:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Teresaq, if I may share a thought. The reason sinners die a slow, gradual first death is because God denies them access to eat of the tree of life. Otherwise, sinners would live forever. Which is not to say they cannot be murdered.

"And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever: therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. So He drove out the man; and He placed at the east of the garden of Eden cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life." (Genesis 3:20)

Thus, the Bible teaches that sin does not kill sinners. Sin is not an active, independent agent that goes around killing sinners. Yes, the results of certain forms of sinning can lead to death. But this isn't true of all sins. For example, if two people love each other and decide to live together without getting married it will not result in death. That is, living in sin in this way will not kill them.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Mountain Man] #105258
11/27/08 07:17 PM
11/27/08 07:17 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Teresaq, if I may share a thought. The reason sinners die a slow, gradual first death is because God denies them access to eat of the tree of life. Otherwise, sinners would live forever. Which is not to say they cannot be murdered.

"And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever: therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. So He drove out the man; and He placed at the east of the garden of Eden cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life." (Genesis 3:20)

Thus, the Bible teaches that sin does not kill sinners. Sin is not an active, independent agent that goes around killing sinners. Yes, the results of certain forms of sinning can lead to death. But this isn't true of all sins. For example, if two people love each other and decide to live together without getting married it will not result in death. That is, living in sin in this way will not kill them.

so, you dont see a link between eating meat and dying quicker?

regarding two people living together foregoing the sanction of the state, did we decide that is a sin or did God? i really dont know, and it could be noone knows for sure in each case.

regardless, im sure there would be a feeling of guilt eating at some of them.

if sin doesnt kill, then why does God hate it? if we could sin and be happy, is God just arbitrary and going to kill us because He made some arbitrary rules that we're breaking?

i find it interesting when i read my bible that "violence" is when God acts.

Gen 6:13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

Gen 19:4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:
Gen 19:5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.

at the second coming, the wicked surround the righteous wanting to kill them. then they turn on each other and massive slaughter ensues.

at the third coming, again the wicked surround the new jerusalem with the intent of conquering, then they turn on each other and massive slaughter ensues. until fire consumes them.

so id say sin kills. if we all followed after God, with holy hearts, there would be a fraction of the bloodshed and suffering going on in our world.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: teresaq] #105260
11/27/08 07:31 PM
11/27/08 07:31 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
so, was it "natural mortality" that made mens longevity shrink so dramatically so quickly?

Quote:
After the flood the people ate largely of animal food. God saw that the ways of man were corrupt, and that he was disposed to exalt himself proudly against his Creator and to follow the inclinations of his own heart. And He permitted that long-lived race to eat animal food to shorten their sinful lives. Soon after the flood the race began to rapidly decrease in size, and in length of years. {CD 373.3}

After the fall, the eating of flesh was suffered, in order to shorten the period of the existence of the long-lived race. It was allowed because of the hardness of the hearts of men. {TSDF 68.3}

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: asygo] #105287
11/28/08 10:35 PM
11/28/08 10:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Teresaq, I agree sin results in sinners suffering and dying. But it is not sin that kills them. Instead, it is the results of sinning that can lead to suffering and death. For example, it is a sin to murder someone. In such cases it is sinners that causes suffering and death - not sin. But as I mentioned above, not all sins result in death. Nevertheless, any time anyone lives out of harmony with God's will they will suffer in one way or another. In some cases they will suffer unrest, suffer from a God-sized hole in their heart.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Mountain Man] #105292
11/29/08 02:07 AM
11/29/08 02:07 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Teresaq, ..., it is the results of sinning that can lead to suffering and death. ...

ok. but i think that is pretty much what i meant when i said sin kills.

i dont really think i thought of sin as outside of me attacking me. smile

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: teresaq] #105294
11/29/08 02:23 AM
11/29/08 02:23 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Back to lesson for a moment: righteousness is defined as legal justification but moreover personal participation in Christ's Gospel - hopefully meaning justification by faith is both legal and the more so experiential - a truth very reluctantly admitted, to my knowledge. If J&S are jointly meant by this "righteousness", then it's nothing new and they side-stepped this gem of Gospel power truth despite coming so close to stating it. Does hinge on Christ taking sinful humanity for us to have this experience of justification by faith...

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Colin] #105302
11/29/08 06:48 AM
11/29/08 06:48 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's how Waggoner defined "righteousness"

Quote:
In Ps. 119:172 the Psalmist thus addresses the Lord, "My tongue shall speak of Thy word, for all Thy commandments are righteousness." The commandments are righteousness, not simply in the abstract, but they are the righteousness of God. For proof read the following:

Lift up your eyes to the heavens and look upon the earth beneath, for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner; but my salvation shall be forever and my righteousness shall not be abolished. Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their revilings." Isa. 51:6,7.

What do we learn from this? That they who know the righteousness of God are those in whose heart is His law, and therefore that the law of God is the righteousness of God.

This may be proved again, as follows: "All unrighteousness is sin." 1 John 5:17. "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law; for sin is the transgression of the law." 1 John 3:4. Sin is the transgression of the law, and it is also unrighteousness; therefore sin and unrighteousness are identical. But if unrighteousness is transgression of the law, righteousness must be obedience to the law. Or, to put the proposition into mathematical form:

Unrighteousness = sin. 1 John 5:17. Transgression of the law = sin. 1 John 3:4.

Therefore, according to the axiom that two things that are equal to the same thing are equal to each other, we have: Unrighteousness = transgression of the law

...which is a negative equation. The same thing, stated in positive terms, would be: Righteousness = obedience to the law. (Christ and His Righteousness)

Quote:
hopefully meaning justification by faith is both legal and the more so experiential

I agree with this. Although you and I understand the underlying concepts a bit differently, I think the point you are raising is right on, and a very important one, and your general point here holds regardless of which position one takes (yours or mine).

Do you agree with the following? Justification by faith takes place when we believe the Good News? (I'm essentially quoting from Robert J. Wieland). If so, we can agree on this.

I would also agree with the idea that our experience is grounded on objective truth, which is a point that Sequeira strongly makes.

Quote:
If J&S are jointly meant by this "righteousness", then it's nothing new and they side-stepped this gem of Gospel power truth despite coming so close to stating it.

I didn't follow your point here. Please repeat it, as it looks like it could be interesting.

Quote:
Does hinge on Christ taking sinful humanity for us to have this experience of justification by faith.

I assume you meant this as an assertion, and just left out the "It" before "does." Assuming this is the case, I agree.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!