HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 3,263 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 39 of 71 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 70 71
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #105010
11/22/08 12:54 PM
11/22/08 12:54 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

Now you are beginning to say things in a way I can agree with. However, we still differ somewhat. Perhaps I have misunderstood your position from the discussions we had about a month or more ago, and to be honest, I may have forgotten the finer points of it.

Perhaps we each see a different "differing point." What I see is you saying this:

Originally Posted By: Tom
Where we disagree is that I believe that death comes not as an arbitrary enforcement of breaking it, but from breaking the underlying principles of self-sacrificing love, which is the "law of life" for the universe.

Whereas I see that death does come from breaking the law, although I do not see this event as anywhere near "arbitrary" (which would paint God in a poor light), but rather as just, righteous, and good....yes, good. If God were to simply bend the rules and allow evil to continue, this would not be good.

I'm sorry if I have misinterpreted your meaning here, and I appreciate your well-reasoned, and patient, explanation of where we differ.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Green Cochoa] #105011
11/22/08 06:15 PM
11/22/08 06:15 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thank you (for your comments at the end of your post).

The "arbitrary" comment comes from this:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

The first sentence is a comment on Mal. 4. The word "arbitrary" can mean "whimsical" or "capricious," but that's not it's meaning here. It can also mean "by individual discretion," which is the meaning here.

Iow, EGW is not saying:
a.The wicked will die, as in Mal. 4, because of an act of power on the part of God.
b.However, this act of power is not whimsical or capricious.

She is saying
a.The wicked will die, as in Mal. 4, but not because of an act of power of God, initiated by His individual discretion.
b.Instead, they will die as a result of their own choice.

I've included the whole paragraph, and the following one, so that the fact that she is making the second argument can be easily seen.

In the second paragraph, she points out that had Satan been "left" to reap the consequences of his sin, he would have perished. Now if Satan's death were due to something God Himself was doing to him (e.g. as punishment for breaking the law), she could hardly have said had Satan been "left" to suffer the consequences of his actions, since you cannot "leave" someone to suffer consequences that yourself are causing. Since God would be leaving Satan to suffer the consequences, the cause of those consequences must be something other than God.

She points out what these consequences are immediately following in referring to death as "the inevitable result of sin."

Once we start from the principle that death is the result of *sin*, everything ties together.

Yes, if you break the law you will die, but not because of an arbitrarily enforced punishment by God (read "individual discretion" here, not "capricious"), but because breaking the law is sin, and the inevitable result of sin is death.

Now why should breaking the law result in death? Because the law describes the path of life, which is self-sacrificing love. The following describes this beautifully:

Quote:
There is nothing, save the selfish heart of man, that lives unto itself. No bird that cleaves the air, no animal that moves upon the ground, but ministers to some other life. There is no leaf of the forest, or lowly blade of grass, but has its ministry. Every tree and shrub and leaf pours forth that element of life without which neither man nor animal could live; and man and animal, in turn, minister to the life of tree and shrub and leaf. The flowers breathe fragrance and unfold their beauty in blessing to the world. The sun sheds its light to gladden a thousand worlds. The ocean, itself the source of all our springs and fountains, receives the streams from every land, but takes to give. The mists ascending from its bosom fall in showers to water the earth, that it may bring forth and bud.

The angels of glory find their joy in giving,--giving love and tireless watchcare to souls that are fallen and unholy. Heavenly beings woo the hearts of men; they bring to this dark world light from the courts above; by gentle and patient ministry they move upon the human spirit, to bring the lost into a fellowship with Christ which is even closer than they themselves can know.

But turning from all lesser representations, we behold God in Jesus. Looking unto Jesus we see that it is the glory of our God to give. "I do nothing of Myself," said Christ; "the living Father hath sent Me, and I live by the Father." "I seek not Mine own glory," but the glory of Him that sent Me. John 8:28; 6:57; 8:50; 7:18. In these words is set forth the great principle which is the law of life for the universe. All things Christ received from God, but He took to give. So in the heavenly courts, in His ministry for all created beings: through the beloved Son, the Father's life flows out to all; through the Son it returns, in praise and joyous service, a tide of love, to the great Source of all. And thus through Christ the circuit of beneficence is complete, representing the character of the great Giver, the law of life. (DA 20, 21)

This eloquently describes the law of life for the Universe, which is simply to receive from the hand of God, and give to others (either God Himself, or our fellows) from that which we have received. Giving is life.

Satan broke this law by breaking this law of life. Rather than receive to give, he received for himself alone, and, beyond that, sought to take that which wasn't his. This path leads to death, not because God destroys those who choose this path, but because it is not the path of life. Only self-sacrificing love can lead to life, because the law of life is:

a.Receive from God
b.Give to others

Those who do these two simple things will live.

Because of sin, man became so infected by sin, it became impossible for him to succeed in this law of life. His nature became warped, so that he is self-centered. The only way out of this morass is by beholding the self-sacrificing love of God. And so we have the mission of Christ, whose "whole purpose" is the "revelation of God" in order to "set men right."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #105022
11/23/08 01:14 AM
11/23/08 01:14 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

There is still a world of difference between the following two statements:

[EGW] not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God
[TOM] but not because of an act of power of God

Whereas Ellen White is clarifying what kind of power God exerts, you have translated this to mean He exerts no power at all.

Sorry, but I do not follow this line of logic.

Ellen White also says "...His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them." Is this not an act of God? If it is an act of God, is it not a powerful one?

"Arbitrary" is nearly opposite of "just." God is just. God is never arbitrary. Therefore, Ellen White is simply putting to rest some of the Satan-inspired thoughts many have had about God. Just because God is not arbitrary does not mean He is not just, "righteously indignant", powerful, or a whole line of other things.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Green Cochoa] #105026
11/23/08 02:19 AM
11/23/08 02:19 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
If you read what she wrote in context, it should be easily seen that she was saying what I said she was. Here's the immediate context:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life.

She says first of all that "this" (which is quoting Mal. 4:1) is *not* something, but is something else. What is the something else? "when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life." which is expressed in these terms: The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown.

Therefore those who die are reaping the results of their own choice. She says this as clearly as possible.

This is contrasted with an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. There are two possibilities here:

1.They suffer from an act of power on the part of God, but that act is not arbitrary.
2.They do not suffer from an arbitrary act of power on the part of God, because their death is not caused by God at all, but is rather a result of their own choice.

If one considers the context, it's very easy to see that she is arguing 2, and not 1.

As I pointed out, she says:

Quote:
Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin.

Which is continuing the thought of the previous paragraph, seen by the fact that she says at first the angels did not understand "this". What is "this"? It is that the death of the wicked is a result of their own choice, as opposed to something God does to them.

We see this again in her saying had God left Satan to reap what he had sown, he would have perished. This means that Satan's death is not caused by God, because if it were, then God could not "leave" Satan to reap the consequences of his choice.

Then, to cap it off, she points out that death is "the inevitable result of sin."

If you will consider the last half of the post, it can be seen how this ties in with the principles she lays out in the beginning of "The Desire of Ages." The problem of man (and angels) can be seen as the result of Satan's misrepresenting God's character. The solution to the problem -- the "whole purpose" of Christ's mission -- is the revelation of God, which dispels Satan's lies. When we believe the truth about God, Satan loses his hold over us.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #105032
11/23/08 07:56 AM
11/23/08 07:56 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

We can keep talking about this, if you want, but your logic is only one-sided. It is obvious to anyone willing to look at the big picture that their deaths are not suicides, and that God is responsible for them. A very simple line of logic should suffice here, such as the following:

1) People sin, and become subject to death, because...
2) Sin is the transgression of law, and...
3) The law says those who sin must die, and thus...
4) People who break the law, by that same law, must die.
5) The law is God--a part of Him, a representation of His character and government.
6) Therefore, God is the One offended by sin, and the Executor of righteousness in upholding the law, including its penalty.

No person in their right mind will be saying--"I want to die! I'm going to kill myself so that I can never live again!" Whether or not they did live again would be out of their control anyhow, for God is the Lifegiver, Creator, and Sustainer. It was He to whom they owe their current existence.

It all boils down to one thing--they are removed from the universe by the same Power that brought them into it. The manner of their removal, far from one of their own choosing, is subject to His choosing. It is His power that raises them to life at the end of the millennium to receive the judgment which He has ordained for them (and for which the saints have sat as the jury).

I do not believe for an instant that God is unfair to execute judgment. It would be far more unfair if He did not. It is not arbitrary--but it is nonetheless His act that seals their doom.

If you think about it, for the "sin" to be what destroys the people...all by itself without any help from God...why are there so many sinners today? Why have we not already "self-destructed?"

For Ellen White to say that the sinners reap what they have sown is no surprise. That should be expected. Back to the example of students and teacher...a student will get the grade he/she deserves based upon performance. This is fair. However, it is most certainly the teacher who hands out the grades at term's end. If students gave themselves their own grades, they'd all receive straight A's I'm sure. No, but the sinner has not wanted death--the death has been earned, and will be granted as such by God Himself.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Green Cochoa] #105035
11/23/08 10:13 AM
11/23/08 10:13 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
We can keep talking about this, if you want, but your logic is only one-sided.

One-sided how? I've been basing what I've written on texts I've cited, including DA 21, 22, DA 764 and ST 1/20/90, to name a few.

Quote:
It is obvious to anyone willing to look at the big picture that their deaths are not suicides, and that God is responsible for them.

No, God is not responsible for their deaths. Please consider the following:

Quote:
1.This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. 2.The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and 3.when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. 4.He is "alienated from the life of God." 5.Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, 6.they receive the results of their own choice. 7.By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. (DA 764)

I added the numbers here. She says 7 times(!) in this one paragraph that God is not responsible for their deaths, but that the wicked themselves are.

Here's another place she makes this point:

Quote:
The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God. (GC 543)

Here's another place:

Quote:
God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown.(GC 36)

Quote:
No person in their right mind will be saying--"I want to die! I'm going to kill myself so that I can never live again!"

If their choice is to live with God, and people who love Him and His principles, their choice is to die. The statement in GC 543 brings this out. Here's some more of the context:

Quote:
Could those whose lives have been spent in rebellion against God be suddenly transported to heaven and witness the high, the holy state of perfection that ever exists there,-- every soul filled with love, every countenance beaming with joy, enrapturing music in melodious strains rising in honor of God and the Lamb, and ceaseless streams of light flowing upon the redeemed from the face of Him who sitteth upon the throne,--could those whose hearts are filled with hatred of God, of truth and holiness, mingle with the heavenly throng and join their songs of praise? Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb? No, no; years of probation were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late. A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God. (GC 542, 543)

"Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them... They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them."

This is very clear. Their choice is "voluntary with themselves." It's not forced upon them, but chosen voluntarily by them.

GC, it doesn't seem to me that you have considered the arguments I've presented. I've pointed out several times that she wrote that had God "left" Satan and his followers to reap that which they had sown, it would not have appeared that death is the inevitable result of sin. If things are as you are suggesting, she could not have written this. This should be easy to see. If the death of the wicked is due to God's own actions, as opposed to their own choice, then God could not have "left" Satan to perish.

The following two things cannot both be true:

1.God causes the wicked to die.
2.God leaves the wicked to reap the consequences of their own choice, which is death, the inevitable result of sin.

Either God causes the wicked to die, or He leaves them to die. it can't be both.

Quote:
If you think about it, for the "sin" to be what destroys the people...all by itself without any help from God...why are there so many sinners today? Why have we not already "self-destructed?"

Do you not think that sin has the power to destroy? The reason sinners do not die today is because of the grace of God! Where sin does abound, the grace of God does much more abound. If not for the grace of God, all would be dead. "To the death of Christ, we owe even this earthly life" (DA 660).

Quote:
If students gave themselves their own grades, they'd all receive straight A's I'm sure.

This doesn't matter. The wicked could give themselves straight A's, and the following would still be true:

Quote:
They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them.

This is the problem! The wicked hate God, and the principles of His government, which is self-sacrificing love. They don't want to live forever with God, or even for a moment with Him. They want to flee from Him! Whether or not they receive straight A's, this is still the case!

Please consider the points EGW makes in DA 21, DA 22. The law of life of the universe is self-sacrificing love. Selfishness can only result in death. This should be very easy to see. How could selfishness possibly sustain life?

Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #105037
11/23/08 12:56 PM
11/23/08 12:56 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

I have read the inspired statements you present. They are all good statements, which I happen to agree with fully. I just don't happen to have interpreted them as you have.

The following two things cannot both be true:

1.God causes the wicked to die.
2.God leaves the wicked to reap the consequences of their own choice, which is death, the inevitable result of sin.

Either God causes the wicked to die, or He leaves them to die. it can't be both.

But it can be and is both.

A criminal chooses whether or not to commit the crime. The criminal may do so in full cognition of the penalty. Continuing in it, however, the criminal chooses the penalty in exchange for the temporary pleasure of the moment. Once the time comes, and he is called to answer for his crime, the criminal recognizes the fairness of his reward. The judge brings down the sentence. The executioner does his duty. The criminal is NOT the executioner. But neither is the executioner responsible for the criminal's wrongs. The criminal has chosen the way of death. But the executioner brought the criminal his chosen reward.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Green Cochoa] #105056
11/23/08 06:36 PM
11/23/08 06:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: No. Not even when He drove out the moneychangers, which was arbitrary, to use your definition. That is, driving them out was not the natural outworking of their sin. It was something Jesus arbitrarily imposed upon them.

T: No, it wasn't. Only those with a guilty conscience left. Many didn't leave. This is actually a perfect illustration of the point I've been making. Jesus did not arbitrarily do something to force them out, but what happened was that "divinity flashed through humanity," and some were driven out by that.

Divinity flashing through humanity did not happen all time; otherwise, nobody could have endured His presence long enough to get a word in edgewise. The point is – their sin did not cause divinity to flash through humanity, nor did it cause Jesus to weave and crack a whip, or to flip over the tables, or to drive them out of the temple. Jesus could have ignored their sins and they would not have fled for their lives, the tables would not have flipped themselves over, the whip would not have weaved and cracked itself.

Quote:
M: There is something else Jesus never did while here - He never withdrew His protection and allowed evil angels to destroy sinners. Does mean God has never done it before?

T: There's quite a number of illustrations of this. The best is probably Jerusalem: “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. (Matt.23:37, 38)

This happened 40 years after Jesus returned to heaven. It didn’t while He was here. You’ve been arguing that Jesus revealed everything we can know about the character of God while here. So, the question still remains – While here Jesus never withdrew His protection and allowed evil angels to destroy sinners. Does this mean God has never done it before?

Quote:
M: Your comments here lead me to ask the two questions posted above (the ones you have yet to answer). My questions are pertinent and relevant to your comments about cruelty. Do you consider it cruel because God employed water and fire to drown and burn people alive?

T: As I've explained, if you are going to bring up questions out of the blue which seem to have nothing to do with the subject at hand, you should provide some motivations for these questions. Simply asserting that they are relevant is not an to the question as to why they are relevant. Why are they relevant? Also, didn't I answer your questions? I said God has never been cruel.

You said it would be cruel for God to burn someone alive. Therefore, I asked the following two questions:

1. Do you think God was being cruel when He drowned alive millions of men, women, and children in the Flood?

2. And, do you think God was being cruel when He burned alive hundreds of men, women, and children in the fires of Sodom?

These questions are relevant in that they speak to your definition of cruelty. How do you define cruelty? How do you define punishment? Can God do things that would be cruel and wrong for us to do? Answering the two questions above would help me understand you comments about cruelty. The following passage sheds light on these questions:

“The plea may be made that a loving Father would not see His children suffering the punishment of God by fire while He had the power to relieve them. But God would, for the good of His subjects and for their safety, punish the transgressor. God does not work on the plan of man. He can do infinite justice that man has no right to do before his fellow man. Noah would have displeased God to have drowned one of the scoffers and mockers that harassed him, but God drowned the vast world. Lot would have had no right to inflict punishment on his sons-in-law, but God would do it in strict justice. {LDE 241.2}

Quote:
M: Also, you seem willing to attribute the judgments of God to Satan. How is this different than what was said and done in the following account. These guys attributed the judgments of God to Satan. They accused Moses and Aaron of using the power of Satan to kill Korah and his band. You seem to be saying the same thing. That is, you seem to be saying it is Satan, not God, who destroys sinners.

"Korah would not have taken the course he did had he known that all the directions and reproofs communicated to Israel were from God. But he might have known this. God had given overwhelming evidence that He was leading Israel. But Korah and his companions rejected light until they became so blinded that the most striking manifestations of His power were not sufficient to convince them; they attributed them all to human or satanic agency. The same thing was done by the people, who the day after the destruction of Korah and his company came to Moses and Aaron, saying, "Ye have killed the people of the Lord." Notwithstanding they had had the most convincing evidence of God's displeasure at their course, in the destruction of the men who had deceived them, they dared to attribute His judgments to Satan, declaring that through the power of the evil one, Moses and Aaron had caused the death of good and holy men. It was this act that sealed their doom. {PP 404.4}

The Bible describes the punishment of the 250 men who sympathized with Korah and found fault with God: "And there came out a fire from the LORD, and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense." Numbers 16:35. Was God being cruel? Did He torture them alive?

T: This reminds me of a bad marriage. When having a discussion about some issue, rather than dealing with the issue, the spouse brings up something from years ago. Please, let's stay on topic!

I’m not sure why you feel bringing up unresolved issues is a sign of a bad marriage or a sign of bad communication, but from what I read and studied in the Bible and the SOP people cannot move onward and upward until they resolve and overcome past problems and mistakes. The reason they keep resurfacing is because they haven’t been properly dealt with. In this case, you keep promising you will explain why these stories in the Bible are interpreted in ways that totally misrepresent the character of God. So far you haven’t fulfilled your promise.

Again, you say God has never been cruel, that He has never burned anyone alive. And yet I’ve posted a story where God burned 250 people alive because they attributed the judgments of God to Satan. Was God being cruel in this case?

Re: The Covenants [Re: teresaq] #105057
11/23/08 06:43 PM
11/23/08 06:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
M: Also, you seem willing to attribute the judgments of God to Satan. How is this different than what was said and done in the following account. You seem to be saying the same thing.

Quote:
Korah would not have taken the course he did had he known that all the directions and reproofs communicated to Israel were from God. But he might have known this. God had given overwhelming evidence that He was leading Israel. But Korah and his companions rejected light until they became so blinded that the most striking manifestations of His power were not sufficient to convince them; they attributed them all to human or satanic agency. The same thing was done by the people, who the day after the destruction of Korah and his company came to Moses and Aaron, saying, "Ye have killed the people of the Lord." Notwithstanding they had had the most convincing evidence of God's displeasure at their course, in the destruction of the men who had deceived them, they dared to attribute His judgments to Satan, declaring that through the power of the evil one, Moses and Aaron had caused the death of good and holy men. It was this act that sealed their doom. {PP 404.4}

Teresaq: this sounds like moses and aaron were accused of calling on satan to execute korah and company.

They were accused of causing the death of good and holy men through the power of the evil one. They dared to attribute the judgments of God to Satan. For this reason God burned them alive. The point is - God burned them alive, not Satan. Do you agree? Or, do you believe, as Tom seems to believe, that Satan is the one who caused them to be burned alive?

Re: The Covenants [Re: kland] #105058
11/23/08 07:21 PM
11/23/08 07:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
K: Would you be bringing up the flood as saying that what God did during the flood is the same as what God will ultimately do to those who reject him?

M: Yes. The same is true of Sodom. In fact, the Bible states it quite nicely, as usual: “But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. . . .”

K: It does sound like if we understand the first death of the one, we can understand the second death of the other? Who were saved on the ark? Were sinners allowed on the ark? Why were those who didn't get on the ark lost? Was it because they couldn't have got on it?

Were all those on the ark righteous? Did their state of sinfulness have anything to do with them dying the first death or not? Was God, through Noah's preaching, attempting to save all who would come onto the ark, sinner or not? Could the coming flood not be affected by whether they got on or stayed off? If they got on the ark and God would save them in spite of their sin, would you call that being cruel when they chose not to heed the warnings of escaping the coming flood?

The Bible compares the end time punishment and destruction of the wicked to the punishment and destruction of the antediluvians and the sodomites. In so doing, I believe we are to conclude the same principles and dynamics apply. Those who refused to heed the final warning perished.

Quote:
24:38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
24:39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

K: Who or what came to take them all away?

The flood. The question is – What caused the flood that killed millions of sinners? And why? Did their sins trigger the forces of nature? Or, did God simply stop holding back the impending forces of nature? Or, did God step aside and allow Satan to employ the forces of nature? Or, did God employ the forces of nature? I believe the latter is true. What do you believe?

Quote:
M: God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked.

K: But you said before: “Yes, He is pleased law and justice are served and satisfied, but not pleased sinners neglect heaven-sent opportunities for learning the way of peace and righteousness, not pleased they reject Jesus.”

If law and justice result in the death of the wicked, and He is pleased law and justice are served, wouldn't it follow that He is pleased in the result of the death of the wicked?

Yes, He will be pleased with the results of their death. Again, He will not be pleased they chose to neglect or reject Jesus. Nor will He take pleasure in watching them suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness. Do you agree?

Quote:
K: I hear you saying –

* God would like people to accept Him.
* He gives them opportunities to learn about Him and accept Him.
* However, if they still reject Him, He punishes them even though it is too late to teach, correct, or lead them in the way they should go.
* God then takes great pleasure in His "strange act" of ..... (I'm not sure what you would put here)

M: Again, what is your definition of punishment and how does that fit in with what you think God does to those who reject Him? God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked. The purpose of punishment is to satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice. It serves as a deterrent against evil. If sin kills sinners then the record would reflect God ceasing to keep them alive supernaturally and allowing sin to run its course. However, the Bible describes God as the One who will punish and destroy sinners in the lake of fire - not sin. Such punishment is neither cruel nor torture. It is justice.

K: Sounds like the dictator mentality of there really being no choice.

What do you mean? Are you implying God is a dictator if He doesn’t give the wicked a choice in how they are punished and destroyed?

Page 39 of 71 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 70 71

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!