HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,632
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H), 3,417 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
Re: Lesson #8 - Born of a Woman—Atonement and the INCARNATION [Re: Colin] #105090
11/24/08 05:30 PM
11/24/08 05:30 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
As for your opinion of yourself, you're welcome to it, but you remain a new school of thought...theological thought.
Quote:
We have nothing to fear for the future except we forget the way the Lord has led us, AND HIS TEACHING, in our past

Written in the 20th century, not her precise wording, but you reckon Francis Nicol, Kenneth Wood and Herbert Douglass got it wrong, or just the no-called Independent Ministries?

Of all the works I have read, both from conservative and liberal, inspired and uninspired, you are the only one I have seen to say that Jesus was immoral in any way. You are unique, AFAIK.

Unless you can find some quote in the Bible or SOP that say Jesus was immoral, I must conclude that you have strayed from His teaching in our past.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #8 - Born of a Woman—Atonement and the INCARNATION [Re: Colin] #105094
11/24/08 06:31 PM
11/24/08 06:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
Jesus' humanity was sinful, defiled and degenerate, but his mind was "righteous", indwelled by his Father's Spirit from birth - an indwelling from such an age remaining a mystery equal to the incarnation and not for us to fathom.

Amen! Here are a few more pointed quotes:

In your letter in regard to the temptations of Christ, you say: "If He was One with God He could not fall." . . . The point you inquire of me is, In our Lord's great scene of conflict in the wilderness, apparently under the power of Satan and his angels, was He capable, in His human nature, of yielding to these temptations? {3SM 129.2}

I will try to answer this important question: As God He could not be tempted: but as a man He could be tempted, and that strongly, and could yield to the temptations. His human nature must pass through the same test and trial Adam and Eve passed through. His human nature was created; it did not even possess the angelic powers. It was human, identical with our own. He was passing over the ground where Adam fell. He was now where, if He endured the test and trial in behalf of the fallen race, He would redeem Adam's disgraceful failure and fall, in our own humanity. {3SM 129.3}

Christ's perfect humanity is the same that man may have through connection with Christ. As God, Christ could not be tempted any more than He was not tempted from His allegiance in heaven. But as Christ humbled Himself to the nature of man, He could be tempted. He had not taken on Him even the nature of the angels, but humanity, perfectly identical with our own nature, except without the taint of sin. A human body, a human mind, with all the peculiar properties, He was bone, brain, and muscle. A man of our flesh, He was compassed with the weakness of humanity. The circumstances of His life were of that character that He was exposed to all the inconveniences that belong to men, not in wealth, not in ease, but in poverty and want and humiliation. He breathed the very air man must breathe. He trod our earth as man. He had reason, conscience, memory, will, and affections of the human soul which was united with His divine nature. {16MR 181.4}

Our Lord was tempted as man is tempted. He was capable of yielding to temptations, as are human beings. His finite nature was pure and spotless, but the divine nature that led Him to say to Philip, "He that hath seen Me hath seen the Father" also, was not humanized; neither was humanity deified by the blending or union of the two natures; each retained its essential character and properties. {16MR 182.1}

But here we must not become in our ideas common and earthly, and in our perverted ideas we must not think that the liability of Christ to yield to Satan's temptations degraded His humanity and He possessed the same sinful, corrupt propensities as man. {16MR 182.2}

The divine nature, combined with the human, made Him capable of yielding to Satan's temptations. Here the test to Christ was far greater than that of Adam and Eve, for Christ took our nature, fallen but not corrupted, and would not be corrupted unless He received the words of Satan in the place of the words of God. To suppose He was not capable of yielding to temptation places Him where He cannot be a perfect example for man, and the force and the power of this part of Christ's humiliation, which is the most eventful, is no instruction or help to human beings. {16MR 182.3}

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #8 - Born of a Woman—Atonement and the INCARNATION [Re: Mountain Man] #105095
11/24/08 06:32 PM
11/24/08 06:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - What did Ellen mean when she wrote (quoted above) - ". . . we must not think that the liability of Christ to yield to Satan's temptations degraded His humanity and He possessed the same sinful, corrupt propensities as man."

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #8 - Born of a Woman—Atonement and the INCARNATION [Re: asygo] #105096
11/24/08 06:34 PM
11/24/08 06:34 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
You've ignored my last post: Jesus' flesh was inclined to sin, therefore sinful, so basically immoral, except he never accepted it...so save your exasperation and deal with that SOP quote.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #8 - Born of a Woman—Atonement and the INCARNATION [Re: Mountain Man] #105097
11/24/08 06:38 PM
11/24/08 06:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The following quote explains just how "identical" Jesus was like us and how we are like Him. Jesus became like us to prove it is possible for us to be like Him.

We are ever to be thankful that Jesus has proved to us by actual facts that man can keep the commandments of God, giving contradiction to Satan's falsehood that man cannot keep them. The Great Teacher came to our world to stand at the head of humanity, to thus elevate and sanctify humanity by His holy obedience to all of God's requirements showing it is possible to obey all the commandments of God. He has demonstrated that a lifelong obedience is possible. Thus He gives chosen, representative men to the world, as the Father gave the Son, to exemplify in their life the life of Jesus Christ. {3SM 139.2}

We need not place the obedience of Christ by itself as something for which He was particularly adapted, by His particular divine nature, for He stood before God as man's representative and tempted as man's substitute and surety. If Christ had a special power which it is not the privilege of man to have, Satan would have made capital of this matter. The work of Christ was to take from the claims of Satan his control of man, and He could do this only in the way that He came--a man, tempted as a man, rendering the obedience of a man. . . . {3SM 139.3}

Bear in mind that Christ's overcoming and obedience is that of a true human being. In our conclusions, we make many mistakes because of our erroneous views of the human nature of our Lord. When we give to His human nature a power that it is not possible for man to have in his conflicts with Satan, we destroy the completeness of His humanity. His imputed grace and power He gives to all who receive Him by faith. The obedience of Christ to His Father was the same obedience that is required of man. {3SM 139.4}

Man cannot overcome Satan's temptations without divine power to combine with His instrumentality. So with Jesus Christ, He could lay hold of divine power. He came not to our world to give the obedience of a lesser God to a greater, but as a man to obey God's Holy Law, and in this way He is our example. {3SM 140.1}

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #8 - Born of a Woman—Atonement and the INCARNATION [Re: Colin] #105110
11/25/08 01:59 AM
11/25/08 01:59 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
We now have a 3rd entrant.

Tom: Jesus' humanity was amoral.
Arnold: Jesus' humanity was moral.
Colin: Jesus' humanity was immoral.

I'd sooner go with Tom's assertion of amorality than with the idea that Jesus was immoral in any way, aside from our immorality that was imputed to Him as the Lamb.

I never said Jesus' humanity was amoral. I would say it was moral. Colin, in saying Christ's humanity was immoral was clearly referring to Christ's assumed sinful nature, which is using the term "humanity" differently that Ellen White did, but Colin's intent is easy to discern.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #8 - Born of a Woman—Atonement and the INCARNATION [Re: Tom] #105111
11/25/08 02:06 AM
11/25/08 02:06 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Of all the works I have read, both from conservative and liberal, inspired and uninspired, you are the only one I have seen to say that Jesus was immoral in any way. You are unique, AFAIK.

Unless you can find some quote in the Bible or SOP that say Jesus was immoral, I must conclude that you have strayed from His teaching in our past.

Colin did not say Jesus was immoral. The human nature which Christ assumed is called our "sinful nature." It's also called human nature, "degraded and defiled by sin." Obviously this is what Colin is talking about. For Christ to be immoral, He would have had to do something immoral, and Colin has not in the least suggested this.

Colin mentioned Zurcher's book a couple of times. It's an excellent book. Have you read it?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #8 - Born of a Woman—Atonement and the INCARNATION [Re: Tom] #105115
11/25/08 02:40 AM
11/25/08 02:40 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Tom,

Colin said, "Jesus' flesh was inclined to sin, therefore sinful, so basically immoral..." I think I'll take his word over yours. I assume he knows better what he's thinking.

No, I haven't read Zurcher's book. I haven't been able to find it. But I hear it is detailed account of what SDAs believed. But since I'm neither a conservative nor an apologist, I have lost interest in it. Rather than discovering or defending what we used to believe, I prefer discovering and disseminating what we should believe. And I search for that in authoritative sources.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #8 - Born of a Woman—Atonement and the INCARNATION [Re: asygo] #105122
11/25/08 04:26 AM
11/25/08 04:26 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Arnold, you may take Tom's word for what I wrote, as I approve of it.

Also, your search in authoritative sources for what we should believe is doomed to frustration. Zurcher is/was (I fear he has passed away) as official as Arnold Wallenkampf - both members of the GC BRI, Zurcher at the Euro-Africa Division in Bern. That he could document a change in our theology, confirmed by Kenneth Wood - who wrote the foreword of the English translation of the French, which change altered our soteriology, renders our authoritative sources subject to comparison with what went before 1980, 1950...

Or do you look at authoritative going back to 1846?...Is EGW authoritative? - that quote?...

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #8 - Born of a Woman—Atonement and the INCARNATION [Re: Colin] #105125
11/25/08 08:45 AM
11/25/08 08:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
No, I haven't read Zurcher's book. I haven't been able to find it. But I hear it is detailed account of what SDAs believed. But since I'm neither a conservative nor an apologist, I have lost interest in it.

How about simply being interested in investigating the truth? The truth has nothing to fear from investigation.

Why should one need to be a conservative or an apologist to be interested in what SDAs believed? Ellen White was an SDA! It's just not intellectually viable to ignore the testimony of history when investigating truth.

Ellen White, for example, endorsed a post-lapsarian sermon as "truth separated from error." This is part of the historical record.

One can't simply cherry pick one's favorite quotes. Both sides of any disagreement tend to be guilty of this. Investigating the historical context in which debated statements were made can resolve the controversy. Everyone agrees Ellen White did not contradict herself. How do we explain, if not by considering the historical context, the seeming contradictions in such sources as the Baker letter and quotes like the one Colin has been asking you about:

Quote:
-In Christ were united the divine and the human--the Creator and the creature. The nature of God, whose law had been transgressed, and the nature of Adam, the transgressor, meet in Jesus--the Son of God, and the Son of man.(7 SDABC 926)

Or this well-known one:

Quote:
It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man's nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life. (DA 49)

What are the results shown in the history of Christ's earthly ancestors? Adultery, prostitution, murder; every sort of vice and sin. This was the heredity which Christ accepted, like all the rest of us. Ellen White's reasoning here is nearly identical to Waggoner's in the 1901 GCB where he argued against the teaching of the Holy Flesh.

Ellen White's strongest statements regarding the human nature of Christ were in the context of arguing against the Holy Flesh movement. For example, she wrote, in this context, that Christ's human nature was "degraded and defiled by sin."

An interesting thing to note in regards to the Holy Flesh heresy is how the SDA's of the time chose to meet it. As S. N. Haskell characterized the teaching:

Quote:
Their point of theology in this particular respect seems to be this: They believe that Christ took Adam’s nature before He fell; so He took humanity as it was in the garden of Eden; and thus humanity was holy, and this was the humanity which Christ had; and now, they say, the particular time has come for us to become holy in that same sense, and then we will have "translation faith"; and never die"

Now if someone like you, for example, were to meet this error, you would simply point out that it was wrong because we keep our sinful natures until Christ's return. You wouldn't argue that the Holy Flesh people were wrong because Christ took the nature of Adam after the fall. But this is how the SDA's of the time argued, including Ellen White!

That Ellen White was a part of this is very significant. Ellen White stated the following:

Quote:
It is important that in defending the doctrines which we consider fundamental articles of faith we should never allow ourselves to employ arguments that are not wholly sound. These may avail to silence an opposer but they do not honor the truth. We should present sound arguments, that will not only silence our opponents, but will bear the closest and most searching scrutiny. (5T 707, 708)

Her integrity would be zilch if she believed the argument of S. N. Haskell's and the others meeting the Holy Flesh ideas were unsound, which is exactly what the position you are taking in regards to her teachings regarding Christ's human nature would require.

Reply Quote
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/15/24 09:27 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!