HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, Kevin H), 3,316 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
Re: Lesson #8 - Born of a Woman—Atonement and the INCARNATION [Re: Tom] #105158
11/26/08 12:38 AM
11/26/08 12:38 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
An interesting thing to note in regards to the Holy Flesh heresy is how the SDA's of the time chose to meet it. As S. N. Haskell characterized the teaching:

Quote:
Their point of theology in this particular respect seems to be this: They believe that Christ took Adam’s nature before He fell; so He took humanity as it was in the garden of Eden; and thus humanity was holy, and this was the humanity which Christ had; and now, they say, the particular time has come for us to become holy in that same sense, and then we will have "translation faith"; and never die"

Now if someone like you, for example, were to meet this error, you would simply point out that it was wrong because we keep our sinful natures until Christ's return. You wouldn't argue that the Holy Flesh people were wrong because Christ took the nature of Adam after the fall. But this is how the SDA's of the time argued, including Ellen White!

That Ellen White was a part of this is very significant. Ellen White stated the following:

Quote:
It is important that in defending the doctrines which we consider fundamental articles of faith we should never allow ourselves to employ arguments that are not wholly sound. These may avail to silence an opposer but they do not honor the truth. We should present sound arguments, that will not only silence our opponents, but will bear the closest and most searching scrutiny. (5T 707, 708)

Her integrity would be zilch if she believed the argument of S. N. Haskell's and the others meeting the Holy Flesh ideas were unsound, which is exactly what the position you are taking in regards to her teachings regarding Christ's human nature would require.

Obviously, you have no idea what my position is, since I fully agree with Haskell's statement. You'd be better off speaking for others.

I could have sworn that I mentioned somewhere that Jesus had a fallen nature....

I could have sworn that I mentioned somewhere that if we are speaking of "nature" in the amoral postlapsarian sense, that Christ's was the same as ours....

You probably missed them.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #8 - Born of a Woman—Atonement and the INCARNATION [Re: asygo] #105159
11/26/08 01:19 AM
11/26/08 01:19 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
I remember those statements - for most of those you were replying to me! - not just Tom.

Have only one question: what is the "amoral postlapsarian" view of human nature? - it's not an angle on sinful humanity I'm familiar with! I'm aware you support the 1980 voted belief, especially its published explanation; "fallen humanity" for you isn't our fallen nature since it's morally strong: is that Biblical? - for it isn't a founding SDA belief, though - 4u - it needn't be...but is it Biblical: it is a modern, alternative, as admitted last year, so how is it Adventist at all really, or worth anything?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #8 - Born of a Woman—Atonement and the INCARNATION [Re: Colin] #105166
11/26/08 02:28 AM
11/26/08 02:28 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Arnold, you refer to post-lapsarians as "you guys." Well, S. N. Haskell was one of "us guys."

I can't think of anything S. N. Haskell wrote on the subject that I would disagree with. I would say the same thing in regards to W. W. Prescott, A. T. Jones and E. J. Waggoner. Do you agree with these guys?

From everything you've written, you strike me as a typical pre-lapsarian. I apologize if I've misunderstood you, but does your position differ from Stephen Wallace, for example? Or Woodrow Whidden?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #8 - Born of a Woman—Atonement and the INCARNATION [Re: Tom] #105176
11/26/08 03:30 AM
11/26/08 03:30 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA

Quote:
It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man's nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life. (DA 49)

Quote:
Their point of theology in this particular respect seems to be this: They believe that Christ took Adam’s nature before He fell; so He took humanity as it was in the garden of Eden; and thus humanity was holy, and this was the humanity which Christ had; and now, they say, the particular time has come for us to become holy in that same sense, and then we will have "translation faith"; and never die"

hello gentlemen. smile

for me, it seems to be how one reads those statements. when i read them by myself, i didnt read, or "see" what some seem to read/"see" them say.

im not sure how haskells quote is being read but the point he seems to be making is that the holy flesh people believed we can, somehow, on this side of eternity have "holy flesh" as well as a holy mind. hes just showing the reasoning leading up to the wrong conclusion.

i know what im trying to say but i dont know if i got that point across.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #8 - Born of a Woman—Atonement and the INCARNATION [Re: Colin] #105177
11/26/08 03:51 AM
11/26/08 03:51 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
what is the "amoral postlapsarian" view of human nature? - it's not an angle on sinful humanity I'm familiar with!

You will have to ask Tom, as I won't presume to explain a belief which I do not hold, or even understand. Read post #105007 in this thread for starters.

I'm aware you support the 1980 voted belief, especially its published explanation

Well, that makes one of us, since I didn't know I support it! You're way ahead of me already, knowing more about my beliefs than I do.

"fallen humanity" for you isn't our fallen nature since it's morally strong: is that Biblical?

"Moral perfection is required of all." I do believe that Jesus met that requirement from birth to death.

Whether or not that is a Biblical requirement is a long and tiresome debate that is a settled fact for those who believe EGW. That's why I regard as error any assertion that Jesus was morally imperfect in any way.

for it isn't a founding SDA belief, though - 4u - it needn't be...

You are correct there. Here's an SDA belief that trumps most everything else:
Quote:
There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. {RH, December 20, 1892 par. 1}

but is it Biblical: it is a modern, alternative, as admitted last year, so how is it Adventist at all really, or worth anything?

At issue, as far as I'm concerned, is Christ's moral perfection. And closely tied to that is the moral perfection that is available to us through His. Is that Biblical? Many do not think so. But I believe that it is fundamental to the Gospel.

So if someone says Christ is immoral, I say that is wrong.

If someone wants to discuss something that has nothing to do with morality, I say that is irrelevant.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #8 - Born of a Woman—Atonement and the INCARNATION [Re: Tom] #105178
11/26/08 03:56 AM
11/26/08 03:56 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Arnold, you refer to post-lapsarians as "you guys." Well, S. N. Haskell was one of "us guys."

I can't think of anything S. N. Haskell wrote on the subject that I would disagree with. I would say the same thing in regards to W. W. Prescott, A. T. Jones and E. J. Waggoner. Do you agree with these guys?

From everything you've written, you strike me as a typical pre-lapsarian. I apologize if I've misunderstood you, but does your position differ from Stephen Wallace, for example? Or Woodrow Whidden?

I don't know. I don't think those guys spent a whole lot of time wrestling over things that are "not a matter of morality," as modern postlapsarians do.

Anyway, please give a short definition of postlapsarian and prelapsarian, then I'll tell you if I agree with your assessment of me, Wallace, and Whidden. By my definition, and my understanding of what they teach, we are not prelapsarian. And Jones was not postlapsarian, as he made a very critical distinction between Jesus and post-fall Adam.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #8 - Born of a Woman—Atonement and the INCARNATION [Re: asygo] #105182
11/26/08 04:34 AM
11/26/08 04:34 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Christ's CHARACTER is the evidence of his "moral perfection"; "the mind of Christ", ie. the Holy Spirit in his spiritual, human life, is the basis of that character display. His fallen humanity was sinful, degraded, defiled, inclined to sin and captive to that inclination - depraved, but for the power of the Spirit through the "faith of Jesus" such that "the just requirements of the law were fulfilled" in him, and compatible with our spiritual set up to facilitate Rom 8:4 in our lives. Only by taking the sinful first Adam's place could he be Second Adam of our sinful race to redeem & restore us to God's glory in this life & forever more.

You don't think Jesus could produce a perfectly righteous character by taking a human nature defiled and infected by sin - he couldn't avoid corrupting it and himself had he taken exactly what we as Christians naturally & spiritually have - sinful flesh and the power of God?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #8 - Born of a Woman—Atonement and the INCARNATION [Re: asygo] #105183
11/26/08 05:09 AM
11/26/08 05:09 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Yes, you and eg. Whidden are neither, nor, for "sinful but without sin" is a hybrid which sadly is unknown ro the Bible! Jones famously insisted on Jesus' sinful flesh "bu don't drag his mind into it!" he said.

Why do you think those who defend & teach the original Adventist position on Christ's humanity don't study "matters of morality" in relation o it? - surely Tom's comment earlier hasn't confused you totally on our position?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #8 - Born of a Woman—Atonement and the INCARNATION [Re: Colin] #105185
11/26/08 05:24 AM
11/26/08 05:24 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Christ's CHARACTER is the evidence of his "moral perfection"; "the mind of Christ", ie. the Holy Spirit in his spiritual, human life, is the basis of that character display.

Is that not part of our human nature - our character? If the character is removed from a man, is he still a man?

Is not morals a crucial element of what it means to be human? Can one be said to have "human nature" if his moral aspects are removed? Without the moral nature, what is man but a hairless beast?

His fallen humanity was sinful, degraded, defiled, inclined to sin and captive to that inclination - depraved...

Inclined to sin. Much can be said there, but I'll leave that for another time.

Let's look at your assertion that Christ's fallen humanity was depraved, as we all know fallen Adam's humanity was depraved.

From the 1828 Webster's dictionary, which was close enough to EGW's time to still have the same meaning for her:
Quote:
depraved
1. Made bad or worse; vitiated; tainted; corrupted.
2. A. Corrupt; wicked; destitute of holiness or good principles.

depravity
1. Corruption; a vitiated state; as the depravity of manners and morals.
2. A vitiated state of the heart; wickedness; corruption of moral principles; destitution of holiness or good principles.

Note the moral implications of depravity.

Some more. SOP this time:
Quote:
Selfishness is the essence of depravity, and because human beings have yielded to its power, the opposite of allegiance to God is seen in the world today. {RH, June 25, 1908 par. 1}

Men are selfish by nature. {RH, January 6, 1891 par. 7}

Our hearts are by nature evil, and how, then, can they bring forth that which is good? {GCB, March 5, 1895 par. 32}

Isn't selfishness a moral quality? Furthermore, was Jesus selfish, as the rest of depraved humanity is by nature? Did He have a nature that was evil and incapable of bringing forth that which is good?

You don't think Jesus could produce a perfectly righteous character by taking a human nature defiled and infected by sin - he couldn't avoid corrupting it and himself had he taken exactly what we as Christians naturally & spiritually have - sinful flesh and the power of God?

Can a napkin permeated by water avoid being wet? What if it was very careful? What if it was more powerful?

You question suggests the belief that sin is a matter of one's actions. Though one can certainly sin through actions, sin runs much deeper than that. At its core, sin is a moral issue.

That is what Jesus came to solve. When man fell, his greatest need was not power, but propitiation. God's power does much, but it is of no consequence without His propitiation.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #8 - Born of a Woman—Atonement and the INCARNATION [Re: asygo] #105188
11/26/08 06:12 AM
11/26/08 06:12 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
In my previous post I listed redemption ahead of restoration deliberately because we have to die to self & sin before we can harness the power of God for righteousness.

Did Jesus not die daily to self and his assumed, sinful nature, as he gave example for us to die daily?

I listed depraved because that is humanity without the power of God - captive to its own sinfulness: with the power of agape our sinfulness is defeated by choice. We sin because we're sinful, not because we're sinners! The Bible states Jesus took the nature of Abraham & David: the small fry of unintentional sins and that sort of issue is not our concern with Jesus, who was tempted ''in all points'' like we are, and his resounding victory over our sinfulness is ours for the asking.

The investigative judgement is all about getting into our lives every bit of his righteous experience that he wants us to have: Christian perfection, which he is! - which we are to reflect, the glory of God the Father.

Both our redemption & our restoration depend on the humanity of Christ being correct as on his divine Sonship being real rather than contrived by his incarnation.

Strange how we appear to want the same end of the Gospel but don't quite agree on the means! We'll see where this thread goes, eh.

Reply Quote
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!