HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 42 of 71 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 70 71
Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #105247
11/27/08 05:42 PM
11/27/08 05:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
kland pointed out that God had to do something in order to make the land separate from the waters. Thus there's an implication that the natural order of things is that water be pre-eminent, not land. Thus in order for the Flood to occur, all that would be necessary would be for God to stop doing what He did to make the land separate from the waters, and things would start to revert back to where they originated from.

Please post inspired passages to support your theory. Thank you. Otherwise, it is just your opinion.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #105261
11/27/08 07:52 PM
11/27/08 07:52 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, who wrote that story? It's too bad you cannot cite an inspired passage that unequivocally substantiates your theory. Instead, you post unrelated passages and glean principles you insist applies to every other story in the Bible. Again, it's too bad you cannot post inspired passages to confirm your theory.

Please refer to the comment below which discusses how you are, IMO, going about this in the wrong way.

Quote:
Nowhere in the Bible or the SOP does it say God commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer because that's what the sin hardened Jews were expecting. And yet you insist this is the case.

MM, please quote something I've actually written. Where do I even state, let alone "insist" on what you alleging?

Quote:
In fact, the opposite is true. The Jews didn't know what to do. They weren't eager to kill them. Please, Tom, just post one inspired quote which plainly says this is why God commanded Moses to kill those two guys.

MM, you're going about this in the wrong way, IMO. You're looking at the Bible as if it were a code book, as if we were robots set to receive instructions. Rather than this, the Bible should be seen as a case history of how God has revealed Himself to man. You can't just grab isolated incidents and jump to conclusions and hope to get a right picture this way. The Bible as a whole should be considered, comparing line upon line.

Satan has misrepresented God's character. He has sought to represent God as severe and harsh. Religious people, especially, seem to buy into this picture. Jesus Christ came to reveal what God was really like. Until Jesus Christ came, God was misunderstood. It was to enlighten this misunderstanding that Jesus came. The whole purpose of His mission was the revelation of God. Even holy angels were amazed by what they saw. They still are. Until Christ came, even they were confused by Satan and his claims. The OT had not been sufficient for them to clarify the issues. They needed the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Quote:
Not until the death of Christ was the character of Satan clearly revealed to the angels or to the unfallen worlds. The archapostate had so clothed himself with deception that even holy beings had not understood his principles. They had not clearly seen the nature of his rebellion. (DA 235)

Now if even holy angels needed the revelation of Jesus Christ, why should we think we sinful humans didn't need it?

Quote:
Also, please explain why a loving God would consent to command Moses to kill two people. Why would He give in to pressure like that? The Jews weren't even sure what to do? Why didn't God take advntage of their uncertainty and denonstrate the truth?

The principles to answer your questions are in the story I cited. As I've been saying, I can't explain it better than that. If you can't understand the answer to your questions from that explanation, then, as I've been saying, we'll just have to "agree to disagree."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #105387
12/01/08 04:37 PM
12/01/08 04:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, the DA 758 quote you posted does not say the holy angels needed to behold Christ and Him crucified to clear up certain misunderstandings they had concerning the law and love of God.

Your "humane hunter" story does not explain why God commanded Moses to kill two sinners. Nor does it explain all the other stories where God commanded Jews to kill people. First of all, it is not a sin to hunt. Second, it does not violate the law to teach people how to hunt humanely.

Asking me to read your "humane hunter" story, to understand why God commanded Moses to kill those two guys, seems to imply that He taught the Jews how to kill sinners in the most humane manner.

The question is - Did God compromise to accommodate sin? In particular, did He teach the Jews how to humanely kill those two sinners? If so, why? Why didn't He teach them the truth instead, especially since they weren't sure what to do with them and they specifically asked God what would be the right thing to do?

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #105390
12/01/08 05:22 PM
12/01/08 05:22 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, the DA 758 quote you posted does not say the holy angels needed to behold Christ and Him crucified to clear up certain misunderstandings they had concerning the law and love of God.

The quote points out that Christ's death was not just for us, but for the angels and unfallen worlds as well. Christ's death resolved the Great Controversy. The chapter goes into depth explaining this. There are other passages as well which point out that apart from the cross, the angels would be no more secure than they were before Lucifer rebelled.

Quote:
Your "humane hunter" story does not explain why God commanded Moses to kill two sinners.

Yes it does, but apparently you're not understanding how.

Quote:
Nor does it explain all the other stories where God commanded Jews to kill people. First of all, it is not a sin to hunt. Second, it does not violate the law to teach people how to hunt humanely.

It just looks like you're not getting the point.

Quote:
Asking me to read your "humane hunter" story, to understand why God commanded Moses to kill those two guys, seems to imply that He taught the Jews how to kill sinners in the most humane manner.

Yes, you're not getting it. I'm sorry about that.

Quote:
The question is - Did God compromise to accommodate sin? In particular, did He teach the Jews how to humanely kill those two sinners? If so, why? Why didn't He teach them the truth instead, especially since they weren't sure what to do with them and they specifically asked God what would be the right thing to do?

We're just going to have to skip this, I think.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #105392
12/01/08 05:26 PM
12/01/08 05:26 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
MM, sorry I have to do this, but I do this as a demonstration. I believe you have unfairly accused me of something and I wish to demonstrate how the same could be said about you. I'm not saying that is right, nor am I say these are my views towards you. Just another example of a different presumed premise.

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Also, it is unfair of you to characterize my views about the wrath of God as unloving and unkind. It is critical and judgmental - attributes I'm sure you loathe. Please refrain from saying things that are unloving and unkind. Thank you.

I think Tom as articulately addressed this. What I'd like to ask is why did you employ that construct? You do not seem to be the overly sensitive type. Why you used this, I do not know; although I do have an opinion.

As far as saying things unloving and unkind goes, I took offense at some things you have said which I thought was a little rude. I think Tom gave good advice regarding how you could address my comments (Of course I would! wink ) -- either by arguing you are not taking the presumed premise or that such premise does not preclude a loving and kind God. I will attempt to take this advice in addressing support for my claim of you being critical, judgmental, unloving, unkind, and rude. I realize that if this is true, that in no way says your claims of likewise are not true. Neither does it give justification of others doing the same. I am only pointing out that while my intent was not to be unloving nor unkind to you, using the same measuring stick, one could conclude it about you. To disagree with someone is to be "critical and judgmental" of their views. Otherwise they would be in agreement. So, except for the following, all I saw was discussion of ideas.

Quote:
You are wrong, Tom, dead wrong. There is more I disagree with than what you say.

Quote:
Tom has proven nothing but his own opinion.

Quote:
Whatever. I've clearly addressed this question and you refuse to believe me. What more can I say to dissuade you from believing a lie?

Tom may be wrong. Tom may believe a lie. But the way you said it comes across that he was intentional misleading and that you know the truth and everyone else should see it clearly.

Could it be that your quote of:
Quote:
"God has given in His word decisive evidence that He will punish the transgressors of His law.

conflicts with what you have said, thus leading towards your claim of unfairness and your further statement:
Quote:
The punishment and destruction of the wicked in the lake of fire does not serve to educate or enlighten the wicked. Instead, it serves to educate and enlighten righteous FMAs throughout God's far flung Universe.

Do you see a problem that if God punishes the transgressors, but the punishment serves to educate the righteous (not sure what FMAs are), then the righteous must be the transgressors, or that perhaps you are saying that one person's punishment helps another? One person's torture is for another's benefit? Hitler said the same.
Do you have inspired passages which state the God's direct punishment of the wicked serves to educate and enlighten the righteous?

Quote:
Originally Posted By: kland

Do you deny the possibility of either God stop holding back, or allowing Satan to take over?

Please post inspired passages which say so. Thank you.

Did Adam and Eve kiss? Did they have sex? Please post inspired passages which say so. Do you see the absurdity of needing a direct quote for the possibility of anything to have happened?

Tom has an opinion. He has given passages to support it.
You have an opinion. You have given passages to support it.
I have an opinion that you have given more passages. In fact, direct questions you have answered with nothing but quotations. Like a "code book"?
I have asked, how does one decide. I have suggested it is from our own presumed premise. You have cried foul. You have yet to support that claim. Do you suggest, as implicated by your posts, that we should decide the truth based upon the number of passages supporting each opinion?

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #105394
12/01/08 05:39 PM
12/01/08 05:39 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
The punishment and destruction of the wicked in the lake of fire does not serve to educate or enlighten the wicked. Instead, it serves to educate and enlighten righteous FMAs throughout God's far flung Universe.

Quote:
  • However, if sin doesn't punish sinners, then the first death does not serve to satisfy law and justice.
  • The reason God must resurrect them is due to the fact the first death does not satisfy the demands of law and justice, namely, punishment "according to their works".
  • They will praise the justice of God. They will not find pleasure in the fact the wicked are being punished according to their sinfulness.

I don't believe anything needs said here.

Quote:
I do not believe God finds pleasure in punishing people. Circumstances forces Him to do it, but He is not willing that any should perish. Yes, He is pleased law and justice are served and satisfied, but not pleased sinners neglect heaven-sent opportunities for learning the way of peace and righteousness, not pleased they reject Jesus.

He is forced to execute the law, even though He does not wish to? Suppose someone received a speeding ticket. They go before the judge. The judge has mercy and cancels it. But yet, you say God cannot change some law which He is not happy about executing, and takes great pleasure in seeing that it is satisfied? Love - mercy. Not sure how to reconcile this.

Quote:
However, the Bible describes God as the One who will punish and destroy sinners in the lake of fire - not sin. Such punishment is neither cruel nor torture. It is justice.

And in what way could God act that could be considered cruel or torture? Just saying that God is holy and therefore nothing He does is cruel doesn't answer the question.

Quote:
Also, please explain why a loving God would consent to command Moses to kill two people.

Not sure if I missed something here, but it sounds like you saying that if God was loving, He wouldn't say to kill people. However since He did, He is not loving.

Since you think my views of your views are wrong, that you see God as not loving and kind, maybe you could state exactly what your views are of God. That is, since you did not answer my question, put your views into my question and then answer it. You do see your views are different than mine. I'm asking, why do you choose a presumed premise which precludes a fill in your view of God here God rather than my view of God who lets the flood waters come back, who is always consistent, never taking emergency measures, lets the wicked reap their results, who never directly kills them....

From what I've seen, the reason is because you do not find a specific direct quote which you interpret that way. Is that the reason?

Re: The Covenants [Re: kland] #105396
12/01/08 05:44 PM
12/01/08 05:44 PM
J
jibb444  Offline
Posting New Member
Indiana, USA
Excuse me for breaking in here but I have read through this thread and it appears that some of you believe that God doesn't punish sinners. How could that possibly be true? Would God be just if everyone no matter to what degree they sinned were punished exactly the same. That would not only be unjust to the sinners but likewise to the saved. Could you imagine going to court for a speeding ticket and getting the same punishment as someone who committed murder? God is love because he sent his son to die for our sins so that we may be saved but he is also just which by definition is fair wether your lost or saved.

just   
–adjective 1. guided by truth, reason, justice, and fairness: We hope to be just in our understanding of such difficult situations.
2. done or made according to principle; equitable; proper: a just reply.
3. based on right; rightful; lawful: a just claim.
4. in keeping with truth or fact; true; correct: a just analysis.
5. given or awarded rightly; deserved, as a sentence, punishment, or reward: a just penalty.
6. in accordance with standards or requirements; proper or right: just proportions.
7. (esp. in Biblical use) righteous.
8. actual, real, or genuine.

Last edited by jibb444; 12/01/08 05:55 PM.
Re: The Covenants [Re: jibb444] #105397
12/01/08 06:23 PM
12/01/08 06:23 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
jibb444, I don't think anyone on this thread believes God won't punish people, although there is a difference of opinion as to what this means and how it will occur. Perhaps you could quote some statement by someone, and then make a comment or ask a question about that.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #105398
12/01/08 06:40 PM
12/01/08 06:40 PM
J
jibb444  Offline
Posting New Member
Indiana, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
jibb444, I don't think anyone on this thread believes God won't punish people, although there is a difference of opinion as to what this means and how it will occur. Perhaps you could quote some statement by someone, and then make a comment or ask a question about that.

Thanks Tom for the invite. I'll ask a question. Is there degrees of punishment for the wicked? Just to clarify I do have an opinion on this but I am learning everyday and always keep an open mind.

Re: The Covenants [Re: jibb444] #105401
12/01/08 07:07 PM
12/01/08 07:07 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think everyone on this site would agree that there are degrees of punishment for the wicked. I have met people who do not have this opinion, but do not think anyone posting here has it. Again, however, there is a difference of opinion as to what this means, or how this will occur.

Page 42 of 71 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 70 71

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!