HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,641
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, daylily, dedication), 3,117 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
What is a Peacemaker? #10555
03/04/04 10:57 PM
03/04/04 10:57 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Matthew 5:9 says, "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God."

What is a peacemaker?

Re: What is a Peacemaker? #10556
03/05/04 12:36 AM
03/05/04 12:36 AM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Should we not know what "peace" is first?

I like this from EGW:

"This peace is not the peace that comes through conformity to the world. Christ never purchased peace by compromise with evil. The peace that Christ left His disciples is internal rather than external and was ever to remain with His witnesses through strife and contention." {AA 84.1}

Re: What is a Peacemaker? #10557
03/05/04 12:45 AM
03/05/04 12:45 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Interestingly, the test I quoted in my opening post with peacemaker in it is the only time the word is used in the whole Bible.

Re: What is a Peacemaker? #10558
03/05/04 01:00 AM
03/05/04 01:00 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I looked the text up in the SDA Bible Commentary and came across this statement:

quote:

Christians are to be at peace among themselves (1 Thess. 5:13) and to "follow peace with all men" (Hebrews 12:14). They are to pray for peace, to work for peace, and to take a constructive interest in activities that contribute to a peaceful state of society.

One answer then to my question is that a peacemaker is a person who is at peace with God first resulting in being at peace within further resulting in being at peace with others.

Re: What is a Peacemaker? #10559
03/05/04 01:54 PM
03/05/04 01:54 PM
Charlene Van Hook  Offline
North Carolina, USA
Mind, Character, and Personality Volume 2 --439

"Do Not Discuss Grievances."

--"Blessed are the peacemakers; for they shall be called the children of God."

Who calls them so? All the heavenly intelligences. Then do not encourage any tempted soul to tell you the grievances of a brother or a friend. Tell them that you do not want to hear their words of censure and evil speaking, because your Counselor has told you in His Word that if you cease to stir up strife and become a peacemaker, you will be blessed. Tell them that this is the blessing you are craving.

The Story of Jesus--- Teachings of Christ--- 62

"Blessed are the peacemakers." Matthew 5:9.

"He who has the meek and lowly spirit of Christ will be a peacemaker. Such a spirit provokes no quarrel, gives back no angry answer. It makes the home happy, and brings a sweet peace that blesses all around."

Manuscript Releases Volume Nineteen---
" Trust God, He Will Set Things Right"--PG- 147

"For what is the Christian to live? The answer comes, He is to live in this world of sin, and strife, and variance as a peacemaker, doing all in his power to advance the work of God." [James 3:13-18, quoted.]

Re: What is a Peacemaker? #10560
03/05/04 02:42 PM
03/05/04 02:42 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Based on what Charlene appropriately quoted here, it sounds like there are not very many peacemakers in our midst, if any, for we are so prone to be defensive, and so prone to be judgmental.

These are not good attributes of peacemakers.

Re: What is a Peacemaker? #10561
03/05/04 05:07 PM
03/05/04 05:07 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am presently doing a word search where EGW used the word peacemakers.

The following reminded me of my previous post:

quote:

Gentle Words and Smiles for the Family.--
It is not only our privilege but our duty to cultivate gentleness, to have the peace of Christ in the heart and as peacemakers and followers of Christ to sow precious seed that will produce a harvest unto eternal life.

Professed followers of Christ may possess many good and useful qualities; but their characters are greatly marred by an unkind, fretful, faultfinding, harshly judging temper.

The husband or the wife who cherishes suspicion and distrust creates dissension and strife in the home. Neither of them should keep his gentle words and smiles for strangers alone, and manifest irritability in the home, thus driving out peace and contentment.
--Lt 34, 1894. (HC 179.) {1MCP 156.2}

How we (and I include myself here) post here, in tone and choice of words, in the various topics of MSDAOL, some of which can be and are sometimes controversial, reveals whether or not we are truly peacemakers as revealed in the above EGW quote.

Re: What is a Peacemaker? #10562
03/05/04 05:37 PM
03/05/04 05:37 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Here are additional important quotes on this topic:

quote:

May the dear Saviour be a welcome guest in your heart. If Christ is abiding in your heart, you will manifest Christ in your words, the law of kindness will be upon your tongues, and you will have peace within. Then all will be peace without, and you will make melody to God in your hearts. {OHC 239.3}

A blessing rests upon the peacemakers. . . . O that the Lord would imbue me with His Holy Spirit, that I shall ever be what Christ calls a peacemaker! I do not love the atmosphere of strife and contention. I want to be able to say the Lord's Prayer, "Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us." Oh, how can we utter this prayer and be unforgiving? . . . {OHC 239.4}

To judge our brethren, to allow feelings to be cherished against them, even if we feel they have not done exactly right toward us, will bring no blessing to our hearts and will not help the case at all. I dare not allow my feelings to run in the channel of hunting up all my grievances and telling them over and over, and dwelling in the atmosphere of distrust, enmity, and dissension. . . . {OHC 239.5}

"Blessed are the peacemakers." Matthew 5:9. He who has the meek and lowly spirit of Christ will be a peacemaker. Such a spirit provokes no quarrel, gives back no angry answer.
It makes the home happy, and brings a sweet peace that blesses all around. {SJ 62.2}

Lots of words of wisdom in the above quotes.

Can you think of any good Bible examples of a peacemaker?

Re: What is a Peacemaker? #10563
03/05/04 05:47 PM
03/05/04 05:47 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Here also is some good counsel from the pen of EGW:

quote:

You see the truth, and then you mark out how this one and that one should practice it; and if they fail to come up to the mark you set, you feel to draw off from them. You cannot fellowship them, and love dies out of your heart for them, when in reality they are just as near right as you are. You make yourself enemies when you might have friends. You are ardent and positive in your temperament, and when you see points of truth, you carry matters to extremes. You thus repulse persons, instead of winning and binding them to your heart. You look upon the objectionable features in the character of those with whom you associate, and dwell upon their seeming inconsistencies and wrongs, overlooking their redeeming traits. I was referred to this scripture: "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report, if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." Here, dear sister, you may meditate and speculate with profit. Dwell upon the good qualities of those with whom you associate, and see as little as possible of their errors and failings. You possess too much of a spirit of war, and throw things into confusion and strife. You must change your life and character if you are ever classed with those who hear the words: "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Let nothing but kind, loving words fall from your lips concerning the members of your family or of the church.
{2T 437.1}

How much division and strife would be avoided in our churches, in our homes, and here in cyberspace if we would follow the above advice.

Re: What is a Peacemaker? #10564
03/05/04 06:32 PM
03/05/04 06:32 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Here is one excellent example of a peacemaker:

quote:

Kindness and Peace--
The piety of Abigail, like the fragrance of a flower, breathed out all unconsciously in face and word and action. The Spirit of the Son of God was abiding in her soul. Her speech, seasoned with grace, and full of kindness and peace, shed a heavenly influence. Better impulses came to David, and he trembled as he thought what might have been the consequences of his rash purpose. "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matt. 5:9. Would that there were many more like this woman of Israel, who would soothe the irritated feelings, prevent rash impulses, and quell great evils by words of calm and well-directed wisdom.
--PP 667. {VSS 356.1}

If she hadn't have gotten involved, David would have killed a great number of them, if not all of them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!