HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication), 2,897 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Did Satan intend to kill Christ....? #105680
12/06/08 11:40 PM
12/06/08 11:40 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
.....without the stain of sin?

As I was preparing for the lesson this week, it dawned on me that Satan would not have gained anything by Christ's death in itself. What he needed was to break down Christ to the point of death where he would be more susceptible to stumble and sin. Thus the beatings and lashings and humiliations to get him to sin, along with taunting and baiting for Christ to show himself as the Son of God. Trying to make Christ react out of feelings and anger and reveal his full divinity much like the temptation to use his divine power to make bread out of stone, which would have made Satans point that Christ could not make it as flesh in overcoming sin.

Satan knew to use the Romans soldiers as they were well trained in applying torture without letting the person die quickly, extending it as long as posible and if it included being crucified, you may be left to a agonizing death of several days. But Satan had to get Christ to somehow sin, maybe from the torture and pain, or the loss of blood, or from the numbing affects of vinegar they gave Christ on a sponge. Someway, somehow, he had to be broken and forced to sin, but it had to happen first before his death, Satan would have known that, so what happened that changed his plan.

Last edited by Richard; 12/07/08 01:17 PM.
Re: Did Satan intend to kill Christ....? [Re: Rick H] #105704
12/07/08 05:12 AM
12/07/08 05:12 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
"So what happened that changed his plan?" Satan never had control in the first place. Jesus was given the power and authority to lay down His life at the right time. No one and nothing killed Jesus. He conquered death on the cross and then laid down His own life. He became the lawful owner of the keys of hell and death and demonstrated it by entering and exiting the domain of death using the keys He wrested from Satan.

Also, Satan could have succeeded if he got Jesus to give up on mankind and return home without tasting death for us.

Re: Did Satan intend to kill Christ....? [Re: Mountain Man] #105719
12/07/08 07:52 AM
12/07/08 07:52 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know. This man was handed over to you by God's set purpose and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross.(Acts 2:22)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Satan intend to kill Christ....? [Re: Tom] #105726
12/07/08 01:45 PM
12/07/08 01:45 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom, what's your point? If it was the cross that killed Christ, He was just another martyr.

Re: Did Satan intend to kill Christ....? [Re: Rosangela] #105764
12/08/08 04:00 AM
12/08/08 04:00 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, as you know the Bible often credits beings with things they didn't actually do themselves. In this case, all of us are guilty of crucifying Jesus - not just the Jews and Romans. In reality, though, Jesus conquered death on the cross. This accomplishes more than merely dying. God gave Jesus the power and authority to lay down and take up His life at the appropriate times. It was no accident.

Re: Did Satan intend to kill Christ....? [Re: Mountain Man] #105783
12/08/08 08:06 AM
12/08/08 08:06 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
It seems odd to affirm that nothing or no one killed Christ. I guess my point is that Christ was killed.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Satan intend to kill Christ....? [Re: Mountain Man] #105789
12/08/08 01:14 PM
12/08/08 01:14 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
"So what happened that changed his plan?" Satan never had control in the first place. Jesus was given the power and authority to lay down His life at the right time. No one and nothing killed Jesus. He conquered death on the cross and then laid down His own life. He became the lawful owner of the keys of hell and death and demonstrated it by entering and exiting the domain of death using the keys He wrested from Satan.

Also, Satan could have succeeded if he got Jesus to give up on mankind and return home without tasting death for us.

Here is what we came up after the lesson and a group discussion afterwards. When Christ went into Gethsemena the weight of every sin since the start of the world till the last sin before the end was put upon him. He would have died at that point if the angel had not been sent to strengthen him. The Father withdrawing His light because of the sin, and the weight of the sin caused the sorrow and anguish which was made clear in Christs words and actions. Culminating at the cross where the break in connection with the Father was complete causing Christ to cry out "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?". He then died from the weight of the sin on Him, the affects of the lashes, torture and nailing to the cross by themselves were really not the direct cause. Thus he literally laid down His life for our sins....

John 10:15
As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

Last edited by Richard; 12/08/08 01:15 PM.
Re: Did Satan intend to kill Christ....? [Re: Tom] #105791
12/08/08 03:49 PM
12/08/08 03:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
It seems odd to affirm that nothing or no one killed Christ. I guess my point is that Christ was killed.

Christ did not yield up His life till He had accomplished the work which He came to do, and with His parting breath He exclaimed, "It is finished." John 19:30. The battle had been won. His right hand and His holy arm had gotten Him the victory. As a Conqueror He planted His banner on the eternal heights. Was there not joy among the angels? All heaven triumphed in the Saviour's victory. Satan was defeated, and knew that his kingdom was lost. {DA 758.1}

John
10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
10:18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

While as a member of the human family He was mortal, as God He was the fountain of life for the world. He could have withstood the advances of death, and refused to come under its dominion; but voluntarily He laid down His life, that He might bring life and immortality to light. He bore the sin of the world, endured its curse, yielded up His life as a sacrifice, that men might not eternally die. {DA 484.1}

Voluntarily our divine Substitute bared His soul to the sword of justice, that we might not perish but have everlasting life. Said Christ, "I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again" (John 10:17, 18). No man of earth or angel of heaven could have paid the penalty for sin. Jesus was the only one who could save rebellious man. {1SM 322.1}

Re: Did Satan intend to kill Christ....? [Re: Mountain Man] #105792
12/08/08 04:03 PM
12/08/08 04:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Richard, consider the fact Jesus bore the weight of the sins of the world within Himself all of His life - not just at the end of His life. In the wilderness of temptation He suffered for our sins in a way very similar to Gethsemane and the Golgotha. Notwithstanding, Jesus tasted, consumed, and conquered our sin and second death on the cross. See quotes above. "Christ did not yield up His life till He had accomplished the work which He came to do, and with His parting breath He exclaimed, "It is finished." John 19:30. Satan, not Jesus, will die the second death with the sins of the saved. It was the scapegoat, not the Lord's goat, that died with the sins of the saved.

Re: Did Satan intend to kill Christ....? [Re: Mountain Man] #105805
12/08/08 06:08 PM
12/08/08 06:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, there's no contradiction between Acts 2, and other inspired texts which say Christ was killed, and the texts you quoted. The Bible does not contradict itself. Christ allowed Himself to be killed.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!