HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication), 2,923 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Did Satan intend to kill Christ....? [Re: teresaq] #106393
12/22/08 10:31 PM
12/22/08 10:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
except that matthew quotes part of isaiah and in relation to healing.

The word for "heal" means "save." This is what Matthew quoted from:

Quote:
4Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. (Isa. 53)

Christ was able to save (or heal) because of bearing our griefs/sorrows/transgressions.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Satan intend to kill Christ....? [Re: Tom] #106394
12/22/08 11:32 PM
12/22/08 11:32 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
i understood that, thank you. smile

but matthew is still using only one very small part in the context of the healing Jesus was doing, at that moment, and applying only what applied at the moment, it would seem.

i understand that you see it in a certain light, but does that mean that others understandings are automatically wrong?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Did Satan intend to kill Christ....? [Re: teresaq] #106396
12/22/08 11:58 PM
12/22/08 11:58 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's something Waggoner wrote about it:

Quote:
Being born of a woman, Christ was necessarily born under the law, for such is the condition of all mankind, and "in all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people." Heb.2:17. He takes everything on Himself. "He hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows." "Himself took our infirmities, and bare our disease." Matt.8:17, R.V. "All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all." He redeems us by coming into our place literally, and taking our load off our shoulders. "Him who knew no sin He made to be sin on our behalf; that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." 2Cor.5:21, R.V. In the fullest sense of the word, and to a degree that is seldom thought of when the expression is used, He became man's substitute. That is, He permeates our being, identifying Himself so fully with us that everything that touches or affects us touches and affects Him. He is not our substitute in the sense that one man is a substitute for another, in the army, for instance, the substitute being in one place, while the one for whom he is substitute is somewhere else, engaged in some other service. No; Christ's substitution is far different. He is our substitute in that He substitutes Himself for us, and we appear no more. We drop out entirely, so that it is "not I, but Christ." Thus we cast our cares on Him, not by picking them up and with an effort throwing them on Him, but by humbling ourselves into the nothingness that we are, so that we leave the burden resting on Him alone. Thus we see already how it is that He came. (The Glad Tidings)

Whether people see things as I do, isn't the salient question, of course, but whether the things being seen are true or not. Obviously, if I'm wrong regarding a certain point, if others see things differently than I do, then that's good thing.

Regarding this particular point, I think Waggoner is correct, and I would, in general, given all that EGW has written in regards to him, be slow to disagree with him.

Anyway, aside from personalities, one should decide for oneself what is truth on the basis of evidence, not on the basis of what others think, no matter who they are. I've provided evidence for the point of view I believe is correct, and invite others to investigate it, and provide evidence for their point of view.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Satan intend to kill Christ....? [Re: Tom] #106405
12/23/08 02:34 AM
12/23/08 02:34 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
first, my brother, from everything i have read from egw regarding j and w had to do specifically with the faith of Jesus, righteousness by faith, not what i would call the peripherals.

second, she clearly stated they were not error-free.

third, i dont get we are to ever read anyone, excluding the bible, as error-free or give ourselves entirely to their understanding. i do read egw as if she were the bible, but that is about it.

i hold j and w in high regard, generally speaking. i have also appreciated some other authors you have quoted. but to say that their understanding is the understanding, or that my understanding of what i believe to be their understanding is accurate, is something else again.

i have read that (the glad tidings quote) the first time that you put it up. but one thing i have noticed at times, not all the time, but sometimes, is that i can read something the way ive been told it says, whereas if i back off it for a while and pray i see it in a completely different light.

the "wrath of God" may be a good illustration of that. another one is that i was taught that sodom and gomorrah were destroyed for homosexuality-the bible teaches it was for a variety of reasons. praying to be cleansed of all tradition revealed that one. there are probably a multitude of views that have been changed in me from praying that simple prayer.

maybe if we got away from "right and wrong" on some issues, that are not the foundation and pillars of our beliefs......and see it as a difference of understanding.

regarding "evidence". i knew a lady years ago, who cleaned her house on saturdays. one saturday she got the distinct impression she shouldnt be doing that. she didnt understand it, and started to continue. again the impression came. she didnt clean house on the sabbath after that. now what "evidence" at that time could she have produced to anyone who asked her? i know of a few other similar circumstances.

but apart from that, i believe richard did present a valid piece of "evidence" in the sin being confessed over the sacrificial victim.

you presented what seemed to be "evidence" to you, but i dont see it as that. the subject seems worth exploring and praying about. after all, that is how great truths have been discovered, que no? smile

again, i dont see it as a "richard is right" and "you are wrong" anything. i see it as a valid point that would be nice to explore. it seems that we can become so positive in our understanding of anything that we may not be able to see the validity, or possibility, in anothers understanding.

Last edited by teresaq; 12/23/08 02:38 AM.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Did Satan intend to kill Christ....? [Re: teresaq] #106411
12/23/08 07:25 AM
12/23/08 07:25 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
first, my brother, from everything i have read from egw regarding j and w had to do specifically with the faith of Jesus, righteousness by faith, not what i would call the peripherals.

Most everything Waggoner wrote on the subject fit together. There's not really much in the way of "peripherals;" at least, that's my impression (that is, I see the things Waggoner writes as tying together).

Quote:

She didn't claim to be error-free herself. When she said they weren't error-free, the context was as a way of trying to get their detractors to pay attention to what they were saying, not as an excuse to downplay their importance; it was just the opposite!

Quote:
third, i dont get we are to ever read anyone, excluding the bible, as error-free or give ourselves entirely to their understanding. i do read egw as if she were the bible, but that is about it.

A lot of people feel this way, although this wasn't Ellen White's perspective. However, if one wishes to read her "as if she were the bible," then this should include her endorsements of Jones and Waggoner, shouldn't it?

Quote:
i hold j and w in high regard, generally speaking. i have also appreciated some other authors you have quoted. but to say that their understanding is the understanding, or that my understanding of what i believe to be their understanding is accurate, is something else again.

I've never claimed this, right? That is, that someone's understanding, whether mine, or Jones or Waggoner, or anyone else I've quoted, is "the" understanding. Even Scripture, Ellen White has told us, does not reflect the rhetoric or logic of God ("Logic" is pretty close to "understanding").

The best we can do is try to understanding things as best we can, and share things which have been a blessing to us to others. Because of this medium, discussions tend to be more contentious than they would if we were conversing in person. We don't have the luxury of hearing another's voice, or see their body language.

Regarding when Christ began bearing our sin, in my opinion there is a lot of evidence that it was before the cross. MM quoted some statements from the SOP saying that He bore them during the temptations in the wilderness. John 1:29 says, literally, "Behold the lamb of God who is bearing the sins of the world." Gal. 4:4 points out that Christ was born "under the law." Matt. 8:17 quotes Isa. 53:4, which speaks to Christ's bearing our iniquity. Here's another item of Waggoner's where he discusses this:

Quote:
The sacrifice of Christ, so far as this world is concerned, dates from the foundation of the world. While Christ was going about doing good in Judea and Galilee, He was in the bosom of the Father making reconciliation for the sins of the world.

The scene on Calvary was the manifestation of what has taken place as long as sin has existed, and will take place until every man is saved who is willing to be saved: Christ bearing the sins of the world. He bears them now. (The Glad Tidings)

I've found these thoughts of Waggoner's to be a blessing. All I can do is share them. If you, or whoever, disagree with what Waggoner is saying, that's your prerogative, of course.

Regarding the fact that sinners confessed their sins over a lamb, I don't understand why this would imply that Christ was only bearing our sins at one specific point in time. This certainly doesn't appear to me to be as strong an argument as statements which state flat out that Christ was bearing our sin before Calvary.

In conclusion, my impression of you has been that you are an open-minded individual, willing to adjust your views when you become convinced you were wrong. I can assure you, by the grace of God, I'm the same way. My views have changed a great deal in the last 20 years, many times and in many ways. So I by no means have the point of view that my point of view must be correct. I'm simply presenting things which make sense to me. One of the great things about these forums is that people can question your views, causing one to rethink things, either adjusting positions or abandoning them altogether in favor of news ones.

Re: Did Satan intend to kill Christ....? [Re: Tom] #106444
12/24/08 04:11 AM
12/24/08 04:11 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:

Most everything Waggoner wrote on the subject fit together. There's not really much in the way of "peripherals;" at least, that's my impression (that is, I see the things Waggoner writes as tying together).

you see everything as fitting together with waggoner. ok. i had mentioned both.

Quote:
Quote:

She didn't claim to be error-free herself. When she said they weren't error-free, the context was as a way of trying to get their detractors to pay attention to what they were saying, not as an excuse to downplay their importance; it was just the opposite!

that is how you see it. ok. i didnt realize you would assume i was trying to downplay their importance given what i had stated about their message about the faith of Jesus, (egws words).

Quote:
Quote:

A lot of people feel this way, although this wasn't Ellen White's perspective. However, if one wishes to read her "as if she were the bible," then this should include her endorsements of Jones and Waggoner, shouldn't it?

hmmmm, that seems to be how you are reading her re j and w. i notice they were both mentioned this time.

Quote:
Quote:

I've never claimed this, right? That is, that someone's understanding, whether mine, or Jones or Waggoner, or anyone else I've quoted, is "the" understanding. .....

i was referring to myself but i can see that was not real clear.

Quote:
The best we can do is try to understanding things as best we can, and share things which have been a blessing to us to others. Because of this medium, discussions tend to be more contentious than they would if we were conversing in person. We don't have the luxury of hearing another's voice, or see their body language.

in person and in the same room would have the advantage of being able to break and be in prayer together as the early pioneers did after the disappointment.

Quote:
Regarding when Christ began bearing our sin, in my opinion there is a lot of evidence that it was before the cross. MM quoted some statements from the SOP saying that He bore them during the temptations in the wilderness. John 1:29 says, literally, "Behold the lamb of God who is bearing the sins of the world." Gal. 4:4 points out that Christ was born "under the law." Matt. 8:17 quotes Isa. 53:4, which speaks to Christ's bearing our iniquity. Here's another item of Waggoner's where he discusses this:

these references are quite convincing to you. i dont see them in the same light you do. not only that, we have this statement:

Quote:
The guilt of fallen humanity He must bear. Upon Him who knew no sin must be laid the iniquity of us all. So dreadful does sin appear to Him, so great is the weight of guilt which He must bear, that He is tempted to fear it will shut Him out forever from His Father's love. Feeling how terrible is the wrath of God against transgression, He exclaims, "My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death." {DA 685.2}

since one doesnt cancel out the other, how do all these statements work together, if we are understanding them correctly? personally, i have all the time in the world to wait and see how they fit together. smile in the end i may come to the same understanding as you have. but right now i dont see your references the same way you do.

Quote:
The sacrifice of Christ, so far as this world is concerned, dates from the foundation of the world. While Christ was going about doing good in Judea and Galilee, He was in the bosom of the Father making reconciliation for the sins of the world.

The scene on Calvary was the manifestation of what has taken place as long as sin has existed, and will take place until every man is saved who is willing to be saved: Christ bearing the sins of the world. He bears them now. (The Glad Tidings)

how could Christ still be in the bosom of the Father in heaven-yet in judea and galilee-according to waggoner, and yet have left the bosom of the Father according to egw?

Quote:
Jesus . . . became a "Man of sorrows," that we might be made partakers of everlasting joy. God permitted His beloved Son, full of grace and truth, to come from a world of indescribable glory, to a world marred and blighted with sin, darkened with the shadow of death and the curse. He permitted Him to leave the bosom of His Love, the adoration of the angels, to suffer shame . . . and death. {FLB 97.4}

Then joy, inexpressible joy, filled heaven, and the heavenly choir sang a song of praise and adoration. They touched their harps and sang a note higher than they had done before, because of the great mercy and condescension of God in yielding up His dearly Beloved to die for a race of rebels. Then praise and adoration was poured forth for the self-denial and sacrifice of Jesus, in consenting to leave the bosom of His Father, and choosing a life of suffering and anguish, and an ignominious death, that He might give life to others. {EW 126.2}

Quote:
I've found these thoughts of Waggoner's to be a blessing. All I can do is share them. If you, or whoever, disagree with what Waggoner is saying, that's your prerogative, of course.

hmmmm, so theres no possibility that they are understood differently? or that one would like them to be reconciled with ones understanding of egw?

Quote:
In conclusion, my impression of you has been that you are an open-minded individual, willing to adjust your views when you become convinced you were wrong. I can assure you, by the grace of God, I'm the same way. My views have changed a great deal in the last 20 years, many times and in many ways. So I by no means have the point of view that my point of view must be correct. I'm simply presenting things which make sense to me. One of the great things about these forums is that people can question your views, causing one to rethink things, either adjusting positions or abandoning them altogether in favor of news ones.

im in agreement with much of your understanding, and differ in some other areas. smile i am glad that i am seen as open-minded, by at least you. this is something you seem to have studied out thoroughly. while i am aware that we have not had to carry the full weight or guilt of our sins-or it would crush us-i did also see that our sins were laid on Christ at the cross.

how these play out or reconcile i would like to see. but it isnt a salvational issue, so i can wait......

Last edited by teresaq; 12/24/08 04:14 AM.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!