HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,633
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,514 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Who was Judas Iscariot and what made him stumble? #96951
03/15/08 12:09 AM
03/15/08 12:09 AM
Rick H  Offline OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
This is a story of Simons feast and the hidden gems in it from a excerpt of a sermon by David Curtis, the original was lost but David is updating a newer posting of the sermon which I have used. It is very interesting so I wanted to share it. Read and see what you think.......

"....Luke was a methodical investigator, interviewer, and compiler of the life and teachings of Jesus. He met people who had eye witness accounts with the Savior and under the guidance of the Holy Spirit wrote them down. John the beloved disciple did not need to interview others as Luke had done. He himself testified, “which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life.” 1 John 1:1.

In John, and also in Matthew and Mark, we find that the story of the events at Simon’s Feast which also include the story of the woman anointing the feet of Jesus were done just previous to the death and burial of Jesus. “ For in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial.” (Mt 26:12 AV). So as we read this story in Luke’s gospel and find it in two separated chapters both earlier on in his ministry, let us keep in mind that the events happened exactly as they occurred, but not necessarily set in the exact order or time it occurred.

The events in the room of Simon’s Feast led to the betrayal of Jesus Christ. There are multiple circumstances that pulled upon Judas Iscariot the night he chose his side with Satan. Every one of us may find our selves one day tempted as he was under similar circumstances. So lets not look at this story for simply the pleasure and awe of understanding the scenes of this story in more full detail. Rather let each one watch carefully this story, read it prayerfully with a sober mind vividly imagining our selves there, grasping the realities of what Judas experienced and felt in his heart, so that we not fall into the same temptation as Judas. “Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation.” Matthew 26:41. Let us call to the stand the first witness of scripture, in the trial of Judas Iscariot. Let us investigate to see what was the REAL reason Judas betrayed Jesus of Nazareth.

“36 ¶ And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee’s house, and sat down to meat. 37 And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee’s house, brought an alabaster box of ointment, 38 And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment. 39 Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner. 40 And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on. 41 There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty. 42 And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most? 43 Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged. 44 And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head. 45 Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet. 46 My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment. 47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. 48 And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven. 49 And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also? 50 And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.” (Luke 7:36-50 AV)

The event takes place at “the Pharisee’s house.” A woman which “is a sinner” or prostitute came in to the room and began to worship at Jesus feet anointing him with priceless perfume. Jesus who knew all things, including the thoughts and motives in the mind of men perceived what was secretly in the mind of this Pharisee. The Pharisee questions with in his heart a doubting question. “This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner.” Jesus could see what others could not, “the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7. Christ saw the unbelief of this Pharisee as he thought the word “IF.” In a few moments we are going to see that this man’s unbelief is outrageous, and beyond comprehension. He had more than ample evidence that this was the Christ sitting at meat with him.

Christ proceeded to give this Pharisee a rebuke, ““44 And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head. 45 Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet. 46 My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.” (Luke 7:44-46 AV). Jesus had just dishonored the host of this feast. Simon the Pharisee must have grown ashamed in the presence of his guests as Jesus words fell upon the hearers around the table. This is an important piece of the puzzle as we investigate the REAL reason Judas betrayed Jesus. So let’s keep this in mind. Lets now bring to the stand our second witness in the trial of Judas.

“6 ¶ Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper, 7 There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat. 8 But when his disciples saw it, they had indignation, saying, To what purpose is this waste? 9 For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor. 10 When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me. 11 For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always. 12 For in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial. 13 Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached in the whole world, there shall also this, that this woman hath done, be told for a memorial of her.” (Mt 26:6-13 AV)

This Pharisee is here called, “Simon the leper.” Mosaic Law forbid men to come into the presence of men contaminated with the feared plague of leprosy. When Jesus had healed men of this debilitating and wasting disease He commanded them to “shew thyself to the priest, and offer for thy cleansing, according as Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.” Luke 5:14. This act allowed these Jewish men who had been healed by Jesus to return to society. Simon the leper is such a man. “Simon had been healed of the leprosy” Desire of Ages p. 557. This same man had the nerve to ask the question in his heart “IF!”

Is it possible he is one of the lepers mentioned in the Bible as being cleansed by Jesus? It could be. If so He was likely one of the nine who returned not to give God praise. , “12 And as he entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off: 13 And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy on us. 14 And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed. 15 And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God, 16 And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan. 17 And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine? 18 There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger. 19 And he said unto him, Arise, go thy way: thy faith hath made thee whole.” (Lu 17:12-19 AV)

Now lets call John to the stand in testimony against Judas. Lets ask John to identify this woman “who was a sinner” at Jesus feet. “It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.” John 11:2. This woman is Mary, the sister of Lazarus. Please tell us John, who else was at this feast the night Judas went out to betray Jesus? ““1 ¶ Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead. 2 There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him.” (John 12:1-2 AV)

Simon the Pharisee had been healed of leprosy. Simon was sitting in the presence of one who had been dead just days before. Christ had brought Lazarus back to life just about a day before, inspite of all this Simon still asked with in him self, “IF this man were a prophet….” Could it be that Simon was the “rich man” in the parable of the rich man and Lazarus? “ And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.” (Luke 16:31 AV)

Mary, Martha, and Lazarus all three siblings were present at this feast. Let us remember the physical activities of Mary and Martha. Mary is at Jesus feet while. “Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair” verse 3. At this time, John testifies that, “Martha served” verse 2. Now lets read this in greater detail in Luke’s gospel.

“38 ¶ Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word. 40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. 41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: 42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:38-42 AV)

Two more important facts come to surface here. First lets notice whose home this feast is taking place in. “And he went into the Pharisee’s house, and sat down to meat.” Luke 7:36. “Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper” Matthew 26:6.Clearly this story is occurring in Bethany in the home of Simon. Bethany is also the hometown of Mary Martha and Lazarus. “ Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha.” (John 11:1 AV) “ Then Jesus six days before the Passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.” (John 12:1 AV) The event of Mary at Jesus feet and Martha busily serving according to Luke happened in Martha’s home “Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.” Luke 10:38. It was both the home of Simon and the home of Martha. Thus we discover that Simon the Pharisee was a relative and i.e. the uncle of Martha, Mary and Lazarus.

Now back to our story...

Not only had Jesus dishonored and embarrassed Simon the man of the house, He also did the same with Martha the woman of the house. Martha was frantically serving the guests and requested that Jesus bid her sister help her. Jesus said her sister sitting at His feet gave Him a greater blessing that she had in her labors. Martha entered the room, and with her came the taint in the atmosphere of poisonous anger that only a frustrated woman can bring to a room. Following Jesus rebuke to Martha came a rebuke to Simon. Tension is obviously in the air. Now notice the relationship that Judas Iscariot has with Simon and Martha. “Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, SIMON’S SON, which should betray him,” John 12:4. “Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, THE SON OF SIMON.” John 13:26

Simon is the father of Judas Iscariot! Judas had witnessed the scenes of his father Simon and cousin Martha being humbled by Jesus of Nazareth’s rebukes. He felt his parent’s embarrassment in the presence of their guests as this happened in their own home. He witnessed how he exalted his prostitute cousin above his mother, and could not remain silent another moment.

“4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, which should betray him, 5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor? 6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein. 7 Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this. 8 For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always.” (John 12:4-8 AV)

A penny was a days wages, so three hundred pence was three hundred days worth of wages. Greed rose in Judas’s heart as he saw an opportunity fleeing away being poured out in front of his eyes. He coveted his aunt’s gift, which she offered Jesus freely.

“Mary had been looked upon as a great sinner, but Christ knew the circumstances that had shaped her life. He might have extinguished every spark of hope in her soul, but He did not. It was He who had lifted her from despair and ruin. Seven times she had heard His rebuke of the demons that controlled her heart and mind. She had heard His strong cries to the Father in her behalf. She knew how offensive is sin to His unsullied purity, and in His strength she had overcome.” Desire of Ages p. 568.

Mary had been healed of demons that took possession of her mind through indulgence of lust and prostitution. Her brother had just been raised from the dead. This joy and the love she felt from the words of Jesus. “Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.” Luke 6:47,48. A peace and joy flooded her soul and she could not give enough to share with her the love she felt for the Savior. He had restored to this family her brother from the dead, and restored herself from spiritual death 7 times.

“At the table the Saviour sat with Simon, whom He had cured of a loathsome disease, on one side, and Lazarus, whom He had raised from the dead, on the other. Martha served at the table, but Mary was earnestly listening to every word from the lips of Jesus. In His mercy, Jesus had pardoned her sins, He had called forth her beloved brother from the grave, and Mary's heart was filled with gratitude.” Desire of Ages p. 558,559.

Amid this scenes of this growing love another heart of hate grew stronger. First Judas’s mother had been rebuked, then his father, then Judas’s own greed cloaked with a form of righteousness had been rebuked, by Christ. Judas could take it no more. The frustration of all this overwhelmed his mind. Immediately following this scene he sought a way to betray Jesus. His motivation was to get even with the Son of God. He had revenge in his heart as he went to the chief priests seeking a plot to destroy Jesus of Nazareth. When the Priests offered to satisfy his unfulfilled greed the deed was settled in Judas’s mind to betray Jesus.

“6 And Jesus said, Let her alone; why trouble ye her? she hath wrought a good work on me. 7 For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always. 8 She hath done what she could: she is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying. 9 Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached throughout the whole world, this also that she hath done shall be spoken of for a memorial of her. 10 And Judas Iscariot, one of the twelve, went unto the chief priests, to betray him unto them. 11 And when they heard it, they were glad, and promised to give him money. And he sought how he might conveniently betray him.” (Mr 14:6-11 AV)

This grievous betrayal was portrayed in Scripture. This treachery began in the wickedness of his father’s heart. Simon was responsible for leading Mary in to prostitution. “As did Nathan with David, Christ concealed His home thrust under the veil of a parable. He threw upon His host the burden of pronouncing sentence upon himself. Simon had led into sin the woman he now despised. She had been deeply wronged by him. By the two debtors of the parable, Simon and the woman were represented. Jesus did not design to teach that different degrees of obligation should be felt by the two persons, for each owed a debt of gratitude that never could be repaid. But Simon felt himself more righteous than Mary, and Jesus desired him to see how great his guilt really was. He would show him that his sin was greater than hers, as much greater as a debt of five hundred pence exceeds a debt of fifty pence.” Desire of Ages p. 566,567.

In John chapter eight the Pharisees bring a woman caught in the very act of adultery. How did these Pharisees know about this act? Had they not plotted it? Was it not Simon the Pharisee who had arranged for Mary to be committing this act of harlotry that morning fateful morning? Was it not Simon the Pharisee who had his secret plot exposed in the dust of the earth as Jesus wrote out the true circumstances that led to this crime? And was this not one of the seven occasions, in which Christ said to Mary, “Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more?”

Have we not like Mary seven times in a day sinned and said I repent and experienced the loving Savior’s words, ““ And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.” (Luke17:4 AV) Can not we all recognize the love that flowed from Mary’s heart and have this same experience our selves? No wonder she was the one that stood by Jesus mother and John the beloved disciple as Jesus suffered and bled and died on the cross. No wonder she was the first to appear at the tomb Sunday morning. She it was who first beheld the risen Savior. A prostitute saved be the grace of God.

Finally, let us consider the REAL reason Judas betrayed Jesus. It was motivated first by his love for his family and their reputation. “34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. 35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. 36 And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household. 37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.” (Matthew 10:34-38 AV)

His second motivation that led him to betray Jesus was that of greed. ““ For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.” (1Titus 6:10 AV)

“ Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.” (Hebrews 13:5 AV)

If only Judas had loved Christ more than his mother and father, or that Judas would have loved Christ and learned to be meek and lowly in heart being content with such things as he had. If only he had loved his neighbor more than self, and had rejoiced with the angels as he witnessed his aunt repent of her sins and lost sight of the earthly possessions forfeited to serve Christ! May we all do what Judas failed to do. Amen!......" used with permission of David M. Curtis, The Loud Cry Ministries.

Here is the link to the full sermon......
http://thefourwinds.org/Judas.html

Last edited by Richard; 03/15/08 12:11 AM.
Reply Quote
Re: Who was Judas Iscariot and what made him stumble? [Re: Rick H] #97170
03/21/08 01:21 AM
03/21/08 01:21 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
His lust for power and money is what made Judas stumble to the point of betraying Christ.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Re: Who was Judas Iscariot and what made him stumble? [Re: Daryl] #97171
03/21/08 02:48 AM
03/21/08 02:48 AM
Rick H  Offline OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
 Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
His lust for power and money is what made Judas stumble to the point of betraying Christ.

Well 30 pieces of silver must have been a tidy sum back then for Judas to even make a deal to betray what he obviously knew was the Christ, the Son of the living God.........

Reply Quote
Re: Who was Judas Iscariot and what made him stumble? [Re: Rick H] #97173
03/21/08 06:05 AM
03/21/08 06:05 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
In Desire of Ages, Ellen gave some interesting insight on Judas.

Judas had naturally a strong love for money; but he had not always been corrupt enough to do such a deed as this. He had fostered the evil spirit of avarice until it had become the ruling motive of his life. The love of mammon overbalanced his love for Christ. Through becoming the slave of one vice he gave himself to Satan, to be driven to any lengths in sin. {DA 716.3} . . . .

Judas did not come to the point of surrendering himself fully to Christ. He did not give up his worldly ambition or his love of money. While he accepted the position of a minister of Christ, he did not bring himself under the divine molding. He felt that he could retain his own judgment and opinions, and he cultivated a disposition to criticize and accuse. {DA 716.4}

Judas was highly regarded by the disciples, and had great influence over them. He himself had a high opinion of his own qualifications, and looked upon his brethren as greatly inferior to him in judgment and ability. They did not see their opportunities, he thought, and take advantage of circumstances. The church would never prosper with such shortsighted men as leaders. Peter was impetuous; he would move without consideration. John, who was treasuring up the truths that fell from Christ's lips, was looked upon by Judas as a poor financier. Matthew, whose training had taught him accuracy in all things, was very particular in regard to honesty, and he was ever contemplating the words of Christ, and became so absorbed in them that, as Judas thought, he could not be trusted to do sharp, far-seeing business. Thus Judas summed up all the disciples, and flattered himself that the church would often be brought into perplexity and embarrassment if it were not for his ability as a manager. Judas regarded himself as the capable one, who could not be overreached. In his own estimation he was an honor to the cause, and as such he always represented himself. {DA 717.1}

Judas was blinded to his own weakness of character, and Christ placed him where he would have an opportunity to see and correct this. As treasurer for the disciples, he was called upon to provide for the needs of the little company, and to relieve the necessities of the poor. When in the Passover chamber Jesus said to him, "That thou doest, do quickly" (John 13:27), the disciples thought He had bidden him
buy what was needed for the feast, or give something to the poor. In ministering to others, Judas might have developed an unselfish spirit. But while listening daily to the lessons of Christ and witnessing His unselfish life, Judas indulged his covetous disposition. The small sums that came into his hands were a continual temptation. Often when he did a little service for Christ, or devoted time to religious purposes, he paid himself out of this meager fund. In his own eyes these pretexts served to excuse his action; but in God's sight he was a thief. {DA 717.2} . . . .

From that time he expressed doubts that confused the disciples. He introduced controversies and misleading sentiments, repeating the arguments urged by the scribes and Pharisees against the claims of Christ. All the little and large troubles and crosses, the difficulties and the apparent hindrances to the advancement of the gospel, Judas interpreted as evidences against its truthfulness. He would introduce texts of Scripture that had no connection with the truths Christ was presenting. These texts, separated from their connection, perplexed the disciples, and increased the discouragement that was constantly pressing upon them. Yet all this was done by Judas in such a way as to make it appear that he was conscientious. And while the disciples were searching for evidence to confirm the words of the Great Teacher, Judas would lead them almost imperceptibly on another track. Thus in a very religious, and apparently wise, way he was presenting matters in a different light from that in which Jesus had given them, and attaching to His words a meaning that He had not conveyed. His suggestions were constantly exciting an ambitious desire for temporal preferment, and thus turning the disciples from the important things they should have considered. The dissension as to which of them should be greatest was generally excited by Judas. {DA 719.2} . .

. . . Judas now cast himself at the feet of Jesus, acknowledging Him to be the Son of God, and entreating Him to deliver Himself. The Saviour did not reproach His betrayer. He knew that Judas did not repent; his confession was forced from his guilty soul by an awful sense of condemnation and a looking for of judgment, but he felt no deep, heartbreaking grief that he had betrayed the spotless Son of God, and denied the Holy One of Israel. Yet Jesus spoke no word of condemnation. He looked pityingly upon Judas, and said, For this hour came I into the world. {DA 722.2}

Reply Quote
Re: Who was Judas Iscariot and what made him stumble? [Re: Rick H] #97177
03/21/08 09:30 AM
03/21/08 09:30 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Richard
 Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett

Well 30 pieces of silver must have been a tidy sum back then for Judas to even make a deal to betray what he obviously knew was the Christ, the Son of the living God.........

Matthew Henry

III. Here is the bargain which the chief priests made with him; they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver; thirty shekels, which in our money is about three pounds eight shillings, so some; three pounds fifteen shillings, so others. It should seem, Judas referred himself to them, and was willing to take what they were willing to give; he catches at the first offer, lest the next should be worse. Judas had not been wont to trade high, and therefore a little money went a great way with him. By the law (Ex. 21:32), thirty pieces of silver was the price of a slave—a goodly price, at which Christ was valued! Zec. 11:13. No wonder that Zion’s sons, though comparable to fine gold, are esteemed as earthen pitchers, when Zion’s King himself was thus undervalued. They covenanted with him; esteµsan-appenderunt—they paid it down, so some; gave him his wages in hand, to secure him and to encourage him.

Chuck Smith
Of course the thirty pieces of silver was a price that was predicted in prophecy in the Old Testament in the book of Zechariah chapter eleven, verses twelve and thirteen. And then it was told also by Zechariah that the silver would be cast down in the house of the Lord, and used to buy a potter's field. Thirty pieces of silver was the price that you would have to pay to your neighbor if you had an ox who was always goring people, or going around butting people with his horns, and he happened to gore your neighbor's servant and killed him. You would have to pay your neighbor thirty pieces of silver for his gored slave, in order to compensate him for the lost of his servant.

As in Zechariah said, "and name for me the price of which I am priced of you." And they measured out thirty pieces of silver. And he said, "a good price, that I was priced at them, and throw it down in the house of the Lord." And so Judas turning against Christ, seeking now to betray Him, looking for the opportunity.

David Guzik
4. (14-16) Judas makes a sinister deal with the Jewish leaders.

Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said, "What are you willing to give me if I deliver Him to you?" And they counted out to him thirty pieces of silver. So from that time he sought opportunity to betray Him.

a. What are you willing to give me if I deliver Him to you? Through the centuries, many have tried to discern a deeper, perhaps even a noble motive behind Judas’ betrayal of Jesus. Some thought that he intended to force Jesus to show Himself as Messiah in a dramatic way. But the Bible gives no hint of any such honorable motive.

b. And they counted out to him thirty pieces of silver: According to the Bible, there was no noble intention in Judas’ heart. His motive was simply money, and his price wasn’t too high: thirty pieces of silver was worth perhaps $25.

A few pounds in 18th century England or $25. Not exactly a kings ransom.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Reply Quote
Re: Who was Judas Iscariot and what made him stumble? [Re: vastergotland] #106516
12/25/08 01:54 PM
12/25/08 01:54 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Quote:

Judas did not come to the point of surrendering himself fully to Christ. He did not give up his worldly ambition or his love of money. While he accepted the position of a minister of Christ, he did not bring himself under the divine molding. He felt that he could retain his own judgment and opinions, and he cultivated a disposition to criticize and accuse. {DA 716.4}

This is what really led to Judas betraying Christ, but then, did any of the other disciples fully surrender themselves to Christ at that time?

We know that Peter denied Christ, but later repented and fully surrendered himself to Christ, however, as the following quote shows, Judas didn't really repent, but only confessed and acknowledged Christ in the same way that the lost will do just before they are consumed by the lake of fire. Judas never did fully surrender himself to Christ. His final act was to hang himself.
Quote:

. . . Judas now cast himself at the feet of Jesus, acknowledging Him to be the Son of God, and entreating Him to deliver Himself. The Saviour did not reproach His betrayer. He knew that Judas did not repent; his confession was forced from his guilty soul by an awful sense of condemnation and a looking for of judgment, but he felt no deep, heartbreaking grief that he had betrayed the spotless Son of God, and denied the Holy One of Israel. Yet Jesus spoke no word of condemnation. He looked pityingly upon Judas, and said, For this hour came I into the world. {DA 722.2}

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Re: Who was Judas Iscariot and what made him stumble? [Re: Rick H] #106549
12/26/08 02:46 AM
12/26/08 02:46 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
well if simon was an uncle, or some other kind of relative of the sisters and lazarus, he certainly was not a great relative, since according to egw he led mary into sin.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Who was Judas Iscariot and what made him stumble? [Re: teresaq] #106553
12/26/08 07:56 AM
12/26/08 07:56 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
From wiki:

Quote:
These "pieces of silver" were most likely intended to be understood as silver Tyrian shekels.

Regarding the value of a Tyrian shekel:

Quote:
(It) contains $7-$8 USD value of silver

So 30 pieces of silver, in today's money (U.S.) would be a little over $200.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!