HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,206 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: teresaq] #106689
12/29/08 02:20 AM
12/29/08 02:20 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
M: Jesus became like us so we can be like Him.

T: you dont see that as just a bit confusing? should i become an alcoholic so the alcoholic can become like what i was before i became an alcoholic? if Jesus became like me, how is He different? if He is like me than i am like Him.

Seems to me this thought is borne out in the following Scriptures:

Romans
8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

2 Corinthians
5:21 For he hath made him [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Hebrews
2:16 For verily he took not on [him the nature of] angels; but he took on [him] the seed of Abraham.
2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto [his] brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things [pertaining] to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
2:18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Hebrews
4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as [we are, yet] without sin.

1 John
3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Mountain Man] #106690
12/29/08 02:32 AM
12/29/08 02:32 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - Ellen agrees with the passages posted above:

Christ lived the law of God in humanity, and so may man do if he will by faith take hold on the strong and mighty One for strength. {TM 282.3}

Christ came to live the law in His human character in just that way in which all may live the law in human nature if they will do as Christ was doing. {3SM 129.4}

"The prince of this world cometh," said Jesus, "and hath nothing in me." There was in Him nothing that responded to Satan's sophistry. He did not consent to sin. Not even by a thought did He yield to temptation. So may it be with us. Christ's humanity was united with divinity; He was fitted for the conflict by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. {RC 308.6}

God was manifested in Him that He might be manifested in them. Jesus revealed no qualities, and exercised no powers, that men may not have through faith in Him. His perfect humanity is that which all His followers may possess, if they will be in subjection to God as He was. {DA 664.4}

Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Mountain Man] #106697
12/29/08 05:21 AM
12/29/08 05:21 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
M: Jesus became like us so we can be like Him.

sorry mm. i was reading it in one light when you meant it in another.

this is the light you meant it in i believe.

Quote:
The Redeemer of the world clothed his divinity with humanity, that he might reach humanity; for, in order to bring to the world salvation, it was necessary that humanity and divinity should be united. Divinity needed humanity, that humanity might afford a channel of communication between God and man, and humanity needed divinity, that a power from above might restore man to the likeness of God. Christ was God, but he did not appear as God. He veiled the tokens of divinity, which had commanded the homage of angels and called forth the adoration of the universe of God. He made himself of no reputation, took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of sinful flesh. For our sakes he became poor, that we through his poverty might be made rich. {ST, February 20, 1893 par. 7}

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: teresaq] #106698
12/29/08 05:29 AM
12/29/08 05:29 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
She mostly refers to their message mostly as "justification by faith." I think the 1895 sermons are very good in their discussions of Christ's human nature.

I think the most pressing matter to study is God's character. I've found a number of people to be helpful on this subject. I'll mention a few.

First of all, I like what Ellen White wrote, especially in "The Desire of Ages." The first chapter is a wonder, truly a thing of beauty. I know of no better explanation of the Plan of Salvation than that chapter. I've also learned a lot from the chapter "It Is Finished." But it's a great book in general.

The Great Controversy is another book which has had a big influence on me.

Probably third would be "Christ's Object Lessons."

George Fifield has been a big help to me. He wrote a book called "God Is Love," which has been republished. If you're interested in how you can get it, I can tell you how. Here's a taste: http://www.heavenlysanctuary.com/forum/v...ow=5&page=1

Among modern day writers, Ty Gibson has really helped me a lot. Also Greg Boyd has some nice ideas, in particular his book, "Is God to Blame?" The exciting thing about Boyd is that he is not an SDA. Here's something Boyd wrote:

Quote:
All we can and need to know about God is found in Christ, for God fully dwells in and is revealed in Christ. (Is God to Blame, p. 34)

From the SOP:

Quote:
All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. (8T 286)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: teresaq] #106701
12/29/08 10:49 AM
12/29/08 10:49 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
Originally Posted By: teresaq
this seems to make sense to some of you so im not going to get into it. suffice it to say i wont read paulsons article, other than what i skimmed, nor like articles, because, for me, it confuses the issue and does not feed the soul.

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

Jesus became like us so we can be like Him.

you dont see that as just a bit confusing? should i become an alcoholic so the alcoholic can become like what i was before i became an alcoholic?

if Jesus became like me, how is He different? if He is like me than i am like Him.

I agree with you, Teresa.....it is confusing...and much safer to stick with the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy! I believe Paulson with many others brings Jesus down to the unconverted man's level....

Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Tammy Roesch] #106715
12/29/08 05:31 PM
12/29/08 05:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
What Paulson is presenting was the Spirit of Prophecy. He was explaining some misunderstandings that people have in regards to certain phrases used there.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Tammy Roesch] #106737
12/29/08 10:38 PM
12/29/08 10:38 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Tammy Roesch
I agree with you, Teresa.....it is confusing...and much safer to stick with the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy! I believe Paulson with many others brings Jesus down to the unconverted man's level....

But, Tammy and Teresa: is it not precisely the aim of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to reach man at his naturally unconverted level??? Are we not each the unconverted people he needs, yea wants, to lift up with his righteousness - formed using our very own sinful flesh and the power of God?

Is Jesus' humanity not precisely that of Christians, who are saved from death and are yet being saved by Christ's character being imparted piece by piece as we daily exercise justification by faith?

That said, intellectual confusion began before Paulson and his "ilk" had to start defending the recognised church teaching of the Bible and Spirit of Prophecy. As proved by "Touched With Our Feelings" (available from the ABC), our church publications were unanimous that Christ took our sinful, fallen humanity and made it righteous by his life of faith, until...

The first confusing publication was the 1949 edition of Bible Readings for the Home Circle, which deleted the comment that Jesus took himself sinful human nature - allowing confusion to start as to what kind of human nature our Saviour did in fact take.

The book by Thomas Davis, Associate Editor of the Review alongside Herbert Douglass, under Kenneth Woods, from 1966-1983, on this subject said that Jesus' humanity was exactly like a Christian's humanity - spiritually connected to God by the Holy Spirit: something pioneered by Jesus. This means that Jesus is precisely unlike the unconverted man, since Christians are ideally not unconverted, but experientially, i.e. inwardly from mind to character, righteous by faith...BUT only because Jesus sorted out the higher and lower natures of sinful humanity (SOP points, hence this thread), producing his own perfect righteousness, and, having saved mankind from the eternal death due sin itself - let alone our actions, thus consecrating the path to Christian perfection (A T Jones' title of his commentary on Hebrews) for us to walk.

Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Tom] #106738
12/29/08 10:42 PM
12/29/08 10:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The idea that Jesus assumed the "form and nature" of Adam before the Fall is in direct contradiction to what Ellen wrote about Jesus' human form and nature. Listen:

He sent His Son into the world, that through His taking the human form and nature, humanity and divinity combined in Him would elevate man in the scale of moral value with God. {1SM 340.3}

It was in the order of God that Christ should take upon himself the form and nature of fallen man, that he might be made perfect through suffering, and endure himself the strength of Satan's temptations, that he might the better know how to succor those who should be tempted. {4aSG 115.3}

Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Mountain Man] #106739
12/29/08 10:52 PM
12/29/08 10:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Colin, I find it interesting that Ellen makes it clear that the righteous traits of character Jesus developed throughout His life on earth was developed with same form and nature all of us inherited at birth and in the same way born again believers develop righteous traits of character. Of course, like sunlight outshines candlelight, Jesus achieved a level of maturation that none of us will be able to equal throughout eternity.

Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Mountain Man] #106741
12/29/08 11:22 PM
12/29/08 11:22 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
so Jesus became as bad as us, but we cant be as good as He "became"?

Last edited by teresaq; 12/29/08 11:22 PM.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!