HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,614
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 18
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Tom] #107145
01/05/09 06:32 PM
01/05/09 06:32 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Arnold, It's difficult to believe that he would say if you looked at things in too much detail you would become confused. Perhaps you understood his intent, which I know you've done with me. Citing the part of the post where he says what you claimed seems like it would be OK. If you think not, you could PM it to me.

I hope this isn't against the rules (too much).

"I urge you strongly to resist the inclination to indulge in such in-depth specificity, and to reserve such queries for when we sit together with our Lord under the tree of life."

There are others, but I'm not good with the search function of gmail.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: asygo] #107147
01/05/09 06:40 PM
01/05/09 06:40 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Here's another one I found: Again, it seems, you are yielding to the propensity (perhaps even an evil one!) to get Talmudic on us, with all your hairsplitting and technicalities!

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: asygo] #107150
01/05/09 07:51 PM
01/05/09 07:51 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Talmudic, eh???... eek

Sounds like KP is taking Sister White's advice not to delve deeper into justification and sanctification than is necessary for our salvation. You and he appear to differ on what is enough depth, but he is standing firm, having studied out Adventism and confronted non-Adventist views as he has, including Des Ford, not so(?).

Isn't the reality of sinful humanity - for us and for Jesus, principly the spiritual victory of mind over matter, following the Spirit of Jesus rather than the inclination of the flesh to sin, thus righteous by faith in practice? Christ pioneered that victory of faith over sinful flesh and its assist to every temptation, and that's it. What more should we distinguish on matters of sin, righteousness and faith?

Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Tom] #107158
01/05/09 09:39 PM
01/05/09 09:39 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
She was preaching with Jones and Waggoner. The "same nature as man" is in reference to what Jones and Waggoner preached. Those who heard the message responded, "If Christ had taken our fallen nature, He would have fallen under the same temptations we fall under." Many have this same idea today.

That "Christ could not have the same nature of man" does not mean simply "human nature" is easily seen not to be a viable possibility. No one would make the argument "Christ could not have had human nature (i.e. simply human nature, like unfallen Adam, as opposed to fallen human nature), because if He did, He would have fallen under the same temptations we do."

So to understand "human nature" as anything other than "fallen human nature" not only ignores the historical reality of the statement (Jones and Waggoner's preaching regarding Christ's taking human nature) but would force those to whom Ellen White was responding to make an argument no one would make.

the quote you posted that i got this from is from 1890.

Quote:
O, how Christ longed, how his heart burned, to open to the priests the greater treasures of the truth! But their minds had been cast in such a mold that it was next to an impossibility to reveal to them the truths relating to his kingdom. The Scriptures had not been read aright. The Jews had been looking for the advent of the Messiah, but they had thought he must come in all the glory that will attend his second appearing. Because he did not come with all the majesty of a king, they utterly refused him. But it was not simply because he did not come in splendor that they refused him. It was because he was the embodiment of purity, and they were impure. He walked the earth a man of spotless integrity. Such a character in the midst of degradation and evil, was out of harmony with their desires, and he was abused and despised. His spotless life flashed light upon the hearts of men, and discovered iniquity to them in its odious character. {RH, February 18, 1890 par. 5}
The Son of God was assaulted at every step by the powers of darkness. After his baptism he was driven of the Spirit into the wilderness, and suffered temptation for forty days. Letters have been coming in to me, affirming that Christ could not have had the same nature as man, for if he had, he would have fallen under similar temptations. If he did not have man's nature, he could not be our example. If he was not a partaker of our nature, he could not have been tempted as man has been. If it were not possible for him to yield to temptation, he could not be our helper. It was a solemn reality that Christ came to fight the battles as man, in man's behalf. His temptation and victory tell us that humanity must copy the Pattern; man must become a partaker of the divine nature. {RH, February 18, 1890 par. 6}

the 1889 sermons i have by jones do not touch on Christs human nature as they do by the 1895 gc, so im not sure how you come to your conclusions.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: teresaq] #107169
01/06/09 01:20 AM
01/06/09 01:20 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1.I pointed out the following:

Quote:
That "Christ could not have the same nature of man" does not mean simply "human nature" is easily seen not to be a viable possibility. No one would make the argument "Christ could not have had human nature (i.e. simply human nature, like unfallen Adam, as opposed to fallen human nature), because if He did, He would have fallen under the same temptations we do."

So just from the question they were raising, it's easy to see that "Christ could not have the same nature of man" means "Christ could not have taken the fallen nature of man." Else the argument doesn't make sense. They weren't arguing that Christ wasn't human, because if He were human, He would have fallen under the same temptation that humans do, but that Christ did not take our fallen human nature, because had He done so, He would have fallen under similar temptations. This latter is an argument people still make. Nobody makes the other argument.

2.She was preaching with both Jones and Waggoner. Waggoner wrote the following in 1889:

Quote:
A little thought will be sufficient to show anybody that if Christ took upon Himself the likeness of man in order that He might redeem man, it must have been sinful man that He was made like, for it is sinful man that He came to redeem. Death could have no power over a sinless man, as Adam was in Eden, and it could not have had any power over Christ, if the Lord had not laid on Him the iniquity of us all. Moreover, the fact that Christ took upon Himself the flesh, not of a sinless being, but of a sinful man, that is, that the flesh which He assumed had all the weaknesses and sinful tendencies to which fallen human nature is subject, is shown by the statement that He "was made of the seed of David according to the flesh." David had all the passions of human nature. He says of himself, "Behold I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me." Ps. 51:5. (Christ And His Righteousness)

http://www.crcbermuda.com/bible/righteou...st-in-the-flesh has more of this if interested.

According to Froom, Waggoner's wife took notes of his 1888 talks, and these talks were printed in Signs of the Times articles, which were later compiled in the book "Christ Our Righteousness" (which was later renamed "Christ And His Righteousness"). The 1888 message of righteousness by faith itself included Christ's human nature.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Tom] #107170
01/06/09 01:22 AM
01/06/09 01:22 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thanks Arnold. Colin expressed my thoughts.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Tom] #107177
01/06/09 02:46 AM
01/06/09 02:46 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
1.I pointed out the following:

Quote:

So just from the question they were raising, it's easy to see that "Christ could not have the same nature of man" means "Christ could not have taken the fallen nature of man." Else the argument doesn't make sense. They weren't arguing that Christ wasn't human, because if He were human, He would have fallen under the same temptation that humans do, but that Christ did not take our fallen human nature, because had He done so, He would have fallen under similar temptations. This latter is an argument people still make. Nobody makes the other argument.

2.She was preaching with both Jones and Waggoner. Waggoner wrote the following in 1889:

Quote:
A little thought will be sufficient to show anybody that if Christ took upon Himself the likeness of man in order that He might redeem man, it must have been sinful man that He was made like, for it is sinful man that He came to redeem. Death could have no power over a sinless man, as Adam was in Eden, and it could not have had any power over Christ, if the Lord had not laid on Him the iniquity of us all. Moreover, the fact that Christ took upon Himself the flesh, not of a sinless being, but of a sinful man, that is, that the flesh which He assumed had all the weaknesses and sinful tendencies to which fallen human nature is subject, is shown by the statement that He "was made of the seed of David according to the flesh." David had all the passions of human nature. He says of himself, "Behold I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me." Ps. 51:5. (Christ And His Righteousness)

http://www.crcbermuda.com/bible/righteou...st-in-the-flesh has more of this if interested.

According to Froom, Waggoner's wife took notes of his 1888 talks, and these talks were printed in Signs of the Times articles, which were later compiled in the book "Christ Our Righteousness" (which was later renamed "Christ And His Righteousness"). The 1888 message of righteousness by faith itself included Christ's human nature.

thanks. i know the history of waggoners 88 book. i may at some point in time come to some of your conclusions, but at this point in time i read ellen white differently than you do. i understand that it does not make sense to you that she would not mean "fallen" human nature.

im not remembering the statement off-hand where there were some who believed Christ only appeared to have human nature, or something to that effect, and that is how i have read her comments. in the context i dont see your point but that she is making another point.

since ellen white said the churchs doctrines could be questioned and studied i would assume that would also apply to jones and waggoners beliefs on certain points. but i cant believe something i really dont see.

nor can you. you honestly see your points. i honestly read them differently.

i think ill save the friendship, at the moment, and let it go. smile at the moment, meaning i may jump in somewhere down the line for some reason.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: teresaq] #107181
01/06/09 04:24 AM
01/06/09 04:24 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I'm not remembering the statement off-hand where there were some who believed Christ only appeared to have human nature, or something to that effect, and that is how i have read her comments.

She herself wrote that Christ did not have make believe human nature, but had a nature like ours (that is, fallen). No one doesn't think Christ was a human being (to have a human nature is synonymous with being a human being).

Quote:
In the context, I don't see your point but that she is making another point.

It's very easy to see. Letters were coming to her regarding Christ's human nature. Why? Because this is what Jones and Waggoner were preaching; they preached that Christ took our fallen nature. Ellen White said the same thing. For example:

Quote:
By thus taking humanity, he honored humanity. Having taken our fallen nature, he showed what it might become, by accepting the ample provision he has made for it, and by becoming partaker of the divine nature. (1888 Mat. 1561)

So she speaks of fallen nature as human nature. In the letters she received, people had questions regarding what Jones and Waggoner taught, which is that Christ our human nature. Not a human nature (no one would have any difficulties with this) but our human nature. Why? Because if He had our human nature (i.e. fallen) He would have fallen under the same temptations we do. Now these questions are easy to understand, and are questions that many today have.

I don't understand your idea, that what she meant was that people were questioning whether or not Christ had a human nature, because if He did (i.e. He were human) He would fall under similar temptations as we do. Everyone believes Christ was human, and that He was tempted as a human being.

Please take into account that this quote is in the context of what Jones and Waggoner would have been preaching.

Anyway, this is just one thing. There's lots of evidence that EGW was post-lapsarian. For example, just to name one thing, she endorsed W. W. Prescott's sermon, "The Word Made Flesh," calling it truth "separated from error," whose subject matter was that Christ had the same sinful flesh that we have.

Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Colin] #107182
01/06/09 06:15 AM
01/06/09 06:15 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
Talmudic, eh???... eek

Sounds like KP is taking Sister White's advice not to delve deeper into justification and sanctification than is necessary for our salvation. You and he appear to differ on what is enough depth, but he is standing firm, having studied out Adventism and confronted non-Adventist views as he has, including Des Ford, not so(?).

He must be right. He is, after all, THE Kevin Paulson. What was I thinking..... crazy

Others have said as much to me. They said that Jesus loves us and will not let anyone slip out of His hands, so I shouldn't sweat over all this digging I like to do. Just let go and let God. Maybe they were right also.

But, incorrigible me, I like to know, for myself, in Whom I believe.dunno

Originally Posted By: Colin
Isn't the reality of sinful humanity - for us and for Jesus, principly the spiritual victory of mind over matter, following the Spirit of Jesus rather than the inclination of the flesh to sin, thus righteous by faith in practice? Christ pioneered that victory of faith over sinful flesh and its assist to every temptation, and that's it. What more should we distinguish on matters of sin, righteousness and faith?

Yes, spiritual victory of mind over matter. In which nature does that happen, higher or lower? Where does sin happen, in the higher or lower nature? In what sense, according to KP, was Jesus like us, the higher or lower nature?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Tom] #107184
01/06/09 06:26 AM
01/06/09 06:26 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Regarding character/nature, I believe it's similar to the one which goes something like "Just what He was in human nature, you may be by faith in Him."

I thought you were saying that, in that quote, she was using "character" and "nature" differently. This time, you seem to be saying that Christ's "human nature" corresponds to His "human character" in the quote. You've lost me. Are they or are they not equivalent in the quote?

Regarding character, character is developed, so a newborn would have very little, if any, character.

A newborn would have very little, if any, thoughts and feelings. OK. Most postlapsarians I've come across say that.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!