HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,614
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 18
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Tom] #107456
01/11/09 08:17 PM
01/11/09 08:17 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
Elder E. J. Waggoner had the privilege granted him of speaking plainly and presenting his views upon justification by faith and the righteousness of Christ in relation to the law. This was no new light, but it was old light placed where it should be in the third angel's message. . . . What is the burden of that message? John sees a people. He says, "Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus" (Revelation 14:12). This people John beholds just before he sees the Son of man "having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle" (verse 14). {3SM 168.1}
The faith of Jesus has been overlooked and treated in an indifferent, careless manner. It has not occupied the prominent position in which it was revealed to John. Faith in Christ as the sinner's only hope has been largely left out, not only of the discourses given but of the religious experience of very many who claim to believe the third angel's message. {3SM 168.2}
At this meeting I bore testimony that the most precious light had been shining forth from the Scriptures in the presentation of the great subject of the righteousness of Christ connected with the law, which should be constantly kept before the sinner as his only hope of salvation. This was not new light to me, for it had come to me from higher authority for the last forty-four years, and I had presented it to our people by pen and voice in the testimonies of His Spirit. But very few had responded except by assent to the testimonies borne upon this subject. There was altogether too little spoken and written upon this great question. The discourses of some might be correctly represented as like the offering of Cain--Christless. {3SM 168.3}

Quote:
When I stated before my brethren that I had heard for the first time the views of Elder E. J. Waggoner, some did not believe me. I stated that I had heard precious truths uttered that I could respond to with all my heart, for had not these great and glorious truths, the righteousness of Christ and the entire sacrifice made in behalf of man, been imprinted indelibly on my mind by the Spirit of God? Has not this subject been presented in the testimonies again and again? When the Lord had given to my brethren the burden to proclaim this message I felt inexpressibly grateful to God, for I knew it was the message for this time. {3SM 172.1}
The third angel's message is the proclamation of the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus Christ. The commandments of God have been proclaimed, but the faith of Jesus Christ has not been proclaimed by Seventh-day Adventists as of equal importance, the law and the gospel going hand in hand. I cannot find language to express this subject in its fullness. {3SM 172.2}
"The faith of Jesus." It is talked of, but not understood. What constitutes the faith of Jesus, that belongs to the third angel's message? Jesus becoming our sin-bearer that He might become our sin-pardoning Saviour. He was treated as we deserve to be treated. He came to our world and took our sins that we might take His righteousness. And faith in the ability of Christ to save us amply and fully and entirely is the faith of Jesus. {3SM 172.3}

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: teresaq] #107468
01/12/09 03:43 AM
01/12/09 03:43 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
teresa, you can take a look at W. W. Prescott's sermon, which was about Christ's taking our sinful flesh, and take a look at it, as well as her endorsement of it, and see that her endorsement of it was similar to what you put in bold red from 3SM, as well as the context of Prescott's sermon being similar to what Jones and Waggoner taught.

This is a small portion of the sermon:

Quote:
So you see that what the Scripture states very plainly is that Jesus Christ had exactly the same flesh that we bear,—flesh of sin, flesh in which we sin, flesh, however, in which He did not sin, but He bore our sins in that flesh of sin. Do not set this point aside. No matter how you may have looked at it in the past, look at it now as it is in the word; and the more you look at it in that way, the more reason you will have to thank God that it is so.

EGW endorsed this sermon as truth "separated from error," as well as using language similar to the 3SM quote.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: teresaq] #107469
01/12/09 03:58 AM
01/12/09 03:58 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Quote:
Luk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Jesus

Quote:
Psa 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

me

No, Teresa: the difference is in his divinity - which we do not have, no in our humanity, which he did have - for obvious reasons, like being our Saviour with a meritorious character, etc.

Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: teresaq] #107470
01/12/09 04:06 AM
01/12/09 04:06 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Those two long quotes from Ellen White, Teresa, are good. That was as good as she could find words to express what she heard from them: they said a lot more than just "look to Jesus" before you are led by him to keep his faith and do his Commandments...
That's why one reads their material which enjoyed her endorsement to fathom out what else they found in Scripture of Christ and us.

Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Colin] #107475
01/12/09 04:50 AM
01/12/09 04:50 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
Of what use is Jesus' use of the higher human nature to us unless its mastery is over the lower, sinful human nature or flesh? We do want to know about Jesus' victory of faith, but unless that victory included conquering sin in our flesh, all his righteousness is of no use to us, his brethren.

Preserving that truth of our common factor with our Saviour is what matters - as KP is trying to, and that's the essence of RBF by the Gospel of Jesus. Thereby the truth is clear enough, not so? If not, how not

i dont have to see Jesus in the same light you do to know that He has the power to give me victory in my life.

no brother. that Jesus was somehow sinful like us is not the essence of righteousness by faith.

Quote:
The third angel's message is the proclamation of the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus Christ. The commandments of God have been proclaimed, but the faith of Jesus Christ has not been proclaimed by Seventh-day Adventists as of equal importance, the law and the gospel going hand in hand. I cannot find language to express this subject in its fullness. {3SM 172.2}
"The faith of Jesus." It is talked of, but not understood. What constitutes the faith of Jesus, that belongs to the third angel's message? Jesus becoming our sin-bearer that He might become our sin-pardoning Saviour. He was treated as we deserve to be treated. He came to our world and took our sins that we might take His righteousness. And faith in the ability of Christ to save us amply and fully and entirely is the faith of Jesus. {3SM 172.3}
The only safety for the Israelites was blood upon the doorposts. God said, "When I see the blood, I will pass over you" (Exodus 12:13). All other devices for safety would be without avail. Nothing but the blood on the doorposts would bar the way that the angel of death should not enter. There is salvation for the sinner in the blood of Jesus Christ alone, which cleanseth us from all sin. The man with a cultivated intellect may have vast stores of knowledge, he may engage in theological speculations, he may be great and honored of men and be considered the repository of knowledge, but unless he has a saving knowledge of Christ crucified for him, and by faith lays hold of the righteousness of Christ, he is lost. Christ "was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed" (Isaiah 53:5). "Saved by the blood of Jesus Christ," will be our only hope for time and our song throughout eternity. {3SM 172.4}

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Tom] #107476
01/12/09 05:01 AM
01/12/09 05:01 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
=Tom]teresa, you can take a look at W. W. Prescott's sermon, which was about Christ's taking our sinful flesh, and take a look at it, as well as her endorsement of it, and see that her endorsement of it was similar to what you put in bold red from 3SM, as well as the context of Prescott's sermon being similar to what Jones and Waggoner taught.

out of curiousity why didnt you put the source of her statement?

Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Colin] #107477
01/12/09 05:06 AM
01/12/09 05:06 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Quote:
Luk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Jesus

Quote:
Psa 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

me

No, Teresa: the difference is in his divinity - which we do not have, no in our humanity, which he did have - for obvious reasons, like being our Saviour with a meritorious character, etc.

i dont understand the point you are making. perhaps you could tell me what you thought i got from these verse.

Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Colin] #107478
01/12/09 05:11 AM
01/12/09 05:11 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Those two long quotes from Ellen White, Teresa, are good. That was as good as she could find words to express what she heard from them: they said a lot more than just "look to Jesus" before you are led by him to keep his faith and do his Commandments...
That's why one reads their material which enjoyed her endorsement to fathom out what else they found in Scripture of Christ and us.

im lost as to your point,also.

mostly what i hear from some of you was Jesus was "like us" but i dont hear anything of what i consider the message. that is why i ask if any of you know it.

has the "war" taken over the attention?

Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: teresaq] #107483
01/12/09 11:46 AM
01/12/09 11:46 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Take a look at the 10 points listed, via the link of that name, on the home page of www.gospel-herald.com for a pretty thorough coverage of the message, as thus far suggested: this list was drawn up by the voluntary Message Study Committee, a group of pastors and laity existing since about 1985 out of pure frustration at the church's lack of study into the matter amid continuing confusion about the gospel as a church, let alone just what was preached by Waggoner and Jones.

It hasn't been the only effort to recover whatever has been lost from view while the church claims all is well. It is the most well known, for it's honourary leaders, Elder Robert Wieland (now 93, I think) and Elder Donald Short (deceased a few years ago, aged 90-odd; he was older), jointly wrote a bombshell of a letter (at least 60 pages) to the GC ExCom, the highest committee in the church, in 1950, claiming we had lost the meaning of the 1888 message of righteousness of faith and were resorting to false Christ worship, citing Sister White's warning of turning to Baal worship. They were both American missionaries to eastern and southern Africa, respectively, and had great frustrations in the field, but agreed, having met for the first time on the boat on their first holiday trip back to the States in the autumn of 1949, and a winter of research in the White Estate vault and the seminary archives, after the 1950 GC Session in San Francisco, that they had to respond to the call for revival and up holding Christ, at the Session, by challenging the leadership on its confusion over Christ. They first signed the one page letter Wieland had drafted on his own convictions - only Short, of all the brethern Wieland approached, said, "I'll sign that." - and then their longer document was demanded: it saved their ministerial creditials and missionary posts: Wieland eventually retired as the All Africa Editor, at least across central Africa - he was fluent in Swahili - of all the publishing houses; Short was editor of the (then) Sentinel Publishing House in Cape Town (the 'house' has been sold in the last 20 years; publishin now operates out of the Union Conference building, in Bloemfontein, Orange Free State). Their challenge was declined, but a few copies of the document escaped the withdrawal of them by the two missionaries from their friends - having shared several copies while under examination by the Executive Committee, on instruction to withdraw the document from circulation; those leaked copies inspired several to dig deeper for truth - the read had strangely warmed the heart, which is why Wieland and Short wrote it in the first place, for they had been strangely warmed by Waggoner's The Glad Tidings commentary on Galatians, on the law and gospel..., but it also sparked Robert Brinsmead's Sanctuary Awakening movement, which went off the rails. The 1987 "1888 Re-Examined" was the same document, edited for lay readership.

Those two missionaries in Africa have always only wanted the church leadership to recover the 1888 message from the 1888 messengers themselves: republish and reclaim from their books the gems of truth which thrilled Ellen White like nothig else ever did: she stated that it was the loud cry message of Rev 18, by which the earth is yet to "lightened with his glory". That's BIG GUNS!...

In essence, grace is so strong and effective it has intervened in human affairs and history to link us to itself in Christ taking our sinful, corporate nature and actually saving the whole world by his consequent life, death and resurrection, so that we may indeed have faith in him to know the peace of God. Christ's actions saved and reconciled the world to God, but we must believe it to experience it: thus,...as the church today is rather loath to state openly, justification by faith has a regenerating element, recreating our inner man, an experience not located or part of sanctification, where it is rather left by our preaching and literature by statement and by not stating the case when just saying we should follow God.

To be yet more concise: grace is sovereignly effected for us in Christ's person & actions: that he rose from the dead makes him the world's actual redeemer because he is, not because the world knows it - which it doesn't, obviously! He is their redeemer whether they like it or not.

This is the fulfilment of the everlasting covenant: yes, the "two covenants" - old and new, was also an issue at Minneapolis, and Sister White endorsed Waggoner on his view. We do not clearly present the truth on the two covenants - law or grace, yet, still, today...!!...A CD has been compiled by a pastor in the States documenting our confusion in our literature on the covenants, but the truth itself is that the old and new covenants are simultaneous and have run throughout history side by side, which is ultimately common sense, anyway!...it expresses the fact that we act either by human will or the will of God by faith - we have a constant choice, and Israel, at Sinai, opted for human will - check Ex 19:8. The rest of that chapter is likely God dramatically trying to wake them up to their stupidity in their endeavour, without breaking their support for Moses at the same time.

I'll stop here.

Last edited by Colin; 01/12/09 12:38 PM.
Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Colin] #107486
01/12/09 06:45 PM
01/12/09 06:45 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
that is why i ask if any of you know it.

has the "war" taken over the attention?

thank you for the time and effort you put into your reply. smile

i had to read for quite a ways before i saw some semblance of an answer to my first question, but it was there.

i have another question.

if my question(s) were misread/misunderstood, how would one know if s/he is reading anything else correctly?

Reply Quote
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!