HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 100 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #106923
01/01/09 08:03 AM
01/01/09 08:03 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
you ever wonder about that mist coming up from the ground that watered the earth? did the earth have like pores or something?

was it Gods controlled "watering system" like underground sprinklers?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #106927
01/01/09 12:04 PM
01/01/09 12:04 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: teresaq
you ever wonder about that mist coming up from the ground that watered the earth? did the earth have like pores or something?

was it Gods controlled "watering system" like underground sprinklers?

That's an interesting question. Over 10 years ago I saw a video made from a scientist/creationist who was presenting 7 day creation. He said that today they can compress water as into a form as hard as steel.

Originally Posted By: simpleGoogleSearch

You can compress water, or almost any material. However, it requires a great deal of pressure to accomplish a little compression. For that reason, liquids and solids are sometimes referred to as being incompressible.

To understand what happens, remember that all matter is composed of a collection of atoms. Even though matter seems to be very solid, in actuality, the atoms are relative far apart, and matter is mostly empty space. However, due to the forces between the molecules, they strongly resist being pressed closer together, but they can be. You probably have experienced compressing something as hard as steel. Have you ever bounced a steel ball bearing off a sidewalk? When you do that, the 'bounce' is due to compressing the steel ball, just a tiny little spot that comes into contact with the sidewalk. It compresses and then springs back, causing the bounce.

The water at the bottom of the ocean is compressed by the weight of the water above it all the way to the surface, and is more dense than the water at the surface.

A consequence of compressing a fluid is that the viscosity, that is the resistance of the fluid to flow, also increases as the density increases. This is because the atoms are forced closer together, and thus cannot slip by each other as easily as they can when the fluid is at atmospheric pressure.

He used this fact to say that the firmament/expanse of day 2 of creation was a shield of compressed water as hard as steel that surrounded the earth like a bubble, that had many function like maintaining the temperature on earth even, filtering unwanted rays, bringing up dew from the ground as you see inside a greenhouse, etc...

Originally Posted By: Strong's H7549 - raqiya`

1) extended surface (solid), expanse, firmament
-a) expanse (flat as base, support)
-b) firmament (of vault of heaven supporting waters above)

1) considered by Hebrews as solid and supporting 'waters' above

Since this subject is about "Does God Punish?". Later on he explains that the water from the flood came from this shield. It was broken by a force that decompressed that water and it fell on the earth as rain. Heavy rain that is. He also elaborated on how the shield was broken, it came from two factors :
#1 The mind of practically all human was continously in disharmony(sin) with the heavenly family. The unification of earths sinful mind created a type of wavelenght that crashed(like thunderstorm (+) with (-)) with the wavelenght of the heavenly wavelenght. (please excuse my poor explaination here, but it's been a long time I saw this video)
#2. He brought out a text which I thought was in Peter, but can't seem to find it. Something to do with the springs under the foundation of the earth broke? I don't remember this very well, but remember the picture which he showed a type of geyser of water that hit the compressed shield of water.

#1 and #2 combined broke the sheild and the water fell on the earth.

I don't want to get into proving the validity of his presentation, but it gave me a strong impression that brings my #5 point:

#5. there's lots of things in nature and it's laws governing this world and the consequencial effect of sin, is beyond our knowledge today. EGW says, God never brakes a law of nature, but he use them for the purpose of eternity.

Originally Posted By: Elle

1. Accountability Language: God takes responsibility of sin because he is the creator and created the angels and man with freedom of choice. Therefore, at times in the Bible God speaks in such a way that denote that accountability. For example, He said he hardened Pharaoh's heart(Ex 9:12; 10:1,20, 27), but in reality we know that Pharaoh hardened his own heart(Ex 8:15, 32; 9:34; 11:9). So we see this language at various places in the Bible.

2. His omniscient(all knowing, foreknowledge of future): Because of this foreknowledge of sin and events, He uses another form of language denoting this like in Ex 10:1-2. It is a form of warning so we can exercise our power of choice. Despite his foreknowledge of events, He doesn’t use it to control our power of choice for selfish reason like to keep Himself on the throne, but uses it to insure that His universe will be an everlasting harmonious and wonderful place for all His children. His perfect ways of dealing with sin with the cross being at the center of it will be for us an everlasting study.
Originally Posted By: Ex 10:1-2
And the LORD said unto Moses, Go in unto Pharaoh: for I have hardened his heart, and the heart of his servants, that I might show these my signs before him: And that thou mayest tell in the ears of thy son, and of thy son's son, what things I have wrought in Egypt, and my signs which I have done among them; that ye may know how that I am the LORD

3. He allows judgment to come from different sources : for example he calls Nebuchadnezzar his servant because His judgment came through him. Somewhere in the Bible which I can’t locate where he calls Lucifer his servant also for the same reason, to bring Judgment. Isn’t God’s Judgment already pronounce before he created the worlds? That whosoever believeth in Him shall have everlasting life….He that doesn’t believe, is already judged... John 3:16,18. I believe God reluctantly withdraws his protection(often warns before hand many time what's coming ahead to give us a chance to exercise our power of choice) and allows our enemies, natural disasters, course of events to take it’s course, which is often referred in the Bible as God’s Judgment. Again, it is a dimension of accountability, foreknowledge, and warning language employed to let us know what's coming.

Originally Posted By: Jeremiah 25:9

‘I will summon all the peoples of the north and my servant Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon,’ declares the Lord, ‘and I will bring them against this land and its inhabitants and against all the surrounding nations. I will completely destroy them and make them an object of horror and scorn, and an everlasting ruin.’ "

4. This one is quite fascinating to me in regards the choice of word God uses to describes the destruction of Satan :

Originally Posted By: Ez 28:18
Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.
This is the way I understand this: God holds all our being together(molecules, protons, neutrons, quartz, etc…) These maintained high forces baffle physicist because it breaks the law of entropy(energy disperse over time)but we know from Col 1:17 that Jesus holds all things together. At the end of the millennium, those who choose not to be with God, Jesus will grant their request and withdraw his power in holding their being together. The tremendous release of energy from all the different levels of forces(at the level of protons and neutrons of all matter, theirs even more forces that holds quartz together that compose the neutrons and protons, and any other forces that holds our being together will be released)will be like fire. As far as I see it, that day the destruction will come "from the midst of" their(the rebellious) being.

Tom, you mentioned that you disagree partially with what I said in #2. God's omniscient. I would like to hear it and if there's no post started on this subject, some time in the futur, I would like to discuss about it. But right now, I have enough on my plate.

Blessings
Re: does God punish? [Re: Elle] #106937
01/01/09 06:12 PM
01/01/09 06:12 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
thats interesting because we seem to have a contradiction in these two verses.

Rev 20:9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.

Ez 28:18 Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.

is it one or the other, or does one explain the other?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #106947
01/01/09 07:52 PM
01/01/09 07:52 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think if we think of these things as literal fire, yes, there would be a contradiction. However, if we understand that these visions may involve symbolism, and the prophets simply recorded what they saw, there need not be any contradiction.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #106948
01/01/09 07:55 PM
01/01/09 07:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, you mentioned that you disagree partially with what I said in #2. God's omniscient. I would like to hear it and if there's no post started on this subject, some time in the futur, I would like to discuss about it. But right now, I have enough on my plate.

Ok. There are some threads on this subject here. Maybe someone will resurrect one. In the meantime, take a look at the last paragraph or two of "The Desire of Ages" page 49 when you have time, and we can use that as a starting off point whenever you'd like to discuss this.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #107074
01/04/09 03:12 PM
01/04/09 03:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
i forgot one of the most important ones.

1Sa 8:5 And said unto him, Behold, thou art old, and thy sons walk not in thy ways: now make us a king to judge us like all the nations.
1Sa 8:7 And the LORD said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign over them.

Jdg 17:6 In those days there was no king in Israel, but every man did that which was right in his own eyes.
Jdg 21:25 In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes.

1Sa 8:9 Now therefore hearken unto their voice: howbeit yet protest solemnly unto them, and shew them the manner of the king that shall reign over them.
1Sa 8:10 And Samuel told all the words of the LORD unto the people that asked of him a king.
1Sa 8:11 And he said, This will be the manner of the king that shall reign over you: He will take your sons, and appoint them for himself, for his chariots, and to be his horsemen; and some shall run before his chariots.
1Sa 8:12 And he will appoint him captains over thousands, and captains over fifties; and will set them to ear his ground, and to reap his harvest, and to make his instruments of war, and instruments of his chariots.
1Sa 8:13 And he will take your daughters to be confectionaries, and to be cooks, and to be bakers.
1Sa 8:14 And he will take your fields, and your vineyards, and your oliveyards, even the best of them, and give them to his servants.
1Sa 8:15 And he will take the tenth of your seed, and of your vineyards, and give to his officers, and to his servants.
1Sa 8:16 And he will take your menservants, and your maidservants, and your goodliest young men, and your asses, and put them to his work.
1Sa 8:17 He will take the tenth of your sheep: and ye shall be his servants.
1Sa 8:18 And ye shall cry out in that day because of your king which ye shall have chosen you; and the LORD will not hear you in that day.

God spelled it out a long time before Samuel. Having a king would have been a blessing if he had followed in the footsteps of Moses. Here's what He instructed Moses about it:

Deuteronomy
17:14 When thou art come unto the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt possess it, and shalt dwell therein, and shalt say, I will set a king over me, like as all the nations that [are] about me;
17:15 Thou shalt in any wise set [him] king over thee, whom the LORD thy God shall choose: [one] from among thy brethren shalt thou set king over thee: thou mayest not set a stranger over thee, which [is] not thy brother.
17:16 But he shall not multiply horses to himself, nor cause the people to return to Egypt, to the end that he should multiply horses: forasmuch as the LORD hath said unto you, Ye shall henceforth return no more that way.
17:17 Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.
17:18 And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of [that which is] before the priests the Levites:
17:19 And it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the LORD his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them:
17:20 That his heart be not lifted up above his brethren, and that he turn not aside from the commandment, [to] the right hand, or [to] the left: to the end that he may prolong [his] days in his kingdom, he, and his children, in the midst of Israel.

Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #107075
01/04/09 03:25 PM
01/04/09 03:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Teresaq, thank you. Your examples prove that God permitted divorce and polygamy to accommodate their perverted desires. Now, do you think we can apply this principle elsewhere? For example, based on the passages you posted, can we deduce that God must have commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer to accommodate their perverted desires?

t: is there any possiblity that it is possible? that is probably the most pertinent question.

I'm asking you. I've made my position clear. My answer is, No, to the question - "Based on the passages you posted, can we deduce that God must have commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer to accommodate their perverted desires?"

Quote:
t: is "perverted desires" the most appropriate description? how about "perverted thinking"?

It depends on how you answer the question above. From my perspective there was nothing perverted about the thinking or the desires of the Jews in these two specific cases (e.g. the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer). They came to Moses because they were not sure what to do? Unlike the Jews who brought the woman caught in the act of adultery to Jesus, it was not in their mind or heart to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer.

Quote:
t: when God said to not steal, should He have spelled it out like He did with not coveting?

In essence He spelled out more clearly all ten commandments in the Law of Moses. Here's how Ellen put it:

But He did not stop with giving them the precepts of the Decalogue. The people had shown themselves so easily led astray that He would leave no door of temptation unguarded. Moses was commanded to write, as God should bid him, judgments and laws giving minute instruction as to what was required. These directions relating to the duty of the people to God, to one another, and to the stranger were only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified and given in a specific manner, that none need err. They were designed to guard the sacredness of the ten precepts engraved on the tables of stone. {PP 364.1}

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #107078
01/04/09 04:38 PM
01/04/09 04:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Ellen wrote:

God controls all these elements; they are his instruments to do his will; he calls them into action to serve his purpose. These fiery issues have been, and will be his agents to blot out from the earth very wicked cities. Like Korah, Dathan and Abiram they go down alive into the pit. These are evidences of God's power. Those who have beheld these burning mountains have been struck with terror at the grandeur of the scene-- pouring forth fire, and flame, and a vast amount of melted ore, drying up rivers and causing them to disappear. They have been filled with awe as though they were beholding the infinite power of God. These manifestations bear the special marks of God's power, and are designed to cause the people of the earth to tremble before him, and to silence those, who like Pharaoh would proudly say, "Who is the Lord that I should obey his voice?" {3SG 80} End Quote.

Tom, I have detailed questions based on this passage.

Originally Posted By: Tom
Originally Posted By: MM
You wrote, “Regarding the questions you wrote, numbered 1 through 4, I already answered them.” Are you referring to this comment, “Regarding your questions, I believe God withdrew His protection which accounted for the earthquake, and did so for the reasons pointed out”? If so, then please go through each one and answer them clearly (so I don’t have to guess what you mean). And then I would like to respond to each of your detailed answers. Here are the questions again (bear in mind they relate specifically to the 3SG 80 quote posted above):

1. Is it God's will and purpose?
2. Does God cause it to happen?
3. Is it an evidence of God's power?
4. Does God do it to cause people to tremble before Him?

You also wrote, “Regarding the other 4 questions, I think the following answers them: 'Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work.'” If so, then I’m still not clear on your answer to all four questions. So, I’ll answer them for you and then you can explain why it’s wrong or right. Okay? Here goes (bear in mind these questions relate specifically to the 3SG 80 quote posted above and my answers on your behalf incorporate the GC 35 quote you posted):

1. Do you believe Satan has ever caused these kinds of things to happen? Yes.
2. If so, do you believe they were evidences of his power? Yes.
3. Do you believe he has ever designed such things to make God look bad? Yes.
4. Do you believe anyone who believes God caused them to happen, or that it was God's will and purpose for them to happen, is deceived? Yes.

How did I do? If we agree on my answers to these questions on your behalf, then we should also be able to agree with the following observations (again, as they relate to the questions and answers above): “You believe Satan caused these things to happen, that they are evidences of his power, that he designed them to make God look bad, and that anyone who believes God caused them to happen, or that it was God's will and purpose for them to happen, is deceived.” Do you agree? NOTE: I understand you were offended when I said you apply these observations to the 3SG 80 quote posted above. But now I’m asking something totally different.

I have another question in relation to the 3SG 80 quote posted above. Do you think Ellen mentioned anything or described any disasters in that quote which you believe Satan caused rather than God? If so, please explain why. If not, please explain why not. Thank you.

T: Regarding the 4 questions, and additional 4 questions, what I think is that God protects us from the evil effects of sin, which can take different forms, including natural disasters, one's own passions (as you pointed out in regards to the Jews in GC1), evil angels, accidents, protection from one's enemies (e.g. Romans, Babylonians, etc.; or personal enemies, e.g. Pharisees/Sadducees and Jesus). These are some that come to mind. We need God's protection for many reasons.

In the case of natural disasters, the power of nature is tremendous. Anyone who can control such power must Himself be very powerful. God regularly controls nature, causing it to run on a proper course, and its power is kept under control. If God were to release His control, nature's power would cause terrible results.

In regards to Korah, it says the earth swallowed him up. Many think this was an earthquake that did this. For example: [an uninspired, thus meaningless, source quoted]

Regarding the question if Satan can do the things mentioned in 3SG 80, sure, he could in general, which I'm sure you know. I don't know what you're asking this, since in the context of 3SG 80, he didn't.

Tom, thank you for the partial answer to my questions, however, in overlooking the rest of them you failed to address the aspects most important to me. Had you addressed all of my questions you would have avoided this problem.

In response to the first of my four detailed questions, you wrote, “We need God's protection for many reasons.” While I agree with this insight, it has nothing to do with the questions I asked. Please go back over the questions and them answer them in detail so I can ponder your answers. Thank you.

In response to the next of my four detailed questions, you wrote, “Regarding the question if Satan can do the things mentioned in 3SG 80, sure, he could in general, which I'm sure you know.” Are saying here that you agree with how I answered the questions on your behalf, and that you agree with the comment I made afterward?

You also wrote, “I don't know what you're asking this, since in the context of 3SG 80, he didn't.” I made it ridiculously clear that “I understand you were offended when I said you apply these observations to the 3SG 80 quote posted above. But now I’m asking something totally different.”

Above I asked, “I have another question in relation to the 3SG 80 quote posted above. Do you think Ellen mentioned anything or described any disasters in that quote which you believe Satan caused rather than God?” Are you saying, No?

Quote:
M: I agree Jesus did things that caused the caviling cowards to tremble, but my question has nothing to with sinners trembling before God. I’m asking about the natural disasters described in 3SG 80. When Jesus cleansed the temple, nothing happened that even remotely resembled sinners “going down alive in the pit” or “fiery issues” burning up large and sinful cities when God withdrew His protection. So again, please name a time when Jesus, while here, withdrew His protection and sinners perished in the kinds of disasters described in 3SG 80. NOTE: So far you haven’t provided an example that actually addresses my question. If you think you already have, then please restate it here for the sake of convenience. Thank you.

T: Regarding the withdrawal of Jesus' protection and bad things happening, I've already addressed this. There's no need to tie this to the events of SG. The general principle expressed in GC 36 is enough: “We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy.” This includes peace and protection of all kinds. That this principle was illustrated by Christ in general is enough; it wasn't necessary that every possible permutation of protection withdrawn => trouble comes be shown.

I wasn’t asking you to post quotes which depict Jesus demonstrating “every possible permutation of protection withdrawn” that happened in the OT. I’m simply asking for a single instance of it. You keep insisting that what happened in 70 AD is an example of Jesus withdrawing His protection while He was here in the flesh. But I keep insisting it didn’t happen while He was here in the flesh. I assume we both agree Jesus returned to heaven in 31 AD. Declaring, “Your house is left unto desolate” in no way demonstrates Jesus withdrawing His protection and “bad things happening”, as you put it. Don’t you think it is time you admit that Jesus did not demonstrate this aspect of God’s character and kingdom while He was here in the flesh?

Quote:
M: Yes, I agree she is talking about Jesus while He was here in the flesh. That’s why I disagree with what you posted above, namely, “. . . all that man can know of God was revealed by the life and character of Jesus Christ during His time with us in the flesh.” In this paraphrase you leave out a key point which is a part of her original statement. Here is her statement with the part you left out underlined. “All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son." Do you see the difference? If so, then please explain it.

T: Here's an example to help you understand that what I wrote is completely accurate. Consider the set of numbers divisible by 5, less than or equal to 100 (i.e. 5, 10, 15, 20, etc.). Consider all the set 10, 20, 30 etc. up to 100. The first set represent "all that man can know about God." The second set represent "all that man needs to know about God." If I said, "all that man needs to know about numbers divisible by 5 and less than or equal 100 is contained in the second set" that might be true (Suppose man doesn't need to know, for some reason, about numbers divisible by 5 which end in 0). However, the statement "all that man can know about numbers divisible by 5 and less than or equal to 100 is contained in the second set" would not be true. But it would be true to say "all that man can know about numbers divisible by 5 and less than or equal to 100 is contained in the first set."

The first set is a superset of the second set. Similarly the statement "all that man can know of God" is a superset of the statement "all that man needs to know of God." That is, there is nothing that man needs to know about God which is not included in those things which man can know about God. So to say that Jesus Christ revealed all that man can know about God is sufficient.

You wrote, “So to say that Jesus Christ revealed all that man can know about God is sufficient.” Unless, of course, you are not correctly defining the phrase “can know”.

Quote:
M: By the way, the phrase "can know" in her statement is referring to man's ability to comprehend. Thus, her meaning is clear, namely, taking into consideration our limited ability to comprehend God, Jesus, while here, revealed everything we need to know about our heavenly Father so that the Holy Spirit can, in turn, empower us to experience rebirth, abide in Jesus, partake of the divine nature, and mature in the fruits of the Spirit. Of course, we need to lay this insight alongside what Jesus told His disciples the night before He died on the cross. Listen:

"I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show it unto you."

Jesus is saying He hadn't revealed everything to them. There was more He wanted to tell them. But it would have to wait until later, at which time He would reveal it to them through the Holy Spirit. We can deduce what Jesus was unable to reveal to them during His time here by comparing what we learn about God in the OT with what we learn about throughout the rest of the NT and the SOP. So far in my studies, it is evident to me that Jesus did not reveal the wrath of God while He was here. He never withdrew His protection and allowed sinners to suffer and die. Nor did He ever command people to kill sinners. There are other things too.

T: Here's what she said: “All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. "No man hath seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him." John 1:18. Taking humanity upon Him, Christ came to be one with humanity and at the same time to reveal our heavenly Father to sinful human beings. (8T 216)

This seems clear to me. I don't think by writing this that she meant "All that man needed to know at the time of Christ, or could know at that time, but not things which man could know at some later time, were revealed by Christ." Otherwise Christ's revelation would not be sufficient, and she would have been honor bound to explain that. She would have had to have written, "NOT all that man needs to know about God was revealed by Christ. In addition to Christ, one should also consider the following to learn what needs to be known of God. (list of items)"

We have a fundamental difference of opinion here. I believe that Christ was a full and complete revelation of God. Even had she not said this here I would believe this. Jesus Christ Himself taught this. What Ellen White said here is no different than what Jesus was saying in John 14 or John 17.

On the other hand, you do not believe Jesus Christ, while here in the flesh, was a full and complete revelation of God. You see Him as a partial revelation of God. So God is sometimes like what Jesus was like while here in the flesh, and sometimes not like that. This is our disagreement.

You wrote, “Otherwise Christ's revelation would not be sufficient, and she would have been honor bound to explain that.” I find this answer interesting in light of your argument elsewhere, namely, that absence of something is not an argument for or against it. You apply this to the “God offered to pardon Lucifer” discussion.

At any rate, no, she is not “honor bound” to say what you said in the immediate context of her statement. As you like to say, we must gather up everything she wrote about it and then formulate a conclusion. This is exactly what I did above. Besides, here statement as it appears in 8T 216 says exactly what I concluded above if we define “can know” in the way I do.

We also have Jesus’ own testimony about it. "I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show it unto you."

Jesus is saying He hadn't revealed everything to them. There was more He wanted to tell them. But it would have to wait until later, at which time He would reveal it to them through the Holy Spirit. We can deduce what Jesus was unable to reveal to them during His time here by comparing what we learn about God in the OT with what we learn about throughout the rest of the NT and the SOP.

So far in my studies, it is evident to me that Jesus did not reveal the wrath of God while He was here. He never withdrew His protection and allowed sinners to suffer and die. Nor did He ever command people to kill sinners. Of course, there are other things, too.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #107082
01/04/09 06:05 PM
01/04/09 06:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: In the case of Saul, no guess work is necessary to understand the truth. During the heat of battle God did not protect Saul from his enemies. An arrow wounded him and he took his life rather than suffer himself to be captured and tortured. None of which would have happened had God protected him.

T: There's no guess work necessary to understand the truth in other cases either. God is the same yesterday, today and forever, and He fully revealed Himself in Christ.

"To understand the truth in other cases" you believe we must insert details that do not exist in the text. God warned us against doing this very thing. "If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book."

Quote:
M: What you said above about "wrong thinking" is interesting. Are you implying God commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer to accommodate their perverted desires on account of their wrong thinking? If so, please explain why. If not, please explain why not. Thank you.

T: If their thinking had been correct, there would have been no necessity to deal with Sabbath-breakers in this way. You don't think we should deal with Sabbath-breakers this way, do you?

I suppose you might answer, "Well we're not in a theocracy." That's true, but I don't think that's the reason the Sabbath-breakers were to dealt with in so draconian a fashion. It was because of the Israelite's ignorance that these draconian measures came up.

In Jesus' time Israel was still a theocracy, and Jesus steadfastly refused any sort of violence of this sort.

I believe God ordered Moses to execute them because they were guilty of sinning willfully, presumptuously. Presumptuousness is incurable. It must be avoided at all cost. Capital punishment serves as a necessary deterrent. "And all the people shall hear, and fear, and do no more presumptuously." But capital punishment also serves another purpose. It testifies that at the end of time God will execute justice and judgment upon sinners. "While He does not delight in vengeance, He will execute judgment upon the transgressors of His law."

You wrote, "If their thinking had been correct, there would have been no necessity to deal with Sabbath-breakers in this way. It was because of the Israelite's ignorance that these draconian measures came up." You are implying God caved in to their erroneous ideas and ordered them to execute capital punishment contrary to His will. But the evidence suggests otherwise. They came to Moses seeking the truth. They genuinely wanted to know what would be the right and righteous thing to do. What God told them to do was the truth as it is in Jesus. "The Lord is coming to execute judgment upon all who obey not the gospel."

You asked, What should we do nowadays with Sabbath-breakers? Yes, of course, things are different since we are no longer under a theocracy. This matters very much. Most of what was required under the OC ended at the cross. I believe executing capital punishment was one of them. Actually, the Jews lost this right under Roman rule.

In the place of capital punishment, Jesus gave the church the authority to disfellowship sinners, which is essentially a death sentence. "Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained. I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

You wrote, "In Jesus' time Israel was still a theocracy, and Jesus steadfastly refused any sort of violence of this sort." Not because capital punishment when administered under a theocracy is evil or violent, but because the Jewish leaders were deserving of capital punishment themselves. None of them were "without sin", therefore, not one of them was qualified to cast the first stone.

Of course, there was also the matter of Roman law which did not allow Jews to execute capital punishment. Jesus complied with Roman law. Not to comply would have constituted a sin and Satan would have won the GC. "Should He acquit the woman, He might be charged with despising the law of Moses. Should He declare her worthy of death, He could be accused to the Romans as one who was assuming authority that belonged only to them." {DA 460.5}

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #107083
01/04/09 06:07 PM
01/04/09 06:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - Tom, I still don't know why you think God commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer. I can guess why, but you hate it when I guess. So just tell me plainly. Please.

Page 15 of 100 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!