HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl), 2,880 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
ellen whites writings altered #107167
01/06/09 12:31 AM
01/06/09 12:31 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
this is from:
http://www.smyrna.org/Books/ff/ff_pdf/The%20Foundation%20of%20Our%20Faith%206th%20Edition.pdf

Quote:
Publishers Alter Quotations
Since her death, there have been statements of Ellen White that have been altered through editing. This editing has produced a different meaning than that which was originally written by the prophet. The following is from a letter written to Elder S. N. Haskell, dated May 30, 1896. This reference
from the 1888 Materials has been directly altered by removing the term “it” for the Spirit and replacing it with “Him” and “He.” page 201

the "proof":
Quote:
the "original"
The Spirit is freely given us of God if we will appreciate and accept it And what is it? The representative of Jesus Christ. It is to be our constant helper. It is through the Spirit that
Christ fulfills the promise, “I will never leave thee nor forsake thee.” “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life”. (The bell is sounding for morning worship, I must stop here). (The 1888 Materials, p. 1538).

the "altered" version:
The Spirit is freely given us of God if we will appreciate and accept Him. And what is He?—the representative of Jesus Christ. He is to be our constant helper. It is through the Spirit that Christ fulfills the promise, “I will never leave thee nor forsake thee.” “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life” (John 6:47). (The bell is sounding for morning worship. I must stop here.)
(Letter 38, 1896, pp. 1-4; Manuscript Releases, vol. 11, p. 35;
Letter to S. N. Haskell, May 30, 1896).

this seems rather cut-and-dried. or is it? smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: teresaq] #107195
01/06/09 09:01 AM
01/06/09 09:01 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Ah, you've found the Smyrna ministry website: yes, they have a fair amount of documentation, and it does appear to be alterations biased in favour of trinitarianism, as I recall off the top of my head.

So what if it's subtle, is there a difference in meaning? In the end, politics in theology can spoil stewardship of literature, not so? Be sure of doctrine from the Bible and sort out the political flack afterwards, eh? More intriguing than this editing, perhaps, is the general, intended content of Coming of the Comforter by Leroy Froom, published in the 20's, which gives the Spirit a personality of personhood independent the Father and Son, a criterion contradictory of the SOP and likely the Bible, yet held by SDA trinitarianism, today, in the SDABC Vol.12.

On the Spirit's pronoun being "it" or "he", "it" isn't exclusively found in the unedited MS of EGW: writers today appearing in the Review, etc, use "it" for the Spirit quite openly, too, so we can best try to avoid repeating history, not so? - that is, not changing our general understanding into something we don't want.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: Colin] #107201
01/06/09 02:35 PM
01/06/09 02:35 PM
H
Harold Fair  Offline
Active Member 2013
Florida, USA
Am I the only person who noted that on one of Stephen Bohr's videos, he changed Ellen White's writing to fit his ideas about who the 24 elders of Revelation 5 and 6 are. He stated that she said that they were from other planets and gave a statement from the Desire of Ages. I happened to have that book open to where he pointed. His statement had her saying, in parenthesis, that the beings from other planets were the 24 elders. My copy of that book had no parentheses. None other that I can find have it, either.
Harold.

Harold T.
Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: teresaq] #107203
01/06/09 03:40 PM
01/06/09 03:40 PM
Rick H  Offline

Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
this is from:
http://www.smyrna.org/Books/ff/ff_pdf/The%20Foundation%20of%20Our%20Faith%206th%20Edition.pdf

Quote:
Since her death, there have been statements of Ellen White that have been altered through editing. This editing has produced a different meaning than that which was originally written by the prophet. The following is from a letter written to Elder S. N. Haskell, dated May 30, 1896. This reference
from the 1888 Materials has been directly altered by removing the term “it” for the Spirit and replacing it with “Him” and “He.” page 201

the "proof":
Quote:
the "original"
The Spirit is freely given us of God if we will appreciate and accept it And what is it? The representative of Jesus Christ. It is to be our constant helper. It is through the Spirit that
Christ fulfills the promise, “I will never leave thee nor forsake thee.” “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life”. (The bell is sounding for morning worship, I must stop here). (The 1888 Materials, p. 1538).

the "altered" version:
The Spirit is freely given us of God if we will appreciate and accept Him. And what is He?—the representative of Jesus Christ. He is to be our constant helper. It is through the Spirit that Christ fulfills the promise, “I will never leave thee nor forsake thee.” “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life” (John 6:47). (The bell is sounding for morning worship. I must stop here.)
(Letter 38, 1896, pp. 1-4; Manuscript Releases, vol. 11, p. 35;
Letter to S. N. Haskell, May 30, 1896).

this seems rather cut-and-dried. or is it? smile

Many of the early leaders like Joseph Bates and James White, and others were originally members of churches that didnt accept the Trinity, in their case the Christian Connection Church which rejected the doctrine of the Trinity. But Ellen White slowly with great care settled this matter as she gained understanding and was guided in this important truth. But she did not use direct confrontation on this as seen in her use of the more subtle 'GodHead' but she was very careful in her editing and oversaw any changes.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: Rick H] #107207
01/06/09 05:33 PM
01/06/09 05:33 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Richard,

Ellen White never compromised the truth. She was never Trinitarian. Such a concept springs from paganism and has been adopted by Rome as the central doctrine of the Roman Catholic faith, upon which her other doctrines hang. Ellen White was a Protesant missionary, not an agent of Rome.

The Trinity is the binding doctrine of the ecumenical movement. Submission to this imposture is required for membership into 'accepted Christianity'. Those outside are labelled a cult and destined for removal - 'irritants' to the established order, as were the Heruli, the Vandal and the Ostrogoths - the three Germanic tribes rooted up the the little horn of Daniel 7 - because they were antitrinitarian.

Virtually all the SDA pioneers on record rejected the Trinity, though most had come from Trinitarian denominations. They wrote strongly against the Trinity and its heathen influence as recorded in the Review and Herald over the decades. These leading men, the principal writers within Adventism, testify in the church records that they squarely rejected the Trinity as an apostate creed:

• James White
• Joseph Bates
• J. H. Waggoner
• John Loughborough
• J. N. Andrews
• Uriah Smith
• A.T. Jones
• E.J. Waggoner
• R. F. Cottrell
..more recently..
• J.S. Washburn
• Charles S. Longacre

Not once did EGW reprove or rebuke them for standing true to the faith. She endorsed these men, their writings and beliefs, though some later fell away.

Her words are clear. She declared the first fifty years to be doctrinally pure:

"Upon this foundation we have been building for the past fifty years." 2SM 207 (1904)

"The truth that has stood firm against the attacks of the enemy for more than half a century must still be the confidence and comfort of God's people" 9T 70

But she wrote that a change would soon come:

"Our religion would be changed. The fundamental principles that have sustained the work for the past fifty years would be accounted as error. A new organization would be established. Books of a new order would be written." 1SM 204 (1904)

She foresaw the apostasy and the return to Roman.

She was a Protestant and straightly rebuked error as with Dr. Kellogg. She never taught the Trinity, nor ever rebuked the men for speaking against it.

She settled no matter in favour of the Trinity as you suggest. She could not be bought & sold.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: gordonb1] #107208
01/06/09 06:05 PM
01/06/09 06:05 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
I'm I understanding what is mentioned above that EGW and the pioneers didn't believe in the Trinity? That means, their's no Holy Spirit and only the Father and the Son?

Blessings
Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: Elle] #107217
01/06/09 07:37 PM
01/06/09 07:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
There's confusion on this point, Elle. When we use the word "Trinity" we mean the same thing as "the Godhead." However, the Trinity is actually a Catholic doctrine which does mean the same thing we have in mind. I'll mention just one example of a difference in thinking. In the Trinity doctrine, Jesus Christ is continuously begotten, meaning that from all eternity, and continuing as we speak, Jesus Christ is being begotten of the Father. I'll guess I'll mention two. The Trinity doctrine goes on to say that these two, the Father and Son, continuously produce the Holy Spirit. So it's not the idea that we have that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three separate individuals.

When I say "we," I mean you and I, as I'm assuming you probably think about this similarly to me.

There's some confusion as to what the Trinity doctrine actually is, but I'm quite confident that everyone on this forum, if they understood what it was, would agree that the Trinity doctrine is false.

Ellen White never used the word "Trinity." It's not just that "Godhead" is more subtle, but the thought being conveyed if very much different than what the Catholic Trinity doctrine encompasses.

Where we, on this forum, would have disagreements are regarding questions like the following:

a.When was Jesus Christ begotten?
b.What does it mean to say that Jesus Christ was begotten?
c.Is Jesus Christ playing a role?
d.Was there a time when Jesus Christ did not exist?
e.Is the Holy Spirit a separate self-aware individual?

I think these questions are probably all clear except for c. What I mean by c. is, is it possible that the Father could have come as the representative of the Godhead, and the Son stayed in heaven and played the role that the Father is playing now? (i.e., the members of the Godhead decided amongst themselves who should be the representative, and it was decided Christ would do this. But they could have designated things differently, so that the Son could have played the role of the Father, and so forth).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: Tom] #107244
01/07/09 02:56 AM
01/07/09 02:56 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
hmmmmm. how interesting. so no one "tested the spirits"? no one went and checked to see if that were true or not?

im mostly in agreement with you, tom. im not getting into the "begotten" thing, tho.

hey guys, if you could take your trinity debate elsewhere, por please....this topic is to find out if in fact ellen whites writings were altered, edited, etc. smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: teresaq] #107249
01/07/09 06:13 AM
01/07/09 06:13 AM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Teresa - Can't say I've verified that particular example of "He" for "it" regarding the Holy Spirit, but it's a common alteration. Having seen several of this type I can atttest to changes of He, Him for "it".

Since you're keen on "testing the spirits", did you check the examples furnished yesterday - Deletion of four pages from the later Great Controversy and addition of a new first chapter to Steps to Christ?

Many alterations were made to lend her writing a Trinity slant, so the issue will crop up if you dig for changes. Have you done any checking?

If someone rips pages out of a book, you'll know it without a missing page count.

Penknife was the word used by Jeremiah. It was liberally employed after the Evangelicals (Donald Barnhouse and Walter Martin) confabbed with the GC officials in the 1950s. Conform or be labelled a cult. So the books were changed. Read the tragic account in 'With Cloak & Dagger" by H.H. Meyer. (Hartland Publications) Equally sad was the expulsion of loyal whistleblower M.L. Andreasen for warning the people in his 'Letters to the Churches' (Teach Services).

If your mind is already made up, there's little point in asking for evidence. Revelation of SOP changes is not an attack on the prophet but instead reveals her true enemies.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: gordonb1] #107255
01/07/09 06:52 AM
01/07/09 06:52 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: gordonb1
Teresa - Can't say I've verified that particular example of "He" for "it" regarding the Holy Spirit, but it's a common alteration. Having seen several of this type I can atttest to changes of He, Him for "it".

the original charges from smyrna:
Quote:

this is from my ellen white cd.
Quote:
The Spirit is freely given us of God if we will appreciate and accept it. And what is it?--the representative of Jesus Christ. It is to be our constant helper. It is through the Spirit that Christ fulfills the promise, "I will never leave thee nor forsake thee." "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life" (John 6:47). (The bell is sounding for morning worship. I must stop here.)--Letter 38, 1896, pp. 1-4. (To S. N. Haskell, May 30, 1896.)

please show me the alleged change.

this is from the egw estate search site.
Quote:
The Spirit is freely given us of God if we will appreciate and accept it. And what is it?--the representative of Jesus Christ. It is to be our constant helper. It is through the Spirit that Christ fulfills the promise, "I will never leave thee nor forsake thee." "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life" (John 6:47). (The bell is sounding for morning worship. I must stop here.)--Letter 38, 1896, pp. 1-4. (To S. N. Haskell, May 30, 1896.) White Estate Washington, D. C. May 21, 1981 {11MR 35.3}

again, please show me the alleged change.

i did it with each charge.

Quote:
If your mind is already made up, there's little point in asking for evidence.

thats funny!! you are not looking like a credible person between statements like that and finding out that the smyrna book is not quite truthful.

but dont let me stop you. keep attacking those who who choose to verify the charges. come the second coming it will all be over.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!