HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl), 2,885 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
ellen whites writings altered #107167
01/06/09 12:31 AM
01/06/09 12:31 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
this is from:
http://www.smyrna.org/Books/ff/ff_pdf/The%20Foundation%20of%20Our%20Faith%206th%20Edition.pdf

Quote:
Publishers Alter Quotations
Since her death, there have been statements of Ellen White that have been altered through editing. This editing has produced a different meaning than that which was originally written by the prophet. The following is from a letter written to Elder S. N. Haskell, dated May 30, 1896. This reference
from the 1888 Materials has been directly altered by removing the term “it” for the Spirit and replacing it with “Him” and “He.” page 201

the "proof":
Quote:
the "original"
The Spirit is freely given us of God if we will appreciate and accept it And what is it? The representative of Jesus Christ. It is to be our constant helper. It is through the Spirit that
Christ fulfills the promise, “I will never leave thee nor forsake thee.” “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life”. (The bell is sounding for morning worship, I must stop here). (The 1888 Materials, p. 1538).

the "altered" version:
The Spirit is freely given us of God if we will appreciate and accept Him. And what is He?—the representative of Jesus Christ. He is to be our constant helper. It is through the Spirit that Christ fulfills the promise, “I will never leave thee nor forsake thee.” “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life” (John 6:47). (The bell is sounding for morning worship. I must stop here.)
(Letter 38, 1896, pp. 1-4; Manuscript Releases, vol. 11, p. 35;
Letter to S. N. Haskell, May 30, 1896).

this seems rather cut-and-dried. or is it? smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: teresaq] #107195
01/06/09 09:01 AM
01/06/09 09:01 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Ah, you've found the Smyrna ministry website: yes, they have a fair amount of documentation, and it does appear to be alterations biased in favour of trinitarianism, as I recall off the top of my head.

So what if it's subtle, is there a difference in meaning? In the end, politics in theology can spoil stewardship of literature, not so? Be sure of doctrine from the Bible and sort out the political flack afterwards, eh? More intriguing than this editing, perhaps, is the general, intended content of Coming of the Comforter by Leroy Froom, published in the 20's, which gives the Spirit a personality of personhood independent the Father and Son, a criterion contradictory of the SOP and likely the Bible, yet held by SDA trinitarianism, today, in the SDABC Vol.12.

On the Spirit's pronoun being "it" or "he", "it" isn't exclusively found in the unedited MS of EGW: writers today appearing in the Review, etc, use "it" for the Spirit quite openly, too, so we can best try to avoid repeating history, not so? - that is, not changing our general understanding into something we don't want.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: Colin] #107201
01/06/09 02:35 PM
01/06/09 02:35 PM
H
Harold Fair  Offline
Active Member 2013
Florida, USA
Am I the only person who noted that on one of Stephen Bohr's videos, he changed Ellen White's writing to fit his ideas about who the 24 elders of Revelation 5 and 6 are. He stated that she said that they were from other planets and gave a statement from the Desire of Ages. I happened to have that book open to where he pointed. His statement had her saying, in parenthesis, that the beings from other planets were the 24 elders. My copy of that book had no parentheses. None other that I can find have it, either.
Harold.

Harold T.
Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: teresaq] #107203
01/06/09 03:40 PM
01/06/09 03:40 PM
Rick H  Offline

Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
this is from:
http://www.smyrna.org/Books/ff/ff_pdf/The%20Foundation%20of%20Our%20Faith%206th%20Edition.pdf

Quote:
Since her death, there have been statements of Ellen White that have been altered through editing. This editing has produced a different meaning than that which was originally written by the prophet. The following is from a letter written to Elder S. N. Haskell, dated May 30, 1896. This reference
from the 1888 Materials has been directly altered by removing the term “it” for the Spirit and replacing it with “Him” and “He.” page 201

the "proof":
Quote:
the "original"
The Spirit is freely given us of God if we will appreciate and accept it And what is it? The representative of Jesus Christ. It is to be our constant helper. It is through the Spirit that
Christ fulfills the promise, “I will never leave thee nor forsake thee.” “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life”. (The bell is sounding for morning worship, I must stop here). (The 1888 Materials, p. 1538).

the "altered" version:
The Spirit is freely given us of God if we will appreciate and accept Him. And what is He?—the representative of Jesus Christ. He is to be our constant helper. It is through the Spirit that Christ fulfills the promise, “I will never leave thee nor forsake thee.” “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life” (John 6:47). (The bell is sounding for morning worship. I must stop here.)
(Letter 38, 1896, pp. 1-4; Manuscript Releases, vol. 11, p. 35;
Letter to S. N. Haskell, May 30, 1896).

this seems rather cut-and-dried. or is it? smile

Many of the early leaders like Joseph Bates and James White, and others were originally members of churches that didnt accept the Trinity, in their case the Christian Connection Church which rejected the doctrine of the Trinity. But Ellen White slowly with great care settled this matter as she gained understanding and was guided in this important truth. But she did not use direct confrontation on this as seen in her use of the more subtle 'GodHead' but she was very careful in her editing and oversaw any changes.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: Rick H] #107207
01/06/09 05:33 PM
01/06/09 05:33 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Richard,

Ellen White never compromised the truth. She was never Trinitarian. Such a concept springs from paganism and has been adopted by Rome as the central doctrine of the Roman Catholic faith, upon which her other doctrines hang. Ellen White was a Protesant missionary, not an agent of Rome.

The Trinity is the binding doctrine of the ecumenical movement. Submission to this imposture is required for membership into 'accepted Christianity'. Those outside are labelled a cult and destined for removal - 'irritants' to the established order, as were the Heruli, the Vandal and the Ostrogoths - the three Germanic tribes rooted up the the little horn of Daniel 7 - because they were antitrinitarian.

Virtually all the SDA pioneers on record rejected the Trinity, though most had come from Trinitarian denominations. They wrote strongly against the Trinity and its heathen influence as recorded in the Review and Herald over the decades. These leading men, the principal writers within Adventism, testify in the church records that they squarely rejected the Trinity as an apostate creed:

• James White
• Joseph Bates
• J. H. Waggoner
• John Loughborough
• J. N. Andrews
• Uriah Smith
• A.T. Jones
• E.J. Waggoner
• R. F. Cottrell
..more recently..
• J.S. Washburn
• Charles S. Longacre

Not once did EGW reprove or rebuke them for standing true to the faith. She endorsed these men, their writings and beliefs, though some later fell away.

Her words are clear. She declared the first fifty years to be doctrinally pure:

"Upon this foundation we have been building for the past fifty years." 2SM 207 (1904)

"The truth that has stood firm against the attacks of the enemy for more than half a century must still be the confidence and comfort of God's people" 9T 70

But she wrote that a change would soon come:

"Our religion would be changed. The fundamental principles that have sustained the work for the past fifty years would be accounted as error. A new organization would be established. Books of a new order would be written." 1SM 204 (1904)

She foresaw the apostasy and the return to Roman.

She was a Protestant and straightly rebuked error as with Dr. Kellogg. She never taught the Trinity, nor ever rebuked the men for speaking against it.

She settled no matter in favour of the Trinity as you suggest. She could not be bought & sold.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: gordonb1] #107208
01/06/09 06:05 PM
01/06/09 06:05 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
I'm I understanding what is mentioned above that EGW and the pioneers didn't believe in the Trinity? That means, their's no Holy Spirit and only the Father and the Son?

Blessings
Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: Elle] #107217
01/06/09 07:37 PM
01/06/09 07:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
There's confusion on this point, Elle. When we use the word "Trinity" we mean the same thing as "the Godhead." However, the Trinity is actually a Catholic doctrine which does mean the same thing we have in mind. I'll mention just one example of a difference in thinking. In the Trinity doctrine, Jesus Christ is continuously begotten, meaning that from all eternity, and continuing as we speak, Jesus Christ is being begotten of the Father. I'll guess I'll mention two. The Trinity doctrine goes on to say that these two, the Father and Son, continuously produce the Holy Spirit. So it's not the idea that we have that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three separate individuals.

When I say "we," I mean you and I, as I'm assuming you probably think about this similarly to me.

There's some confusion as to what the Trinity doctrine actually is, but I'm quite confident that everyone on this forum, if they understood what it was, would agree that the Trinity doctrine is false.

Ellen White never used the word "Trinity." It's not just that "Godhead" is more subtle, but the thought being conveyed if very much different than what the Catholic Trinity doctrine encompasses.

Where we, on this forum, would have disagreements are regarding questions like the following:

a.When was Jesus Christ begotten?
b.What does it mean to say that Jesus Christ was begotten?
c.Is Jesus Christ playing a role?
d.Was there a time when Jesus Christ did not exist?
e.Is the Holy Spirit a separate self-aware individual?

I think these questions are probably all clear except for c. What I mean by c. is, is it possible that the Father could have come as the representative of the Godhead, and the Son stayed in heaven and played the role that the Father is playing now? (i.e., the members of the Godhead decided amongst themselves who should be the representative, and it was decided Christ would do this. But they could have designated things differently, so that the Son could have played the role of the Father, and so forth).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: Tom] #107244
01/07/09 02:56 AM
01/07/09 02:56 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
hmmmmm. how interesting. so no one "tested the spirits"? no one went and checked to see if that were true or not?

im mostly in agreement with you, tom. im not getting into the "begotten" thing, tho.

hey guys, if you could take your trinity debate elsewhere, por please....this topic is to find out if in fact ellen whites writings were altered, edited, etc. smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: teresaq] #107249
01/07/09 06:13 AM
01/07/09 06:13 AM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Teresa - Can't say I've verified that particular example of "He" for "it" regarding the Holy Spirit, but it's a common alteration. Having seen several of this type I can atttest to changes of He, Him for "it".

Since you're keen on "testing the spirits", did you check the examples furnished yesterday - Deletion of four pages from the later Great Controversy and addition of a new first chapter to Steps to Christ?

Many alterations were made to lend her writing a Trinity slant, so the issue will crop up if you dig for changes. Have you done any checking?

If someone rips pages out of a book, you'll know it without a missing page count.

Penknife was the word used by Jeremiah. It was liberally employed after the Evangelicals (Donald Barnhouse and Walter Martin) confabbed with the GC officials in the 1950s. Conform or be labelled a cult. So the books were changed. Read the tragic account in 'With Cloak & Dagger" by H.H. Meyer. (Hartland Publications) Equally sad was the expulsion of loyal whistleblower M.L. Andreasen for warning the people in his 'Letters to the Churches' (Teach Services).

If your mind is already made up, there's little point in asking for evidence. Revelation of SOP changes is not an attack on the prophet but instead reveals her true enemies.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: gordonb1] #107255
01/07/09 06:52 AM
01/07/09 06:52 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: gordonb1
Teresa - Can't say I've verified that particular example of "He" for "it" regarding the Holy Spirit, but it's a common alteration. Having seen several of this type I can atttest to changes of He, Him for "it".

the original charges from smyrna:
Quote:

this is from my ellen white cd.
Quote:
The Spirit is freely given us of God if we will appreciate and accept it. And what is it?--the representative of Jesus Christ. It is to be our constant helper. It is through the Spirit that Christ fulfills the promise, "I will never leave thee nor forsake thee." "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life" (John 6:47). (The bell is sounding for morning worship. I must stop here.)--Letter 38, 1896, pp. 1-4. (To S. N. Haskell, May 30, 1896.)

please show me the alleged change.

this is from the egw estate search site.
Quote:
The Spirit is freely given us of God if we will appreciate and accept it. And what is it?--the representative of Jesus Christ. It is to be our constant helper. It is through the Spirit that Christ fulfills the promise, "I will never leave thee nor forsake thee." "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life" (John 6:47). (The bell is sounding for morning worship. I must stop here.)--Letter 38, 1896, pp. 1-4. (To S. N. Haskell, May 30, 1896.) White Estate Washington, D. C. May 21, 1981 {11MR 35.3}

again, please show me the alleged change.

i did it with each charge.

Quote:
If your mind is already made up, there's little point in asking for evidence.

thats funny!! you are not looking like a credible person between statements like that and finding out that the smyrna book is not quite truthful.

but dont let me stop you. keep attacking those who who choose to verify the charges. come the second coming it will all be over.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: teresaq] #107256
01/07/09 07:37 AM
01/07/09 07:37 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I'm mostly in agreement with you, Tom. I'm not getting into the "begotten" thing, tho.

There's a question as to when Christ was begotten. Some thing this is referring to Christ's incarnation, some to His resurrection, some to when He proceeded from God, and there may be some other possibilities.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: teresaq] #107258
01/07/09 09:08 AM
01/07/09 09:08 AM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Hi Teresa,

I don't mind if I don't look credible. Perhaps I'm not. (It's a question for all of us). I didn't check the link nor did I make claims for Smyrna. As mentioned, it's not my studied aim to catalog changes. I've seen enough in my own reading of EGW. Sorry if you feel attacked because your view is challenged. You seem bright and persistent enough not to take everything at face value, and in truth it appeared you possessed a healthy Protestant streak. The organization is not infallible.

Are you asking me to point out a change claimed by a Smyrna book you've found? I can't defend Smyrna. But you're quite right for this one example you've just posted, I see no change.

This I could also suggest. Smyrna may have the printed (paper) book {11MR 35.3} which is referenced for the quotation, and the change may be found there, in the hard copy. Or Smyrna could be wrong. I don't write for them, but I think they're available for contact or inquiry.

I've seen many changes, so I know they exist. This may not be one of them.

Did you check the missing 4 pages from the GC? Or inquire about Steps to Christ? Or compare the 1884 vs. 1911 GC version of the French Revolution?

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: gordonb1] #107262
01/07/09 03:01 PM
01/07/09 03:01 PM
Rick H  Offline

3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Ellen White had assistants to prepare the books that kept her materials, notes, sermons, etc.. and she herself did a lot of editing as she saw what she had written before did not fully express the idea or belief as most good editors do. This was a normal process which was done with all her writings especially when they went to be republished, some try to put a sinister spin on it but it was nothing but a normal work of any writer, to do the review of the work and editing and she looked at every final proof..

Here is from the White estate...

...Did any of the literary assistants alter the thoughts or make additions as the writings passed through their hands? This question is answered clearly by the written statements of several of Mrs. White's helpers:

"None of Mother's workers are authorized to add to the manuscripts by introducing thoughts of their own."--W. C. White to G. A. Irwin, May 7, 1900.

"From my own knowledge of the work, as well as from the statements of Sister White herself, I have the strongest possible ground for disbelieving that such a thing [the adding of thoughts by the copyist] was done."--Marian Davis to G. A. Irwin, April 23, 1900.

"In all good conscience I can testify that never was I presumptuous enough to venture to add any ideas of my own or to do other than follow with most scrupulous care the thoughts of the author."--D. E. Robinson, 1933, White Estate Document File 107g.

Mrs. White wrote voluminously on many topics. To supplement what was written specifically for a definite book, the literary assistant gathered other related gems of thought from her writings--books, published articles, manuscripts, letters, and discourses. Working together, Mrs. White and her assistants planned the outline of the books and prepared the matter chapter by chapter. In its final form, the manuscripts were read and given approval by Mrs. White herself and then sent to the printer....

Someone may interject here: “But the translators changed only errors of grammar and construction. They did not add new thoughts or make sweeping changes.” That is correct. Neither did Mrs. White's literary assistants. What evidence is presented to support the charge that “the manager of one of their largest publishing houses … did not suppose that Mrs. White ever prepared a whole chapter for one of her popular subscription books. They were all the work of others”? The answer is, No evidence at all. Obviously there were changes of words in revising grammar and of phrases in smoothing literary construction. But that was true of the translators' work on the Revelation.

We have found repeatedly that the critic's charges have been proved groundless....

We freely admit that her grammar and literary constructions, at times, were not perfect, and that literary assistants did, by making certain grammatical corrections, improve the clarity and give a certain polish to the writing. But that is something fundamentally different from what is being charged. And what proof can we present that the charge is false? Strictly speaking, we ought not to be required to defend Mrs. White against a charge which is based on hearsay and gossip and supposition, and the indirect testimony of an unnamed manager speaking to an unnamed individual.

But so great is the power of hearsay, so fatal a fascination has gossip and supposition for many minds, that a critic always has

[473]

a heavy advantage. He needs only to start a rumor in circulation, to tell a plausible story with a certain intonation of the voice, in order to play havoc with a reputation. Against the unsupported charge that Mrs. White was so hopelessly unlettered and ignorant that any quality or worth in her writings was edited in by assistants, some very specific evidence may be presented...

.....Her assistants were called upon, not to do creative, original work on her manuscripts, not to change the thought or intent, but simply to correct possible errors of grammar, to improve sentence structure, and the like, which, for lack of a better word, is sometimes described as polishing a manuscript. It would have been a

[486]

very unprofitable use of Mrs. White's time if she had done this painstaking, detail work.

All the polishing in the world will not make a pebble into a precious stone. Nor does polishing change in any way the intrinsic quality of a diamond. The polishing only makes the quality more evident. Even so with Mrs. White's writings and the so-called polishing done by literary assistants.*.....

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: Rick H] #107264
01/07/09 06:20 PM
01/07/09 06:20 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Richard,

Was it just, to persecute a lifelong servant of the Church, fire and strip him of his pension, because he blew the trumpet on the Evangelical meetings? M.L. Andreasen was standing up against error, infiltration and apostasy. At his advanced age I believe it broke him. It's a very sad story and shows the spellbinding influence of groupthink. How many shunned him because they were "just following orders" ?

As the saying goes, a society (or organization) is only as good as its treatment of weak & elderly members.

On the other hand, Donald Barnhouse (Eternity Magazine) and Walter Martin (Kingdom of the Cults, etc.) had the ear of the GC leadership and were welcome guests.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: gordonb1] #107266
01/07/09 08:47 PM
01/07/09 08:47 PM
Rick H  Offline

3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Richard,

Was it just, to persecute a lifelong servant of the Church, fire and strip him of his pension, because he blew the trumpet on the Evangelical meetings? M.L. Andreasen was standing up against error, infiltration and apostasy. At his advanced age I believe it broke him. It's a very sad story and shows the spellbinding influence of groupthink. How many shunned him because they were "just following orders" ?

As the saying goes, a society (or organization) is only as good as its treatment of weak & elderly members.

On the other hand, Donald Barnhouse (Eternity Magazine) and Walter Martin (Kingdom of the Cults, etc.) had the ear of the GC leadership and were welcome guests.

I know the heartache as I have someone close to me who suffered the same fate for standing his ground on the unethical and potentially dishonourable behaviour by some leaders, and it was devastating for him. But he did the right thing and I feel God vindicated him as the leaders were voted out the next session.

M.L. Andreasen was a good man and wonderful Christian, church leaders are not perfect and they have made many mistakes even against Ellen White, Jones' and Waggoner's with the 1888 message. We as members must be careful to put God fearing men who set aside self to do what God sets forth, it is the members who must be the guardians of the leaders they put in and if necessary take them out when they forget their duty.

Last edited by Richard; 01/07/09 08:54 PM.
Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: Rick H] #107267
01/07/09 09:28 PM
01/07/09 09:28 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes, unfortunately, even our church leaders are not perfect from the local church level right up to the GC level and all points in between.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: Rick H] #107290
01/08/09 05:32 AM
01/08/09 05:32 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Richard
Ellen White had assistants to prepare the books that kept her materials, notes, sermons, etc.. and she herself did a lot of editing as she saw what she had written before did not fully express the idea or belief as most good editors do. This was a normal process which was done with all her writings especially when they went to be republished, some try to put a sinister spin on it but it was nothing but a normal work of any writer, to do the review of the work and editing and she looked at every final proof..

Here is from the White estate...

...Did any of the literary assistants alter the thoughts or make additions as the writings passed through their hands? This question is answered clearly by the written statements of several of Mrs. White's helpers:

"None of Mother's workers are authorized to add to the manuscripts by introducing thoughts of their own."--W. C. White to G. A. Irwin, May 7, 1900.

"From my own knowledge of the work, as well as from the statements of Sister White herself, I have the strongest possible ground for disbelieving that such a thing [the adding of thoughts by the copyist] was done."--Marian Davis to G. A. Irwin, April 23, 1900.

"In all good conscience I can testify that never was I presumptuous enough to venture to add any ideas of my own or to do other than follow with most scrupulous care the thoughts of the author."--D. E. Robinson, 1933, White Estate Document File 107g.

Mrs. White wrote voluminously on many topics. To supplement what was written specifically for a definite book, the literary assistant gathered other related gems of thought from her writings--books, published articles, manuscripts, letters, and discourses. Working together, Mrs. White and her assistants planned the outline of the books and prepared the matter chapter by chapter. In its final form, the manuscripts were read and given approval by Mrs. White herself and then sent to the printer....

Someone may interject here: “But the translators changed only errors of grammar and construction. They did not add new thoughts or make sweeping changes.” That is correct. Neither did Mrs. White's literary assistants. What evidence is presented to support the charge that “the manager of one of their largest publishing houses … did not suppose that Mrs. White ever prepared a whole chapter for one of her popular subscription books. They were all the work of others”? The answer is, No evidence at all. Obviously there were changes of words in revising grammar and of phrases in smoothing literary construction. But that was true of the translators' work on the Revelation.

We have found repeatedly that the critic's charges have been proved groundless....

We freely admit that her grammar and literary constructions, at times, were not perfect, and that literary assistants did, by making certain grammatical corrections, improve the clarity and give a certain polish to the writing. But that is something fundamentally different from what is being charged. And what proof can we present that the charge is false? Strictly speaking, we ought not to be required to defend Mrs. White against a charge which is based on hearsay and gossip and supposition, and the indirect testimony of an unnamed manager speaking to an unnamed individual.

But so great is the power of hearsay, so fatal a fascination has gossip and supposition for many minds, that a critic always has

[473]

a heavy advantage. He needs only to start a rumor in circulation, to tell a plausible story with a certain intonation of the voice, in order to play havoc with a reputation. Against the unsupported charge that Mrs. White was so hopelessly unlettered and ignorant that any quality or worth in her writings was edited in by assistants, some very specific evidence may be presented...

.....Her assistants were called upon, not to do creative, original work on her manuscripts, not to change the thought or intent, but simply to correct possible errors of grammar, to improve sentence structure, and the like, which, for lack of a better word, is sometimes described as polishing a manuscript. It would have been a

[486]

very unprofitable use of Mrs. White's time if she had done this painstaking, detail work.

All the polishing in the world will not make a pebble into a precious stone. Nor does polishing change in any way the intrinsic quality of a diamond. The polishing only makes the quality more evident. Even so with Mrs. White's writings and the so-called polishing done by literary assistants.*.....

i have come to the conclusion that in spite of all of ellen whites diarys, and statements as to who, what, why her writings were edited by herself, that will not be believed.

it becomes either, i choose to believe they were changed by others,

or

i choose to believe ellen white and God was in absolute control.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: gordonb1] #107291
01/08/09 05:35 AM
01/08/09 05:35 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Teresa -
If your mind is already made up, there's little point in asking for evidence.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: teresaq] #107298
01/08/09 08:04 AM
01/08/09 08:04 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Perhaps the following statements are relevant to this discussion. They are of such a nature that I am tempted to say "there are two sides to every argument, and I have presented them both!"

Originally Posted By: The Publishing Ministry
Language Simplified by Helpers.--The articles that were simplified [by Fannie Bolton] on the childhood of Jesus were not satisfactory to me. The matter was diluted altogether too much, and the life and spirit did not appear.--Lt 84, 1895. {PM 209.1}
Edson, you are at liberty to select from my writings the matter that is needed for the proposed simple tracts and booklets for the Southern field. We send you some articles on the child life of Jesus [A SERIES OF FIVE ELLEN G. WHITE ARTICLES UNDER THE TITLE OF "CHILD LIFE OF JESUS," WHICH APPEARED IN THE YOUTH'S INSTRUCTOR, NOVEMBER 21, 1895, TO JANUARY 2, 1896.
EDSON ADAPTED MATERIAL ON THE LIFE OF CHRIST RECEIVED FROM HIS MOTHER, ELLEN WHITE, AND PREPARED THE WELL-KNOWN BOOK CHRIST OUR SAVIOUR (THE STORY OF JESUS), WHICH FIRST APPEARED IN 1896, AND IS STILL AVAILABLE IN ENGLISH AND A FEW NON-ENGLISH LANGUAGES.
THE STATEMENTS QUOTED ABOVE SHOULD NOT BE UNDERSTOOD TO BE AUTHORIZATION BY ELLEN WHITE TO SIMPLIFY ALL OF HER WRITINGS.] that may be a help to you. As you will see, they are in two styles. Sister Bolton, my copyist, has had little time for the preparation of the simple form, and you may be able, yourself, to simplify in a way that will suit you better. You are the one who can best prepare the matter you need, for you are acquainted with the Southern field. You will know how simple to make the truth so as to be understood, and what portions to select.... {PM 209.2}

Originally Posted By: Manuscript Releases
If you had the task given you of handling Old and New Testament writings, you would see large improvements to be made, great additions and subtractions and changes of expressions; you would put in words and ideas to suit your standard of how it should appear. We should then have Fannie Bolton's life and expressions, which would be considered by you a wonderful improvement; but disapproved of God. Letter 7, 1894, p. 1. (To Fannie Bolton, February 6, 1894.) {1MR 34.1}

You and he have evidenced your opinion of your own judgment--that it was more reliable than Sister White's. Did you consider that Sister White has been dealing with just such cases during her life of service for the Master, that cases similar to your own, and many varieties of cases, have passed before her that should make her know what is right and what is wrong in these things? Is a judgment that has been under the training of God for more than fifty years of no preference to those who have not had this discipline and education? Please consider these things.--Letter 115, 1895, p. 4. (To Fannie Bolton, Nov. 26, 1895; 3SM p. 60.) {2MR 87.4}

I tell you that there is not a semblance of truth in her [FANNY BOLTON, ONE OF ELLEN WHITE'S LITERARY ASSISTANTS FOR A SHORT PERIOD IN AMERICA AND A FEW YEARS IN AUSTRALIA, WAS AT TIMES TEMPTED TO MAKE RIDICULOUS AND UNSUSTAINED CLAIMS FOR HER CONTRIBUTIONS IN THE COPYING AND EDITING OF E. G. WHITE MATERIALS. HER CLAIM TO BE SOMEWHAT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONTENT OF STEPS TO CHRIST IS WITHOUT FOUNDATION. A CONFESSION ON HER PART IN 1901 SETS THE RECORD STRAIGHT.] statements. My copyists you have seen. They do not change my language. It stands as I write it. . . . {9MR 23.1}
My work has been in the field since 1845. Ever since then I have labored with pen and voice. Increased light has come to me as I have imparted the light given me. I have very much more light on the Old and New Testament Scriptures, which I shall present to our people if my way is not blocked by such influences as the influence exerted by Fannie Bolton. Such a work as hers calls for my pen and voice to contradict her statements, in order to save poor souls from being entirely swamped by her assertion that she has received the Holy Ghost. This is another phase of her desire to exalt herself as ordained by the Lord to bear a message to His people. The Lord did not send her, yet she ran. She will not honor the cause of God, but will mislead others. {9MR 23.2}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: teresaq] #107320
01/08/09 11:32 PM
01/08/09 11:32 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
from the same book at the smyrna site. (the foundation of our faith)

from smyrna, again, p 213.
Quote:

Another example of the changing of pronouns can be found in comparing the following statement first published in The Signs of the Times, September 27, 1899, and then republished in Ye Shall Receive Power in 1995:

Signs of the Times, September 27, 1899
“The Lord would have every one of His children rich in faith, and this faith is the fruit of the working of the Holy Spirit upon the mind. It dwells with each soul who will receive it, speaking to the impenitent in words of
warning, and pointing them to Jesus, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world. It causes light to shine into the minds of those who are seeking to co-operate with God, giving them efficiency and wisdom to do His work.”

Ye Shall Receive Power, page 59
“The Lord would have every one of His children rich in faith, and this faith is the fruit of the working of the Holy Spirit upon the mind. He dwells with each soul who will receive Him, speaking to the impenitent in
words of warning, and pointing them to Jesus, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world. He causes light to shine into the minds of those who are seeking to cooperate with God, giving them efficiency and wisdom to do His work.”

ellen white search site:
Quote:

The Lord would have every one of His children rich in faith, and this faith is the fruit of the working of the Holy Spirit upon the mind. It dwells with each soul who will receive it, speaking to the impenitent in words of warning, and pointing them to Jesus, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world. It causes light to shine into the minds of those who are seeking to cooperate with God, giving them efficiency and wisdom to do His work. {YRP 59.2}

my cd:
Quote:

The Lord would have every one of His children rich in faith, and this faith is the fruit of the working of the Holy Spirit upon the mind. It dwells with each soul who will receive it, speaking to the impenitent in words of warning, and pointing them to Jesus, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world. It causes light to shine into the minds of those who are seeking to cooperate with God, giving them efficiency and wisdom to do His work. {YRP 59.2}

that is the second false claim regarding the same subject in the same chapter.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: teresaq] #107321
01/08/09 11:37 PM
01/08/09 11:37 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
from the smyrna book p. 214.
Quote:
We need to realize that the Holy Spirit, who is as much a person as God is a person, is walking through these grounds (Manuscript 66, 1899; Evangelism,p. 616).

This statement is from a talk given at the Avondale School on April 15, 1899. This talk was never published during Ellen White’s lifetime. Part of it was first released in 1946 with the publication of Evangelism.Afurther part of it was published in 1990 in Manuscript Releases, vol. 7, p. 299, and then in 1994 more of it was released in Sermons and Talks, vol. 2, pp. 136-139.

The entire talk has not yet been published, but from Sermons and Talks we know that the above quotation is not the full sentence. The point that Sister White was making is seen in the context of the whole statement:

We have been brought together as a school, and we need to realize that the Holy Spirit, who is as much a person as God is a person, is walking through these grounds, unseen by human eyes; that the Lord God is our Keeper and Helper. He hears every word we utter and knows every thought of the mind (Sermon and Talks, vol. 2, pp. 136, 137).

this "point" is a matter of interpretation or how one chooses to read it.

i had a choice of reading the whole book and checking each statement made or deciding on the basis of the false assertions so far to conclude the source not reliable. i chose the second.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: teresaq] #107325
01/09/09 02:18 AM
01/09/09 02:18 AM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
i have come to the conclusion that in spite of all of ellen whites diarys, and statements as to who, what, why her writings were edited by herself, that will not be believed.

or

Hi Teresa,

Yes of course God is in control. But He still permits chaos on the earth, even book changes. But Ellen White was never 'in control' of church matters. She was not a church leader or director. She was a prophet and a messenger. She consented when the GC shunted her off to Europe for two years, then Australia for nine. It was impossible for her to oversee the printing of her books from across America or from another continent.

From her many letters, and the Testimonies For the Church, we see a constant disobedience of her counsel. Very few obeyed the light which came from the prophet. It is no better today, when this light is only meant to help us. But many feel unfairly chastised and rebel against it.

Many believe that EGW was involved in church administration, but not so. She counseled, corrected and rebuked error, but she never ran the show.

She had harsher words for Fannie Bolton than Green Cochoa has just furnished. And still stronger for others who were in the printing work.

"I know that Elder [Uriah] Smith and Elder [G.I.] Butler and [J.H.] Morrison and [L.] Nicola have been doing a work in their blindness that they will not wish to meet in the judgment..." Letter 109, December 6, 1890.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: gordonb1] #107329
01/09/09 05:25 AM
01/09/09 05:25 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA

or

Hi Teresa,

Yes of course God is in control. But He still permits chaos on the earth, even book changes. But Ellen White was never 'in control' of church matters. She was not a church leader or director. She was a prophet and a messenger. She consented when the GC shunted her off to Europe for two years, then Australia for nine. It was impossible for her to oversee the printing of her books from across America or from another continent.

From her many letters, and the Testimonies For the Church, we see a constant disobedience of her counsel. Very few obeyed the light which came from the prophet. It is no better today, when this light is only meant to help us. But many feel unfairly chastised and rebel against it.

Many believe that EGW was involved in church administration, but not so. She counseled, corrected and rebuked error, but she never ran the show.

She had harsher words for Fannie Bolton than Green Cochoa has just furnished. And still stronger for others who were in the printing work.

"I know that Elder [Uriah] Smith and Elder [G.I.] Butler and [J.H.] Morrison and [L.] Nicola have been doing a work in their blindness that they will not wish to meet in the judgment..." Letter 109, December 6, 1890.

but brother, none of that proves that her writings were altered. disregarded, yes. altered, no.

do you realize that the only ones who claim her writings were altered are the ones who ultimately say we shouldnt rely on them?

you may not know this but i am not a trinitarian. im not the typical anti-trinitarian, either. but just so you know i am just as much against the trinity as the next person. but i would prefer to make sure that i am speaking the absolute truth.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: teresaq] #107348
01/09/09 06:13 PM
01/09/09 06:13 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Yes Teresa, you are correct to make the clear distinction between alteration of her works, and disobedience and disregard for them.

Though I've not furnished much proof beyond two significant examples, I have come across it sufficiently often to see a real problem. Perhaps I should retrace & collect some examples, though it may not convince many until their own study shows it up.

In my proferred example of the four missing pages from the 1911 GC, I believe this to be a (most) glaring deletion.

Though I claim the writings have been altered, I do not disparage the prophet God sent, nor dismiss her words as do many. These words came from the Throne and her temperate, self-denying consistency proved that she had a connection with Heaven. Her purpose was to lead others to exalt and study the Word. In the strictest sense, her writings should not be relied upon until we can establish the same truths from the Bible. This was her own advice to us.

Of course I feel her words have been cheapened and misrepresented by misapplication over the decades. This can be in her reprinted books, compilations, church magazines or the Sabbath School quarterly.

If you've explored the Trinity issue, you must know there is misrepresentation. And yes, speaking the absolute truth is most preferable (In love). Here is an example of fraud found in the 2006 quarterly:

"As Christians we admit there are three Persons in the Godhead, but "they are one in purpose, in mind, in character, but not in person." --Ellen G. White, The Ministry of Healing, p. 422" [Quarterly for Wednesday, March 29, 2006]

In the above example an Ellen White statement has been spliced into a sentence to change her express meaning. Here is the original:

"The unity that exists between Christ and His disciples does not destroy the personality of either. They are one in purpose, in mind, in character, but not in person. It is thus that God and Christ are one." Ministry of Healing 422. (Also found in 8 Testimonies 269)

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: gordonb1] #107349
01/09/09 06:17 PM
01/09/09 06:17 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
P.S. Teresa,

This example came from a hard copy of the quarterly. I'm not sure what the online version will show.

Gordon

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: gordonb1] #107362
01/09/09 10:20 PM
01/09/09 10:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I cannot imagine anyone reading the SOP books received with the stamp of approval from the White Estates and concluding anything contrary to the 28 fundamental beliefs.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: Mountain Man] #107365
01/09/09 10:57 PM
01/09/09 10:57 PM
Rick H  Offline

3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
I cannot imagine anyone reading the SOP books received with the stamp of approval from the White Estates and concluding anything contrary to the 28 fundamental beliefs.

I think any device which results in tearing down and destroying the message that Ellen White brings is being used, and this is just another one of them...

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: Rick H] #107372
01/10/09 12:06 AM
01/10/09 12:06 AM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Mike, let your imagination stretch beyond the 27 or 28. Beyond the Imprimatur of the White Estate. Why do you consider them to be infallible?

Have you read the Story of Redemption? Admittedly a compilation of earlier works but a goldmine of truth. Try the first few chapters. Wouldn't pass muster at Andrews, but the words are inspired, much from vision.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: gordonb1] #107384
01/10/09 03:04 AM
01/10/09 03:04 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
please!! this is:"ellen whites writings altered"

not about the trinity, faults of the church, etc.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: gordonb1] #107387
01/10/09 03:52 AM
01/10/09 03:52 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Teresa, it may well be that the latest publications of those articles cited by Smyrna's book have restored the original reading - there does appear to be one edition which changed it.

On the trinity or not the trinity...it's always been the "Godhead" for the three heavenly powers - trinity thinking doesn't allow for separate personalities, just "centres of consciousness" without form or divine body parts within a single, mystical substance of unknown but indivisible form...basically a mess I don't wish to get my head round!!...SDA trinity thinking is closer to what we ourselves used to believe, but rejects Jesus' divine literal Sonship before creation began, in "the days of eternity" (Micah 5:2), as well as the Spirit not proceeding from the Godhead of Father and Son, but existing alongside them as they each have, too, from all eternity all together.: this doesn't sound right, either but is more palatable than Nicea's nonsense - nonsense that led at the time to persecution of detractors and warfare against the rest: enforced just like Sunday observance, in the name of the newly assertive, united & official "Catholic faith"...

Do you recall www.theprophetstillspeaks.co.uk? It's got a look at the whole history - Nicea and ours, plus a good section affirming "only begotten" is an accurate translation, using Strong's Concordance.

Maki EGW look and sound trinitarian is the only real 'change' sought during her life by some who later supported that doctrine (Prescott, Daniels, FM Wilcox (the Review); not MC Wilcox of the Signs), let alone after her death, and to this day. Not sure how much the Seminary actually spects her writings or her authority, these days...

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: Colin] #107397
01/10/09 07:13 AM
01/10/09 07:13 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
Teresa, it may well be that the latest publications of those articles cited by Smyrna's book have restored the original reading - there does appear to be one edition which changed it.

well, put it up and lets check it out. you do understand i cant go on anyones say-so without seeing it for myself.

Quote:
Maki EGW look and sound trinitarian is the only real 'change' sought during her life by some who later supported that doctrine (Prescott, Daniels, FM Wilcox (the Review); not MC Wilcox of the Signs), let alone after her death, and to this day. Not sure how much the Seminary actually spects her writings or her authority, these days...

no. those who want to disregard her writings claim they were altered, even forged. i know a person who wants to believe that kelloggs "the living temple" is not the pantheistic book ellen white claimed it to be.

guess how he does that? smile

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: teresaq] #107409
01/10/09 05:16 PM
01/10/09 05:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
please!! this is:"ellen whites writings altered"

not about the trinity, faults of the church, etc.

I have never read anything from the White Estate that made me doubt the authenticity of the SOP. Everything I have read confirms the truth as it is in Jesus. Any altering that may have happened to the SOP has not in the least steared me away from the truths we (SDAs) hold near and dear.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: teresaq] #107440
01/11/09 05:24 AM
01/11/09 05:24 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Colin

no. those who want to disregard her writings claim they were altered, even forged. i know a person who wants to believe that kelloggs "the living temple" is not the pantheistic book ellen white claimed it to be.

guess how he does that?

Openly disparaging her writings is what her critics do, yes...

That the church today bases its trinitarian stance on her writings over a certain period of time, since 1890-98 onwards (of course), before which the church wasn't trinitarian, leaves the question of whether she was trinitarian, which we, you and I (at least, here), agree she wasn't. Editing her writings to the extent of changing their meaning would be an inside job done very quietly, and would also be disloyalty to the Testimony of Jesus.

I hope no-one inside the church has done that with the light we are blessed with on present truth, but, there is this rumour of damaging change. Getting online copies of evidence may well be difficult, but even that smyrna ministries site can email copies of their evidence, I'm sure.

An example of change to general church literature, affecting salvation teaching, is the 1949 edition of Bible Readings for the Home Circle, since which edition that book has omitted the words "sinful nature" from a section mentioning how God's Son became a man, and those words were there in earlier editions.

This is definitely not a trinity thread, but the suggestion is that the rumoured alterations to the SOP directly impact on the nature of the Godhed and how that nature impacts on salvation, so doctrines are brought into focus as one investigates what evidence one can get hold of. Should that evidence be an old hard copy, and the current online copy is not showing that change, doesn't mean that change wasn't once effected; just means someone wised up that everyone knew a change had been made, so reversed the action.

That change from "it" to "he" you reckon isn't in the online copy you looked at earlier: let's get the hard copy 'in' to have a look at!...I'll try to help in that.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: Colin] #107448
01/11/09 03:15 PM
01/11/09 03:15 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
For those who are so inclined, here is a full write-up on the issue of Mrs. White's stance on the Trinity / Godhead, and put out by the White Estate.

http://www.whiteestate.org/issues/The-Trinity.pdf

Lest you think this article will present only the White Estate's perspective, be aware that the PDF file includes dozens of scans of the original printed materials, many dating before 1900, and some of the scans are of the original autographs, in Mrs. White's own handwriting. I only wish they were scanned at a higher resolution, but there is sufficient clarity, in most cases, to see how she used the words.

I would be comfortable in saying this article should be the definitive answer to any question regarding Mrs. White's stance on the Trinity / Godhead issue, and will likely lay to rest any questions regarding the White Estate's role in editing her manuscripts on this issue as well.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: Green Cochoa] #107449
01/11/09 03:56 PM
01/11/09 03:56 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Green Cochoa,

If Ellen White had ever accepted the Trinity, she would have called all the Church to repent of their previous 50 year anti-Trinitarian record. But never a word on this. Not a peep. On the contrary she affirmed that the "truth..has stood firm...for more than half a century" 9T 70.

She came from Methodism (Trinitarian) and rejected it like all early SDA pioneers, to embrace the sanctuary message. She did not flip back to her Methodist roots. Prophets don't flip-flop. She left darkness and did not return.

Here's the striking difference between truth & error:

“The mystery of the trinity is the central doctrine of the Catholic faith. Upon it are based all the other teachings of the Church.” Handbook for Today’s Catholic, p.16

"The sanctuary in heaven is the very center of Christ’s work in behalf of men. It concerns every living soul upon the earth" -Great Controversy 488

The White Estate article defines their own bias, nothing more.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: gordonb1] #107466
01/12/09 03:24 AM
01/12/09 03:24 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
GC, somehow we cannot get away from this topic, in this thread which has to do with literary stewardship....

A quick word: Tim Poirier isn't biased, Gordon; he is misinformed and misleading about the issue altogether!

This excerpt - which is in context! - shows his and the church's misconception of the 'quarrel'
Quote:
the church's belief in three distinct, co-eternal, equally divine persons of the Godhead - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit

That there are three persons is not the issue, let alone ascribing deity to each. With a good knowledge of Sister White's statements on the Son of God's begotten Sonship, and the Holy Spirit's "different" personality to Father and Son, as their omnipresence and their infinite Spirit of the Godhead, which each of them personally possesses - though the Spirit is not independent of Father and Son, I may rebuke the White Estate: they are intellectually dishonest, as is the GC BRI, for presenting that anti-trinitarians don't consider the Holy Spirit to be a divine personality and person of the Godhead or Jesus the co-eternal Son of God.

It's shocking how little of their identities, the Son's and the Spirit's, we actually have read up on in SOP, but - given the misinformation published for us, we are, I believe, with excuse! There is wide spread confusion in the ranks about God's nature...and what we should do with the trinity teaching we espouse as a church, and why anyone actually complains about it, at all...!

The Son of God is not co-existent with the Father, but he is co-eternal, since he begotten of God, and the literal, physical Son (as seen in vision and revealed in the Bible to start with): this is ignored almost totally by the church, today, as a point of difference - they too busy accusing us of being heathen, which is terribly sad, and may be a dereliction of duty to defend the Adventist faith.

The Holy Spirit is altogether mystery, but is revealed in the Bible and spoken of by all our pioneers as fully divine, as much a person as God and Christ but not the same sort of person as them, and proceeding from them as the divine Spirit of their deity; thus, not personally independent of them, as they personally are of each other, and so on and so forth...

The rejection of the trinity doctrine in our midst doesn't reject 3 persons, but the orthodox and SDA trinity definition and thinking about how they are 3, and thus who they to each other.

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: Colin] #107472
01/12/09 04:27 AM
01/12/09 04:27 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
and here we go again!!! smile

i wonder how many are going to be arguing trinity-antitrinity and the several other dabates in the church clear up to the second coming when theyll look up and go, uh-oh!

Re: ellen whites writings altered [Re: teresaq] #107480
01/12/09 10:50 AM
01/12/09 10:50 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Distracting from letting Christ relate to us? Can do...I'm personally only after what and who he is to me, and that includes the testimony of Jesus... smile

I'm just slightly surprised this topic hasn't been made a private forum thread, but that's alright - as it is pertinent to the remnant faith. cool

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!