HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 100 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #107096
01/04/09 07:59 PM
01/04/09 07:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, thank you for the partial answer to my questions, however, in overlooking the rest of them you failed to address the aspects most important to me. Had you addressed all of my questions you would have avoided this problem.

This doesn't seem like much of a problem. Just point out the things you want addressed. I'm not going to re-read questions in a post I've already answered. If I missed a post, I'll address that. If I've already addressed the post, I'll address any concerns you have regarding that, which you spell out. Or if you think I didn't address some question at all, I'll address that if you repost it.

In regards to the comment you made following the questions which I said Satan was capable of doing, as I said I was sure you knew, I assume you mean this one:

Quote:
“You believe Satan caused these things to happen, that they are evidences of his power, that he designed them to make God look bad, and that anyone who believes God caused them to happen, or that it was God's will and purpose for them to happen, is deceived.”

I wouldn't want to touch this with a 10 foot pole. You took a passage that the SOP wrote and inserted "Satan" in the place of "God." I don't feel any need to go beyond inspiration, and certainly not to do something like this.

What Ellen White wrote in GC 35, 36 is clear enough for me. Quoting just a bit:

Quote:
We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest. The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan.

I believe this same principle applies to the other forces which destroy men, such as natural forces, one's enemies (whether individuals or nations) or whatever. All of these things are indirectly the result of Satan's activities, because Satan is the "author of sin, and of all of its results." (DA 471). However, not all of these things are of necessity the *direct* results of Satan's activities. Here's the DA statement:

Quote:
It is true that all suffering results from the transgression of God's law, but this truth had become perverted. Satan, the author of sin and all its results, had led men to look upon disease and death as proceeding from God,--as punishment arbitrarily inflicted on account of sin.

I believe this applies to all destructive actions, not just disease. That is, all destruction results as a result of sin. Satan leads men to look at these things as being punishment arbitrarily inflicted on account of sin, which is how I perceive you look upon many of these destructive activities. What I believe is that God does not inflict punishments because of sin, but that sin has the punishments wrapped up in itself, and that God usually shields us from these punishments, but sometimes withdraws His protection, as per GC 36.

I don't believe that sometimes destruction comes because God is inflicting punishments Himself, and sometimes because He withdraws His protections allowing the destructive power of sin to be manifest in some way, but that God never arbitrarily inflicts these punishments (where "arbitrarily" is Webster's primary definition, not "whimsical" or "capricious").

I believe that often God's actions have been misunderstood, as pointed out here:

Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control. (GC 35, 36)

I don't believe this is simply dealing with the destruction of Jerusalem, but there are many other instances where the "great deceiver" has successfully deceived. I think often you perceive God as doing the things the great deceiver has been responsible for, in part because you do not perceive this statement as representing a general principle, but as representing a specific case.

Indeed, my paradigm is much different than yours. I see God as communicating principles to us, and we are to learn these principles, which explain how we should govern our lives and how God runs the universe. You seem to have a paradigm which relies not on general principles but on studying episodes case by case, which is probably why you ask me what about this case, what about that one, what about that one, and so forth. Also this would explain why you want a list of sins which the Holy Spirit waits to reveal later (your words, not mine), or why you think that God's character is such that He would have us do things without our understanding why.

So my approach is to try to understand the general principles, and apply them to a case or two to see how they work. I have no desire to look through each and every case, nor does my paradigm require that. I see sufficient evidence upon which to base my faith, which is that:

a.God is not the destroyer, Satan is.
b.Force is not a principle of God's kingdom.
c.God does not overcome rebellion by force.
d.God was fully revealed by Jesus Christ while here in the flesh. (i.e. God is just like Jesus Christ).
e.God's wrath is manifest by His withdrawing His protections.

In the case of the quote dealing with Korah, etc., I believe God's power was manifest in that He controls nature. Nature is tremendously powerful, and it takes a being more powerful that it to control it. God uses nature to do his bidding, which at times involves His permitting its power to be manifest in destructive ways. But God would always prefer to be able to protect us. Unfortunately, sometimes this is not possible, either for reasons of the GC (such as Job), or because people have "caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them."

I see that there are two general classes of destruction in Scripture. One is where God withdraws His protection. I think these are easier to understand. Scripture often presents God as doing that which He permits.

The other class is more difficult to understand, and involves cases where God is recorded as having told someone else to destroy. Regarding this more difficult situation, I have given the hunter father analogy. You say you don't see how this applies. Ok, you don't see it. I don't see what is to be gained trying to get you to see something you don't see, especially when you don't see things which are much easier to see than this (I'm speaking from my perspective, of course; I'm not meaning to be putting you down here at all; just pointing out that there are things which I perceive which you do not perceive in the same way).

In the case of Moses and the Sabbath-breaker, I believe the hunter father analogy applies. It's not simply that the individual Jews who approached Moses were uncertain how to proceed, but there was the mindset of the whole nation to consider. God had to work with an entire nation of ignorant, backward folks (who had to be told to do things like bury their dung) who had just been slaves, so God did the best He could given the circumstances He was in.

I see your whole approach here is completely off base and fruitless. You're trying to do the very thing which I'm arguing against, which is to understand God on the basis of the OT, without having this study filtered by what Christ revealed about God while here in the flesh (btw, you come up with some nice acronymns, such as "FMA"; do you have a suggestion for how to communicate "Jesus Christ while here in the flesh" in a shorter way?).

So what I'm suggesting is if you want to understand the situation with Moses and the Sabbath-breaker, go to the life of Christ, and look for episodes which deal with similar concepts, and understand God's actions on the basis of what the study of God's character as revealed in Christ revealed.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #107111
01/05/09 01:03 AM
01/05/09 01:03 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding Jesus' revealing the principle that when God withdraws His protection, bad things happen:

1.Since we've been told that everything that man can know about God was revealed by Jesus Christ while here in the flesh, then Jesus must have revealed this principle somewhere, right? The only alternative to this would be that the principle is not true. Or Ellen White was mistaken that Christ revealed everything that man can know about God.

2.Regarding Jerusalem, Jesus said He would have gathered them up as a hen gathers its chicks. This is in the present tense that He spoke. He wasn't speaking about something He was going to do in the future. He would have protected them right then. They refused the protection, and their house was left to them desolate.

From the first point, we know there must be *some* example of this principle. If you don't like the example I've suggesting, you're free to suggest a better one.

Quote:
You wrote, “So to say that Jesus Christ revealed all that man can know about God is sufficient.” Unless, of course, you are not correctly defining the phrase “can know”.

I think everyone knows what "can know" means.

Quote:
You wrote, “Otherwise Christ's revelation would not be sufficient, and she would have been honor bound to explain that.” I find this answer interesting in light of your argument elsewhere, namely, that absence of something is not an argument for or against it. You apply this to the “God offered to pardon Lucifer” discussion.

This isn't an absence here. She made the clear statement that everything that man can know about God was revealed by Christ. This is a positive assertion, not the absence of something.

Regarding your assertion that Christ did not reveal the wrath of God, I think you're mistaken. First of all, all man can know about God was revealed by Jesus Christ. The wrath of God is certainly something that one can know about God. Regarding where Jesus Christ revealed this, above all He did so on the cross.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #107113
01/05/09 01:43 AM
01/05/09 01:43 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Hmm. I wrote a post about capital punishment, and it just disappeared. So here's a shorter version.

Quote:
You wrote, "In Jesus' time Israel was still a theocracy, and Jesus steadfastly refused any sort of violence of this sort." Not because capital punishment when administered under a theocracy is evil or violent, but because the Jewish leaders were deserving of capital punishment themselves. None of them were "without sin", therefore, not one of them was qualified to cast the first stone.

Since no one was ever without sin except Jesus, by this logic capital punishment should never happen, since Jesus elected not to do so, and He's the only one who could, by your logic.

Quote:
Of course, there was also the matter of Roman law which did not allow Jews to execute capital punishment. Jesus complied with Roman law. Not to comply would have constituted a sin and Satan would have won the GC. "Should He acquit the woman, He might be charged with despising the law of Moses. Should He declare her worthy of death, He could be accused to the Romans as one who was assuming authority that belonged only to them." {DA 460.5}

If God's law had conflicted with Roman law, Jesus would not have complied with Roman law. So if it had been God's will that the woman be stoned, Jesus would certainly have done that. God's will was that the woman be saved, not destroyed.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #107121
01/05/09 05:56 AM
01/05/09 05:56 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom

Quote:
mm: Of course, there was also the matter of Roman law which did not allow Jews to execute capital punishment. Jesus complied with Roman law. Not to comply would have constituted a sin and Satan would have won the GC. "Should He acquit the woman, He might be charged with despising the law of Moses. Should He declare her worthy of death, He could be accused to the Romans as one who was assuming authority that belonged only to them." {DA 460.5}

If God's law had conflicted with Roman law, Jesus would not have complied with Roman law. So if it had been God's will that the woman be stoned, Jesus would certainly have done that. God's will was that the woman be saved, not destroyed.

the da quote above sounds so contradictory to the context that i had to post the context.

Quote:
Their pretended reverence veiled a deep-laid plot for His ruin. They had seized upon this opportunity to secure His condemnation, thinking that whatever decision He might make, they would find occasion to accuse Him. Should He acquit the woman, He might be charged with despising the law of Moses. Should He declare her worthy of death, He could be accused to the Romans as one who was assuming authority that belonged only to them. {DA 460.5}
Jesus looked for a moment upon the scene,--the trembling victim in her shame, the hard-faced dignitaries, devoid of even human pity. His spirit of stainless purity shrank from the spectacle. Well He knew for what purpose this case had been brought to Him. He read the heart, and knew the character and life history of everyone in His presence. These would-be guardians of justice had themselves led their victim into sin, that they might lay a snare for Jesus. Giving no sign that He had heard their question, He stooped, and fixing His eyes upon the ground, began to write in the dust. {DA 461.1}
.... The accusers had been defeated. Now, their robe of pretended holiness torn from them, they stood, guilty and condemned, in the presence of Infinite Purity. They trembled lest the hidden iniquity of their lives should be laid open to the multitude; and one by one, with bowed heads and downcast eyes, they stole away, leaving their victim with the pitying Saviour. {DA 461.4}
Jesus arose, and looking at the woman said, "Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." {DA 461.5}
The woman had stood before Jesus, cowering with fear. His words, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone," had come to her as a death sentence. She dared not lift her eyes to the Saviour's face, but silently awaited her doom. In astonishment she saw her accusers depart speechless and confounded; then those words of hope fell upon her ear, "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." Her heart was melted, and she cast herself at the feet of Jesus, sobbing out her grateful love, and with bitter tears confessing her sins. {DA 462.1}
This was to her the beginning of a new life, a life of purity and peace, devoted to the service of God. In the uplifting of this fallen soul, Jesus performed a greater miracle than in healing the most grievous physical disease; He cured the spiritual malady which is unto death everlasting. This penitent woman became one of His most steadfast followers. With self-sacrificing love and devotion she repaid His forgiving mercy. {DA 462.2}
In His act of pardoning this woman and encouraging her to live a better life, the character of Jesus shines forth in the beauty of perfect righteousness. While He does not palliate sin, nor lessen the sense of guilt, He seeks not to condemn, but to save. The world had for this erring woman only contempt and scorn; but Jesus speaks words of comfort and hope. The Sinless One pities the weakness of the sinner, and reaches to her a helping hand. While the hypocritical Pharisees denounce, Jesus bids her, "Go, and sin no more." {DA 462.3}

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #107123
01/05/09 06:20 AM
01/05/09 06:20 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: teresaq
i forgot one of the most important ones.

1Sa 8:5 And said unto him, Behold, thou art old, and thy sons walk not in thy ways: now make us a king to judge us like all the nations.
1Sa 8:7 And the LORD said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign over them.

Jdg 17:6 In those days there was no king in Israel, but every man did that which was right in his own eyes.
Jdg 21:25 In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes.

1Sa 8:9 Now therefore hearken unto their voice: howbeit yet protest solemnly unto them, and shew them the manner of the king that shall reign over them.
1Sa 8:10 And Samuel told all the words of the LORD unto the people that asked of him a king.
1Sa 8:11 And he said, This will be the manner of the king that shall reign over you: He will take your sons, and appoint them for himself, for his chariots, and to be his horsemen; and some shall run before his chariots.
1Sa 8:12 And he will appoint him captains over thousands, and captains over fifties; and will set them to ear his ground, and to reap his harvest, and to make his instruments of war, and instruments of his chariots.
1Sa 8:13 And he will take your daughters to be confectionaries, and to be cooks, and to be bakers.
1Sa 8:14 And he will take your fields, and your vineyards, and your oliveyards, even the best of them, and give them to his servants.
1Sa 8:15 And he will take the tenth of your seed, and of your vineyards, and give to his officers, and to his servants.
1Sa 8:16 And he will take your menservants, and your maidservants, and your goodliest young men, and your asses, and put them to his work.
1Sa 8:17 He will take the tenth of your sheep: and ye shall be his servants.
1Sa 8:18 And ye shall cry out in that day because of your king which ye shall have chosen you; and the LORD will not hear you in that day.

God spelled it out a long time before Samuel. Having a king would have been a blessing if he had followed in the footsteps of Moses. Here's what He instructed Moses about it:

Deuteronomy
17:14 When thou art come unto the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt possess it, and shalt dwell therein, and shalt say, I will set a king over me, like as all the nations that [are] about me;
17:15 Thou shalt in any wise set [him] king over thee, whom the LORD thy God shall choose: [one] from among thy brethren shalt thou set king over thee: thou mayest not set a stranger over thee, which [is] not thy brother.
17:16 But he shall not multiply horses to himself, nor cause the people to return to Egypt, to the end that he should multiply horses: forasmuch as the LORD hath said unto you, Ye shall henceforth return no more that way.
17:17 Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.
17:18 And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of [that which is] before the priests the Levites:
17:19 And it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the LORD his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them:
17:20 That his heart be not lifted up above his brethren, and that he turn not aside from the commandment, [to] the right hand, or [to] the left: to the end that he may prolong [his] days in his kingdom, he, and his children, in the midst of Israel.

i missed the part where it was supposed to turn out to be a blessing. perhaps you could point it out. whatever might have been meant how does that change the fact that God gave the israelites what they wanted and not what was His will?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #107124
01/05/09 06:43 AM
01/05/09 06:43 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
M: Teresaq, thank you. Your examples prove that God permitted divorce and polygamy to accommodate their perverted desires. Now, do you think we can apply this principle elsewhere? For example, based on the passages you posted, can we deduce that God must have commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer to accommodate their perverted desires?

t: is there any possiblity that it is possible? that is probably the most pertinent question.

I'm asking you. I've made my position clear. My answer is, No, to the question - "Based on the passages you posted, can we deduce that God must have commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer to accommodate their perverted desires?"

so for you there is no possibility. that was the question. the passages i posted was in regard to 106907 and your statement here:
Quote:
I take it you mean to say this parable is an example of God compromising the truth to accommodate the perverted desires of sinners. If so, please explain how. Thank you.

i merely provided more examples of how God gave people what they wanted even tho it was not His will.

Quote:
Quote:
t: is "perverted desires" the most appropriate description? how about "perverted thinking"?

Quote:
It depends on how you answer the question above. From my perspective there was nothing perverted about the thinking or the desires of the Jews in these two specific cases (e.g. the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer). They came to Moses because they were not sure what to do? Unlike the Jews who brought the woman caught in the act of adultery to Jesus, it was not in their mind or heart to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer.

that is your issue. it has nothing to do with me. "perverted desires" is your invention, also, according to how you view things.

Quote:
Quote:
t: when God said to not steal, should He have spelled it out like He did with not coveting?

In essence He spelled out more clearly all ten commandments in the Law of Moses. Here's how Ellen put it:

But He did not stop with giving them the precepts of the Decalogue. The people had shown themselves so easily led astray that He would leave no door of temptation unguarded. Moses was commanded to write, as God should bid him, judgments and laws giving minute instruction as to what was required. These directions relating to the duty of the people to God, to one another, and to the stranger were only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified and given in a specific manner, that none need err. They were designed to guard the sacredness of the ten precepts engraved on the tables of stone. {PP 364.1}

how did you see this as answering my question about the specific commandments against stealing and coveting?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #107211
01/06/09 06:28 PM
01/06/09 06:28 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
The idea that God compromised the truth to accommodate the perverted desires of sinners is absurd. The Bible is too plainly worded to be mistaken or misunderstood.

Besides the example I gave you,
you said,
Quote:
Teresaq, thank you. Your examples prove that God permitted divorce and polygamy to accommodate their perverted desires.

Would you be saying that at first you thought it was absurd whereas now you think your comment has been proven wrong?

Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #107275
01/07/09 11:55 PM
01/07/09 11:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM: Of course, there was also the matter of Roman law which did not allow Jews to execute capital punishment. Jesus complied with Roman law. Not to comply would have constituted a sin and Satan would have won the GC. "Should He acquit the woman, He might be charged with despising the law of Moses. Should He declare her worthy of death, He could be accused to the Romans as one who was assuming authority that belonged only to them." {DA 460.5}

TOM: If God's law had conflicted with Roman law, Jesus would not have complied with Roman law. So if it had been God's will that the woman be stoned, Jesus would certainly have done that. God's will was that the woman be saved, not destroyed.

teresaq: the da quote above sounds so contradictory to the context that i had to post the context.

Quote:
Their pretended reverence veiled a deep-laid plot for His ruin. They had seized upon this opportunity to secure His condemnation, thinking that whatever decision He might make, they would find occasion to accuse Him. Should He acquit the woman, He might be charged with despising the law of Moses. Should He declare her worthy of death, He could be accused to the Romans as one who was assuming authority that belonged only to them. {DA 460.5}
Jesus looked for a moment upon the scene,--the trembling victim in her shame, the hard-faced dignitaries, devoid of even human pity. His spirit of stainless purity shrank from the spectacle. Well He knew for what purpose this case had been brought to Him. He read the heart, and knew the character and life history of everyone in His presence. These would-be guardians of justice had themselves led their victim into sin, that they might lay a snare for Jesus. Giving no sign that He had heard their question, He stooped, and fixing His eyes upon the ground, began to write in the dust. {DA 461.1}
.... The accusers had been defeated. Now, their robe of pretended holiness torn from them, they stood, guilty and condemned, in the presence of Infinite Purity. They trembled lest the hidden iniquity of their lives should be laid open to the multitude; and one by one, with bowed heads and downcast eyes, they stole away, leaving their victim with the pitying Saviour. {DA 461.4}
Jesus arose, and looking at the woman said, "Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." {DA 461.5}
The woman had stood before Jesus, cowering with fear. His words, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone," had come to her as a death sentence. She dared not lift her eyes to the Saviour's face, but silently awaited her doom. In astonishment she saw her accusers depart speechless and confounded; then those words of hope fell upon her ear, "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." Her heart was melted, and she cast herself at the feet of Jesus, sobbing out her grateful love, and with bitter tears confessing her sins. {DA 462.1}
This was to her the beginning of a new life, a life of purity and peace, devoted to the service of God. In the uplifting of this fallen soul, Jesus performed a greater miracle than in healing the most grievous physical disease; He cured the spiritual malady which is unto death everlasting. This penitent woman became one of His most steadfast followers. With self-sacrificing love and devotion she repaid His forgiving mercy. {DA 462.2}
In His act of pardoning this woman and encouraging her to live a better life, the character of Jesus shines forth in the beauty of perfect righteousness. While He does not palliate sin, nor lessen the sense of guilt, He seeks not to condemn, but to save. The world had for this erring woman only contempt and scorn; but Jesus speaks words of comfort and hope. The Sinless One pities the weakness of the sinner, and reaches to her a helping hand. While the hypocritical Pharisees denounce, Jesus bids her, "Go, and sin no more." {DA 462.3}

Teresaq, in light of the topic of this thread, do you see a contradiction in the way Jesus handled the situation in relation to the woman caught in the act of adultery and the way He handled the situation in relation to Moses and the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer? If not, please explain why. Thank you.

Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #107276
01/08/09 12:07 AM
01/08/09 12:07 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM: God spelled it out a long time before Samuel. Having a king would have been a blessing if he had followed in the footsteps of Moses. Here's what He instructed Moses about it:

Deuteronomy
17:14 When thou art come unto the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt possess it, and shalt dwell therein, and shalt say, I will set a king over me, like as all the nations that [are] about me;
17:15 Thou shalt in any wise set [him] king over thee, whom the LORD thy God shall choose: [one] from among thy brethren shalt thou set king over thee: thou mayest not set a stranger over thee, which [is] not thy brother.
17:16 But he shall not multiply horses to himself, nor cause the people to return to Egypt, to the end that he should multiply horses: forasmuch as the LORD hath said unto you, Ye shall henceforth return no more that way.
17:17 Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.
17:18 And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of [that which is] before the priests the Levites:
17:19 And it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the LORD his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them:
17:20 That his heart be not lifted up above his brethren, and that he turn not aside from the commandment, [to] the right hand, or [to] the left: to the end that he may prolong [his] days in his kingdom, he, and his children, in the midst of Israel.

t: i missed the part where it was supposed to turn out to be a blessing. perhaps you could point it out. whatever might have been meant how does that change the fact that God gave the israelites what they wanted and not what was His will?

Here's the part that sounds like a blessing to me. Having such a king leading the people would be nearly identical to Moses.

You asked, "Whatever might have been meant how does that change the fact that God gave the israelites what they wanted and not what was His will?" I don't see God compromising with sin in this case. Wanting a godly king to lead them was not a sin. Or, do you know of a quote that says otherwise. I know it wasn't God's ideal for them, but was having a king a sin in and of itself?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #107278
01/08/09 01:13 AM
01/08/09 01:13 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
You asked, "Whatever might have been meant how does that change the fact that God gave the Israelites what they wanted and not what was His will?" I don't see God compromising with sin in this case. Wanting a godly king to lead them was not a sin. Or, do you know of a quote that says otherwise. I know it wasn't God's ideal for them, but was having a king a sin in and of itself?

kland said it wasn't God's will. "God gave the Israelites what they wanted and not what was His will."

He didn't say anything about sin. If you want to ask a question about sin, that's fine, but why not answer the question that you were asked on the way to asking your question?

(Please pardon my butting in, MM. I didn't think you would mind.)

Page 16 of 100 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!