HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,633
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,491 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Ancient Babylon was culturally superior to us? #10761
09/05/04 12:25 PM
09/05/04 12:25 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Recently I've been reading books that give a summary of scientific knowledge, especially in the areas of physics and math as they relate to the origin of the universe. I'm trying to get a grasp of how solid the modern underpinnings of science are, and my findings so far are that several hypothesis that are well established in the scientific community appear to be questionable at best.

One reason for doing this is that according to the vision in Daniel 2 of the image, our civilization is very much inferior to not only the Babylonians, but also to every major civilization before us. One question that arrises from this is 'How or in what ways is our culture inferior to the Babylonians and other cultures?' Science and art natually come to mind first, but there are other ways that also present themselves - government, architecture, philospophy, religion, morality, individual industry, etc. So we have to ask ourselves the question I think, 'How could the Babylonians possibly be so culturally superior to us that their civilization is as gold compared to iron and clay?'

This idea is immediately dismissed by most moderns because it runs completely contrary to evolutionary thought - that man is ever progressing in his evolution. And they will immediately point to modern technology as the best proof of our 'progress.' But the image vision says exactly the opposite. Which is right? The more I study the more I am convinced that man in everyway has retrograded since the times of ancient Babylon. While it is true that the light of the Reformation and the renassance rescued the west from the brink of self destruction, inspiration still presents our cultural achievements subsequent to the Reformation as vastly inferior to the ancient cultures. I'll say more about what evidence I'm relying on later, but I'm asking for help right now on some questions I have that may not seem directly related but will eventually lead back to this topic.

Re: Ancient Babylon was culturally superior to us? #10762
09/05/04 12:33 PM
09/05/04 12:33 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
The first questions I have are for people involved in the sciences, but anyone is welcomed and encouraged to take a stab at them:

Einstein's theory of General Relativity, if I understand it correctly, says that nothing in the physical universe travels faster than light. What proof do we have that that hypothesis is correct? It may be true that light (which they say is one form of electro-magnetic radiation) is the fastest thing that our senses are capable of measuring but how solidly has it been proven that nothing travels faster. Doesn't the unusual behaviour of matter at the sub-atomic level point in some ways to forces and speeds that we do not understand?

I'm told that experiments have shown that information can travel instantaneously in the universe at the subatomic level. Doesn't this also affect Einstein's theory?

I'm just starting to look into quantum mechanics a little. Einstein found it to be false and spent a great deal of effort, most of his later years in trying to disprove it, but it is generally accepted today. One objection to it is that it says that all the molecules of a gas in a cylinder lets say, will if time lasts indefinitely, according to the laws of probablility, be in one corner of the cylindar at a given moment in time. That has never been known to happen, but almost all scientists say that it could. Doesn't common sence and experience say the opposite?

Re: Ancient Babylon was culturally superior to us? #10763
09/07/04 11:04 PM
09/07/04 11:04 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
No replies? Well then, I have a short essay that gives a summary of what I think is the current situation in the scientific community. I’ve shared this with a prominent creation scientist and I’m waiting for his critique, but in the mean time, I thought I’d share it here:

Einstein’s theories of relativity (he offered two – the theory of special relativity and the theory of general relativity) may be useful for predicting certain physical phenomena but given that his theories don’t account for several behaviours in physics we should cognizant of the possibility that these theories and others such as those of Heisenberg may only be rough approximations, similar to the theories of the ancient Greeks whose astronomical models approximated reality, but included some inaccuracies and invalid assumptions.

For example, one of the assumptions of Einstein’s theories – that everything in the universe is relative to physical light; that nothing travels faster than light – is intuitively false. In contrast to Einstein, the scriptures state that all of creation, the visible and the invisible, is sustained and upheld by the invisible and active ‘word of His power’. Interestingly, the ancient heathen also understood and acknowledged this principal - that the material and temporal world is sustained and nurtured by the powers of the invisible universe. Luke records the Apostle Paul as quoting the ancient philosophers who said “In Him we live and move and have our being”. In contrast to today’s unreasoning arrogance and sophistry, the ancient philosophers freely acknowledged the existence and superiority of the invisible realm, the interaction between the two, and the complete dependence of the visible universe upon the invisible universe.

Fundamentally therefore, the philosophy of the ancients was far superior to what exists in western society today. The ancient’s conception of truth in comparison with modern thought is as gold in contrast to iron. The mind-numbing and blind belief in only the physical among modern scientists and philosophers is in fact as primitive and flawed as the thoughts of the non-existent Neolithic man from the evolutionist’s incredible credo.

This unhappy state of ferment in modern thought has almost come full circle in recent years with the spiritual and invisible now being accounted for through the back door of black holes and parallel universes of one kind or another. Physicists today struggle to supply the cosmological answers by opening to the philosopher areas that allow for the existence of magic and the paranormal but only as the direct result of physical phenomena. Modern cosmologists, most of whom are physicists, generally continue to deny the existence of an intelligent and active Creator and Sustainer.

However, there is one more step in the ferment of modern thought. The final step in the ‘evolution’ of man will no doubt be a full acknowledgment of the paranormal as existing on its own independent of physical phenomena. But even as this reality dawns on modern thought, the evolutionist is subjected to the greatest of all delusions; ie., that man is intrinsically predestined to become his own god, at one with the supernatural realm through his own intrinsic goodness, intelligence and innate deity. Again this is in contrast to the ancients who apparently intuitively understood that 1) God does exist and 2) that they were not Him.

But back to Einstein and relativity. . . Defining the universe in terms of the physical only – ie., that which can be sensed because it reflects electromagnetic radiation (light etc.) – Einstein implicitly denied the greater realities of creation, those of the invisible realm. In contrast to relativity, the Bible styles Christ the benevolent Creator of both the visible and invisible. The relativistic model has had the unfortunate effect of leading men and women to accept the false notion that the invisible universe is somehow less real or desirable than the physical. This is again in direct contrast to the teachings of the word. The unseen universe is in fact the greater reality and the more desirable state. ‘Flesh and blood cannot inherit’ it we are told. Nevertheless, be that as it may, the unseen universe is as far superior to the temporal world as the heaven is higher than the earth. The gospel teaches that this unseen world which has the New Jerusalem as its capital is in fact the rightful home of those who follow Truth. The Holy City is the greatest of all realities and it will be revealed to and bequeathed to those that see it now only by faith.

The cosmology of the Bible therefore is one in which the physical ultimately undergoes a supernatural transformation. Those who acknowledge and love the Creator will be transformed and translated to the greater realm, the greater reality; and the same is true of the earth. The earth also is transformed at the end of the seventh millennium when God recreates the earth a second time.

The human mind has difficulty imagining such altered states that are not subject to the same laws of time and space that we experience now, but according the sure word of prophecy, there will come a time when the ‘heavens will be rolled up as a scroll’ and the ‘elements will melt with fervent heat’. This is the precursor to the new earth. At that time heaven and earth will merge; the now invisible throne of God will appear and become visible and the capital city of the universe, the New Jerusalem will ‘descend out of heaven from God prepared as a bride adorned for her husband’. A transformed, eternal earth will be the central point of the universe and the God of love and justice will be its King; His coregent will be Christ, and the meek will be the inheritors of the earth. The inhabitants of the unfallen worlds, the ‘sons of God’, will once again shout for joy and the earth will then be the capital planet and great centre of the new creation.

Re: Ancient Babylon was culturally superior to us? #10764
09/08/04 04:15 AM
09/08/04 04:15 AM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
I'm following along, Mark, but where does Babylon the civilization come in on this? I just saw it's main gate, the Ishtar Gate in Berlin's Old Museum, so I know how colossal the city was.

Re: Ancient Babylon was culturally superior to us? #10765
09/09/04 12:19 AM
09/09/04 12:19 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Can you describe the gate a bit more - its architecture and art.

In the last post I mentioned the philosophy that the Apostle Paul quoted. This was very likely from one or more of the Greek philosophers. I’m suggesting that if the ancient Greek’s accepted wisdom was so much closer to reality than that of today’s ‘wisdom’ or understanding of the cosmos, and if Greek culture is inferior to Babylonian culture according to Daniel 2 as brass is inferior to gold, then we should expect that the wisdom of the Babylonians, their understanding of the cosmos and man’s position in it, was very likely much more accurate and enlightened than even the Greeks.

This tends to be born out by the fact that Babylon’s greatest king was wise enough to place a prophet of the true God in charge of the entire empire as his vice regent. In contrast can you picture any of the most enlightened Emperors of the Roman Empire doing this. Yet this happened a second, third and fourth times under Darius and Cyrus and Xerxes, under the gold and silver empire of Daniel 2. Significantly, it did not happen in later world empires. The Romans, rather than honouring John and Christ were instrumental in killing them. In terms of enlightenment, the Roman Empire appears to be the dullest of the dull in Bible prophecy notwithstanding that western society thinks precisely the opposite. (I should correct that last statement. Our society thinks very highly of Roman culture, but even more highly of ancient Greek culture. Even in our unenlightened state, there is general agreement still regarding the superiority of Greek culture over that of the Romans) But again, notice that the wise magi came from the east, rather than from the direction of Rome or Greece.

Re: Ancient Babylon was culturally superior to us? #10766
09/11/04 12:18 AM
09/11/04 12:18 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
The main point I’ve been belabouring is that there is good reason to think that modern culture is indeed quite inferior to what the Babylonians enjoyed. I may have gone a little too far in my emphasis. Let me add that the Reformation revived western culture to an astonishing degree, but that if we were to take for example what appears on television today as a valid measurement of popular culture and combined that with what is the accepted wisdom in the universities of the west, we would find that in general our society is quite degraded compared to what the Babylonians enjoyed.

Today we are inundated with junk food, junk music, junk art, junk entertainment etc. Can you imagine the noble King of Babylon giving the slightest attention to Mic Jagger? But in modern society Jagger has been knighted by her majesty Elizabeth II, along with Paul McCartney and I think Elton John. Doesn’t this give us some understanding of the inferior nature of modern culture?

Re: Ancient Babylon was culturally superior to us? #10767
09/12/04 03:31 AM
09/12/04 03:31 AM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
Another good indicator -- Jay Leno's "Jaywalking" segments where he asks pretty simple questions of the man/woman on the street, and most don't know the answers.

Re: Ancient Babylon was culturally superior to us? #10768
09/12/04 10:23 AM
09/12/04 10:23 AM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Sure I'll do even better than trying to discribe it Mark: I'll link you to the actual site of the actual Ishtar Gate at the actual museum where I saw it!!

"The stones will cry out"...in the Latter Days

Re: Ancient Babylon was culturally superior to us? #10769
09/12/04 11:35 AM
09/12/04 11:35 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Thanks Ikan. The thing that immediately strikes me from the picture is that although this is a city wall, the gate has a finished look, more like the interior of a mansion than the stockade of a fortress. If the Babylonians had the wealth and resources to deocate their outer city walls like this, imagine what the interior of their homes might have been like, especially of the wealthy.

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!