HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,641
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, daylily, dedication, Kevin H), 3,282 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Lesson #6 - Testing the PROPHETS [Re: Daryl] #107876
02/05/09 01:27 AM
02/05/09 01:27 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Testing everything "sola scriptura" is required according to Isaiah 8:19 "To the Law and to the Testimony"

And we see this "in practice" in Acts 17:11 "They studied the scriptures daily to SEE IF those things spoken to them by Paul were so".

This has interesting implications given that the canon of scripture is now closed.

It means - you do not use Agabus, or Philips 4 daughters or the many in 1Cor 14 that all had the gift of prophecy - or Ellen White or even Matteson and Loughborough that were themselves quoted by Ellen White in Testimonies Vol 1 as being fellow prophets in her day -- to "establish or test" doctrine.

Only the Bible.

Secondly it means that the source of inspiration is God Himself - for this can be the only reason that "infallibility" is a "test".

Thirdly - since all the Bible writers are now dead -- and since we have no way to quiz Bible writers on "what they were thinking" at the time they wrote -- our only recourse is to see the actual WORDS of scripture and to test doctrine against THEM -- not against what we might "guess" the writer was "thinking" at the time.

Which has an interesting implication for our understanding of "thought inspiration" vs "verbal inspiration".

in Christ,

Bob

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #6 - Testing the PROPHETS [Re: Bobryan] #107891
02/05/09 01:38 PM
02/05/09 01:38 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Looking at Tuesday's section, is fulfilled prophecy a test of a true prophet that determines whether a person is a true or a false prophet?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Testing the PROPHETS [Re: Daryl] #107921
02/06/09 06:16 PM
02/06/09 06:16 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
To answer that question myself, the answer is obviously no based on the following from Tuesday's section:
Quote:

The fulfillment of most prophecies (exceptions are the end-time prophecies of Daniel and Revelation) is dependent on the actions and attitudes of the people concerned. Jonah made the clear-cut statement, given him from God, that in 40 days Nineveh would be “overturned” (Jonah 3:4, NIV). Yet, it never happened. Was Jonah a false prophet? Of course not. Instead, the prophecy was conditional; its fulfillment depended upon how the people responded to the message God had given them.

Daryl smile

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Testing the PROPHETS [Re: Daryl] #107922
02/06/09 06:20 PM
02/06/09 06:20 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
So what about failed prophecies made by Ellen White?

I agree with the comments regarding this from Tuesday's section quoted below:

Quote:

This principle may explain why a particular prophecy made by Ellen White in 1856 did not come to pass. In 1856, Mrs. White declared: “I was shown the company present at the Conference. Said the angel: ‘Some food for worms, some subjects of the seven last plagues, some will be alive and remain upon the earth to be translated at the coming of Jesus.’ ”—Testimonies for the Church, vol. 1, p. 131, 132.

All who were alive way back then are now, of course, dead. How do we explain this? The answer is conditional prophecy. We must remember that she was told God’s kingdom could have come in her lifetime. In 1896 she wrote: “If those who claimed to have a living experience in the things of God had done their appointed work as the Lord ordained, the whole world would have been warned ere this, and the Lord Jesus would have come in power and great glory.”—Review and Herald, Oct. 6, 1896.

In the last volume of the Testimonies for the Church, published in 1909, she wrote, If every soldier of Christ had done his duty, if every watchman on the walls of Zion had given the trumpet a certain sound, the world might ere this have heard the message of warning. But the work is years behind. While men have slept, Satan has stolen a march upon us.—Testimonies for the Church, vol. 9, p. 29. If we apply the principle of conditionality to her 1856 vision, the problem disappears.

Daryl smile

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Testing the PROPHETS [Re: Daryl] #107923
02/06/09 06:25 PM
02/06/09 06:25 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Another test discussed is in regards to the following question from Wednesday's section:
Quote:

What was one of the issues John faced in his time; and what does he say is another mark of a true prophet? 1 John 4:1, 2.

1 John 4:1,2 says:
Quote:

1 John 4:1 MKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but try the spirits to see if they are of God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God;

What does "every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God" actually mean in practical terms?

Daryl smile

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Testing the PROPHETS [Re: Daryl] #107939
02/06/09 10:38 PM
02/06/09 10:38 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
The following in Wednesday's section answers the question on what "every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God" means:
Quote:

This test is broader than simply to believe that Jesus became a human being. It includes everything the Bible teaches about Jesus. He took on humanity for a purpose. He became man in order to live a sinless life, and then die for sinful humanity. But more than that, He became man so that after His resurrection and ascension He could minister for us in the heavenly sanctuary. Our High Priest is one Who is able to understand us and can sympathize with our weaknesses, because He was tempted in every way human beings are tempted (Heb. 4:14, 15).

Every true prophet will point people to Jesus, the God-man, who is the Savior and example of all humanity. Ellen G. White’s life was devoted to doing just that. She wrote, “Jesus Christ is everything to us,—the first, the last, the best in everything. Jesus Christ, His Spirit, His character, colors everything; it is the warp and woof, the very texture of our entire being. . . . Christ is a living Saviour. Continuing to look unto Jesus, we reflect His image to all around us.”—Messages to Young People, p. 161.

Daryl smile

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Testing the PROPHETS [Re: Daryl] #107941
02/06/09 11:05 PM
02/06/09 11:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett

Quote:

This principle may explain why a particular prophecy made by Ellen White in 1856 did not come to pass. In 1856, Mrs. White declared: “I was shown the company present at the Conference. Said the angel: ‘Some food for worms, some subjects of the seven last plagues, some will be alive and remain upon the earth to be translated at the coming of Jesus.’ ”—Testimonies for the Church, vol. 1, p. 131, 132.

All who were alive way back then are now, of course, dead. How do we explain this? The answer is conditional prophecy. We must remember that she was told God’s kingdom could have come in her lifetime. In 1896 she wrote: “If those who claimed to have a living experience in the things of God had done their appointed work as the Lord ordained, the whole world would have been warned ere this, and the Lord Jesus would have come in power and great glory.”—Review and Herald, Oct. 6, 1896.

In the last volume of the Testimonies for the Church, published in 1909, she wrote, If every soldier of Christ had done his duty, if every watchman on the walls of Zion had given the trumpet a certain sound, the world might ere this have heard the message of warning. But the work is years behind. While men have slept, Satan has stolen a march upon us.—Testimonies for the Church, vol. 9, p. 29. If we apply the principle of conditionality to her 1856 vision, the problem disappears.

I have always felt the 1888 message weighted heavily on her and she felt that was a key message that would have helped spread the message to the world, and a major opportunity was missed because of the leaders resistance and rejection.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Testing the PROPHETS [Re: Daryl] #107953
02/07/09 06:04 AM
02/07/09 06:04 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett

Quote:

This is HERESY! Please allow me to share my own experience relative to this prophecy.

Back in about the late 1990s, if I recall, I was searching online for some of Mrs. White's books. I typed into the browser "ellenwhite.org," thinking that would be the official website. At that time, the site was constructed VERY subtly, and did not come across at first as being against Mrs. White, although in fact it was an anti-EGW website.

On the website were certain questions, with links to follow for the answers. The questions were intriguing ones, and I began to follow the links. Many were phrased in the manner of "What did Mrs. White say about...?" I followed a link regarding something about the time of the second coming. The answer provided was the prophecy which in the lesson is said to have failed.

Excuse me? Failed prophecy? But that is exactly what it appeared to be.

Hoping that there must be some mistake, or that the website had not properly quoted Mrs. White, I went to find the prophecy at its source--the good old print on paper kind. It was all true. The website had quoted properly. I checked the date it was written, and found that it would be impossible for someone from that time to still be alive.

I sunk in despair.

I knew that Ellen White was a prophet of God. I had been taught so much that I could hardly deny the reality of such. Yet if Mrs. White had prophesied something that did not come to pass, then she would have to be a false prophet. And because so much of what she had written was based squarely on the Bible, my mind told me instinctively that throwing her out would mean that next I would be forced to deny the Bible....and ultimately, God.

For two or three weeks, I hung in the balances between life and death. Utter despair gripped me, and I considered whether life were worth living. I admit that this was the nearest I ever came to becoming an atheist.

Having desired Heaven all my life, I just couldn't let go, even though in my anguish it seemed nearly inevitable that I would be forced to conclude that one of God's prophecies had failed. I went back to the books, and read and re-read the statements Mrs. White had written.

I do not now recall how much praying I did at that time, for I was indeed questioning the very foundations of my belief in God. But I believe that it was God who showed me the answer. You see, Ellen White was inspired in the same way that Paul was inspired. She was human in the same way that we are. God is not like us. God's name is "I AM." He lives the future as if it were the present. God has always emphasized the shortness of time to us humans, in every age and generation, for He truly comes to every generation in judgment.

Jesus said, "There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom." (Matthew 16:28) I know that Ellen applies this to the Mount of Transfiguration experience. But I do not. At least, I do not think that was the primary or only significance of those words. Did the "Son of Man" come at that time? Rather, Jesus meant the same thing that John did when he wrote "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life" (John 3:36) in which "hath" is PRESENT TENSE. It was the same concept that Jesus taught when saying things like "Give place: for the maid is not dead, but sleepeth. And they laughed him to scorn." (Matthew 9:24)

Jesus speaks of all who are His as "alive." Look at this verse carefully:

"I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living." (Matthew 22:32)

Jesus is saying that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are ALIVE. From what John wrote, we can be sure that the "life" which they have is also "everlasting."

This is just one aspect of God's perspective that has a bearing on this prophecy. The other one is that of interpretation. Mrs. White, just like Paul and others, fully believed that Christ would come in her day. Paul said: "For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep." (1 Thessalonians 4:15) Clearly, Paul expected some in his day to be alive when Christ came again. Ellen White wrote from her understanding, but if you look carefully at only the quoted part of what the angel said (and ignore Mrs. White's interpretation of it), you will find that the prophecy has not failed, for it did not establish itself to a particular time period. When Mrs. White saw a great company of God's people gathered together, she immediately assumed it to mean the very company she was present with at that time. However, I believe that it was a representation of God's people in general, which may well include those to come afterward.

When I finally realized all of this, hope came back, and I revived. The prophecy is just as good and as true as it ever was. It has not failed, nor can it.

May God bless,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Testing the PROPHETS [Re: Green Cochoa] #107956
02/07/09 01:34 PM
02/07/09 01:34 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Ellen White wrote from her understanding.
GC Thank you for sharing the importance of searching deeper when faced with doubt regarding Ellen. I've been blessed with Ellen tremendously with her counsels and enlightenment regarding true education, Health, Marriage, raising children, sanctification, church issues, commentaries of the Bible, etc...

Now that I've tackle Daniel and Revelation prophecies for the first time and in prayers I ask to "hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein : for the time is at hand" Rev 1:3. This verse starts with "Blessed is he that readeth and they that hear the words of this prophecy...". I want to be blessed, and want to blessed others with this, however, I find that our Church is in darkness about it, and the end is just around the corner. What I'm starting to realize this darkness is mainly due to the Millerite movement and how they mis-understood 2300 prophecies and they were interpreting Revelation with that time. They applied the trumpets, the seals and other to their time. Jesus didn't come, then again after 1888, it didn't happen. So this "understanding" caused a lot of confusion today to "read and hear" the most important prophecies that is about the take place, and to bring hope and be a blessing to the world in time of despair. Many who stand on EGW cannot search deeper in Scripture as soon it conflicts with EGW or what Smith said in the pass. What happen if what she said was an "understanding" and not "thus said the Lord". How can we differentiate?

How can we move on to read and hear the Revelation of Jesus Christ without constantly being treathened of HERECY versus EGW if in the new light, we conflict with past mis-understanding and application of Revelation?

Last edited by Elle; 02/07/09 01:42 PM.

Blessings
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Testing the PROPHETS [Re: Elle] #107957
02/07/09 01:49 PM
02/07/09 01:49 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
I find it interesting that this lesson "on the test of a prophet" starging with FB18 -- never actually goes through the exercise of "applying them" in the case of Ellen White -- except for the modest attempt in the case of "fruit of the Spirit" where a newspaper report commenting on her life at the time that she died - is cited as proof of her character.

They never test - message-vs-Bible
They never test - "Christ came in the flesh"
They never test - "predictions"

It is as if they just have no interest or practice in doing it and THIS on a lesson where this is THE subject!

in Christ,

Bob

Reply Quote
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!