HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,641
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H), 3,372 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Lesson #6 - Testing the PROPHETS [Re: Green Cochoa] #107967
02/07/09 06:41 PM
02/07/09 06:41 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa

This is just one aspect of God's perspective that has a bearing on this prophecy. The other one is that of interpretation. Mrs. White, just like Paul and others, fully believed that Christ would come in her day. Paul said: "For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep." (1 Thessalonians 4:15) Clearly, Paul expected some in his day to be alive when Christ came again.
May God bless,

Green Cochoa.

i have to respectfully disagree. paul seemed to know quite clearly that Christ was not coming in his day, as did all the bible writers. their writings were not because they did not "understand" but because we are to live as if Christ could come any minute. the burden and urgency of all the writers of the bible and sop has been for us to not live half in the world and half in heaven.

2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #6 - Testing the PROPHETS [Re: teresaq] #107985
02/08/09 12:09 AM
02/08/09 12:09 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
In response to the last few posts, we should look at what else EGW said about this from Friday's section:
Quote:

“As the subject was presented before me, the period of Christ’s ministration seemed almost accomplished. Am I accused of falsehood because time has continued longer than my testimony seemed to indicate? How is it with the testimonies of Christ and His disciples? Were they deceived? Paul writes to the Corinthians: ‘But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none; and they that weep, as though they wept not; and they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not’ (1 Cor. 7:29, 30).

“Again, in his epistle to the Romans, he says: ‘The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light’ (Rom. 13:12). . . .

“The angels of God in their messages to men represent time as very short. Thus it has always been presented to me. It is true that time has continued longer than we expected in the early days of this message. Our Saviour did not appear as soon as we hoped. But has the word of the Lord failed? Never! It should be remembered that the promises and threatenings of God are alike conditional.”—Ellen G. White, Selected Messages, book 1, p. 67.

Does anybody wish to comment on the above EGW quote?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Testing the PROPHETS [Re: Daryl] #107990
02/08/09 01:04 AM
02/08/09 01:04 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Daryl,

I certainly agree that Paul appears to have believed Christ would return in his day. I'm sure the disciples thought so too after two angels had told them "Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven."

Couple this with Christ's own words to the disciples: "Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me." In fact, the next verse explicitly tells us what the disciples thought of this: "Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die...."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Testing the PROPHETS [Re: Green Cochoa] #107997
02/08/09 03:09 AM
02/08/09 03:09 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Daryl,

I certainly agree that Paul appears to have believed Christ would return in his day. I'm sure the disciples thought so too after two angels had told them "Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven."

Couple this with Christ's own words to the disciples: "Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me." In fact, the next verse explicitly tells us what the disciples thought of this: "Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die...."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

the last half of that verse gives reason to believe differently.
Joh 21:23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?

2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

the question that comes to me is why we have chosen to believe they believed Jesus would return in their day given, what seems clear to me, bible evidence to the contrary?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Testing the PROPHETS [Re: teresaq] #108005
02/08/09 06:41 AM
02/08/09 06:41 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Teresa,

The clarification at the end of the verse which you have filled in appears to me to be merely an affirmation that Jesus had not said exactly what they had assumed, but it does not contradict the fact that the disciples had made the incorrect assumption. As John is the one writing this, he is careful to correct the statement on his behalf, but makes no blanket statement as to whether or not other disciples might also live to see Christ's return.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Testing the PROPHETS [Re: Green Cochoa] #108006
02/08/09 06:57 AM
02/08/09 06:57 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Teresa,

To elaborate, my point had to do with what the disciples believed, and not so much with what the "Bible" teaches. This is why I quoted only the part sufficient to show their belief in my earlier post. As another example, it is clear that the Bible teaches, and always taught, that the Messiah would come as a humble man who would be led to the slaughter. In spite of this, the disciples, even up to the Last Supper and Christ's betrayal, believed that Jesus would free them from the yoke of the Romans.

In other words, what the Bible authors BELIEVED, and what the Bible TEACHES, including what the prophets themselves may have taught, are not always the same.

Tell me, what would YOU think if you heard Jesus saying the following to you, in person, just before He ascends up into Heaven?

"And, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world."

Don't you think you would have taken that message personally?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Testing the PROPHETS [Re: Green Cochoa] #108007
02/08/09 08:07 AM
02/08/09 08:07 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Teresa,

To elaborate, my point had to do with what the disciples believed, and not so much with what the "Bible" teaches. This is why I quoted only the part sufficient to show their belief in my earlier post. As another example, it is clear that the Bible teaches, and always taught, that the Messiah would come as a humble man who would be led to the slaughter. In spite of this, the disciples, even up to the Last Supper and Christ's betrayal, believed that Jesus would free them from the yoke of the Romans.

In other words, what the Bible authors BELIEVED, and what the Bible TEACHES, including what the prophets themselves may have taught, are not always the same.

Tell me, what would YOU think if you heard Jesus saying the following to you, in person, just before He ascends up into Heaven?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

2Th 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
2Th 2:2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. 2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
2Th 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
2Th 2:5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Testing the PROPHETS [Re: teresaq] #108011
02/08/09 11:49 AM
02/08/09 11:49 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Teresa,

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

2Th 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
2Th 2:2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. 2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
2Th 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
2Th 2:5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

Teresa,

The text you present appears to my mind to be able to be interpreted one of two ways. Either Paul is saying God's coming is a long way off, or he's saying it is near. Because grammatically this is what grammarians would call a "dangling modifier," it leaves the meaning of the phrase ambiguous. Also, the entire phrase "that day shall not come" was supplied by the translators and is not in the original text.

However, there are other references, both from Paul and from several other New Testament authors, which tell us they believed these final events were very near. Comparing other texts helps clear up these kinds of ambiguity that we might have when looking at one passage alone.

Originally Posted By: Several New Testament authors
Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh. (James 5:8)

He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. (Revelation 22:20)

For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry. (Hebrews 10:37)

The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to show unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: (Revelation 1:1)

Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown. (Revelation 3:11)

Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. (2 Peter 3:12-13)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Testing the PROPHETS [Re: Green Cochoa] #108018
02/08/09 04:41 PM
02/08/09 04:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Both Paul and John believed the "little horn" (Papal Rome) was rapidly developing in their day and that Jesus would return shortly after Pagan Rome gave place to Papal Rome. There is no indication they understood time would last past 1844. They believed they were living in "the last time".

2 Thessalonians
2:6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he [the man of sin] might be revealed in his time.
2:7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he [Rome] who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
2:8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

1 John
2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Testing the PROPHETS [Re: Mountain Man] #108035
02/08/09 08:28 PM
02/08/09 08:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

This is a good point. Could it apply to Ellen White as well?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!