HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,636
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 7
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,466 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: The 'Open View' of God #10816
09/20/04 01:23 AM
09/20/04 01:23 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Or, could it be that God's actions influence our prayers? That makes more sense to me. I see God as the prime mover in heaven and on earth. The fact He can predict the future indicates He is in control. And no amount of praying is going to change the outcome of unfulfilled prophecy. This insight doesn't make prayer unimportant, but it does put it in the right prospective.

I'm just not convinced that God is, in any way, dependent upon our prayers to do those things that are necessary to win the great controversy, to save souls, or to heal and forgive sick people. I believe God is in control. He can heal anyone anytime it is necessary. If need be He will commission stones to finish preaching the gospel. He is in no way indebted to mankind.

Re: The 'Open View' of God #10817
09/20/04 10:40 AM
09/20/04 10:40 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Tom, good point about all these things being mysteries. One of the reasons for my pointing it out in this context was that I didn't want to push you or anyone into attempting to become too precise in an area where we really know very little.

I can see Mike's concern about the idea that we influence God. I think the traditional view in Adventism that prayer is to 'influence' us rather than for us to 'influence' God is correct. At first glance, the teaching of the 'open' view seems to muddy the waters on that issue, but maybe we're just not understanding it.

On the other hand, I agree with Tom that prayer opens the door in some mysterious way for God to act that would otherwise stay shut. It doesn't change His mind, or influence Him. It's not like the Catholic view of praying to Mary and the saints. But there is no doubt that God wants us to pray because prayer does make a big difference in the health and salvation and welfare of ourselves and of others.

Re: The 'Open View' of God #10818
09/20/04 10:44 AM
09/20/04 10:44 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
It might be helpful to ask the questions 'What does prayer do for me when I pray for my own salvation?' and 'How do my prayers for myself 'influence' God?'

Re: The 'Open View' of God #10819
09/20/04 11:04 AM
09/20/04 11:04 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Another thought - It might be helpful to rethink our definition of prayer in this context. Aren't spontaneous outpourings of gratitude as much a prayer of the soul as agonizing petitions? How do these times of worship and adoration 'influence' us and 'influence' God? When Mary and Elizabeth were filled with gratitude and with the Holy Spirit they prophecied.

Re: The 'Open View' of God #10820
09/20/04 02:56 PM
09/20/04 02:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Mark, I agree with the idea that our prayers are influenced by God's actions, God's influence. Exactly why God influences our prayers is, in some ways, a mystery. I cannot buy into the idea that He needs to influence our prayers so He can obtain permission to save souls, to heal the sick, or to do whatever it takes to win the great controversy. God earned the right on Calvary to do whatever He needs to do, in light of Satan's accusations, to accomplish these things. He is in no way dependent upon our prayers to do these specific things.

Matthew
28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

John
17:2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

Colossians
2:15 [And] having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Re: The 'Open View' of God #10821
09/20/04 08:20 PM
09/20/04 08:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Shipowick:
Tom, good point about all these things being mysteries. One of the reasons for my pointing it out in this context was that I didn't want to push you or anyone into attempting to become too precise in an area where we really know very little.

I can see Mike's concern about the idea that we influence God. I think the traditional view in Adventism that prayer is to 'influence' us rather than for us to 'influence' God is correct. At first glance, the teaching of the 'open' view seems to muddy the waters on that issue, but maybe we're just not understanding it.

On the other hand, I agree with Tom that prayer opens the door in some mysterious way for God to act that would otherwise stay shut. It doesn't change His mind, or influence Him. It's not like the Catholic view of praying to Mary and the saints. But there is no doubt that God wants us to pray because prayer does make a big difference in the health and salvation and welfare of ourselves and of others.

I don't think the Adventest view is, well let me re-phrase that. I don't think the E.G.W. view is that our prayers don't influence God, but that they don't change God. This is dealing with the question of character vs. actions.

Open theism says that God's character doesn't change, but that He interacts with humans in a reciprocal relationship where both are influenced by the other. This doesn't imply equality in the relationship; God is God, and we are just creatures, but God in His graciousness has chosen to deal with us in this way.

"Influenced" doesn't imply changing God's character, but simply that He really does respond to us as a straight-forward reading of Scripture would indicate. I gave some examples earlier.

Regarding prayer, God is influenced by our prayers in the sense that He does things that He would not otherwise have done because we prayed.

There's a famous story about E.G.W. where she prayed for someone who was, let's say unsympathetic to the causes of God, and the fellow was healed and was worse after being healed than He was before. When she asked God why He healed the fellow, God responded, "because you asked."

I don't have a reference to this story, but I don't believe it's apocryphal.

Re: The 'Open View' of God #10822
09/20/04 08:30 PM
09/20/04 08:30 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Shipowick:
It might be helpful to ask the questions 'What does prayer do for me when I pray for my own salvation?' and 'How do my prayers for myself 'influence' God?'

Very good questions!

Here's a way I think of the general question. To God our free will is paramount. He wants to teach us and guide us, more than we can no. But unless we cooperate with Him, for Him to do these things could involve infringing on our own choices. If we actively ask for guidance, we free Him up, so to speak, to do more for us.

In this case I think all of us would be in agreement that what's going on is we are indicating a willingness for God to mold us, a willingness to receive God's will, and this "allows" God to do what He was always wanting to do -- not because He changed in any way, but because we are "opening the door."

Re: The 'Open View' of God #10823
09/20/04 08:40 PM
09/20/04 08:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lowe:
He is in no way dependent upon our prayers to do these specific things.

If God chooses to limit His actions based on what we do (e.g. pray), this does not limit His power. But if we say that God is in no way dependent on what we pray for in order to do something, as, for example, heal someone, doesn't that imply that praying for the sick is of no value? At least, of no value to the sick person?

How do you understand the statements in James that the effectual prayer of a righteous man accomplishes much? That if we pray for the sick, they will be healed, and their sins forgiven?

Re: The 'Open View' of God #10824
09/21/04 12:30 AM
09/21/04 12:30 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Praying for the healing of the sick, or for the salvation of souls, is right and good, no matter what the outcome. There is no gaurantee a sick person will be healed, or a soul saved, simply because we pray for them. That's not what James meant to imply. Whether they are healed or saved is not dependent upon our prayers. That doesn't mean we shouldn't pray. Of course not.

Prayer changes us, not God. He will not do anything, even if we pray for it, that will cause a soul to be lost. Jesus is too wise, and too loving, to do something wrong. God's hands are not tied until we pray. He has the right and authority to do whatever it takes to woo souls, and to win the great controversy.

Re: The 'Open View' of God #10825
09/21/04 05:12 AM
09/21/04 05:12 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lowe:
Praying for the healing of the sick, or for the salvation of souls, is right and good, no matter what the outcome. There is no gaurantee a sick person will be healed, or a soul saved, simply because we pray for them. That's not what James meant to imply. Whether they are healed or saved is not dependent upon our prayers. That doesn't mean we shouldn't pray. Of course not.

Prayer changes us, not God. He will not do anything, even if we pray for it, that will cause a soul to be lost. Jesus is too wise, and too loving, to do something wrong. God's hands are not tied until we pray. He has the right and authority to do whatever it takes to woo souls, and to win the great controversy.

Of course God won't do anything to cause souls to be lost! Noone is saying that. People cause themselves to be lost by rejecting the love of God shining from the cross. That God can save anyone is an amazing testament to His love and patience. Romans 3:10-18 describes all of us.

I agree that prayer changes us, not God, in terms of character, which is the context of the comment. This comment does not imply that prayer does not change God's actions, and indeed could not mean that because of comments elsewhere that God does things He otherwise would not have done because of our prayers.

It appears to me that you think that James is suggesting that we pray for the sick not because God will heal them due to our prayers but because our prayers for the sick change us. Am I understanding your position correctly?

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!