HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,614
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 18
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 57 of 71 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 70 71
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #107642
01/18/09 05:24 PM
01/18/09 05:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. The son knew his father's will very well and chose to hunt anyhow. This does not depict the Jews. They had no idea what to do in the cases of the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer so they asked Moses to inquire of God. Why didn't God take the opportunity to explain His will? Or, did He?

2. You are welcome.

3. Are you saying it was not God's will and purpose for Jesus to die the way He did? And, are you implying He wanted the others to die of natural causes instead?

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #107650
01/18/09 07:48 PM
01/18/09 07:48 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1.The purpose of the father/hunter analogy is to illustrate how the counsel of someone taken out of context can give a false impression. In the case of the hunter, the false impression is that the father approves of hunting. In the case of God, the false impression is that God approves of killing.

In Christ we see what God's true views are, detached from the constraints the COI imposed. We see how Christ acted when given the opportunity to stone one guilty of breaking the law of Moses. Your insinuation that Christ did not stone the woman because the Israelites were under Roman rule has a hollow ring.

Quote:
In His act of pardoning this woman and encouraging her to live a better life, the character of Jesus shines forth in the beauty of perfect righteousness. While He does not palliate sin, nor lessen the sense of guilt, He seeks not to condemn, but to save. The world had for this erring woman only contempt and scorn; but Jesus speaks words of comfort and hope. The Sinless One pities the weakness of the sinner, and reaches to her a helping hand. While the hypocritical Pharisees denounce, Jesus bids her, "Go, and sin no more." (DA 462; emphasis mine)

On another occasion, Christ was urged to destroy, and He responded in a similar manner:

Quote:
54And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?

55But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.

56For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village. (Luke 9)

When we see God revealing His character unshackled as the father in the hunter story was, we see Him consistently acting and counseling in a non-violent way. Christ never suggested using force or killing someone as the way to solve a problem.

3.I originally spoke in terms of Peter and other disciple's deaths. I said that it was not God's will and purpose that they die, but that evil being inspired and caused their death. God would rather that they repent. The case of of Jesus is more involved, since our redemption is involved, although similar principles apply. If you wish to pursue this further, that's fine, but please separate questions regarding Jesus' death from those involving Peter or other disciples.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #107663
01/19/09 01:38 PM
01/19/09 01:38 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: kland
We're not talking about specific instances any more than all specific instances need be explicitly detailed in order to apply similar instances to His character. If Jesus was to represent His character, why do you see the apparent contradiction (contradiction based upon your responses)?

I don't see how we can talk about it without naming and comparing specific instances. Either Jesus demonstrated every aspect of God's kingdom and character there is to know or He didn't. What do you believe? Did He or didn't He? I believe it is obvious He didn't.

I guess it would follow since you apply only a specific application to the following although I don't know under what specific conditions:
God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. (GC 35-37)

I know some evolutionists who reject the Bible because they don't know who Cain married. Since the Bible doesn't specifically say Adam and Eve had other children near Cain's age, it didn't happen. Even though a man an woman lived almost a thousand years, since the Bible doesn't specifically say they had sex more than at most three times (if even then), then it didn't happen.

Perhaps you could do a search in Ellen White's writings for the phrase, "general principles". Here's one to get you started:
Quote:
4T pg. 323: The word of God abounds in general principles for the formation of correct habits of living, and the testimonies, general and personal, have been calculated to call their attention more especially to these principles;

Re: The Covenants [Re: kland] #107705
01/20/09 08:00 PM
01/20/09 08:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
When we see God revealing His character unshackled as the father in the hunter story was, we see Him consistently acting and counseling in a non-violent way. Christ never suggested using force or killing someone as the way to solve a problem.

This doesn't answer my question why God commanded Moses to kill the sinners.

Quote:
T: I originally spoke in terms of Peter and other disciple's deaths. I said that it was not God's will and purpose that they die, but that evil being inspired and caused their death. God would rather that they repent.

But the apostles named above did die. Are you saying God's will and purpose was not served in the way they died? If so, did His enemies exceed His limits? If not, how did God intend for them to die? Did God intervene and ensure they died in a way He was willing to permit? Or, did they die in a way differently than He was willing to permit?

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #107706
01/20/09 08:04 PM
01/20/09 08:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - I'll be away on assignment until 5 Feb.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #107709
01/20/09 08:48 PM
01/20/09 08:48 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:When we see God revealing His character unshackled as the father in the hunter story was, we see Him consistently acting and counseling in a non-violent way. Christ never suggested using force or killing someone as the way to solve a problem.

M:This doesn't answer my question why God commanded Moses to kill the sinners.

I think it does. Let's get a third opinion. kland, what do you think?

Quote:
But the apostles named above did die. Are you saying God's will and purpose was not served in the way they died?

If you're talking about the fact that they died, no, it wasn't God's will that those who heard them preached kill them. His will was that they respond to their preaching and repent.

Quote:
If so, did His enemies exceed His limits?

You're asking if those who killed Peter and the others did something which God did not permit? This looks to be what you're asking, but this is clearly a pointless question. Or did I misunderstand your question?

Quote:
If not, how did God intend for them to die?

Of old age, peacefully.

Quote:
Did God intervene and ensure they died in a way He was willing to permit?

No.

Quote:
Or, did they die in a way differently than He was willing to permit?

You're asking if they died in some different way than they died? I don't understand this question.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #107712
01/20/09 10:56 PM
01/20/09 10:56 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
T:When we see God revealing His character unshackled as the father in the hunter story was, we see Him consistently acting and counseling in a non-violent way. Christ never suggested using force or killing someone as the way to solve a problem.

I think it does. Let's get a third opinion. kland, what do you think?

Well, that's what I've been saying and also have been saying that you've been saying. Which is exactly what MM has been rejecting as having never been explained. And some of my first comments addressed the concept which were also rejected.

But, I think MM is wanting something more specific. Perhaps something from Ellen White along the lines of:
Mountain Man, this is for you. The general principle of the hunter story fits with God/Jesus.

Maybe.

But then, maybe it wouldn't answer it for him. I can hardly wait for his answer to my above comment. It seems he previously responded that the location of Jesus determines His character. Then in the punish thread, his last comments appeared more definitely to support that viewpoint. It is interesting he used the phrase, "every aspect", but does seem to imply "every instance".

MM, I await your reply when you get back. What differences do you see between aspect and instance or general principle and specific instance?

Re: The Covenants [Re: kland] #107716
01/21/09 02:14 AM
01/21/09 02:14 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I'm going to piggy back on this a bit. I'm going to repeat something I've brought up a number of times, but I don't I've done so since kland has been here. It has to do with two approaches when can be taken to understanding the Scripture texts where God does "bad" things. By "bad" I mean things we wouldn't ordinarily associate with God, given how Jesus Christ revealed Him to be, such as violent, destructive, killing things.

One approach is to consider every incident on a case by case basis. The other approach is to look for general principles which can be applied to any case.

Consider, for example, God's sending fiery serpents upon the Israelites. From the SOP, we learn that the serpents had always been there, but God withdrew His protection. How would we understand this incident apart from the SOP? If we use a case by case approach, we would understand the incident incorrectly, since it says God sent these creatures upon the Israelites. Using a general principle approach, we would get it right, even without the SOP.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #107914
02/06/09 05:13 PM
02/06/09 05:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, I didn't see where you addressed the following question:

Either Jesus (while here) demonstrated every aspect of God's kingdom and character there is to know or He didn't. What do you believe? Did He or didn't He?

Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #107915
02/06/09 05:25 PM
02/06/09 05:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

T: I think it does. Let's get a third opinion. kland, what do you think?

In what way was God shackled when He commanded Moses to kill those two guys? Was Jesus ever shackled in this way when He was here, that is, did He ever command anyone to kill a sinner?

Quote:
M: But the apostles named above did die. Are you saying God's will and purpose was not served in the way they died?

T: If you're talking about the fact that they died, no, it wasn't God's will that those who heard them preached kill them. His will was that they respond to their preaching and repent.

So, yes, you are saying God's will and purpose was not served in the way they died. Why, then, did they die in the way they did? Did Satan or sinners pass the boundaries established by God? Did they do something prohibited by God? Or, did God allow them to die in the way they did, that is, He did not intervene because it was within His established limits?

Page 57 of 71 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 70 71

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!