HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,165 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 36 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 35 36
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #107675
01/19/09 08:36 PM
01/19/09 08:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I am amazed you think it does. Nowhere does it say so. It merely describes Him suffering. You are mistaken if you think it describes why Jesus had to die.

Perhaps. Perhaps your mistaken in not seeing something that many others have seen. Peter, to name one.

Quote:
I'm getting the impression you do not want to take the time to prove that Waggoner explains RBF or the NC/OC "more clearly" than did Ellen.

The proof is in her own comment. If you don't believe what she said about it, how could I possibly prove it?

Quote:
Fine. Suit yourself. But I'm not the only one who disagrees with you. It would serve you well to take the time to substantiate you claims. Simply saying it is so, or quoting the SOP as saying so, does not cut it any more. Please lay their quotes side-by-side and prove that he explains it "more clearly" than she does. That should settle it once and for all. But if you don't think you can do it, then please stop insisting it is so.

MM, I've laid out a course of action which I think would be helpful for you if you followed it. I've explained why I don't think your suggestion would work. You have a bias. You need to take a course of action which would allow for the bias to be corrected. This is, of course, simply my opinion, but given it is my opinion, I have suggested a way of proceeding which would have a chance of doing that.

It's not a question of my not being able to do what you have requested, but of my not believing it would serve a useful purpose. I have outlined what I believe might help, if you followed the suggestion.

Quote:
I agree with both of my statements above. Sinners are lost until they embrace Jesus and abide in Him.

I didn't ask this. I asked the following:

Quote:
T:Before going on to a new question, how about some closure on the previous one. Do you agree that this statement

"The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. (DA 176)"

T:says that if one does not resist one will be saved?

You responded:

Quote:
M:Yes, sinners would be saved if they responded to the loving entreaties of God.

Since this was a rejection of your previous statement, I asked for confirmation on this:

Quote:
To be clear, you are disagreeing with what you said previously? Namely, this:

M:I do not agree sinners must resist Jesus’ love to be lost.

You didn't respond to my question. Are you disagreeing with your previous statement that sinners must resist Jesus' love to be lost? I'm asking this because you said "yes" in answer to my question if you agreed that the statement I quoted taught that sinners must resist in order to be lost.

Quote:
Please elaborate on what you mean by - "I don't think that sinners are either lost nor saved by default." If they are neither lost nor saved what are they? Are they lost because they have sinned? "All have sinned." Who does this exclude? Does it mean, Not all have sinned.

People enter the world as infants, without the ability to reason. Before the age of accountability, their being saved or lost depends upon a range of factors, including things beyond their control (such as the spiritual condition of their parents). So they are neither saved nor lost by default.

The SOP says:

Quote:
None will ever come to Christ, save those who respond to the drawing of the Father's love. But God is drawing all hearts unto Him, and only those who resist His drawing will refuse to come to Christ.(DA 387)

This tells us no one can be lost unless they resist the drawing love of God.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #107702
01/20/09 07:15 PM
01/20/09 07:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
I am amazed you think it does. Nowhere does it say so. It merely describes Him suffering. You are mistaken if you think it describes why Jesus had to die.

Perhaps. Perhaps your mistaken in not seeing something that many others have seen. Peter, to name one.

Please point out the verses that you feel describe why Jesus had to die, and then explain how you think they do it.

Quote:
M: I'm getting the impression you do not want to take the time to prove that Waggoner explains RBF or the NC/OC "more clearly" than did Ellen.

T: The proof is in her own comment. If you don't believe what she said about it, how could I possibly prove it?

You're right, I do not believe Ellen's comment applies to everything she wrote about it. It reflected her opinion at the time. I think she was being humble or modest. Taken as a whole her insights regarding RBF and the NC/OC are equally as clear as Elliot's explanations. Your unwillingness to place their insights side-by-side suggests you cannot prove your assertion that his insights are "more clearly" explained.

Quote:
M: Fine. Suit yourself. But I'm not the only one who disagrees with you. It would serve you well to take the time to substantiate you claims. Simply saying it is so, or quoting the SOP as saying so, does not cut it any more. Please lay their quotes side-by-side and prove that he explains it "more clearly" than she does. That should settle it once and for all. But if you don't think you can do it, then please stop insisting it is so.

T: MM, I've laid out a course of action which I think would be helpful for you if you followed it. I've explained why I don't think your suggestion would work. You have a bias. You need to take a course of action which would allow for the bias to be corrected. This is, of course, simply my opinion, but given it is my opinion, I have suggested a way of proceeding which would have a chance of doing that.

It's not a question of my not being able to do what you have requested, but of my not believing it would serve a useful purpose. I have outlined what I believe might help, if you followed the suggestion.

You are dodging the point. Either you don't want to spend the time or you know you can't prove your assertion. I have read and compared their insights on RBF and the NC/OC and I know he does not explain them "more clearly". I don't have a burden for people to believe otherwise.

Quote:
M: I agree with both of my statements above. Sinners are lost until they embrace Jesus and abide in Him.

T: I didn't ask this. I asked the following: Before going on to a new question, how about some closure on the previous one. Do you agree that this statement . . .

"The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. (DA 176)"

. . . says that if one does not resist one will be saved?

You responded: Yes, sinners would be saved if they responded to the loving entreaties of God. Since this was a rejection of your previous statement, I asked for confirmation on this: To be clear, you are disagreeing with what you said previously? Namely, this: I do not agree sinners must resist Jesus’ love to be lost.

You didn't respond to my question. Are you disagreeing with your previous statement that sinners must resist Jesus' love to be lost? I'm asking this because you said "yes" in answer to my question if you agreed that the statement I quoted taught that sinners must resist in order to be lost.

I'm not sure how to answer your question. Let me simply state what I believe. Sinners are lost until they embrace Jesus and abide in Him. Sinners must also resist Jesus' love to remain lost. If do not resist His love they will embrace Jesus be saved.

Quote:
M: Please elaborate on what you mean by - "I don't think that sinners are either lost nor saved by default." If they are neither lost nor saved what are they? Are they lost because they have sinned? "All have sinned." Who does this exclude? Does it mean, Not all have sinned.

T: People enter the world as infants, without the ability to reason. Before the age of accountability, their being saved or lost depends upon a range of factors, including things beyond their control (such as the spiritual condition of their parents). So they are neither saved nor lost by default. The SOP says:

Quote:
None will ever come to Christ, save those who respond to the drawing of the Father's love. But God is drawing all hearts unto Him, and only those who resist His drawing will refuse to come to Christ.(DA 387)

This tells us no one can be lost unless they resist the drawing love of God.

Are you saying some infants are lost and some are saved? Also, does "all have sinned" apply to infants? If not, why not?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #107703
01/20/09 07:18 PM
01/20/09 07:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Please show me where Moses explained why Jesus had to become a man and die on the cross. Genesis 3:15 does not explain why. Also, show me where Moses explained why the animal sacrifices symbolize the death of the Son of God.

T: I don't understand why you're requesting these things. What's your point?

Please?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #107710
01/20/09 09:34 PM
01/20/09 09:34 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Please point out the verses that you feel describe why Jesus had to die, and then explain how you think they do it.

I already posted the verses. Peter writes:

Quote:
21For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

22Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:

23Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:

24Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

25For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.(1 Pet. 2:22-25)

so this may help.

Quote:
You're right, I do not believe Ellen's comment applies to everything she wrote about it. It reflected her opinion at the time. I think she was being humble or modest. Taken as a whole her insights regarding RBF and the NC/OC are equally as clear as Elliot's explanations.

She was certainly a humble lady, but no, that wasn't her motivation in saying this. She explained that Waggoner had been given special light on the subject. Each one of us has our place in the body of Christ. She was fulfilling her role while Waggoner fulfilled his.

Quote:
Your unwillingness to place their insights side-by-side suggests you cannot prove your assertion that his insights are "more clearly" explained.

Here's something Jesus said when given a similar request:

Quote:
20And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

21And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

22And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

25But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

26And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

27Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

28For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

29Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

30And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

31And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead. (Luke 16)

If you choose not to believe Ellen White's own words on the matter, there's certainly nothing I could do to persuade you. I think you should consider reevaluating where the unwillingness is lying here.

Quote:
T: MM, I've laid out a course of action which I think would be helpful for you if you followed it. I've explained why I don't think your suggestion would work. You have a bias. You need to take a course of action which would allow for the bias to be corrected. This is, of course, simply my opinion, but given it is my opinion, I have suggested a way of proceeding which would have a chance of doing that.

M:You are dodging the point. Either you don't want to spend the time or you know you can't prove your assertion. I have read and compared their insights on RBF and the NC/OC and I know he does not explain them "more clearly". I don't have a burden for people to believe otherwise.

Again, MM, if you choose not to believe her words, there's nothing I could do to persuade you. The same principle applies as to what Christ said above. The best evidence on this question is what Ellen White said. If the best evidence is rejected, lesser evidence would be rejected as well, as Christ's parable points out.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #107925
02/06/09 06:49 PM
02/06/09 06:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, 1 Peter 2 commands Christians to patiently endure persecution like Jesus did. We are commanded to imitate Jesus' righteous example. But it doesn't explain why Jesus had to die. Verse 24 implies believers are dead to sin and awake to righteousness, they are healed by His stripes, therefore, they have the mind of Jesus, they are expected to be like Him.

Quote:
2:19 For this [is] thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully.
2:20 For what glory [is it], if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer [for it], ye take it patiently, this [is] acceptable with God.
2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
2:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
2:23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed [himself] to him that judgeth righteously:
2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
2:25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

1 John 3 explains what Jesus accomplished while here. Listen:

3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #107926
02/06/09 06:56 PM
02/06/09 06:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I am truly amazed you are unwilling to post passages that prove Waggoner explained certain truths "more clearly" than did Ellen. I realize she, at least at one point, felt Waggoner could explain some things more clearly than she could, but where is the proof? Please post an example of something he explained more clearly than she did.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #107927
02/06/09 06:57 PM
02/06/09 06:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Please show me where Moses explained why Jesus had to become a man and die on the cross. Genesis 3:15 does not explain why. Also, show me where Moses explained why the animal sacrifices symbolize the death of the Son of God.

T: I don't understand why you're requesting these things. What's your point?

Please?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #107933
02/06/09 08:07 PM
02/06/09 08:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding 1 Peter 2, and 1 Peter 3, Peter says Christ died to bring us to God.

Regarding your amazement regarding Waggoner's teaching rbf more clearly than EGW, this is something EGW herself said. If you don't believe her, why would you believe me? I think your amazement her is misplaced.

Regarding your question regarding Moses, I don't understand your point. If you will explain your point, I may be better able to address your question. Apparently, you're not even seeing how Peter explained the purpose for Christ's death, when he flat out said what it was. What Moses wrote would of necessity, being before the fact rather than after, would involve more to understand. Perhaps we could agree on what Peter said, and, assuming we can agree on this, move on from there.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #107936
02/06/09 09:38 PM
02/06/09 09:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, since Ellen said Waggoner explained it more clearly you shouldn't have any trouble posting an example. Please do so.

Do you agree with what I wrote about 1 John 3 quoted and highlighted above? I didn't see where you quoted from 1 Peter 3. I saw where you quoted from 1 Peter 2:22-25 but this passage simply says Christians should endure persecution patiently because Jesus did.

Regarding Moses I am simply asking you to post a quote where he explains why Jesus had to die or a quote that says the animal sacrifices symbolize the death of Jesus. There is no point. Just a request for quotes.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #107998
02/08/09 03:19 AM
02/08/09 03:19 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, since Ellen said Waggoner explained it more clearly you shouldn't have any trouble posting an example. Please do so.

Since she didn't do so, I see no reason why I should. She referred people over and over to the messages which God was sending through Jones and Waggoner, and I choose to do the same as she. She said there was great light in their messages, light which we would not have had without them (Jones and Waggoner), unless God sent someone else to bring that same light, and pointed people to that light.

Quote:
Do you agree with what I wrote about 1 John 3 quoted and highlighted above?

You didn't really write anything, did you? You just quoted it, right? I don't see anything to agree/disagree with other than what John wrote.

Quote:
I didn't see where you quoted from 1 Peter 3.

Peter express a similar thought in chapter 3 to what he said in 1 Pet. 2:24, 25.

Quote:
For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God

Christ died "that He might bring us to God."

Quote:
I saw where you quoted from 1 Peter 2:22-25 but this passage simply says Christians should endure persecution patiently because Jesus did.

I think I just quoted the last two verses, the main point being "For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls."

Quote:
Regarding Moses I am simply asking you to post a quote where he explains why Jesus had to die or a quote that says the animal sacrifices symbolize the death of Jesus. There is no point. Just a request for quotes.

I don't understand this. A request like this should flow from the conversation in some way.

Page 24 of 36 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!