HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 26 of 100 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #108392
02/15/09 05:18 PM
02/15/09 05:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Tom, the reason God is portrayed as doing things He allows is for the very reason He, God Himself, is the very one who allowed it to happen in the manner in which it happened. It is no accident that things happen the way they do. I would agree with you that God had nothing to do with it accept for the obvious fact He is intimately involved in ensuring it plays out in precisely the way He is willing to allow, which means He is working hard to prevent it from playing out differently than He is willing to allow. There is nothing passive about God's involvement in the things He allows others to do.

I agree with you, though, that there are times when God doesn't directly cause things to happen Himself, that instead He merely allows others to cause it to happen. But just because He isn't involved in making it happen it doesn't mean He isn't intimately involved in making sure things do not go beyond what He is willing to allow. In this sense, in those types of cases, God is very involved, and His involvement explains why the Bible portrays Him as doing the things He allows others to do. The fact He is the one who is allowing them to do it, all the while making sure they stay within His established limits, demonstrates that God is the one who is in control of what is happening and that He is the one who is in control of the outcome.

Originally Posted By: Tom
MM, are you saying that everything which happens is because that's what God wants? So when a child is abused, that's because God wanted this to happen? Or the holocaust is something God wanted to happen, since He didn't prevent it? When you say that "it is no accident that things happen the way they do," is this what you have in mind?

Tom, I addressed these kinds of questions in my comments above. Here is what I wrote about it:

"I would agree with you that God had nothing to do with it accept for the obvious fact He is intimately involved in ensuring it plays out in precisely the way He is willing to allow, which means He is working hard to prevent it from playing out differently than He is willing to allow."

"I agree with you, though, that there are times when God doesn't directly cause things to happen Himself, that instead He merely allows others to cause it to happen. But just because He isn't involved in making it happen it doesn't mean He isn't intimately involved in making sure things do not go beyond what He is willing to allow."

What is it about these insights that make you wonder if I think God "wants" the kind of things you named above to happen?

What do you think motivates God to allow the kinds of things you named above to happen? Why doesn't He work to prevent them from happening? Isn't it possible to prevent evil men and angels from hurting good and innocent people without violating their rights and freedoms?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #108417
02/15/09 09:08 PM
02/15/09 09:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The outcome is the same, namely, sinners suffers and die. However, the reason why God sometimes causes death and destruction Himself versus why He sometimes allows Satan to do it vary from case to case. Ultimately, though, whether God causes it or whether He allows Satan to cause it, the most important thing for us to understand is the beautiful fact God is the who is in control of what happens and that He is the one who is in control of the outcome.

The most important thing to you is that God is in charge. The most important thing to me is His character.

You see that God does different things, depending on the case, sometimes acting in a way that's indistinguishable from someone evil, and sometimes not. You don't see that actions performed make any difference, but only who is performing these actions.

Quote:
What I'm saying above is that when the opinions of ill informed sinners differ from what God knows to be true then what matters is what God believes and not what ill informed sinners think about it. We need to view things from God's perspective and wholeheartedly reject what ill informed sinners believe about it. Now, if you can acknowledge this point, I would be willing to switch lanes and discuss your point.

Here's what was said before:

Quote:
M: We need to view things as God’s sees them, not as ill informed sinners see them. God has never done anything that He considers violent or forceful.

T: The way you perceive God to have acted, most people would consider violent. The way God actually acted, however, is not violent. That is, I don't think God has done the violent/forceful things you think he has ("violent/forceful" hear meaning violent/forceful in the eyes of most people).

To this you reacted that what uninformed sinners believe doesn't matter, only what God believes. I disagree with this idea. As to your point that if God thinks of something differently than someone else, such as an "uninformed sinner," we should agree with God, I agree, but not for the reason I think you would cite. I think you would say we should agree with God because He's God, as opposed to an uninformed sinner. I would say we should agree with God because what God says is the truth. Iow, the important thing is the truth itself, not who's speaking.

Quote:
No law that I know of would fault God for preventing evil men and angels from hurting good and innocent people. Nor would a jury find Him guilty of infringing upon the rights and freedoms of evil men and angels for intervening and protecting the innocent. Indeed, they would count Him guilty of a grievous crime if He stood by did nothing when it was within His power and ability to prevent it.

No one I know believes it is within the rights and freedoms of evil men and angels to wantonly hurt good and innocent people. For example, when a Good Samaritan intervenes and prevents a rape or a child abduction or a murder, they are hailed as a hero, rather than condemned as a lawbreaker. But if they stand by and do nothing, when it was well within their ability to prevent it, they are counted guilty of a terrible injustice and their name is mud and they are forever ostracized by society.

I've suggested that God doesn't intervene because of issues of freedom and the Great Controversy. What reason do you give? Surely you don't find fault with God's non-intervention. Do you see some reason for God's non-intervention other than what I suggested?

Quote:
Again, they were made out of things that already existed, thus, you have yet to demonstrate that Jesus revealed the type of creative power God displayed "in the beginning". This is just one of many things about God that Jesus did not reveal while here in the flesh.

I never claimed that Jesus revealed everything that could possibly happen while here in the flesh. I've said that Christ revealed all that could be know of God while here in the flesh. I've explained that this has to do with His character.

In terms of Christ's having the power to make something out of nothing, in addition to the miracles of turning water into wine, and the loaves and the fishes, there are also the healing miracles. How did Christ instantly heal lepers, if not through the power of God's word? Perhaps the best examples of God's power to create are whenever someone was converted. No one is born again except by the power of God's word. There is also the resurrection, which is yet another demonstration of God's creative power.

Quote:
Your "answer" does not answer my question, that's been the problem with your "answer" all along. You've deleted the questions related to this question, so, do you even remember what my questions are? Answering my questions by saying, "Obviously these things did not happen the way you are perceiving for the simple reason Jesus did not do such things while here in the flesh," is actually avoiding answering my question. Saying it didn't happen doesn't explain why the Bible describes it as happening in great detail and crystal clarity.

I've been trying to explain that you're asking the wrong question, IMO! This has been my whole point. To answer your question, along the lines you've asked, is to give credence to your approach. I'm trying to communicate that I disagree with your approach.

There's more than a thousand similar events. The OT is filled with violence. I've explained many of these events, and each time you just come up with another one. That's not going to lead anywhere. I've tried to communicate principles which can be used to analyze any case.

Your idea is that God acts differently on a case by case basis. My idea is that He always acts consistently with His character, as revealed by Jesus Christ. So when Scripture says that God sent fiery serpents upon the Israelites, I know there's an explanation which fits with what Jesus Christ revealed. Similarly with any other incidents. God always acts like Jesus Christ did, without exception. How exactly God does this is not so important as the conviction that God does do this.

Again, that you think it's possible (indeed, certain, from your point of view) that God could act differently than Jesus Christ is the crux of our disagreement.

Quote:
M:Please cite examples of things Jesus couldn’t share with His disciples while He was here in the flesh.

T:Where is there a record of these things?

M:You brought it up, so you tell me.

T: I didn't bring it up. You brought it up as "proof" that Jesus Christ did not reveal all that man can know of God.

M:It is proof you are arguing isn't proof. You keep saying Jesus shared everything there is to know about God while He was here in the flesh, whereas, Jesus Himself said very clearly there were things He was unable to share, things that the Holy Spirit would share with them after Jesus returned to heaven. This is convincing proof that Jesus did not share everything there is to know about God while He was here in the flesh. You seem to think otherwise.

The SOP tells us that all that man can know of God was revealed by the life and character of His Son. Yes, I believe this is true! You've been trying to disprove this by two methods.

1.You ask where Jesus Christ revealed certain things, mostly violent actions.
2.You point out there were things which Jesus Christ said that the disciples could not bear.

I don't think these arguments are convincing. I believe Jesus Christ was a full and complete revelation of the Father. When we've seen Jesus Christ, we've seen the Father. In fact, we can *only* know the Father through Jesus Christ.

Quote:
Are you agreeing with me, then, that Jesus did not reveal everything there is to know about God while He was here in the flesh,[/quote

No, I agree with Sister White on this question.

[quote]that there were some things about God that He explained rather than demonstrated, and that such explanations are as good as Him revealing it?

Explanation is a subset of revelation, so I don't accept this as a valid dichotomy. Iow, when the SOP says that Christ revealed all man can know about God, this includes everything Christ said as well as what He did.

Quote:
T: You write, "The proof is in the fact it never happened." It should be evident that this isn't proof at all. I could just as well argue, "Jesus Christ could not have gone to Mars, because if He had done so, he would have been consumed." and if you asked for proof, I could say, "Well, it never happened." This is no argument at all. There are trillions of things which have never happened. Are you going to adduce as proof that each of these things could not have happened because they didn't?

M:Jesus could not have gone to Mars in sinful flesh because sinful flesh cannot survive in such an environment. This is proof He never visited Mars while He was here in the flesh.

The point is simply that your statement that the fact that Jesus Christ never appeared in the Father's presence while here in the flesh is proof that His sinful flesh would have incinerated is fallacious. This is no proof at all. Whether or not Jesus Christ could have gone to Mars is irrelevant, which I can't believe you don't realize. This is simply an example to point out the invalidity of your argument. It's not a valid argument that a think could not exist because it didn't.

Quote:
Also, I couldn't help noticing that you avoided the other point I made

Instead of "avoided" a much better choice of words would be "missed." You've "avoided" far more points than I've raised than I have you, but I've never labeled your "avoiding" as such; I simply reask my question.

Quote:
, namely, “To sin, wherever found, ‘our God is a consuming fire.’” Jesus was “made to be sin; He bare our sins in his own body”, therefore, He could not appear in the unveiled presence of God without being consumed by the firelight of His glory and brightness. That "glory" is often associated with light is evident in the following passage:

There is nothing to suggest this "therefore." Even if we accept as true that because Jesus Christ was made to be sin, that He could not have appeared in the unveiled presence of God, it doesn't follow that the reason this should be so is because He would "be consumed by the firelight of His glory and brightness." Where is there any evidence that this is a physical issue?

If we look at the actual DA statement, we see she says the same thing which gives life to the righteous slays the wicked, so this cannot be a primarily physical issue. Also the very next sentence says that Jesus Christ came to reveal the character of God, which explains that the "light of the glory of God" means "revelation of God's character" rather than "firelight."

The glory of the stars, sun, and moon is their testimony to their Creator.

Quote:
M:Earlier you wrote, “God destroys . . . by allowing sin/Satan to have its destructive consequences”. Your explanation above does not harmonize with how this principle played out in the Flood. Please describe how you see "sin-Satan" having its-his "destructive consequences" play out in the Flood, especially in light of your comment, "I'm not convinced that Satan was involved in this directly."

I explained this in the comments about the water being under pressure. Previously I explained this in great detail, including links to Creationist sites as well as SOP and Scripture statements.

Quote:

M:Fine, but don't leave it at that, at least address the point.

You didn't make a point.

Quote:
Actually, since I'm the one who is interested in how your comment plays out in the passage I posted above (which you omitted here), it seems reasonable for you to at least humor my request.

You omitted it too, so I can't respond to it without going back. I having some connection problems, so can't do that right now.

Quote:
T: A big difference in our paradigms is that you perceive God as doing these things, whereas I don't. I don't see these bad things that happen as proceeding in any way from God. These are things contrary to His will, that would never happen if His creatures acted in accordance with His will.

It's not a matter that God is involving Satan in processes or not involving him, but God withdraws His protection, and something Satan is directly involved and sometimes he isn't.

M:Are you suggesting God never withdraws His protection and permits the forces of nature to kill sinners?

I don't follow this. Please explain yourself.

Quote:
And, are you suggesting God never withdraws His protection and allows Satan to manipulate the forces of nature to kill sinners (within His established and enforced limits)?

Same comment. I'm not following you. Please explain yourself.

Quote:
Also, what is the difference, so far as the dynamics of science are concerned, in 1) how and 2) why the forces of nature kill sinners under the two different paradigms named above?

The difference is that under one paradigm, destruction occurs when God ceases to do something He was doing, or doesn't prevent some destructive thing from occurring, whereas in the other paradigm, God Himself does the destructive thing.

Quote:
M: What purpose does it serve when God withdraws His protection and allows Satan to kill sinners?

T: It serves the purpose of revealing Satan's kingdom and character, as well as the consequences of rejecting God and His protection.

M:How does this purpose differ under the other paradigm, that is, when God withdraws His protection and allows the forces of nature to kill sinners (assuming you believe this a valid paradigm)?

I don't know what you're asking here.

Quote:
Also, please explain why you think it is necessary for God to allow Satan to kill sinners. Is it necessary for Satan to be allowed to kill sinners and saints in order for God to win the GC?

It's necessary for Satan to be given the opportunity to make his case. This is the only way the principles of God and Satan, and the principles of their respective governments, can be made known.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108418
02/15/09 10:10 PM
02/15/09 10:10 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, I addressed these kinds of questions in my comments above. Here is what I wrote about it:

"I would agree with you that God had nothing to do with it accept for the obvious fact He is intimately involved in ensuring it plays out in precisely the way He is willing to allow, which means He is working hard to prevent it from playing out differently than He is willing to allow." ...

What is it about these insights that make you wonder if I think God "wants" the kind of things you named above to happen?

What you wrote indicates this. You say that God ensures things play out in a certain way, that He works hard to prevent things from working otherwise. Therefore He works to ensure the child is abused, to ensure the holocaust takes place. Is this really what you mean to say?

Quote:
What do you think motivates God to allow the kinds of things you named above to happen? Why doesn't He work to prevent them from happening?

I've answered this several times, MM. I don't understand why you're still asking me this.

Quote:
Isn't it possible to prevent evil men and angels from hurting good and innocent people without violating their rights and freedoms?

Not indiscriminately. If it were, God would do so, don't you think?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108419
02/15/09 10:17 PM
02/15/09 10:17 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1. You wrote, “The fact that two results are the same does not mean the causes are the same.” Please use the following passage to explain what you mean:

Quote:

God causes large quantities of coal and oil to ignite and burn. Rocks are intensely heated, limestone is burned, and iron ore melted. Water and fire under the surface of the earth meet. The action of water upon the limestone adds fury to the intense heat, and causes earthquakes, volcanoes and fiery issues. The action of fire and water upon the ledges of rocks and ore, causes loud explosions which sound like muffled thunder. These wonderful exhibitions will be more numerous and terrible just before the coming of Christ and the end of the world, as signs of its speedy destruction. {3SG 79.1}

Coal and oil are generally to be found where there are no burning mountains or fiery issues. When fire and water under the surface of the earth meet, the fiery issues cannot give sufficient vent to the heated elements beneath. The earth is convulsed--the ground trembles, heaves, and rises into swells or waves, and there are heavy sounds like thunder underground. The air is heated and suffocating. The earth quickly opens, and I saw villages, cities and burning mountains carried down together into the earth. {3SG 80.1}

These are the passages you cited. I'm not sure what you want to know about these. God made the world to act in accordance with certain laws. I think this is what "God caused" means, if that's what you're asking about.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #108461
02/16/09 08:22 PM
02/16/09 08:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: The outcome is the same, namely, sinners suffers and die. However, the reason why God sometimes causes death and destruction Himself versus why He sometimes allows Satan to do it vary from case to case. Ultimately, though, whether God causes it or whether He allows Satan to cause it, the most important thing for us to understand is the beautiful fact God is the who is in control of what happens and that He is the one who is in control of the outcome.

T: The most important thing to you is that God is in charge. The most important thing to me is His character. You see that God does different things, depending on the case, sometimes acting in a way that's indistinguishable from someone evil, and sometimes not. You don't see that actions performed make any difference, but only who is performing these actions.

God sees and knows the difference. That’s what matters to me. This tells me tons about His character and kingdom.

Quote:
M: What I'm saying above is that when the opinions of ill informed sinners differ from what God knows to be true then what matters is what God believes and not what ill informed sinners think about it. We need to view things from God's perspective and wholeheartedly reject what ill informed sinners believe about it. Now, if you can acknowledge this point, I would be willing to switch lanes and discuss your point.

T: Here's what was said before: M: We need to view things as God’s sees them, not as ill informed sinners see them. God has never done anything that He considers violent or forceful. T: The way you perceive God to have acted, most people would consider violent. The way God actually acted, however, is not violent. That is, I don't think God has done the violent/forceful things you think he has ("violent/forceful" hear meaning violent/forceful in the eyes of most people).

To this you reacted that what uninformed sinners believe doesn't matter, only what God believes. I disagree with this idea. As to your point that if God thinks of something differently than someone else, such as an "uninformed sinner," we should agree with God, I agree, but not for the reason I think you would cite. I think you would say we should agree with God because He's God, as opposed to an uninformed sinner. I would say we should agree with God because what God says is the truth. Iow, the important thing is the truth itself, not who's speaking.

Since God does not believe He used force or violence in destroying sinners in a Flood neither do I. God said it, I believe it. I totally disagree with anybody who says otherwise.

Quote:
M: No law that I know of would fault God for preventing evil men and angels from hurting good and innocent people. Nor would a jury find Him guilty of infringing upon the rights and freedoms of evil men and angels for intervening and protecting the innocent. Indeed, they would count Him guilty of a grievous crime if He stood by did nothing when it was within His power and ability to prevent it.

No one I know believes it is within the rights and freedoms of evil men and angels to wantonly hurt good and innocent people. For example, when a Good Samaritan intervenes and prevents a rape or a child abduction or a murder, they are hailed as a hero, rather than condemned as a lawbreaker. But if they stand by and do nothing, when it was well within their ability to prevent it, they are counted guilty of a terrible injustice and their name is mud and they are forever ostracized by society.

T: I've suggested that God doesn't intervene because of issues of freedom and the Great Controversy. What reason do you give? Surely you don't find fault with God's non-intervention. Do you see some reason for God's non-intervention other than what I suggested?

I don’t understand it, especially in light of the following promises:

Quote:
Deuteronomy
28:1 And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe [and] to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the LORD thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth:
28:2 And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God.
28:3 Blessed [shalt] thou [be] in the city, and blessed [shalt] thou [be] in the field.
28:4 Blessed [shall be] the fruit of thy body, and the fruit of thy ground, and the fruit of thy cattle, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep.
28:5 Blessed [shall be] thy basket and thy store.
28:6 Blessed [shalt] thou [be] when thou comest in, and blessed [shalt] thou [be] when thou goest out.
28:7 The LORD shall cause thine enemies that rise up against thee to be smitten before thy face: they shall come out against thee one way, and flee before thee seven ways.
28:8 The LORD shall command the blessing upon thee in thy storehouses, and in all that thou settest thine hand unto; and he shall bless thee in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
28:9 The LORD shall establish thee an holy people unto himself, as he hath sworn unto thee, if thou shalt keep the commandments of the LORD thy God, and walk in his ways.
28:10 And all people of the earth shall see that thou art called by the name of the LORD; and they shall be afraid of thee.
28:11 And the LORD shall make thee plenteous in goods, in the fruit of thy body, and in the fruit of thy cattle, and in the fruit of thy ground, in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers to give thee.
28:12 The LORD shall open unto thee his good treasure, the heaven to give the rain unto thy land in his season, and to bless all the work of thine hand: and thou shalt lend unto many nations, and thou shalt not borrow.
28:13 And the LORD shall make thee the head, and not the tail; and thou shalt be above only, and thou shalt not be beneath; if that thou hearken unto the commandments of the LORD thy God, which I command thee this day, to observe and to do [them]:
28:14 And thou shalt not go aside from any of the words which I command thee this day, [to] the right hand, or [to] the left, to go after other gods to serve them.

In these promises God makes it clear that He will bless them abundantly and that He will not allow their enemies to harm them. If the GC forces God to allow evil men and angels to harm His faithful and obedient people, why, then, did God promise not to allow it?

Quote:
M: Again, they were made out of things that already existed, thus, you have yet to demonstrate that Jesus revealed the type of creative power God displayed "in the beginning". This is just one of many things about God that Jesus did not reveal while here in the flesh.

T: I never claimed that Jesus revealed everything that could possibly happen while here in the flesh. I've said that Christ revealed all that could be know of God while here in the flesh. I've explained that this has to do with His character.

In terms of Christ's having the power to make something out of nothing, in addition to the miracles of turning water into wine, and the loaves and the fishes, there are also the healing miracles. How did Christ instantly heal lepers, if not through the power of God's word? Perhaps the best examples of God's power to create are whenever someone was converted. No one is born again except by the power of God's word. There is also the resurrection, which is yet another demonstration of God's creative power.

You are, of course, entitled to interpret the Bible as you wish, but I do not agree that the things you named above demonstrate how God created everything out of nothing. The things you named involved changes to things that already existed. Satan has the power to make similar changes to existing things. But he doesn’t have the power to make something out of nothing. Neither did Jesus demonstrate this unique, exclusive aspect of God’s character and kingdom. Again, this is just one of many aspects of God that Jesus did reveal while He was here.

Quote:
M: Your "answer" does not answer my question, that's been the problem with your "answer" all along. You've deleted the questions related to this question, so, do you even remember what my questions are? Answering my questions by saying, "Obviously these things did not happen the way you are perceiving for the simple reason Jesus did not do such things while here in the flesh," is actually avoiding answering my question. Saying it didn't happen doesn't explain why the Bible describes it as happening in great detail and crystal clarity.

T: I've been trying to explain that you're asking the wrong question, IMO! This has been my whole point. To answer your question, along the lines you've asked, is to give credence to your approach. I'm trying to communicate that I disagree with your approach.

There's more than a thousand similar events. The OT is filled with violence. I've explained many of these events, and each time you just come up with another one. That's not going to lead anywhere. I've tried to communicate principles which can be used to analyze any case.

Your idea is that God acts differently on a case by case basis. My idea is that He always acts consistently with His character, as revealed by Jesus Christ. So when Scripture says that God sent fiery serpents upon the Israelites, I know there's an explanation which fits with what Jesus Christ revealed. Similarly with any other incidents. God always acts like Jesus Christ did, without exception. How exactly God does this is not so important as the conviction that God does do this.

Again, that you think it's possible (indeed, certain, from your point of view) that God could act differently than Jesus Christ is the crux of our disagreement.

My approach is quite simple, namely: 1. God commanded Moses to kill sinners. 2. Why did He command Moses to kill sinners? You answer this comment and question by saying God acted in harmony with Jesus’ example in the NT. This non-answer leads me to conclude you believe God did not command Moses to kill sinners. Is this what you believe?

Quote:
M:Please cite examples of things Jesus couldn’t share with His disciples while He was here in the flesh.

T:Where is there a record of these things?

M:You brought it up, so you tell me.

T: I didn't bring it up. You brought it up as "proof" that Jesus Christ did not reveal all that man can know of God.

M:It is proof you are arguing isn't proof. You keep saying Jesus shared everything there is to know about God while He was here in the flesh, whereas, Jesus Himself said very clearly there were things He was unable to share, things that the Holy Spirit would share with them after Jesus returned to heaven. This is convincing proof that Jesus did not share everything there is to know about God while He was here in the flesh. You seem to think otherwise.

T: The SOP tells us that all that man can know of God was revealed by the life and character of His Son. Yes, I believe this is true! You've been trying to disprove this by two methods.

1.You ask where Jesus Christ revealed certain things, mostly violent actions.
2.You point out there were things which Jesus Christ said that the disciples could not bear.

I don't think these arguments are convincing. I believe Jesus Christ was a full and complete revelation of the Father. When we've seen Jesus Christ, we've seen the Father. In fact, we can *only* know the Father through Jesus Christ.

I have never attempted to disprove what Ellen wrote about it. I have demonstrated that your interpretation of what she said is incorrect.

Quote:
M: Are you agreeing with me, then, that Jesus did not reveal everything there is to know about God while He was here in the flesh, that there were some things about God that He explained rather than demonstrated, and that such explanations are as good as Him revealing it?

T: No, I agree with Sister White on this question. Explanation is a subset of revelation, so I don't accept this as a valid dichotomy. Iow, when the SOP says that Christ revealed all man can know about God, this includes everything Christ said as well as what He did.

But I see nowhere in His actions or teachings Jesus demonstrating God commanding Moses to kill sinners. You view this fact as evidence God did not command Moses to kill sinners; whereas, I view it as evidence there are aspects of God’s character and kingdom Jesus did not reveal or demonstrate while here in the flesh.

Quote:
T: You write, "The proof is in the fact it never happened." It should be evident that this isn't proof at all. I could just as well argue, "Jesus Christ could not have gone to Mars, because if He had done so, he would have been consumed." and if you asked for proof, I could say, "Well, it never happened." This is no argument at all. There are trillions of things which have never happened. Are you going to adduce as proof that each of these things could not have happened because they didn't?

M: Jesus could not have gone to Mars in sinful flesh because sinful flesh cannot survive in such an environment. This is proof He never visited Mars while He was here in the flesh.

T: The point is simply that your statement that the fact that Jesus Christ never appeared in the Father's presence while here in the flesh is proof that His sinful flesh would have incinerated is fallacious. This is no proof at all. Whether or not Jesus Christ could have gone to Mars is irrelevant, which I can't believe you don't realize. This is simply an example to point out the invalidity of your argument. It's not a valid argument that a think could not exist because it didn't.

Your Mars example doesn’t prove your point, Tom. Instead, it proves my point. Jesus’ sinful flesh would not have allowed Him to visit Mars without a special suit. Why? Because He would have been incinerated. Sinful flesh cannot survive on Mars. It’s too hot. The same is true of sinful flesh and the firelight of God’s glory.

Quote:
M: Also, I couldn't help noticing that you [missed] the other point I made, namely, “To sin, wherever found, ‘our God is a consuming fire.’” Jesus was “made to be sin; He bare our sins in his own body”, therefore, He could not appear in the unveiled presence of God without being consumed by the firelight of His glory and brightness. That "glory" is often associated with light is evident in the following passage:

T: There is nothing to suggest this "therefore." Even if we accept as true that because Jesus Christ was made to be sin, that He could not have appeared in the unveiled presence of God, it doesn't follow that the reason this should be so is because He would "be consumed by the firelight of His glory and brightness." Where is there any evidence that this is a physical issue?

If we look at the actual DA statement, we see she says the same thing which gives life to the righteous slays the wicked, so this cannot be a primarily physical issue. Also the very next sentence says that Jesus Christ came to reveal the character of God, which explains that the "light of the glory of God" means "revelation of God's character" rather than "firelight." The glory of the stars, sun, and moon is their testimony to their Creator.

Moses’ experience on the mount is proof that sinful flesh cannot abide in the firelight of God’s glory and presence without being incinerated. Otherwise, why did God say so? Light can either give life or take it. Whether one lives or dies in the presence of God’s firelight depends on whether they are clothed with sinless flesh or sinful flesh. The same sun that melts wax hardens clay. The following passage demonstrates the point:

But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. . . But wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed. At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. {DA 107.4}

Quote:
M: Earlier you wrote, “God destroys . . . by allowing sin/Satan to have its destructive consequences”. Your explanation above does not harmonize with how this principle played out in the Flood. Please describe how you see "sin-Satan" having its-his "destructive consequences" play out in the Flood, especially in light of your comment, "I'm not convinced that Satan was involved in this directly."

T: I explained this in the comments about the water being under pressure. Previously I explained this in great detail, including links to Creationist sites as well as SOP and Scripture statements.

None of the sites or references you posted refutes the idea that God employed the pent up forces of nature to cause the Flood that killed sinners and destroyed the planet. Even if we see it from your point of view, namely, that God merely allowed these forces to cause death and destruction, He still had to work hard to prevent them from exceeding His predetermined limits. In this sense He was forced to regulate them, which is not significantly different than saying He employed them to cause death and destruction.

Quote:
M: Fine, but don't leave it at that, at least address the point.

T: You didn't make a point.

You deleted it. Please include it so I can readdress it.

Quote:
M: Actually, since I'm the one who is interested in how your comment plays out in the passage I posted above (which you omitted here), it seems reasonable for you to at least humor my request.

T: You omitted it too, so I can't respond to it without going back. I having some connection problems, so can't do that right now.

I included everything you did. When things are working properly please address it. Thank you.

Quote:
M: Also, what is the difference, so far as the dynamics of science are concerned, in 1) how and 2) why the forces of nature kill sinners under the two different paradigms named above?

T: The difference is that under one paradigm, destruction occurs when God ceases to do something He was doing, or doesn't prevent some destructive thing from occurring, whereas in the other paradigm, God Himself does the destructive thing.

The two paradigms I had in mind are 1) God withdrawing His protection and allowing the pent up forces of nature to implode upon itself killing sinners in the process, and 2) God withdrawing His protection and allowing Satan to manipulate the forces of nature to kill sinners. Please answer the original question above with these two paradigms in mind. Thank you.

Also, please compare the following passages and explain how and why they are different:

Quote:
The bowels of the earth were the Lord's arsenal, from which he drew forth the weapons he employed in the destruction of the old world. Waters in the bowels of the earth gushed forth, and united with the waters from Heaven, to accomplish the work of destruction. Since the flood, God has used both water and fire in the earth as his agents to destroy wicked cities. {3SG 82.2}

As I hear of the terrible calamities that from week to week are taking place, I ask myself: What do these things mean? The most awful disasters are following one another in quick succession. How frequently we hear of earthquakes and tornadoes, of destruction by fire and flood, with great loss of life and property! Apparently these calamities are capricious outbreaks of seemingly disorganized, unregulated forces, but in them God's purpose may be read. They are one of the means by which He seeks to arouse men and women to a sense of their danger. {8T 252.1}

Even now [Satan] is at work. In accidents and calamities by sea and by land, in great conflagrations, in fierce tornadoes and terrific hailstorms, in tempests, floods, cyclones, tidal waves, and earthquakes, in every place and in a thousand forms, Satan is exercising his power. He sweeps away the ripening harvest, and famine and distress follow. He imparts to the air a deadly taint, and thousands perish by the pestilence. . . And then the great deceiver will persuade men that those who serve God are causing these evils. (GC 589)

Quote:
M: What purpose does it serve when 1) God withdraws His protection and allows Satan to manipulate the forces of nature kill sinners?

T: It serves the purpose of revealing Satan's kingdom and character, as well as the consequences of rejecting God and His protection.

M: What “purpose” is served under the other paradigm, that is, when 2) God withdraws His protection and allows the forces of nature to kill sinners?

T: I don't know what you're asking here.

I asked about the two different paradigms. You answered my question in relation to the first but not the second. I numbered them for your convenience. I also reworded the post above to make it clearer.

Quote:
M: Also, please explain why you think it is necessary for God to allow Satan to kill sinners. Is it necessary for Satan to be allowed to kill sinners and saints in order for God to win the GC?

T: It's necessary for Satan to be given the opportunity to make his case. This is the only way the principles of God and Satan, and the principles of their respective governments, can be made known.

Again, how does this idea fit in with what God promised in Deut. 28:1-14 (quoted toward the top of this post)?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108462
02/16/09 08:42 PM
02/16/09 08:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Tom, I addressed these kinds of questions in my comments above. Here is what I wrote about it:

"I would agree with you that God had nothing to do with it accept for the obvious fact He is intimately involved in ensuring it plays out in precisely the way He is willing to allow, which means He is working hard to prevent it from playing out differently than He is willing to allow."

T: What you wrote indicates this. You say that God ensures things play out in a certain way, that He works hard to prevent things from working otherwise. Therefore He works to ensure the child is abused, to ensure the holocaust takes place. Is this really what you mean to say?

Your "therefore" above does not follow from what I wrote. Why do you think God allows such terrible things to happen? Why doesn't He prevent such things from happening? Do you agree with me that God works to prevent things from exceeding the limits He has established?

Quote:
M: What do you think motivates God to allow the kinds of things you named above to happen? Why doesn't He work to prevent them from happening?

T: I've answered this several times, MM. I don't understand why you're still asking me this.

Your answer is hardly satisfying, Tom. It makes it sound like you believe God allows these terrible kinds of things to happen to satisfy Satan's need to hurt innocent people.

Quote:
M: Isn't it possible to prevent evil men and angels from hurting good and innocent people without violating their rights and freedoms?

T: Not indiscriminately. If it were, God would do so, don't you think?

God never does something indiscriminately. He is discerning and discriminating in everything He does. The fact He can forcibly prevent evil men and angels from doing things to good and innocent people that would exceed the limits He is willing to allow, without violating their rights and freedoms or acting uncharacteristically, suggests to me there are good reasons why He tolerates the terrible things that happen. Your that God is forced to tolerate such terrible things so that the principles of Satan's government can be plainly seen as evil and wrong is wrong on so many levels.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108463
02/16/09 08:48 PM
02/16/09 08:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. You wrote, “The fact that two results are the same does not mean the causes are the same.” Please use the following passage to explain what you mean:

Quote:

God causes large quantities of coal and oil to ignite and burn. Rocks are intensely heated, limestone is burned, and iron ore melted. Water and fire under the surface of the earth meet. The action of water upon the limestone adds fury to the intense heat, and causes earthquakes, volcanoes and fiery issues. The action of fire and water upon the ledges of rocks and ore, causes loud explosions which sound like muffled thunder. These wonderful exhibitions will be more numerous and terrible just before the coming of Christ and the end of the world, as signs of its speedy destruction. {3SG 79.1}

Coal and oil are generally to be found where there are no burning mountains or fiery issues. When fire and water under the surface of the earth meet, the fiery issues cannot give sufficient vent to the heated elements beneath. The earth is convulsed--the ground trembles, heaves, and rises into swells or waves, and there are heavy sounds like thunder underground. The air is heated and suffocating. The earth quickly opens, and I saw villages, cities and burning mountains carried down together into the earth. {3SG 80.1}

These are the passages you cited. I'm not sure what you want to know about these. God made the world to act in accordance with certain laws. I think this is what "God caused" means, if that's what you're asking about.

But I hear you saying, and correct me if I've misunderstood you, that God simply withdraws His protection and allows these kinds of things to happen, and more often than not, you clarify this position by saying it means God allows Satan to do such things. Whereas, Ellen is clearly saying "God causes" (as opposed to allows) them to happen.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #108473
02/16/09 11:05 PM
02/16/09 11:05 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: The most important thing to you is that God is in charge. The most important thing to me is His character. You see that God does different things, depending on the case, sometimes acting in a way that's indistinguishable from someone evil, and sometimes not. You don't see that actions performed make any difference, but only who is performing these actions.

M:God sees and knows the difference. That’s what matters to me. This tells me tons about His character and kingdom.

It doesn't seem to me this would say anything good about His character or kingdom ("this" being your perception that God doesn't do anything different than someone evil, and that He alone knows the difference).

Quote:
Since God does not believe He used force or violence in destroying sinners in a Flood neither do I. God said it, I believe it. I totally disagree with anybody who says otherwise.

I also disagree, but not only with people who use the words "violence" and "force." I also disagree with those who describe God as acting using force and violence, even if they use other words that "force" or "violence" to do so.

Quote:
T: I've suggested that God doesn't intervene because of issues of freedom and the Great Controversy. What reason do you give? Surely you don't find fault with God's non-intervention. Do you see some reason for God's non-intervention other than what I suggested?

M:I don’t understand it, especially in light of the following promises:

What don't you understand? Regarding Deut. 28, how do you explain Job?

Quote:
You are, of course, entitled to interpret the Bible as you wish, but I do not agree that the things you named above demonstrate how God created everything out of nothing.

They demonstrate creative power, which is what is necessary. Remember we're dealing with God's character.

Quote:
The things you named involved changes to things that already existed. Satan has the power to make similar changes to existing things.

Satan cannot heal. He can only remove symptoms, which he is responsible for in the first place. Also one of the examples I gave was of conversion, which Satan also cannot do. Also conversion involves bringing light out of darkness, something from nothing, as in creation. By the power of God's word, He creates. The calming of the storm would be another example of God's creative power. God speaks, and the thing which He speaks is.

Quote:
But he doesn’t have the power to make something out of nothing. Neither did Jesus demonstrate this unique, exclusive aspect of God’s character and kingdom. Again, this is just one of many aspects of God that Jesus did reveal while He was here.

I suppose you mean that Jesus did not reveal. The SOP says that all that man can know of God was revealed by Jesus Christ. I think she is right. I think you're misunderstanding what it means to say that all that one can know of God was revealed. I understand this to be speaking of God's character. That is, what she said means the same as, "All that man can know of God's character was revealed by Jesus Christ."

Quote:
My approach is quite simple, namely: 1. God commanded Moses to kill sinners. 2. Why did He command Moses to kill sinners? You answer this comment and question by saying God acted in harmony with Jesus’ example in the NT. This non-answer leads me to conclude you believe God did not command Moses to kill sinners. Is this what you believe?

I believe your understanding of what God did in relation to Moses is in error, and, more importantly, that your whole approach to the problem is in error. I've indicated what I believe is the right approach several times.

Quote:
I have never attempted to disprove what Ellen wrote about it. I have demonstrated that your interpretation of what she said is incorrect.

I don't think so. She wrote "all that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His son," or, to be precise:

Quote:
All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. (2T 286)

You argue against this idea by presenting things which you perceive to be things about God which Jesus Christ did not reveal. This is what you've been doing all along. Please notice I'm not interpreting what she wrote her, but simply stating it.

Now *you* have suggested that she didn't really mean what she said, but she meant that some of the things which man needs to know or can know of God were revealed by Jesus Christ, and limit these things to a small subset of what she actually said, including just a few men (Jesus Christ's disciples) and limit it to a specific point in time (when Jesus Christ lived).

So you are disagreeing with what she actually wrote, or, perhaps more accurately, did not believe she meant what she actually said, but meant something else instead. I would be in error because I believe what she actually wrote is correct.

Actually, I should restate this, because this is the crux of the matter. I believe what she wrote is accurate, as it stands, and does not need to be reinterpreted along the lines you have suggested (or any other lines).

Quote:
But I see nowhere in His actions or teachings Jesus demonstrating God commanding Moses to kill sinners. You view this fact as evidence God did not command Moses to kill sinners; whereas, I view it as evidence there are aspects of God’s character and kingdom Jesus did not reveal or demonstrate while here in the flesh.

I view it as evidence that your view of things is incorrect. I disagree with your view because it disagrees with what Jesus Christ revealed of God, and with the SOP statement which says that Christ revealed all that man can know of God. You are using your argument to disprove this statement: "All that man can know of God's character was revealed by Jesus Christ." This is exactly what you are doing by saying "There are aspects of God’s character and kingdom Jesus did not reveal."

It should be easy to see that "All that man can know of God's character was revealed by Jesus Christ" is contradicted by "There are aspects of God’s character and kingdom Jesus did not reveal."

Quote:
T: The point is simply that your statement that the fact that Jesus Christ never appeared in the Father's presence while here in the flesh is proof that His sinful flesh would have incinerated is fallacious. This is no proof at all. Whether or not Jesus Christ could have gone to Mars is irrelevant, which I can't believe you don't realize. This is simply an example to point out the invalidity of your argument. It's not a valid argument that a think could not exist because it didn't.

M:Your Mars example doesn’t prove your point, Tom. Instead, it proves my point. Jesus’ sinful flesh would not have allowed Him to visit Mars without a special suit. Why? Because He would have been incinerated. Sinful flesh cannot survive on Mars. It’s too hot. The same is true of sinful flesh and the firelight of God’s glory.

MM, this is a point of logic. The point is you cannot prove that something is the case because it didn't happen. Do you really not understand this? If not, we can forget it. It doesn't seem like you're getting the point. It's just a logic error.

Quote:
Moses’ experience on the mount is proof that sinful flesh cannot abide in the firelight of God’s glory and presence without being incinerated. Otherwise, why did God say so?

God didn't say anything about Moses being incinerated. The glory that God spoke of was His character, which God makes clear:

Quote:
18And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory.

19And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.

20And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.

21And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:

22And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:

23And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

5And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD.

6And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,

7Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation. (Ex. 33, Ex. 34)

This is speaking of God's character! Nothing could be clearer. The SOP comments:

Quote:
The glory of God is His character. While Moses was in the mount, earnestly interceding with God, he prayed, "I beseech thee, show me thy glory." In answer God declared, "I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy." The glory of God--His character--was then revealed: "The Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty" (Exodus 33:18, 19; 34:6, 7). (God's Amazing Grace 322)

The SOP uses this very passage to prove that God's glory is His character. She actually refers to this passage many times, and always she refers to it in terms of God's character, never as "firelight" which "incinerates."

The spiritual truth revealed to Moses by hiding in the cleft of the rock was that no one can take in all of God's character at once; it is His goodness which is overwhelming. It's not a physical issue, but a character one. We cannot discern His goodness in one fell swoop because to do so would be too much for us. In seeing God as He is, we would see ourselves as we are, which we cannot bear. So God reveals Himself to us little by little, as we are willing. His character, His goodness, leads us to repentance, which allows us to see more of His character, as our repentance deepens.

Quote:
None of the sites or references you posted refutes the idea that God employed the pent up forces of nature to cause the Flood that killed sinners and destroyed the planet.

God did employ these pent up forces. This is what I've been saying.

Quote:
Even if we see it from your point of view, namely, that God merely allowed these forces to cause death and destruction, He still had to work hard to prevent them from exceeding His predetermined limits. In this sense He was forced to regulate them, which is not significantly different than saying He employed them to cause death and destruction.

I agree with the idea that He was forced to regulate them, however. I think that a significant difference is communicated in the way we put things. Regardless of the words used, my point is that it is sin which is destructive force, and not God. God is restorer. Sin, or Satan, is the destroyer. Because God allows the destructive forces of sin to destroy does not make God a destroyer. If God destroyed without reference to sin or Satan (i.e. causing destruction or death to happen which would not have happened apart from sin or Satan) that would make Him a destroyer.

Quote:
M: Fine, but don't leave it at that, at least address the point.

T: You didn't make a point.

M:You deleted it. Please include it so I can readdress it.

No, you never made a point. There was no point to delete. You asked me to explain something I said according to passages you cited. You didn't make any point.

Quote:
M: Actually, since I'm the one who is interested in how your comment plays out in the passage I posted above (which you omitted here), it seems reasonable for you to at least humor my request.

T: You omitted it too, so I can't respond to it without going back. I having some connection problems, so can't do that right now.

M:I included everything you did. When things are working properly please address it. Thank you.

I did. I went back to get the passage, and made a guess as to what you were wanting to ask, and addressed it.

Quote:
M: Also, what is the difference, so far as the dynamics of science are concerned, in 1) how and 2) why the forces of nature kill sinners under the two different paradigms named above?

T: The difference is that under one paradigm, destruction occurs when God ceases to do something He was doing, or doesn't prevent some destructive thing from occurring, whereas in the other paradigm, God Himself does the destructive thing.

M:The two paradigms I had in mind are 1) God withdrawing His protection and allowing the pent up forces of nature to implode upon itself killing sinners in the process, and 2) God withdrawing His protection and allowing Satan to manipulate the forces of nature to kill sinners. Please answer the original question above with these two paradigms in mind. Thank you.

I haven't been arguing these are different paradigms. This is basically the same paradigm. The only difference is what causes the destruction, but the overall working of things is the same. God withdraws His protection and destruction comes.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108474
02/16/09 11:17 PM
02/16/09 11:17 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Tom, I addressed these kinds of questions in my comments above. Here is what I wrote about it:

T: What you wrote indicates this. You say that God ensures things play out in a certain way, that He works hard to prevent things from working otherwise. Therefore He works to ensure the child is abused, to ensure the holocaust takes place. Is this really what you mean to say?

M:Your "therefore" above does not follow from what I wrote.

Yes it does. You wrote that God ensures that things do not play out in a certain way, that He works hard to prevent things from working otherwise. If this is the case, then God is working hard to make sure the abused child is abused (as otherwise, this would be a thing which worked out differently, which you say God works hard to prevent), and similarly for the holocaust, and any other evil thing.

Quote:
Why do you think God allows such terrible things to happen? Why doesn't He prevent such things from happening?

You've asked this several times, and I've answered.

Quote:
Do you agree with me that God works to prevent things from exceeding the limits He has established?

Yes, I agreed with this.

Quote:
Your answer is hardly satisfying, Tom. It makes it sound like you believe God allows these terrible kinds of things to happen to satisfy Satan's need to hurt innocent people.

What? I've not said anything to suggest this. Evil things happen because evil being purpose to do them. This doesn't have to do with God. If God prevented every evil thing from happening, God would have to prevent all sin from happening; He would have to take away all the free will that an evil person has. I don't understand what's unsatisfactory about this answer, nor why you would interpret this as having something to do with Satan's need to hurt innocent people. The issue is not a need to hurt people, but a revelation of the principles of the respective governments. Ellen White often comments on this. Here's an example:

Quote:
It was God's purpose to place things on an eternal basis of security, and in the councils of heaven it was decided that time must be given for Satan to develop the principles which were the foundation of his system of government. He had claimed that these were superior to God's principles. Time was given for the working of Satan's principles, that they might be seen by the heavenly universe.

Satan led men into sin, and the plan of redemption was put in operation. For four thousand years, Christ was working for man's uplifting, and Satan for his ruin and degradation. And the heavenly universe beheld it all. (DA 759)

Quote:
M: Isn't it possible to prevent evil men and angels from hurting good and innocent people without violating their rights and freedoms?

T: Not indiscriminately. If it were, God would do so, don't you think?

M:God never does something indiscriminately.

I guess you didn't understand the point. The point is if it were possible for God to prevent all suffering, don't you think God would do so?

Quote:
He is discerning and discriminating in everything He does. The fact He can forcibly prevent evil men and angels from doing things to good and innocent people that would exceed the limits He is willing to allow, without violating their rights and freedoms or acting uncharacteristically, suggests to me there are good reasons why He tolerates the terrible things that happen.

Of course there are good reasons. I've told you what these reasons are.

Quote:
Your that God is forced to tolerate such terrible things so that the principles of Satan's government can be plainly seen as evil and wrong is wrong on so many levels.

Well at least I have good company! Please see the SOP quote above. I'm curious, if the reasons I've suggested (freedom of choice, to resolve the GC) are not the reasons that God allows evil to occur, what do you think the reasons are?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108476
02/16/09 11:22 PM
02/16/09 11:22 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
But I hear you saying, and correct me if I've misunderstood you, that God simply withdraws His protection and allows these kinds of things to happen, and more often than not, you clarify this position by saying it means God allows Satan to do such things. Whereas, Ellen is clearly saying "God causes" (as opposed to allows) them to happen.

Scripture does the same thing. For example, Scripture says that God sent the fiery serpents upon the Israelites, that God killed Saul, that God destroyed Jerusalem, that God sends strong delusion upon those who have rejected Him, whereas all of these are examples of God's allowing certain things to occur. Since the Universe is God's, and God is the first cause to everything, there is a sense in which one could say that God causes everything which happens to occur.

Regarding God's causing the coal and oil to burn, I recall reading that she said something to the effect that as man diminished after the Flood, that God put these vast reserves of energy in store for the benefit of man. So the oil burning and coal etc. were things God was doing for man's benefit.

Page 26 of 100 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!