HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,079 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 32 of 100 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108821
02/23/09 02:07 AM
02/23/09 02:07 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA

Quote:
Bob said
Jude points out that Sodom and Gomorrah undergo the "punishment of eternal fire" and in Genesis God says he is going have the wicked state of those cities confirmed before visting them with all-destroying judgment. Never does God say to Abraham "the earth wants to destroy the cities and I am going to check them out first to see if I should let the earth do what it so desperately wants to do" - as I am sure we all agree.

God does not present this supernatural act of God as though "man burns himself in fire and brimstone" or as if man measures out the exact amount of torment he owed according to the law - then supernaturally enables his life to remain vital in the lake of fire so as to suffer the amount of torment and suffering owed.

Originally Posted By: Tom

In Hosea 11, God says:

Quote:
8 “ How can I give you up, Ephraim?
How can I hand you over, Israel?
How can I make you like Admah?
How can I set you like Zeboiim?
My heart churns within Me;
My sympathy is stirred.

This is in reference to the cities of the plain, of which were Sodom and Gomorrah. God was sorry He had to give them up.

Indeed - as we see in 2Peter 3 "God is not willing for ANY to perish. God desires ALL to come to repentance".

The Lake of Fire and supernatural arrangment for torment and suffering there is not done "because God likes it" -- any more than He "liked" suffering on the cross for all the sins of the world. Recall that Christ said "if it be possible let this cup pass from Me".

my argument is not about what God "likes" in all of this - rather it is in defining the solution for sin that HE made up - the one that has the wicked tormented in the 2nd death and then "destroyed both body and soul".

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #108822
02/23/09 02:16 AM
02/23/09 02:16 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I'm not claiming anyone said God likes it. What I'm wanting to understand is how you, or anyone, could think that God is capable of this. Surely you've burned yourself. Wasn't it painful? Can you even imagine how painful it would be to be burned all over your body all at once? If you were so torturing even your worst enemy, wouldn't you stop doing so after a few seconds? Wouldn't that be enough to appease your wrath?

Imagine watching a loved one being burned in the judgment, hearing their shrieks of pain, your Mom, or child, or spouse, or brother. If you had the power to stop the torture, wouldn't you do so? Wouldn't you be crying to God to please put their misery to an end? As the SOP asks, "Will the redeemed in heaven be lost to all emotions of pity and compassion, and even to feelings of common humanity? Are these to be exchanged for the indifference of the stoic or the cruelty of the savage?"

Does God love our loved ones any less than we do? Of course He loves them more. If we would be incapable of such inhumane treatment of even our enemies, what makes us think God would be capable of treating our loved ones this way, when God loves them infinitely more than we do? If one answers, "This is necessary to satisfy the law," what sort of being would create a law that would constrain one to act so heinously?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108824
02/23/09 03:08 AM
02/23/09 03:08 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA

There's no need for a manufactured event to kill them.

However God creates one in Rev 19 and then yet another manufacture event "starting with the wicked as mere dust" - in Rev 20.

Quote:

Also the idea that God would torment people with fire, supernaturally keeping them alive so they could feel more and ever more inestimable pain, is so contrary to God's character, I don't understand how anyone familiar with Jesus Christ could entertain such ideas,

Again you view the act of reading a Bible text that does not fit your model as 'entertaining such ideas' as if the choice to read Luke 12:45-48 was the error.

The "tormented in fire and brimstone" text as God states in Rev 14 exists even when we choose not to read that part of the Bible.

Quote:
Rev 14
9 Then another angel, a third one, followed them, saying with a loud voice, ""If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand,

10 he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of His anger; and he will be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy ones AND in the presence of the Lamb.
11 ""And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever; they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.''

This and other texts like it were already quoted here -

http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=108797#Post108797

your response is almost as if I "wrote the texts" instead of the actual fact that I simply point to their existence and notice how they do not fit with the model that you have proposed.

The texts do not go away simply because we might agree not to read them. (Not sure if that is why you never deal with them in your responses)

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 02/23/09 03:12 AM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108825
02/23/09 03:36 AM
02/23/09 03:36 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
I'm not claiming anyone said God likes it. What I'm wanting to understand is how you, or anyone, could think that God is capable of this.

If you are asking how I could possibly think that God apportions degrees of punishment in hell (the 2nd death lake of fire) then it is in Luke 12:45-48 where the one who :knew his masters will and yet did deeds worthy of flogging shall receive many lashes" (not my words -- God's).

If you are asking how I could possibly think that God torments anyone in the 2nd death lake of fire and brimstone it is in Rev 14:10-11 "tormented with fire and brimstone" - again these are God's Words -- not mine.

If you are asking how I could possibly think that God has to supernaturally CAUSE the dust to become alive - -then cause the great white throne judgment - then cause the lake of fire -- it is in Rev 20 - not my idea -- His.

If you are asking why I think He meticulously manages each supernatural event so that each person suffers the exact amount of time and torment as demanded by the Law for that person's sins -- well we saw it in Matt 18 Christ argues that the person whose "forgiveness is revoked" his handed over to the torturers to pay the full debt owed.

As we both know full well - Ellen White agrees with this by the way ..

Quote:

http://egwdatabase.whiteestate.org/nxt/g...hapter01998.htm

"Every battle of the warrior is with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire." "The indignation of the Lord is upon all nations, and His fury upon all their armies: He hath utterly destroyed them, He hath delivered them to the slaughter." "Upon the wicked He shall rain quick burning coals, fire and brimstone and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup." Isaiah 9:5; 34:2; Psalm 11:6, margin.

Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10. The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething 673

lake of fire. It is the time of the judgement and perdition of ungodly men--"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." Isaiah 34:8. {GC 672.2}

Quote:

The wicked receive their recompense in the earth. Proverbs 11:31.

They "shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts." Malachi 4:1.

Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished "according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit.

His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC 673.1}

It does no good to turn from these facts and the argue as if by reading them - and agreeing to still notice them -- I am the source of the information, or that it is something "I wish".

Quote:

Surely you've burned yourself. Wasn't it painful? Can you even imagine how painful it would be to be burned all over your body all at once?

Agreed. But what is in discussion is not my imagination - rather it is what does the text actually say? I also "imagine" that the electric chair is horrible -- but that does not change the law or the state. Those death sentences remain law even when I imagine them to be painful. My imagination changes nothing.

Quote:

"Will the redeemed in heaven be lost to all emotions of pity and compassion, and even to feelings of common humanity? Are these to be exchanged for the indifference of the stoic or the cruelty of the savage?"

I have to conclude that this manufactured event is indeed emotionally scarring for the saints. But think about it -- the event does not happen for the benefit of the wicked. It takes place only for the benefit of the surviving intelligent universe as the last act that ensures that sin will not rise again.

Quote:

Does God love our loved ones any less than we do? Of course He loves them more.

Agreed. But the appeal to emotion changes nothing in the text. It only shows what pain this will be for both God and the universe that watches it. However God is VERY clear that they "are TORMENTED.. IN THE PRESENCE of the Lamb and of His Holy ones" Rev 14:10.

The Bible is very clear on the point that this painful event will be watched - as painful as it is.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 02/23/09 03:40 AM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #108826
02/23/09 03:44 AM
02/23/09 03:44 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
I am struck with the pattern here of my handing you text and reference from EGW - and your handing me emotion and asking about what I would wish were the case instead.

I don't understand how that method solves the problem for your model.

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #108828
02/23/09 04:10 AM
02/23/09 04:10 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Bobryan
I am struck with the pattern here of my handing you text and reference from EGW - and your handing me emotion and asking about what I would wish were the case instead.

in Christ,

Bob

does God have emotions? i mean other than anger and hate, like us. or is He cold and stoical like statues, perhaps like satan?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #108830
02/23/09 04:40 AM
02/23/09 04:40 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Quote:
teresa:im asking where it specifically says, if you/we dont live up to the perfect law of love, live up to Gods perfect loving character, then He will kill us, or words/thoughts to that effect....

Originally Posted By: teresaq
That is the part that we find in Romans 3 and Galatians 3.

hmmmmm, interesting.

first, i am still waiting for the answer to my question at top. im not able to find where it says God will kill us for not living up to the law.

What part of Romans 3 and Galatians 3 did you read?

As I mentioned earlier I was referring to this part

Quote:
Bob said
The one mentioned in Roman 3 that states that the law places all the world under condemnation - that every mouth should be closed -- everyone condemned for there is "no one who seeks after God -- no not one".

The one in Gal 3 that says that there is no salvation at all under the law and that as many as are under the law are under a curse - for all have sinned.

http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=108694#Post108694

Recall that this is also where we found these references -

Quote:

The one in Romans 6 that says that the wages of sin "yes even one sin" is death. (the 2nd death -- since by contrast the gift of God is eternal life).

The one in Luke 12:46-48 where Christ informs us that the "one who knew his masters will and yet did deeds worthy of flogging will receive many stripes" - showing magnitude of payment due for sins is also in the context of the knowledge of the person.

The one in Is 53 telling us that Christ took the stripes of suffering "FOR US to whom the Stroke was DUE".

in Christ,

Bob

but i dont understand how you are reading "God will kill us" in galations 3 and romans 3. i couldnt find that concept so im wondering how you do?

as for isaiah, do you read that to say that God killed Jesus?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #108833
02/23/09 01:01 PM
02/23/09 01:01 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:There's no need for a manufactured event to kill them.

B:However God creates one in Rev 19 and then yet another manufacture event "starting with the wicked as mere dust" - in Rev 20.

Given there's no need for a manufactured event to kill them, one would need to question the assertion that God creates one, since that would be illogical.

Quote:
T:Also the idea that God would torment people with fire, supernaturally keeping them alive so they could feel more and ever more inestimable pain, is so contrary to God's character, I don't understand how anyone familiar with Jesus Christ could entertain such ideas,

B:Again you view the act of reading a Bible text that does not fit your model as 'entertaining such ideas' as if the choice to read Luke 12:45-48 was the error.

The "tormented in fire and brimstone" text as God states in Rev 14 exists even when we choose not to read that part of the Bible. (cites Rev. 14)

This and other texts like it were already quoted here -

http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=108797#Post108797

your response is almost as if I "wrote the texts" instead of the actual fact that I simply point to their existence and notice how they do not fit with the model that you have proposed.

The texts do not go away simply because we might agree not to read them. (Not sure if that is why you never deal with them in your responses)

I'm not arguing against the texts, but your interpretation of them. You're acting as if just because you read texts in a certain way, that means they must be that way. But there's an alternative, which is that you interpretation of the texts are wrong. That's possible. Just because you understand things in a certain way, does not mean they must be that way.

As to dealing with the texts, I am dealing with them. I'm dealing with them by asking you how it is you think God would be capable of the acts you ascribe to Him, given His revelation of Himself through Jesus Christ.

There are those who take the same texts you are citing in Revelation and conclude that God will torture the wicked for all eternity. After all, it says the smoke of their torment goes up for ever and ever and they have no rest day or not. Regarding this interpretation, EGW responds:

Quote:
How repugnant to every emotion of love and mercy, and even to our sense of justice, is the doctrine that the wicked dead are tormented with fire and brimstone in an eternally burning hell; that for the sins of a brief earthly life they are to suffer torture as long as God shall live. Yet this doctrine has been widely taught and is still embodied in many of the creeds of Christendom. Said a learned doctor of divinity: "The sight of hell torments will exalt the happiness of the saints forever. When they see others who are of the same nature and born under the same circumstances, plunged in such misery, and they so distinguished, it will make them sensible of how happy they are." Another used these words: "While the decree of reprobation is eternally executing on the vessels of wrath, the smoke of their torment will be eternally ascending in view of the vessels of mercy, who, instead of taking the part of these miserable objects, will say, Amen, Alleluia! praise ye the Lord!"

Where, in the pages of God's word, is such teaching to be found? Will the redeemed in heaven be lost to all emotions of pity and compassion, and even to feelings of common humanity?(GC 535)

You're presenting essentially the same viewpoint, and her comments apply just as much to this viewpoint as to the same viewpoint that has God doing these things for eternity as opposed to "many days" or "many years."

Since this is an important point, I'll develop it a bit. Reading GC 535-536, one can see that a certain interpretation of Revelation is rejected, not on the basis of an analysis of the text, but on the basis of the character of God and His followers. She refutes the teaching by pointing out that God is simply not the way that such an interpretation of the text would have Him to be, nor are His followers. She refutes it by citing Exek. 33:11. I'm following the same path.

Why is this path valid? Because the same principles are involved regardless of whether one views the torment to be for many days as opposed to forever. The point is that God is not capable of doing, even for a moment, the cruelty being suggested. She refutes the argument by pointing out that "cruelty is Satanic." Cruelty for "many days," is Satanic just as cruelty for ever is. God is no more capable of being cruel for a few days than He is to be cruel for eternity.

So the overlying problem of the interpretation is that it has God acting cruelly. No one can doubt, as Ellen White has identified, that burning people with fire, causing them to shriek in pain, is cruel. This theory has God acting worse that the Nazi torturers or those who specialized in this treatment during the inquisition. Imagine the confessions possible if these people had the power God has to supernaturally extend life so they could be burned alive without dying for days on end.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108834
02/23/09 01:40 PM
02/23/09 01:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:I'm not claiming anyone said God likes it. What I'm wanting to understand is how you, or anyone, could think that God is capable of this.

B:If you are asking how I could possibly think that God apportions degrees of punishment in hell (the 2nd death lake of fire) then it is in Luke 12:45-48 where the one who :knew his masters will and yet did deeds worthy of flogging shall receive many lashes" (not my words -- God's).

Actually, they are not God's words. God has not put Himself on trial in either the rhetoric or the logic of the Bible. But this is the subject for another topic.

As to Luke 12, EGW comments as follows:

Quote:
There are many who in their hearts charge God with being a hard master because He claims their possessions and their service. But we can bring to God nothing that is not already His. "All things come of Thee," said King David; "and of Thine own have we given Thee." 1 Chron. 29:14. All things are God's, not only by creation, but by redemption. All the blessings of this life and of the life to come are delivered to us stamped with the cross of Calvary. Therefore the charge that God is a hard master, reaping where He has not sown, is false.

The master does not deny the charge of the wicked servant, unjust as it is; but taking him on his own ground he shows that his conduct is without excuse. (COL 362)

Your interpretation here is suffering from the same problem as in the other texts, which is to have God act out of character. For the benefit of those who view God incorrectly, God, in mercy, presents messages for the purpose of leading one into a relationship with Him, even with this faulty perspective. Actually God does this for all of us, because none of us view Him as He is in truth. All of our conceptions of His character fall far short of His true goodness. So God takes us where we are, and leads us along. If we start with the conviction that God is good, as revealed in Christ, that will help lead us along the path of discovery.

Quote:

If you are asking how I could possibly think that God torments anyone in the 2nd death lake of fire and brimstone it is in Rev 14:10-11 "tormented with fire and brimstone" - again these are God's Words -- not mine.

Again, these are not God's words, as God has not placed Himself on trial in either the rhetoric or the logic of the Bible (1SM 21). God has revealed Himself through the Word, Jesus Christ.

Quote:
39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. 40 But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life. (John 5:39, 40)

The overriding purpose of the Scriptures is to lead us to Christ, in whom God is fully revealed.

Quote:
If you are asking how I could possibly think that God apportions degrees of punishment in hell (the 2nd death lake of fire) then it is in Luke 12:45-48 where the one who :knew his masters will and yet did deeds worthy of flogging shall receive many lashes" (not my words -- God's).

If you are asking how I could possibly think that God has to supernaturally CAUSE the dust to become alive - -then cause the great white throne judgment - then cause the lake of fire -- it is in Rev 20 - not my idea -- His.

If you are asking why I think He meticulously manages each supernatural event so that each person suffers the exact amount of time and torment as demanded by the Law for that person's sins -- well we saw it in Matt 18 Christ argues that the person whose "forgiveness is revoked" his handed over to the torturers to pay the full debt owed.

As we both know full well - Ellen White agrees with this by the way ..

What I'm asking is how you think God is capable of acting with the cruelty you ascribe to Him. As to your claim that "we both know full well that Ellen White agrees with this," this seems rather affected. It should be obvious, given my arguments against the ideas you've been presenting, that I by know means "know" that Ellen White agrees with this. I've been using her writings to argue against the view you've been presenting!

If she does not view God to be capable of acting with the cruelty you as suggesting, then she could not have shared these views. That she does not so view God is made clear through the whole of her writings.

Again, from the COL chapter cited above:

Quote:
Upon the slothful servant the sentence was, "Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents." Here, as in the reward of the faithful worker, is indicated not merely the reward at the final judgment but the gradual process of retribution in this life. As in the natural, so in the spiritual world: every power unused will weaken and decay. Activity is the law of life; idleness is death. "The manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal." 1 Cor. 12:7. Employed to bless others, his gifts increase. Shut up to self-serving they diminish, and are finally withdrawn. He who refuses to impart that which he has received will at last find that he has nothing to give. He is consenting to a process that surely dwarfs and finally destroys the faculties of the soul.

Let none suppose that they can live a life of selfishness, and then, having served their own interests, enter into the joy of their Lord. In the joy of unselfish love they could not participate. They would not be fitted for the heavenly
courts. They could not appreciate the pure atmosphere of love that pervades heaven. The voices of the angels and the music of their harps would not satisfy them. To their minds the science of heaven would be as an enigma. (COL 364, 365)

Please note especially the last paragraph. GC 541 expresses the same thought, pointing out that the exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves.

What is being described here is a natural process. Those who reject God unfit themselves for heaven by rejecting the Holy Spirit. Eventually the mind becomes hardened to spiritual things, and God's principles, character and love become an enigma.

Quote:
It does no good to turn from these facts and the argue as if by reading them - and agreeing to still notice them -- I am the source of the information, or that it is something "I wish".

It's not a question of turning away from facts, but of selectively reading certain texts that would present God in a negative way. Just as with Scripture, when dealing with the SOP, one should compare what she wrote on a subject with other statements. For example, she writes:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

Note she says this is not an arbitrary, or "manufactured" (to use your word) act of power on the part of God which causes the destruction of the wicked. Their death, including the suffering involved, is a result of their choices. She emphasizes this again and again in this quote, over a half-dozen times.

Had God "left" Satan, he would have perished, because death it the inevitable result of sin.

The whole point of these paragraphs is to make clear that the death of the wicked is not something God does to them, not a manufactured punishment, but the consequence of the choices they have made.

Quote:
T:Surely you've burned yourself. Wasn't it painful? Can you even imagine how painful it would be to be burned all over your body all at once?

B:Agreed. But what is in discussion is not my imagination - rather it is what does the text actually say? I also "imagine" that the electric chair is horrible -- but that does not change the law or the state. Those death sentences remain law even when I imagine them to be painful. My imagination changes nothing.

If you have the text say that God acts cruelly, that can't be what the text is saying. Cruelty is Satanic.

Quote:
T:"Will the redeemed in heaven be lost to all emotions of pity and compassion, and even to feelings of common humanity? Are these to be exchanged for the indifference of the stoic or the cruelty of the savage?"

B:I have to conclude that this manufactured event is indeed emotionally scarring for the saints. But think about it -- the event does not happen for the benefit of the wicked.

But it is for their benefit!

Quote:
The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies." God
executes justice upon the wicked, for the good of the universe, and even for the good of those upon whom His judgments are visited.(GC 541, 542)

Quote:
It takes place only for the benefit of the surviving intelligent universe as the last act that ensures that sin will not rise again.

As seen above, this assertion isn't correct.

Quote:
T:Does God love our loved ones any less than we do? Of course He loves them more.

B:Agreed. But the appeal to emotion changes nothing in the text. It only shows what pain this will be for both God and the universe that watches it. However God is VERY clear that they "are TORMENTED.. IN THE PRESENCE of the Lamb and of His Holy ones" Rev 14:10.

The Bible is very clear on the point that this painful event will be watched - as painful as it is.

I'm not appealing to emotion, but to logic. If God loves our loved ones more than we do, then it is logical to conclude that He would not be capable of doing the cruel things you are ascribing to Him. You're interpreting the text in a way that would have God acting completely out of character with Jesus Christ's revelation, which is illogical.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108835
02/23/09 01:50 PM
02/23/09 01:50 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

I asked you no questions whatsoever about what you wished were the case, although I see nothing wrong with this tack. Such questions can be enlightening in regards to what they reveal about a person. At any rate, to date, I haven't asked you what you wished to be the case.

Again, I didn't hand you emotion, but logic. The logic of the question is that if you cannot bear the thought of doing the things suggested to even your worst enemy, then there must be something wrong with the idea that God would do these things to our loved ones.

Quote:

The model I'm suggesting is founded on the principle that all that man needs to know, or can know, of God was revealed in the life and character of Jesus Christ. The only problems I see in this model are ones brought up by our own ignorance and hardness of heart which would have God be other than what Jesus Christ revealed Him to be.

I'm not singling you out here, by the way, for I freely admit that my own views of God's character are far inferior to His beauty of character, as revealed by Jesus Christ.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that the wicked will not suffer or die in the judgment, but there's different ways of viewing this event. One way is as Ty Gibson has laid out, which is that punishment is organic to sin itself. I believe he's lit on to a key which allows us to make sense of the entire matter.

If we view punishment as organic to sin, then it makes perfect sense that the wicked would suffer in proportion to the sin they've committed. Indeed, nothing could be more logical than this.

Another consequence of this view is that it has God acting as Savior, as One who would rescue us from the hideous results of sin. This is entirely in harmony with all that Jesus Christ lived and taught.

Page 32 of 100 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!