HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,638
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,276 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? [Re: Mountain Man] #110567
03/27/09 03:26 AM
03/27/09 03:26 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
We'll have to get GC to weigh in on this. Regarding the atonement, it appears to me that he's saying the same thing I've been saying for years.

You mentioned Lucifer's case. We can bring that up to him as well. I have mentioned many times that God offered to pardon Lucifer without Christ's having to die in order for Him to do so. GC pointed out that Christ's sacrifice for Lucifer would have done no good because he already knew God's love and character, the same point I've made many times. My guess is he would agree with my point that God offered to pardon Lucifer of his sin many times, and that it was not necessary for Christ to die in order to do so.

Quote:
Again and again he was offered pardon on condition of repentance and submission. Such efforts as only infinite love and wisdom could devise were made to convince him of his error.(GC 496)

GC looks to have referred to this passage, and another one I've often quoted:

Quote:
But even as a sinner, man was in a different position from that of Satan. Lucifer in heaven had sinned in the light of God's glory. To him as to no other created being was given a revelation of God's love.

Understanding the character of God, knowing His goodness, Satan chose to follow his own selfish, independent will. This choice was final. There was no more that God could do to save him. But man was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. (DA 761-762)

GC has also brought out several times the importance of understanding the atonement not simply in terms of the relation to man, but to the universe as a whole, another point I've made many times.

So it appears to me that GC's understanding of the atonement is very similar to mine. Actually, up to now, I haven't perceived a difference.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? [Re: Tom] #110569
03/27/09 05:36 AM
03/27/09 05:36 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom and Mike,

Coming from a third perspective, as I am, I am not sure exactly where the two of you differ. I've seen points bantered back and forth, largely in the forms of questions like "Do you agree with this?" However, I'm not sure of exactly which points you find in conflict.

From my present position, it appears that just as there are two sides of a coin, each of you may be seeing one side, whereas I see both. In other words, I'm not sure I differ with either of you. I do not see myself, presently, as siding more heavily with one or the other of you. If you clarify some point on which you differ, then perhaps I can see where I stand on that particular point.

It appears to me that Tom's special focus has been God's love. Mike has focused on God's law. But I see them as one and the same. As we say, there is a hard side of love. I see that. God has His own hard side. His mercy is not forever.

"He will not always strive with us, neither will he keep his anger forever." (David's words, Psalm 37?)

Mike also seems more focused on this earth and the human family. I view the Great Controversy within the perspective of the entire Universe. Thus, God's sacrifice is not just for us, but for all those watching us as well.

God is on trial. His law and justice stand accused of being unfair. Satan claims it is not possible to keep God's law fully. But God will have a people, just before He comes, who do just that. This will be the final proof to end the conflict with Satan.

Jesus has made the proof of His love on the cross. At the same time, He established the unchanging character of His law. But it is only when He demonstrates to the watching Universe that His power is sufficient to enable us to keep His law fully, and live perfect before Him, that the final blow to the devil's assertions will come. At that point, all will know without a doubt that God was right, and Satan was wrong.

Therefore, we have the privilege of being among those who help to vindicate God, His law, and His character. This is what makes the 144,000 so special to God.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? [Re: Green Cochoa] #110585
03/27/09 03:19 PM
03/27/09 03:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I agree with seeing God's law as His love.

Perhaps this will help spell out our difference. From MM's perspective, if Christ had not died, God would not have been able to legally pardon man (due to a limitation on God's side). That is, God did not have the legal right to pardon man unless Christ died. I've argued against this on both the basis of Scripture and the SOP. Most of MM and my discussions have centered around SOP quotes, and this is what MM usually cites.

What I've argued, in relation to the SOP, is that the reason Christ had to die could not be what MM has asserted, because this same reason would apply to Satan. That is, if it were necessary for Christ to die in order to satisfy some legal requirement that would confer upon God the ability to pardon, then it would have been necessary for Christ to die in order to pardon Satan. Yet we are told that God offered pardon Satan again and again, without Christ's having to die, so this shoots that whole theory down. There must be some *other* reason that Christ's death was necessary, which are the reasons you've been pointing out.

For example,

Quote:
But even as a sinner, man was in a different position from that of Satan. Lucifer in heaven had sinned in the light of God's glory. To him as to no other created being was given a revelation of God's love.

Understanding the character of God, knowing His goodness, Satan chose to follow his own selfish, independent will. This choice was final. There was no more that God could do to save him. But man was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. (DA 761-763)

The reason Christ didn't die for Satan is because it wouldn't have done any good. But for man, it could to good. Why? Because of some legal requirement? No, but because man's mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry, not knowing the height and depth of God's love; by beholding God's character man could be drawn back to God. This wasn't possible for Satan, so there was no sacrifice for him.

But if there were some independent legal requirement (by independent I mean without reference to issues like responding to God's love, knowing God's character, being drawn back to God, things like that) then it *would* have been necessary for Christ to have died for God to have pardoned Satan. Yet God offered Satan pardon anyway, without Christ's death. Why? Because Satan already knew God's love and character. All that was necessary for Satan was to make a decision as to what he wanted to do. Man was not in the same position as Satan, because his mind had been darkened to Satan's sophistry. God had to do something to even get man to the point to where it was possible for him to make the same decision God offered Satan.

This whole process is approved by the law and satisfies the justice of God. I agree with statements emphasizing that Christ's death was necessary to satisfy justice and legal requirements, but not independent of the issues which DA 761-762 bring up.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? [Re: Tom] #110586
03/27/09 03:22 PM
03/27/09 03:22 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I wanted to make a comment on the following:

Quote:
It appears to me that Tom's special focus has been God's love.

My focus has been more on God's character. Now "God is love," so the defining attribute of His character is His love, so there's definitely a close connection. However, the law is a transcript of His character, and love is the fulfilling of the law, so it's easy to see that an emphasis on God's character must, of necessity, also emphasize both His love and His law.

Re: Did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? [Re: Mountain Man] #110640
03/28/09 12:25 PM
03/28/09 12:25 PM
C
Claudia Thompson  Offline
England
Hi, I havent read all of this but didnt Jesus also "earn the right" to pardon and save sinners, not only by His death but by His LIFE as well?

Someone might of already said this but just in case they havent...

Romans 8:
3: For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

He had to live a life completely free from sin in order to be able to condemn sin in the flesh... so we'd have no excuse for sin.

Maybe later I will be able to join in convsersations when a topic first starts so I wont annoy anybody by not knowing whats going on LOL! smile

and I know this will probably seem strange but as I was looking at something Elle said in a SOP quotation it made me think of this:

"The coin, though lying among dust and rubbish, is a piece of silver still. Its owner seeks it because it is of value. So every soul, however degraded by sin, is in God's sight accounted precious. As the coin bears the image and superscription of the reigning power, so man at his creation bore the image and superscription of God; and though now marred and dim through the influence of sin, the traces of this inscription remain upon every soul. God desires to recover that soul and to retrace upon it His own image in righteousness and holiness." COL 194

Since we at creation bore the image of the "reigning power" of God, it has to be that same image of the reigning power restored in us and it has to be the reigning power Himself who does everything to redeem and restore us, doesnt it?

Ive been watching videos on the Sabbath and reading Hebrews chapter 4 and realizing that Jesus as our Creator has everything to do with our salvation, because He is our Creator. He had to die for us because He is our Creator and He had to live out the perfect life for us because He is our Creator and He has to re-create His image in us because He is our Creator. He is the only One who couldve done all this.

I dont even know how to put into the right words what Im trying to say here but I just have an idea that this has something to do with it all, maybe.

Last edited by Claudia Thompson; 03/28/09 12:28 PM.

Jn:15:15: Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
Re: Did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? [Re: Claudia Thompson] #110641
03/28/09 12:38 PM
03/28/09 12:38 PM
C
Claudia Thompson  Offline
England
Also I was thinking that in order to be both "Just and the Justifier" Jesus our Creator had to do ALL THESE THINGS in OUR place for us... die for us, because we incurred God's wrath for our sins, so He must pay the penalty of the Second Death to satisfy God's Justice... and LIVE for us, in the place of us, the perfect life as if we did it... He does THAT in our place as well, in order to satisfy the Justice of God... so Jesus can be "Just and the Justifier" of us...

BUT then if we fail to MAKE IT SO by actually dying OURSELVES with Christ, like it says in the chapter 6 of Romans, being buried WITH Him, the entire thing becomes "Null and Void" because it says in Romans 6 that only they who die WITH CHRIST will LIVE with Him at the Resurrection.

So see how Jesus had to do ALL these things to "earn the right" for us?

He as our Creator, who bears the same superscription of that "reigning power" which we should bear, and man DID bear at creation, which is what he was created to be in the first place, Jesus had to do ALL THE THINGS we are to do, pay the penalty of the Second Death, LIVE the life free from sin...

I hope this makes sense.

Jn:15:15: Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
Re: Did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? [Re: Claudia Thompson] #110665
03/28/09 09:30 PM
03/28/09 09:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Claudia Thompson
Also I was thinking that in order to be both "Just and the Justifier" Jesus our Creator had to do ALL THESE THINGS in OUR place for us... die for us, because we incurred God's wrath for our sins, so He must pay the penalty of the Second Death to satisfy God's Justice... and LIVE for us, in the place of us, the perfect life as if we did it... He does THAT in our place as well, in order to satisfy the Justice of God... so Jesus can be "Just and the Justifier" of us...

This is exactly what I believe, too!!!

Re: Did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? [Re: Mountain Man] #110667
03/28/09 09:46 PM
03/28/09 09:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, I totally agree with everything Tom says about the moral influence Jesus' death has on sinners. Our discussions do not dispute this aspect of Jesus' death. The sacrificial love and character of God demonstrated on the cross influences and inspires sinners to love and obey God. No question about it.

Tom and I disagree regarding the legal requirements of law and justice as it pertains to why Jesus had to die. I believe law and justice demand death for sin. I also believe pardon does not annul this requirement. Jesus had to die because death must happen in consequence of sin.

God cannot disregard the just and loving demands of law and justice. He has bound Himself by His word and by His law to uphold law and justice. The security of the Universe depends on it. Just because sinners cease to sin and learn to love and obey God, it does not give Him the right to set aside the death penalty.

Re: Did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? [Re: Mountain Man] #110668
03/28/09 09:53 PM
03/28/09 09:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you cannot cite Lucifer's case as proof God has the right to pardon sinners without also requiring the substitutionary death of Jesus. You do not have enough evidence to establish this idea. There is no evidence that God would have reinstated Lucifer after he sinned on condition of repentance and submission without also requiring the the substitutionary death of Jesus. If what you believe is true, namely, Jesus did not die because law and justice demand death for sin, you should be able to prove it without relying on inconclusive ideas regarding Lucifer's case.

Re: Did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? [Re: Mountain Man] #110693
03/29/09 05:23 AM
03/29/09 05:23 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, you cannot cite Lucifer's case as proof God has the right to pardon sinners without also requiring the substitutionary death of Jesus. You do not have enough evidence to establish this idea.

This is all the evidence that's needed:

Quote:
God in His great mercy bore long with Lucifer. He was not immediately degraded from his exalted station when he first indulged the spirit of discontent, nor even when he began to present his false claims before the loyal angels. Long was he retained in heaven. Again and again he was offered pardon on condition of repentance and submission. (GC 495)

Quote:
Satan had excited sympathy in his favor by representing that God had dealt unjustly with him in bestowing supreme honor upon Christ. Before he was sentenced to banishment from Heaven, his course was with convincing clearness shown to be wrong, and he was granted an opportunity to confess his sin, and submit to God's authority as just and righteous.(4SP 319)

This establishes the point that God offered Lucifer pardon without Jesus Christ's having had to die to do so.

Quote:
There is no evidence that God would have reinstated Lucifer after he sinned on condition of repentance and submission without also requiring the the substitutionary death of Jesus.

Sure there is. See the above quotes!

Quote:
If what you believe is true, namely, Jesus did not die because law and justice demand death for sin

I don't disagree with this. I disagree with your assertion that God was not able to forgive sin without Jesus' death giving him the legal right to do so.

Quote:
, you should be able to prove it without relying on inconclusive ideas regarding Lucifer's case.

Ok. Let's discuss the case from Scripture. We'll start with the words of Jesus Himself. Show me where Jesus said that God was not legally permitted to forgive sins, and only the death of Jesus allowed Him to do so.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/19/24 01:25 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!