HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,611
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 41 of 100 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #109093
02/27/09 06:50 PM
02/27/09 06:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The following passages describe the "evil tendencies" with which we must contend:

There is earnest warfare before all who would subdue the evil tendencies that strive for the mastery. {FLB 211.5}

No truth does the Bible set forth in clearer light than the peril of even one departure from the right--peril both to the wrongdoer and to all whom his influence shall reach. Example has wonderful power; and when cast on the side of the evil tendencies of our nature, it becomes well-nigh irresistible. {Ed 150.1}

The evil tendencies of mankind are hard to overcome. The battles are tedious. Every soul in the strife knows how severe, how bitter, are these contests. Everything about growth in grace is difficult, because the standard and maxims of the world are constantly interposed between the soul and God's holy standard. The Lord would have us elevated, ennobled, purified, by carrying out the principles underlying His great moral standard, which will test every character in the great day of final reckoning. {FLB 135.3}

Parents may have transmitted to their children tendencies to appetite and passion, which will make more difficult the work of educating and training these children to be strictly temperate and to have pure and virtuous habits. If the appetite for unhealthy food and for stimulants and narcotics has been transmitted to them as a legacy from their parents, what a fearfully solemn responsibility rests upon the parents to counteract the evil tendencies which they have given to their children! How earnestly and diligently should the parents work to do their duty, in faith and hope, to their unfortunate offspring! {CG 405.3}

Some feel their need of the atonement, and with the recognition of this need, and the desire for a change of heart, a struggle begins. To renounce their own will, perhaps their chosen objects of affection or pursuit, requires an effort, at which many hesitate and falter and turn back. Yet this battle must be fought by every heart that is truly converted. We must war against temptations without and within. We must gain the victory over self, crucify the affections and lusts; and then begins the union of the soul with Christ. {5T 47.1}

As the dry and apparently lifeless branch is grafted into the living tree, so may we become living branches of the True Vine. And the fruit which was borne by Christ will be borne by all His followers. After this union is formed, it can be preserved only by continual, earnest, painstaking effort. Christ exercises His power to preserve and guard this sacred tie, and the dependent, helpless sinner must act his part with untiring energy, or Satan by his cruel, cunning power will separate him from Christ. {5T 47.1}

Every Christian must stand on guard continually, watching every avenue of the soul where Satan might find access. He must pray for divine help and at the same time resolutely resist every inclination to sin. By courage, by faith, by persevering toil, he can conquer. But let him remember that to gain the victory Christ must abide in him and he in Christ. {5T 47.2}

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109117
02/27/09 11:05 PM
02/27/09 11:05 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,
Ellen White used all these words (propensities, tendencies, inclinations, traits of character, etc.) 99.9% of the times in the negative sense, and evidently as synonymous. This is easy to demonstrate:

Strenuous, flesh-wearing toil may counteract and subdue their evil propensities, and others will not be leavened by their harmful tendencies and traits of character. {TM 403.1}

While we yield ourselves as instruments for the Holy Spirit's working, the grace of God works in us to deny old inclinations, to overcome powerful propensities, and to form new habits. {AG 194.3}

Through the aid of the Holy Spirit we are to resist natural inclinations and tendencies to wrong, and weed out of the life every un-Christlike element. {HP 347.3}

Quote:
Indeed! The assumption assumption that's lacking is that the two words are synonyms, as you're basically arguing that the two words are synonyms because you're assuming they're synonyms.

I'm not assuming anything. The dictionary, and the usage, and the common sense tell me that these words are synonymous, and the onus is on you to prove that Ellen White gave them a different meaning.

This is how I would present my argument:

Word A has only a negative sense (ex: doom)
Word B has both a positive and a negative sense (ex: fate)
Word A and word B are synonymous when word B has a negative sense (a fact established by the dictionary).
Word B is preceded by an adjective which gives it a negative sense.
Therefore, word A and word B are synonymous.

No dictionary would say that "propensities" can be used only in the negative sense. But I'm still assuming as true, for the sake of argument, the hypothesis that Ellen White uses it only in the negative sense. Now, what you are proposing is that the negative sense of "propensities" means something different from the negative sense of "tendencies." So please give me the definition of "evil propensities" and the definition of "evil tendencies" and explain to me how and why they are different.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #109119
02/27/09 11:31 PM
02/27/09 11:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I'm not assuming anything.

In your original argument you were, tacitly, as the argument itself is invalid.

Quote:
The dictionary, and the usage, and the common sense tell me that these words are synonymous, and the onus is on you to prove that Ellen White gave them a different meaning.

I didn't say they had a different meaning. I pointed out to you that she didn't use them completely interchangeable, nor that they were completely synonymous. This is what I said. You should switch what I said to something else.

You took issue with this, so I issued you a challenge. The challenge was to find a single instance where she used the word "propensity" in a positive way. This is a simple challenge.

I made my clarification to your remark, and presented evidence as to why. If you wish to take issue with it, simply find a counter-example.

Quote:

This is how I would present my argument:

Word A has only a negative sense (ex: doom)
Word B has both a positive and a negative sense (ex: fate)
Word A and word B are synonymous when word B has a negative sense (a fact established by the dictionary).
Word B is preceded by an adjective which gives it a negative sense.
Therefore, word A and word B are synonymous.

This is a much better argument than the original one, but still flawed. It's close, however. The original one was miles away from being valid, so far off, it surprised me to see it.

Your argument here was OK until the last step. That step should say "therefore the words, in this particular case, were being used synonymously." As you actually stated the last step, it's incorrect.

Quote:
No dictionary would say that "propensities" can be used only in the negative sense.

What I said was that Ellen White did not use the terms completely interchangeably. If I meant to say the words weren't synonyms based on the dictionary, I would have said that.

Quote:
But I'm still assuming as true, for the sake of argument, the hypothesis that Ellen White uses it only in the negative sense.

A hypothesis easily verified.

Quote:
Now, what you are proposing is that the negative sense of "propensities" means something different from the negative sense of "tendencies."

Where did I propose this?

Quote:
So please give me the definition of "evil propensities" and the definition of "evil tendencies" and explain to me how and why they are different.

I'll what for your answer to the above question.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #109121
02/27/09 11:59 PM
02/27/09 11:59 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
To "meet and be subject to" what?

Evil tendencies, but internal or external to Him? Evil tendencies which were in His person or in the person of the "human agencies inspired by Satan" who "buffeted" Him?
The answer to the other questions depends on this answer.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109122
02/28/09 12:47 AM
02/28/09 12:47 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: Now, what you are proposing is that the negative sense of "propensities" means something different from the negative sense of "tendencies."
T: Where did I propose this?

In your post # 108988, you said
Quote:
I've seen an EGW reference that said He had evil tendencies, but not evil propensities.

You said in your post #109024:

Quote:
Tendencies is neutral (can be used for either good or bad things) but propensities isn't (at least by EGW; only for bad things), so these terms are not completely interchangeable.

What I understand you to be saying is that they aren't interchangeable when tendencies is used for good things but they are interchangeable when tendencies is used for bad things.

It was on the basis of this argument that I said that since both words were preceded by the adjective "evil," both were being used in a negative sense and so both were synonymous (evidently, in this case). Which is a perfectly logical conclusion, although you have made all that fuss.

But the point is, you said Christ had evil tendencies but not evil propensities. So I understand that you are proposing that "evil tendencies" (negative sense) is not synonymous with "evil propensities." Is that correct?

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #109124
02/28/09 01:07 AM
02/28/09 01:07 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
R: Now, what you are proposing is that the negative sense of "propensities" means something different from the negative sense of "tendencies."
T: Where did I propose this?

R:"I've seen an EGW reference that said He had evil tendencies, but not evil propensities."

I'm just stating what I'd read. This is hardly proposing anything.

Quote:
R:You said in your post #109024:

T:Tendencies is neutral (can be used for either good or bad things) but propensities isn't (at least by EGW; only for bad things), so these terms are not completely interchangeable.

R:What I understand you to be saying is that they aren't interchangeable when tendencies is used for good things but they are interchangeable when tendencies is used for bad things.

It was on the basis of this argument that I said that since both words were preceded by the adjective "evil," both were being used in a negative sense and so in that case both were synonymous. (Which is a perfectly logical conclusion, although you have made all that fuss.)

Maybe you're just being careless in communication. I think what you meant to say is that the phrases "evil tendencies" is the same as "evil propensities." But, instead, you came up with a terribly illogical argument that "propensities" is synonymous with "tendencies."

Here was your argument:

Quote:
Anyway, she added the word “evil” both before “propensity” (in the Baker letter) and before “tendencies” (in the letter to Kellogg). This means that she is using both words in a negative sense, and therefore they are synonymous.

As I've pointed out, this isn't even close to being logically correct. You conclude "therefore they are synonymous." "They" can only refer to the words "tendencies" and "propensities." They may have been used synonymously in a certain instance, but that doesn't mean the words are synonyms.

It's hard to believe you don't understand this.

Quote:
But the point is, you said Christ had evil tendencies but not evil propensities.

Please be accurate! I didn't say this!! I said I had *read* EGW as saying the one thing, and not the other.

Quote:
So I understand that you are proposing that "evil tendencies" is not synonymous with "evil propensities." Is that correct?

No. Bad conclusion. You can conclude I meant what I said, which was that I had never read her speaking of "evil propensities" in relation to Christ, but only of "evil tendencies."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109131
02/28/09 02:22 AM
02/28/09 02:22 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Here was your argument:

Quote:
Anyway, she added the word “evil” both before “propensity” (in the Baker letter) and before “tendencies” (in the letter to Kellogg). This means that she is using both words in a negative sense, and therefore they are synonymous.

As I've pointed out, this isn't even close to being logically correct. You conclude "therefore they are synonymous." "They" can only refer to the words "tendencies" and "propensities." They may have been used synonymously in a certain instance, but that doesn't mean the words are synonyms.

It's hard to believe you don't understand this.

Whether or not "tendencies" and "propensities" are synonymous in all their incarnations in the entire English language is really irrelevant to what we've been discussing. The only thing to settle is if "evil tendencies" in the one EGW quote means the same as the "evil propensities" in the other EGW quote. That's the context of the discussion, and really that's all that needs to be settled. Whether or not the words might mean different things in other contexts doesn't matter because we are not in those contexts.

Now, if we were having a grammar discussion, that would be a different story.

Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
But the point is, you said Christ had evil tendencies but not evil propensities.

Please be accurate! I didn't say this!! I said I had *read* EGW as saying the one thing, and not the other.

Quote:
So I understand that you are proposing that "evil tendencies" is not synonymous with "evil propensities." Is that correct?

No. Bad conclusion. You can conclude I meant what I said, which was that I had never read her speaking of "evil propensities" in relation to Christ, but only of "evil tendencies."

If I drive a "red car," and someone said I drive a "red automobile," is that an inaccurate statement? Most of us would say that it is accurate.

Tendency = inclination
Propensity = inclination

That's the basic definition. Yes, there are nuances in the meaning, especially since propensity is a stronger word (stronger inclination) and it has a negative connotation.

But I think the problem here is with the 2nd definition. Many postlapsarians take the position that "propensity" is not simply an inclination, but also denotes (as opposed to connotes) a succumbing to the inclination. IOW, if you have a strong urge to drink alcohol, but you seal your mouth shut so that it is impossible to drink the alcohol, you have a tendency to drink, but have developed no propensity.

IIRC, that was the argument K. Paulson used to shoo away the Baker Letter. That is, he argued that Jesus did not have evil propensities because He never succumbed to the evil inclinations of His sinful nature. (And then there was that sticky point about us being "born with propensities of disobedience" does not necessarily mean that we are born with evil propensities, since Jesus obviously had no evil propensities. But that's for another time.)

I think that's why Tom can argue for the distinction between "evil propensities" and "evil tendencies." For R and me, it is red car vs red automobile. I can hear it now, "But 'automobile' could be taken to include minivans, sports cars......."

Back to my sermon.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #109132
02/28/09 02:31 AM
02/28/09 02:31 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
In case anyone was wondering, here are some definitions from the 1828 Webster's Dictionary:

Originally Posted By: http://1828.mshaffer.com/d/search/word,inclination
inclination
1. A leaning; any deviation of a body or line from an upright position, or from a parallel line, towards another body; as the inclination of the head in bowing.

2. In geometry, the angle made by two lines or planes that meet; as, the inclination of axis of the earth to the place of the ecliptic is 23 deg.28 feet.

3. A leaning of the mind or will; propension or propensity; a disposition more favorable to one thing than to another. The prince has no inclination to peace. The bachelor has manifested no inclination to marry. Men have a natural inclination to pleasure.

A mere inclination to a thing is not properly a willing of that thing.

4. Love; affection; regard; desire; with for. Some men have an inclination for music, others for painting.

5. Disposition of mind.

6. The dip of the magnetic needle, or its tendency to incline towards the earth; also, the angle made by the needle with the horizon.

7. The act of decanting liquors by stooping or inclining the vessel.

Originally Posted By: http://1828.mshaffer.com/d/search/word,propensity
propensity
1. Bent of mind, natural or acquired; inclination; in a moral sense; disposition to any thing good or evil, particularly to evil; as a propensity to sin; the corrupt propensity of the will.

It requires critical nicety to find out the genius or propensions of a child.

2. Natural tendency; as the propension of bodies to a particular place.

Originally Posted By: http://1828.mshaffer.com/d/search/word,tendency
tendency
Drift; direction or course towards any place, object, effect or result. Read such books only as have a good moral tendency. Mild language has a tendency to allay irritation.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #109169
03/01/09 02:50 AM
03/01/09 02:50 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
If I drive a "red car," and someone said I drive a "red automobile," is that an inaccurate statement? Most of us would say that it is accurate.

I said that I hadn't read of Ellen White using "evil propensities" in relation to Christ, but only of "evil tendencies."

I didn't say anything at all! I simply referred to what I had *read*.

The problem of accuracy didn't have to do with "car" vs. "automobile." It had to do with it being claimed I had said something myself when I said was that I had read something that Ellen White wrote. That's a big difference!

Quote:
IIRC, that was the argument K. Paulson used to shoo away the Baker Letter. That is, he argued that Jesus did not have evil propensities because He never succumbed to the evil inclinations of His sinful nature.

I think this is in harmony with what Ellen White believed, and her contemporaries, although instead of "evil inclinations" I would say something like "hereditary inclinations common to man."

Thanks for the dictionary quotes.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #109197
03/01/09 07:34 PM
03/01/09 07:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
And when the fullness of time was come, He stepped down from His throne of highest command, laid aside His royal robe and kingly crown, clothed His divinity with humanity, and came to this earth to exemplify what humanity must do and be in order to overcome the enemy and to sit with the Father upon His throne. Coming as He did, as a man, to meet and be subject to with all the evil tendencies to which man is heir, working in every conceivable manner to destroy His faith, He made it possible for Himself to be buffeted by human agencies inspired by Satan, the rebel who had been expelled from heaven. (Letter 303, 1903)

1. To "meet and be subject to" what?

2. What are "all the evil tendencies to which man is heir"?

3. What was "working in every conceivable manner to destroy His faith"?

R: To "meet and be subject to" what? Evil tendencies, but internal or external to Him? Evil tendencies which were in His person or in the person of the "human agencies inspired by Satan" who "buffeted" Him? The answer to the other questions depends on this answer.

"Coming as He did, as a man, to meet and be subject to with all the evil tendencies to which man is heir . . ."

In what sense are men, as humans, 1) to meet all the evil tendencies to which man is heir, and 2) to be subject to all the evil tendencies to which man is heir?

Also, in what sense are men "heir" to them (i.e. evil tendencies)? Like a man Jesus dealt with the same issue described here.

And, what is the relationship between the "evil tendencies" and the "human agencies" mentioned above? Are they one and the same things?

Page 41 of 100 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!