HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,180 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 46 of 100 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #109526
03/07/09 02:31 PM
03/07/09 02:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
This means that the "fallen nature" that postlapsarians feel is so important to understand, and many spend their lives studying and teaching it, does not encompass the moral and spiritual nature. In light of the fact that we can only take our characters to the next life, I believe it is better to focus on that which addresses the needs of the moral and spiritual nature.

For someone who believes this, you seem to spend in inordinate amount of time not doing so. I've seen you agree with me on concepts involving God's character, such as how seeing God as He is motivates us to follow Him, demonstrates the falsehood of the enemy's claims, etc.

Quote:
It is the darkness of misapprehension of God that is enshrouding the world. Men are losing their knowledge of His character. It has been misunderstood and misinterpreted. At this time a message from God is to be proclaimed, a message illuminating in its influence and saving in its power. His character is to be made known. Into the darkness of the world is to be shed the light of His glory, the light of His goodness, mercy, and truth.

This is the work outlined by the prophet Isaiah in the words, "O Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God! Behold, the Lord God will come with strong hand, and His arm shall rule for Him; behold, His reward is with Him, and His work before Him." Isa. 40:9,10.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love. (COL 415)

There's a dearth of understanding of this. Why not help people out and do posts which explain these concepts?

Quote:
My previously-mentioned friend asked me if I believe that a last-generation movement to prepare a people with perfect characters, should NOT have Christ's fallen nature as a major focus (obviously referring to LGT). I said, "Yes." How can you perfect character by focusing on that which does not address the moral and spiritual nature?

There is a connection. I don't like the LGT emphasis, but if you consider the emphasis of Jones, Prescott, and Waggoner, I like that emphasis very much. So did Ellen White.

Jones started his 1895 sermons regarding Christ's taking our fallen nature by explaining Christ did so in order to reveal God to us. Now *that* (the revelation of God) is certainly pertinent to the perfecting of character, and is focusing on that which impacts the spiritual and moral natures.

Waggoner had the same idea:

Quote:
In the first verse of the third chapter of Hebrews we have an exhortation which comprehends all the injunctions given to the Christian. It is this: "Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus." To do this as the Bible enjoins, to consider Christ continually and intelligently, just as He is, will transform one into a perfect Christian, for "by beholding we become changed."(Christ and His Righteousness)

Ellen White wrote the following of Prescott's sermon "The Word Became Flesh"

Quote:
In the evening Professor Prescott gave a most valuable lesson, precious as gold. The tent was full, and many stood outside. All seemed to be fascinated with the word, as he presented the truth in lines so new to those not of our faith. Truth was separated from error, and made, by the divine Spirit, to shine like precious jewels. It was shown that perfect obedience to all the commandments of God is essential for the salvation of souls. Obedience to the laws of God's kingdom reveals the divine in the human, sanctifying the character.(RH 1/7/96)

The interesting thing about this endorsement is that the theme of Prescott's sermon was that Christ took our sinful flesh and how important that is to us. Ellen White, in endorsing the sermon, explained "It was shown that perfect obedience to all the commandments of God is essential for the salvation of souls. Obedience to the laws of God's kingdom reveals the divine in the human, sanctifying the character."

So that Christ took our sinful flesh is certainly relevant as far as the formation of character is concerned, from Ellen White's perspective.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #109527
03/07/09 02:35 PM
03/07/09 02:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
If you didn't before, you just did in your next breath. See below.

Not really. My questions were designed to draw out your thinking. (You'll notice these were questions, not assertions).

Quote:
T:Why not? What do you think "the working of the great law of heredity, which is shown in the results of His earthly ancestors" means?

A:Unless you believe that the impact of sin does not encompass the moral and spiritual nature, it is not part of the "heredity" you speak of.

I still don't know the answer to my question. What do you think "the working of the great law of heredity, which is shown in the results of His earthly ancestors" means?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #109531
03/07/09 04:06 PM
03/07/09 04:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, I get the impression from reading your posts that you believe the human nature Jesus had while here in the flesh differs significantly from ours in that He didn't have to recognize or resist hereditary sinful inclinations (tendencies, propensities), that all of the temptations He overcame originated outside of Him, that not once was He ever tempted from within like we are, and that the reason He had a human nature so significantly different than ours is due to the fact having such a nature makes one guilty, that it inherently corrupts and contaminates, and as such it would have disqualified Jesus from serving as our Savior and Substitute.

Is this what you believe?

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #109535
03/07/09 07:08 PM
03/07/09 07:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
She has said in the past that she believes Jesus' temptations only came from outside, as suggestions from Satan I think. Also I believe she's said that the only difficulty Christ had overcoming them had to do with trickery. (i.e., the essence of the temptations was Satan's trying to trick Christ, and His difficulty was in not being tricked).

I'm butting in here in case I'm remembering wrong, she can clarify.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #109589
03/08/09 07:28 PM
03/08/09 07:28 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Rosangela, I get the impression from reading your posts that you believe the human nature Jesus had while here in the flesh differs significantly from ours in that He didn't have to recognize or resist hereditary sinful inclinations (tendencies, propensities), that all of the temptations He overcame originated outside of Him, that not once was He ever tempted from within like we are, and that the reason He had a human nature so significantly different than ours is due to the fact having such a nature makes one guilty, that it inherently corrupts and contaminates, and as such it would have disqualified Jesus from serving as our Savior and Substitute.

Is this what you believe?

Yes, Mike, this is what I believe. Ellen White equates temptations from within (as opposed to temptations from without) with inward corruption, inward sin, indwelling sin, a deceitful heart, none of which I believe Christ possessed. An outward temptation does not necessarily contaminate, but an inward temptation already arises from contamination, and that's why it's already a sin.

What a warning to keep the grace of Christ ever in their heart, to battle with inward corruptions and outward temptations! {CC 197.2}

They should mourn over their inclination to sin, over the danger they are in from inward corruption and from outward temptation. They should be afraid because they have so feeble a sense of the sinfulness of sin, and so little idea of what constitutes sin. {YI, February 15, 1894 par. 3}

But she is now in danger through inward corruption and outward temptation. Satan is playing the game of life for her soul, and he has every advantage for winning the game. {5T 507.2}

As long as life shall last, there is need of guarding the affections and the passions with a firm purpose. There is inward corruption, there are outward temptations, and wherever the work of God shall be advanced, Satan plans so to arrange circumstances that temptation shall come with overpowering force upon the soul. {RY 178.5}

What a lesson for all who desire to save their souls to watch unto prayer continually! What a warning to keep the grace of Christ ever in their heart, to battle with inward corruptions and outward temptations! -- 2BC 1031,1032. {RY 182.1}

You are in danger from corruption within and temptation without. There are evil habits and traits of character which are constantly inclining you to selfishness and weakness of principle. {RH, January 20, 1885 par. 3}

In the battle with inward corruptions and outward temptations, even the wise and powerful Solomon was vanquished. {RH, February 22, 1906 par. 2}

In the battle with inward sin and outward temptation, even the wise and powerful Solomon was vanquished. {PK 82.2}

When piety is left out of the heart, the people of God separate from the source of their strength, and pride, vanity, extravagance, and display follow. There are idols within and idols without; but God sends the Holy Spirit as the reprover of sin, that his people may be warned of their apostasy, and rebuked for their backsliding. {NPU Gleaner, April 21, 1909 par. 5}

whatever tends to draw the mind from the love of Jesus, whether it be the deceitful heart within or an ensnaring world without, is of Satan, and will bring darkness and death. {ST, June 5, 1884 par. 9}

In what consisted the strength of the assault made upon Adam, which caused his fall? It was not his indwelling sin; for God made Adam after His own character, pure and upright. There were no corrupt principles in the first Adam, no corrupt propensities of tendencies to evil. {16MR 86.2}

Christ desires nothing so much as to redeem His heritage from the dominion of Satan. But before we are delivered from Satan's power without, we must be delivered from his power within. The Lord permits trials in order that we may be cleansed from earthliness, from selfishness, from harsh, unchristlike traits of character. {COL 174.3}

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #109590
03/08/09 08:08 PM
03/08/09 08:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
If a temptation from within corrupted, how could she make the statements like the ones speaking of the 144,000 standing before God without a mediator?

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109591
03/08/09 08:10 PM
03/08/09 08:10 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
I'm not sure about whether Christ's imputed righteousness will cease to be applied to us at that time. However, Ellen White says clearly that sinful tendencies can be transformed and cut off from the soul. If this work will ever be completely accomplished in someone, it is in the 144,000.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #109592
03/08/09 08:32 PM
03/08/09 08:32 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Then you must think one of the following two things?

1.We don't receive an temptations from the flesh that are passed genetically (i.e., no hereditary inclinations to sin which can tempt us).

2.We do receive hereditary inclinations to sin, but these can be "cut off from the soul," which must mean that they no longer tempt us.

So, if 2 is the case, you must believe that the 144,000 cannot be tempted from within. Logically, I assume you also believe that as we progress in our walk with Christ that temptations become easier and easier, since the difficult inward ones get rooted out.

Regarding the righteousness of Christ, there's a work which Christ does in the sanctuary, which involves mediating for this inward corruption you speak of. Since Christ stops His mediating work, there must not be any inward corruption to mediate for.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109612
03/09/09 02:20 AM
03/09/09 02:20 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
My option is #2.

I differ with you that the really difficult temptations are the inward ones. Some of the temptations of the last days (the greatest ones of all times) are the “strong, almost overmastering delusion” of Satan’s impersonation of Christ, the miracle-working power of demons, the pressure to transgress the fourth commandment, the mental distress caused by Satan to make God's children renounce their trust in God. As far as I know, none of these has to do with inward corruptions.

Regarding the righteousness of Christ, was it applied to God's children in OT times, before the inauguration of the heavenly sanctuary? It seems this was the case, so I don't see any problem if the same happens after Christ's mediation in the heavenly sanctuary ceases. However, maybe there isn't a need for it.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #109615
03/09/09 12:33 PM
03/09/09 12:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas

Quote:
I differ with you that the really difficult temptations are the inward ones.

Which have been your hardest temptations?

Quote:
Regarding the righteousness of Christ, was it applied to God's children in OT times, before the inauguration of the heavenly sanctuary? It seems this was the case, so I don't see any problem if the same happens after Christ's mediation in the heavenly sanctuary ceases. However, maybe there isn't a need for it.

Ellen White speaks of the prayers of the saints being purified by the mediation of Christ because they pass through corrupt channels, so the implication is that it's needed. If what corrupts were a sinful nature, then it's difficult to see how Christ could stop. So we can conclude that a sinful nature does not corrupt, since the sinful nature won't go away.

Your suggestion appears to be that being tempted from within is what corrupts, so we must get to the point to where we are no longer tempted from within. Don't know if you're familiar with this American slang, but "Good luck with that!"

Going on with your idea, what happens if your theology is wrong, and one really is tempted from within simply because of having a sinful nature? It seems there's a danger here in misinterpreting temptations from within as sin, and wanting to have cut away from one's being something which cannot be cut away.

Page 46 of 100 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!