HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 47 of 100 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109621
03/09/09 02:12 PM
03/09/09 02:12 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: I differ with you that the really difficult temptations are the inward ones.
T: Which have been your hardest temptations?

Rarely do I have hard temptations. I'm usually bothered by things I shouldn't do but have already done - that is, by a word I shouldn't have said, by a thought I shouldn't have had, by a selfish attitude I shouldn't have exhibited, etc. As Ellen White says,

Temptations from without find an answering chord within the heart, and the feet turn imperceptibly toward evil. {MH 451.2}

I don't consider this to be a real temptation, for I didn't really have the option to choose whether I would yield to it or not; it was something automatical, and everything I can do is to confess the sin after having committed it. Why is that? Because of my inward corruption. But what I have verified during all those years of my Christian walk is that the closer we are to Christ, the rarer this kind of occurrence becomes.

Now, I consider a real temptation to be when I have a choice and have to decide, like, Will I lie, or do something illicit, to escape this difficult situation, or to obtain that advantage? Will I compromise my principles in order not to displease this person, or in order not to be ridiculed, or mistreated, or persecuted? These, to me, are real temptations, hard temptations.

Quote:
Ellen White speaks of the prayers of the saints being purified by the mediation of Christ because they pass through corrupt channels, so the implication is that it's needed. If what corrupts were a sinful nature, then it's difficult to see how Christ could stop. So we can conclude that a sinful nature does not corrupt, since the sinful nature won't go away.

We don't have enough elements to discuss this. I don't know how the several factors which are included in the sinful nature exactly affect us. We know that besides the sinful tendencies there is also a problem with the will. So, although Ellen White does say that sinful tendencies can be eliminated from the life on this earth, she doesn't say our sinful nature will be removed before Christ's coming. Therefore, although the 144,000 are a special group, I'm not sure how things will exactly work in relation to them.
One thing, however, is certain - Ellen White speaks of inward corruption and inward sin as opposed to outward temptation. So yes, I believe that inward temptations corrupt.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #109623
03/09/09 03:06 PM
03/09/09 03:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Will I compromise my principles in order not to displease this person, or in order not to be ridiculed, or mistreated, or persecuted?

You don't think having a sinful nature makes these temptations more difficult?

Quote:
We don't have enough elements to discuss this. I don't know how the several factors which are included in the sinful nature exactly affect us. We know that besides the sinful tendencies there is also a problem with the will. So, although Ellen White does say that sinful tendencies can be eliminated from the life on this earth, she doesn't say our sinful nature will be removed before Christ's coming.

So you think the genetically transferred inclinations we have can be eliminated? You also think Christ's assumed sinful nature came with these genetically transferred inclinations pre-eliminated? (i.e., Christ didn't have to deal with these, since He never had them).

Quote:
Therefore, although the 144,000 are a special group, I'm not sure how things will exactly work in relation to them.

One thing, however, is certain - Ellen White speaks of inward corruption and inward sin as opposed to outward temptation. So yes, I believe that inward temptations corrupt.

What you believe seems similar to the Holy Flesh idea. They believed:

a.Christ came in the nature of Adam before the fall.
b.He would have been sinful otherwise.
c.We need to be like Christ to be a part of the 144,000.
d.Therefore we need to be rid of our sinful nature.

You believe:

a.Christ came with a nature which did not tempt Him from within.
d.Therefore we need to be rid of temptations from within.

It terms of substance, this idea seems the same as the Holy Flesh idea. The terminology is different (they spoke of "sinful nature" and "the nature of Adam before the fall" whereas you speak of "temptations from within"), and, of course, you don't have the idea of a fanatical experience they had to purge our nature, seeing that these inward temptations fall by the wayside as we are sanctified. You haven't said this, but I'm inferring it, as I don't see what the alternative would be (by "this" I mean that our inward temptations fall by the wayside as we are sanctified).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109624
03/09/09 03:10 PM
03/09/09 03:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, thank you for answering my question. And, thank you for stating your position clearly. The idea that we can reach a point where we are no longer tempted from within sounds wonderful. Ellen wrote, "It is the privilege of every believer in Christ to possess Christ's nature, a nature far above that which Adam forfeited by transgression." {UL 18.3} She also observed:

Quote:
The higher attributes of His being it is our privilege to have, if we will, through the provisions He has made, appropriate these blessings and diligently cultivate the good in the place of the evil. We have reason, conscience, memory, will, affections--all the attributes a human being can possess. Through the provision made when God and the Son of God made a covenant to rescue man from the bondage of Satan, every facility was provided that human nature should come into union with His divine nature. In such a nature was our Lord tempted. He could have yielded to Satan's lying suggestions as did Adam, but we should adore and glorify the Lamb of God that He did not in a single point yield one jot or one tittle. {3SM 130.2}

Through being partakers of the divine nature we may stand pure and holy and undefiled. The Godhead was not made human, and the human was not deified by the blending together of the two natures. Christ did not possess the same sinful, corrupt, fallen disloyalty we possess, for then He could not be a perfect offering. {3SM 131.1}

We should have no misgivings in regard to the perfect sinlessness of the human nature of Christ. {FLB 49.2}

He is a brother in our infirmities, but not in possessing like passions. As the sinless One, His nature recoiled from evil. He endured struggles and torture of soul in a world of sin. His humanity made prayer a necessity and privilege. {FLB 49.3}

He could have sinned; He could have fallen, but not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity. {FLB 49.4}

In taking upon Himself man's nature in its fallen condition, Christ did not in the least participate in its sin. He was subject to the infirmities and weaknesses by which man is encompassed. . . . He was touched with the feeling of our infirmities, and was in all points tempted like as we are. And yet He "knew no sin." He was the lamb "without blemish and without spot." Could Satan in the least particular have tempted Christ to sin, he would have bruised the Saviour's head. As it was, he could only touch His heel. Had the head of Christ been touched, the hope of the human race would have perished. Divine wrath would have come upon Christ as it came upon Adam. Christ and the church would have been without hope. {FLB 49.5}

Not even by a thought could Christ be brought to yield to the power of temptation. . . . Christ declared of Himself, "The prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me." {FLB 49.6}

Jesus did not allow the enemy to pull Him into the mire of unbelief, or crowd Him into the mire of despondency and despair. {FLB 49.7}

Christ's humanity was united with divinity, and in this strength He would bear all the temptations that Satan could bring against Him, and yet keep His soul untainted by sin. And this power to overcome He would give to every son and daughter of Adam who would accept by faith the righteous attributes of His character. {FLB 49.8}

So, if I'm hearing you right, and I hope I am because it sounds so thoroughly amazing and awesome, we can expect to reach a point where our nature ceases to be sinful, where, like Jesus' human nature, it is free of any and all inward corruption, free of the hereditary evil propensities (inclinations, tendencies) which war against us, which tempt us to sin. "We should have no misgivings in regard to the perfect sinlessness of the human nature of" Mike, Tom, and Rosangela.

1. When do people reach this point? What saith the Lord?

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109628
03/09/09 04:31 PM
03/09/09 04:31 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: Will I compromise my principles in order not to displease this person, or in order not to be ridiculed, or mistreated, or persecuted?
T: You don't think having a sinful nature makes these temptations more difficult?

It seems temptation has to do with character, and the more exalted the character, the more difficult the temptation:

The temptations that he [Christ] endured were as much more severe than those which come upon us as his character is more exalted than ours. {RH, March 9, 1886 par. 13}

Quote:
So you think the genetically transferred inclinations we have can be eliminated?

Ellen White says that faith works by love and "purifies the soul from all objectionable tendencies, hereditary and cultivated" {ST, May 10, 1910 par. 9}. She also says that "the tendencies which have been biased in a wrong direction are turned in a right direction." {6BC 1080.5}

Quote:
What you believe seems similar to the Holy Flesh idea.

No, because I'm speaking about sinful tendencies, not sinful nature. Sinful nature seems to encompass more than just sinful tendencies.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #109629
03/09/09 04:38 PM
03/09/09 04:38 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
1. When do people reach this point? What saith the Lord?

Well, Mike, all we know is that even the 144,000 "can see little good [in their whole lives]. ... They are fully conscious of their weakness and unworthiness." {GC 618, 619}

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #109646
03/09/09 08:21 PM
03/09/09 08:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
R: Will I compromise my principles in order not to displease this person, or in order not to be ridiculed, or mistreated, or persecuted?
T: You don't think having a sinful nature makes these temptations more difficult?

R:It seems temptation has to do with character, and the more exalted the character, the more difficult the temptation:

The temptations that he [Christ] endured were as much more severe than those which come upon us as his character is more exalted than ours. {RH, March 9, 1886 par. 13}

Because of His exalted character, He was able to resist more difficult temptations. This doesn't address the issue of temptations being more difficult because of having a sinful nature. Isn't it simple logic that having sinful natures makes temptations more difficult? The only alternatives would be that it makes temptations easier, or has no impact. I can't imagine how anyone who has a sinful nature would say that having such a nature has no impact on one.

Quote:
T:So you think the genetically transferred inclinations we have can be eliminated?

R:Ellen White says that faith works by love and "purifies the soul from all objectionable tendencies, hereditary and cultivated" {ST, May 10, 1910 par. 9}. She also says that "the tendencies which have been biased in a wrong direction are turned in a right direction." {6BC 1080.5}

The soul is purified, but we don't change genetically. Or is this what you think?

It seems to me there's only two possibilities here, if you're going to take the position that she means that hereditary tendencies are removed:

1.We don't receive any tendencies genetically.
2.The tendencies we receive genetically are removed.

The first would be possible if hereditary tendencies are not referring to genetic tendencies (such as pre-natal, etc.)

Quote:
T:What you believe seems similar to the Holy Flesh idea.

R:No, because I'm speaking about sinful tendencies, not sinful nature. Sinful nature seems to encompass more than just sinful tendencies.

This seems like just a semantic difference, not one of substance.

For example:

Holy Flesh

a.Christ came in the nature of Adam before the fall.
d.Therefore we need to be rid of our sinful nature.

You:

a.Christ came with a nature which did not tempt Him from within.
d.Therefore we need to be rid of temptations from within.

You agree with a-d, don't you? If not, please correct my list, as I don't wish to misrepresent your thought.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109647
03/09/09 09:23 PM
03/09/09 09:23 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Tom
T:So you think the genetically transferred inclinations we have can be eliminated?

R:Ellen White says that faith works by love and "purifies the soul from all objectionable tendencies, hereditary and cultivated" {ST, May 10, 1910 par. 9}. She also says that "the tendencies which have been biased in a wrong direction are turned in a right direction." {6BC 1080.5}

T: The soul is purified, but we don't change genetically. Or is this what you think?

It seems to me there's only two possibilities here, if you're going to take the position that she means that hereditary tendencies are removed:

1.We don't receive any tendencies genetically.
2.The tendencies we receive genetically are removed.

Tom, I wish I had more time to comment here, but here is what I learn while researching with someone passionate with genetics.

Basically, when we are born it is proven that a lot of mental disposition(brain neuron connection) can be transferred to offsprings: so we can inherit our parents fears, hates, personalities, musical aptitude, etc... So of course, once a newborn, environmental triggers will strenghten these neurological pathways.

So the way I see what Rosangela & SOP is saying is that, once you become born again Christian these inherit and well-exercised, or even new bad pathways will not be excercised as much. A new "spirit" will habit the mind and with time these old sin oriented neuro pathways will be less employed and these connection to those memories, habits, will be removed. The mind is very "plastic" and if we have Jesus "spirit" living in us, new connections will be formed and we will become a new creature in Christ. The body is the same, but our mind will be transformed, renewed. Only Christ spirit can truly change these sinful inherit or cultivated neural pathways.

Sinful impulses and habits mainly comes from the mind (strong neuro-connection).

I agree with Rosangela, exterior temptation is far greather than interior temptation. Because Christ was God, he was tempted far greather than any man on earth.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places]." Gal 6:12

Blessings
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Elle] #109654
03/10/09 01:55 AM
03/10/09 01:55 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Just a quickie.

I think it's time to review a couple of my old posts on the source of Christ's temptations.

First, the explanation: primary source of Christ's temptations

Then, the mathematical proof: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #109665
03/10/09 12:32 PM
03/10/09 12:32 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Salut Arnold,

I did go read your posts. And I agree with you and find this topic very important for us to understand properly and differentiate between our nature and Christ nature. I don't claim I know this for I just started to reflect on this matter on my own and do want to be corrected if I stray from the Truth. I understand that you went over and over this topics with the same people again and again. So I hope you can bear with someone new and I will go read some pass post to save you some typing.

What I've expressed is what I know versus genetics and I'm trying to relate it with what Rosangela shared.

Did you flag me because you thought I was advocating "holy flesh" theory? I don't believe in that. As far as I know from genetics; it's not possible. If you bring Adam or Eve here to live in our hostile environment I don't think they would survive long; because genetically they are not equipped to handle the pollution and germs, and degradation of foods and other environmental differences when comparing Eden to Today. It took thousands of years of adaptation. So I don't believe we ever can have a “holy flesh” if you take that term as perfect genetic makeup as Adam and Eve. That’s why the Bible says that we will be changed at the 2nd coming and brought to Heaven in a perfect environment.

So I agree, that we will have our “sinful flesh”. Till then, I believe that the spirit of God dwelling in us, will give us power to choose God’s way, and then by abiding in Jesus, will make physical changes in our minds by making different neuro connected pathways when experiencing victories in sins as we submit to His will. These can be internal or external "MORAL" victories which the experience mostly happen in our brain via exercising submitting our will to God's Will. These victories are registered in our brain. Right? To resist the strong external moral temptation will be engaging the same neuro pathways by submiting our will.

So go ahead, correct me and go right to the point.

Blessings
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Elle] #109669
03/10/09 01:34 PM
03/10/09 01:34 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I'm reminded of the following:

Christ gave Himself for our sins, "that He might deliver us from this present evil world." He will take from us that which He bought, which is our sinfulness. In so doing, He delivers us from this "present evil world." That shows us that "this present evil world" is nothing but our own sinful selves. It is "the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life." 1Joh.2:16. We ourselves make all the evil there is in the world. It is man that has made the world evil. "By one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned." Rom.5:12. We need not try to throw the blame upon somebody else; we ourselves provide all the evil that can possibly injure us.

The story is told of a man whose besetting sin was a violent temper. He would frequently become very angry, but he laid all the blame upon the people with whom he lived, who were so exasperating. Nobody, he declared, could do right among such people. So he resolved, as many others have done, to "leave the world," and become a hermit. He chose a cave in the forest for his dwelling-place, far from any other human habitation. In the morning he took his jug to a spring near by to get water for his morning meal. The rock was moss-grown, and the continual flow of water had made it very slippery. As he set his jug down under the stream, it slid away. He put it back, and again it was driven away. Two or three times was this repeated, and each time the replacing of the jug was done with increasing energy. Finally the hermit's patience was utterly exhausted, and exclaiming, "I'll see if you'll not stay!" he picked the vessel up and set it down with such vehemence that it was broken to pieces. There was nobody to blame but himself, and he had the good sense to see that it was not the world around him but the world inside of him that made him sin. Doubtless very many can recognize some experience of their own in this little story.

Luther, in his monk's cell, whither he had gone to escape from the world, found his sins more grievous than ever. Wherever we go, we carry the world with us; we have it in our hearts and on our backs,--a heavy, crushing load. We find that when we would do good, "evil is present" with us. Rom.7:21. It is present, always, "this present evil world," until, goaded to despair, we cry out, "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from this body of death?" Even Christ found His greatest temptations in the desert, far away from human habitations. All these things teach us that hermits and monks are not in God's plan. God's people are the salt of the earth; and salt, no matter how good it is, is of no use if shut up in a box; it must be mingled with that which is to be preserved. (The Glad Tidings, E. J. Waggoner)

Also this:

Has Christ, then, descended to our world and to our level, and in our place obtained complete victory over "the world," only in order that He may sit on the right hand of the Majesty on high, and taunt us with our failures in struggling against sin?--God forbid. Says jesus, "Be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." Now "all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world." 1 John 2:16. In overcoming the world, then, Christ overcame "the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life,"--all things which are "not of the Father."

The world which Christ overcame was in His flesh. (E. J. Hibbard; The Two Laws)

Page 47 of 100 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!