HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,180 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 48 of 100 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109670
03/10/09 01:50 PM
03/10/09 01:50 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The flaw in the mathematical argument is that it is assumed that Jesus' "external" temptations were independent of his internal ones, or of any hereditary influence. The hereditary aspects could serve as a catalyst where, without the hereditary inclinations, the strength of the temptation could be negligible, but with them they become incredibly strong. So Jesus' temptations are more than 100 times as strong as anyone else's because of the combination of the particular external temptations He had in combination with the hereditary inclinations He had.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109671
03/10/09 02:09 PM
03/10/09 02:09 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Elle, the way the subject was present in the 1890's was like this:

a)We have hereditary inclinations (i.e. sinful flesh)
b)Christ came in sinful flesh and overcame by faith, serving as our example and preparing the way for us to do likewise.

This theology was taught by Jones, Waggoner, Prescott and others, as well as endorsed by Ellen White (and taught by her as well, but I'll mention this parenthetically, as this is a point under dispute, whereas the non-parenthetical portion would be accepted by all, I'm pretty sure.)

For example, Ellen White endorsed the following sermon (this is the first part of the sermon, maybe the first third or fourth):

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.""And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us." The Revised Version says, "The Word became flesh." The theme of redemption will be the science and the song of the eternal ages, and well may it occupy our minds during our short stay here. There is no portion of this great theme that makes such a demand upon our minds in order to appreciate it in any degree, as the
subject we shall study to-night,—"The Word became flesh, and dwelt among us." Through Him all things became; now He Himself became. He who had all glory with the Father, now lays aside His glory and becomes flesh. He lays aside His divine mode of existence, and takes
the human mode of existence, and God becomes manifest in the flesh. This truth is the very foundation of all truth.

A HELPFUL TRUTH

And Jesus Christ becoming flesh. God being manifest in the flesh, is one of the most helpful truths, one of the most instructive truths, the truth above all truths, which humanity ought to rejoice in. I desire this evening to study this question for our personal, present benefit. Let us command our minds to the utmost, because to comprehend that the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, demands all our mental powers. Let us consider, first, what kind of flesh; for this is the very foundation of this question as it relates to us personally. "Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, He also Himself likewise took part of the same; that through death He might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; and deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. For verily He took not on Him the nature of angels; but He took on Him the seed of Abraham. Wherefore in all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren, that He might bea merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. For in chat He Himself hath suffered, being tempted, He is able to succour them that are tempted." Heb. 2:14-18. That through death, being made subject to death, taking upon Him the flesh of sin, He might, by His dying, destroy him that had the power of death. "Verily He took not on Him the nature of angels; but He took on Him the seed of Abraham." The margin says, "He taketh not hold of angels, but of the seed of Abraham He taketh hold;" and one version reads, "He helps not angels." We see the reason from the next verse:"Wherefore in all things it behoved Him to be made like unto His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful high priest, in things pertaining to God." "Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, and to thy seed, which is Christ." Gal. 3:16. Now verily, He helps the seed of Abraham by Himself becoming the seed of Abraham. God, sending His own

Adam was the representative of the family; therefore his sin was
a representative sin. When Jesus Christ came, He came to take the
place in which Adam had failed. "And so it is written. The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit." 1 Cor. 14:45. The second Adam is the man Christ Jesus, and He came down to unite the human family with the divine family. God is spoken of as the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named. Jesus Christ, the Son of the living God, came Himself to this part of the family, that He might win it back again, that there might be a —

REUNITED FAMILY IN THE KINGDOM OF GOD.

He came and took the flesh of sin that this family had brought upon itself by sin, and wrought out salvation for them, condemning sin in the flesh.

Adam failed in his place, and by the offence of one many were made sinners. Jesus Christ gave Himself, not only for us, but to us, uniting Himself to the family, in order that He might take the place of the first Adam, and as head of the family win back what was lost by the first Adam. The righteousness of Jesus Christ is a representative righteousness, just as the sin of Adam was a representative sin, and Jesus Christ, as the second Adam, gathered to Himself the whole family.

But since the first Adam took his place, there has been a change, and humanity is sinful humanity. The power of righteousness has been lost. To redeem man from the place into which he had fallen, Jesus Christ comes, and takes the very flesh now borne by humanity; He comes in sinful flesh, and takes the case where Adam tried it and failed. He became, not a man, but He became flesh; He became human, and gathered all humanity unto Himself, embraced it in His own infinite mind, and stood as the representative of the whole human family.

Adam was tempted at the very first on the question of appetite. Christ came, and after a forty days' fast the devil tempted Him to use His divine power to feed Himself. And notice, it was in sinful flesh that He was tempted, not the flesh in which Adam fell. This is wondrous truth, but I am wondrous glad that it is so. It follows at once that by birth, l4by being born into the same family, Jesus Christ is my brother in the flesh, "for which cause He is not ashamed to call them brethren." Heb. 2:11. He has come into the family, identified Himself with the family, is both father of the family and brother of the family. As father of the family, He stands for the family. He came to redeem the family, condemning sin in the flesh, uniting divinity with flesh of sin. Jesus Christ made the connection between God and man, that the divine spirit might rest upon humanity. He made the way for humanity...

Now the interesting thing about the endorsement is that Ellen White saw Prescott's sermon in terms of obedience, even though he was actually speaking of Christ's taking our flesh.

Quote:
In the evening Professor Prescott gave a most valuable lesson, precious as gold. The tent was full, and many stood outside. All seemed to be fascinated with the word, as he presented the truth in lines so new to those not of our faith. Truth was separated from error, and made, by the divine Spirit, to shine like precious jewels. It was shown that perfect obedience to all the commandments of God is essential for the salvation of souls. Obedience to the laws of God's kingdom reveals the divine in the human, sanctifying the character.(RH 1/7/96)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109680
03/10/09 05:48 PM
03/10/09 05:48 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Because of His exalted character, He was able to resist more difficult temptations. This doesn't address the issue of temptations being more difficult because of having a sinful nature. Isn't it simple logic that having sinful natures makes temptations more difficult? The only alternatives would be that it makes temptations easier, or has no impact. I can't imagine how anyone who has a sinful nature would say that having such a nature has no impact on one.

The temptation is not more difficult, it's you who have less moral power to resist it - two different things. Besides, as I said in the past, the power of a temptation depends on a combination of factors.
A sinful tendency already presupposes a sinful desire. You are already bent on a sinful direction. Even if you don't accomplish the act, you will think, "I won't do that but I would like to," and so you have already sinned. Like my tendency for romantic fiction (soap operas). Out of a sense of Christian duty, I many times resisted the temptation to watch soap operas, but I had the desire to watch them.

"But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire" (James 1:14).

The word "desire" here is from the Greek epithumea, which is translated as "covetousness" in Rom. 7:7.

"It is true that Christ at one time said of himself, 'The prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.' John 14:30. Satan finds in human hearts some point where he can gain a foothold; some sinful desire is cherished, by means of which his temptations assert their power. But he could find nothing in the Son of God that would enable him to gain the victory. Jesus did not consent to sin. Not even by a thought could he be brought to the power of Satan's temptations." {GCB, February 25, 1895 par. 6}

The tenth commandment strikes at the very root of all sins, prohibiting the selfish desire, from which springs the sinful act. {PP 309.5}

Quote:
The soul is purified, but we don't change genetically. Or is this what you think?

How are pre-natal (non-genetical, as you call them, as opposed to "genetical") tendencies transmitted? I think all tendencies are transmitted in the same way. And if the former can be removed from the life, so can the latter.
I found Elle's explanation very interesting.

Quote:
T:What you believe seems similar to the Holy Flesh idea.
R:No, because I'm speaking about sinful tendencies, not sinful nature. Sinful nature seems to encompass more than just sinful tendencies.
T: This seems like just a semantic difference, not one of substance.

It's not a semantic difference. There seems to be more than one factor in the sinful nature. For instance, EGW says about the will:

The unaided human will has no real power to resist and overcome evil. The defenses of the soul are broken down. Man has no barrier against sin. When once the restraints of God's word and His Spirit are rejected, we know not to what depths one may sink. MH 428

She says about Christ:

Jesus Christ is our example in all things. He began life, passed through its experiences, and ended its record, with a sanctified human will. He was tempted in all points like as we are, and yet because he kept his will surrendered and sanctified, he never bent in the slightest degree toward the doing of evil, or toward manifesting rebellion against God. {ST, October 29, 1894 par. 7}

We don't begin life with a sanctified human will; our will is sanctified only at the new birth. However, maybe Christ's "unaided human will," like ours (and differently from that of Adam), had "no real power to resist and overcome evil." Maybe this was the case.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109681
03/10/09 05:50 PM
03/10/09 05:50 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Tom, I respect your opinion and don't agree with your emphasis of "b)". To me, I strongly am incline to believe that Jesus was very different from us from birth and plus with what scripture says about he was made in the "likeness" of sinful flesh. Plus Jesus was fully God.

I agree with Arnold when he says none of us have had half of the genetic makeup come from the Holy Spirit. The mystery of his incarnation is not reveal to us, but we do know the basic and He was different from us from Birth.

Originally Posted By: Bible
Luke 1:35 The angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God.
Gen. 1:26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness;
Rom. 8:3 For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh,

Also I like the way Rosangela presents it. To me it seems to be in harmony with scripture and SOP. And, who am I to say anything; I've just started trying to sort these up.

Blessings
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Elle] #109702
03/11/09 04:28 AM
03/11/09 04:28 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, I respect your opinion and don't agree with your emphasis of "b)".

This was the emphasis of Ellen White, W. W. Prescott, Jones, Waggoner, and the church as a whole for 100 years. It wasn't until the middle of the last century that there was even any discussion regarding this, save the Holy Flesh controversy.

Regarding Christ being different from at birth, yes, all the above, and I also, agree with this. He was divine, and He had a sinless nature. As the Spirit of Prophecy puts it, Christ took upon His own sinless nature our sinful nature. So this makes Him different than us from birth. However, the human nature He took was perfectly identical with our own.

Quote:
As God He could not be tempted, but as a man He could be tempted, and that strongly, and could yield to the temptations. His human nature must pass through the same test and trial Adam and Eve passed through. His human nature was created; it did not even possess the angelic powers. It was human, identical with our own. (CT 213)

Quote:
Bear in mind that Christ's overcoming and obedience is that of a true human being. In our conclusions, we make many mistakes because of our erroneous views of the human nature of our Lord. When we give to His human nature a power that it is not possible for man to have in his conflicts with Satan, we destroy the completeness of His humanity.(3SM 139)

This is exactly what I see happening here. Christ is given a fictitious human nature with special powers, powers we do not have, which cannot help but hurt our experience. Why? Because it causes, in our minds, a division between us and Christ.

The emphasis of the 1888 messengers was on a Savior who was "touched with our feelings." Heb. 4 (end of chapter) through Heb. 5 (beginning of chapter) present a Savior who is able to have compassion upon His fellow and give them help in time of need, because He passed through the same difficulties. If we do not grasp this, we won't perceive His compassion and won't ask for His help (at least, not as Paul had in mind in Hebrews).

Also the idea that temptations from within, which come to us through heredity (genetically), can be removed is, IMO, extremely dangerous.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109725
03/11/09 04:30 PM
03/11/09 04:30 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
This is exactly what I see happening here. Christ is given a fictitious human nature with special powers, powers we do not have, which cannot help but hurt our experience. Why? Because it causes, in our minds, a division between us and Christ.

This is not true at all. Temptation is not different for sinless and sinful beings. Human beings, whether sinless or sinful, are always tempted in three key areas, and if your lack of moral power to resist it has any bearing at all on its strength, other factors must equally be taken into account.
Normally a cold can of beer doesn't constitute a strong temptation to me at all. However, let's say it's a strong temptation for an alcoholic. Now let's suppose I'm five days without drinking any liquid in a desert under the scorching sun. How tempting will a cold can of beer be to me? Can you imagine? Will you say my temptation is weaker than the temptation of the alcoholic? Besides, let's say I refuse to drink, but the temptation persists for a long time, growing stronger at each moment. How is this different from the case of the alcoholic who hasn't even felt one tenth of the strength of the temptation because he yielded immediately to it?

I think you must have missed my post just above Elle's.

Quote:
Also the idea that temptations from within, which come to us through heredity (genetically), can be removed is, IMO, extremely dangerous.

The opposite view is dangerous. It's always "Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?" without "Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #109730
03/11/09 07:18 PM
03/11/09 07:18 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Because of His exalted character, He was able to resist more difficult temptations. This doesn't address the issue of temptations being more difficult because of having a sinful nature. Isn't it simple logic that having sinful natures makes temptations more difficult? The only alternatives would be that it makes temptations easier, or has no impact. I can't imagine how anyone who has a sinful nature would say that having such a nature has no impact on one.

M:The temptation is not more difficult, it's you who have less moral power to resist it - two different things.

What do you think difficult means? How could it possibly mean anything different than "more difficult to resist?" If a person had less moral power to resist it (to go with your assumption here), wouldn't that make temptation more difficult to resist?

Quote:
Besides, as I said in the past, the power of a temptation depends on a combination of factors.

One of which is having a sinful nature.

Quote:
A sinful tendency already presupposes a sinful desire.

Are you talking about hereditary inclinations?

Quote:
You are already bent on a sinful direction.

"You" are not bent. You have a nature which is bent. That nature is a nature which, apart from divine assistance, would lead us to sin. Christ took the same sinful nature we have, and overcame by relying upon divine help. Consenting to sin, or not laying hold of divine aid, would lead to becoming bent.

Quote:
Even if you don't accomplish the act, you will think, "I won't do that but I would like to," and so you have already sinned.

This sounds like confusing temptation with sin.

Quote:
Like my tendency for romantic fiction (soap operas). Out of a sense of Christian duty, I many times resisted the temptation to watch soap operas, but I had the desire to watch them.

This sounds like a cultivated tendency, not a hereditary inclination.

Quote:
"But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire" (James 1:14).

The word "desire" here is from the Greek epithumea, which is translated as "covetousness" in Rom. 7:7.

Are you interpreting this as a cultivated or inherited tendency?

Quote:
"It is true that Christ at one time said of himself, 'The prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.' John 14:30.

This is because Christ never yielded to temptation, not because His assumed sinful nature was different than ours.

Quote:
Satan finds in human hearts some point where he can gain a foothold; some sinful desire is cherished, by means of which his temptations assert their power. But he could find nothing in the Son of God that would enable him to gain the victory.

Exactly! "Some sinful desire is cherished." Christ never "cherished" any such thing.

Quote:
Jesus did not consent to sin. Not even by a thought could he be brought to the power of Satan's temptations." {GCB, February 25, 1895 par. 6}

The tenth commandment strikes at the very root of all sins, prohibiting the selfish desire, from which springs the sinful act. {PP 309.5}

Again, Jesus did not "consent" to sin. This isn't saying that He wasn't tempted by sinful desires, but that He didn't cherish them, nor consent to sin.

Quote:
T:The soul is purified, but we don't change genetically. Or is this what you think?

R:How are pre-natal (non-genetical, as you call them, as opposed to "genetical") tendencies transmitted?

I suppose through a combination of means; chemical dependencies could arise if the mother is using drugs or alcohol; the mind can be influenced by different noises; the nervous system impacted if the mother experiences fear or different emotions.

Quote:
I think all tendencies are transmitted in the same way.

The tendency transmitted by a mother taking drugs the same as tendencies passed by the genes and chromosomes? This seems extremely unlikely.

Quote:
And if the former can be removed from the life, so can the latter. I found Elle's explanation very interesting.

It seems to me the genetic tendencies would be something you would always have, since your genes don't change. For example, you could have perfect pitch, and a tendency to be musical, but you could resist these tendencies and never develop musically. But you'd always have perfect pitch.

Quote:
It's not a semantic difference. There seems to be more than one factor in the sinful nature. For instance, EGW says about the will: The unaided human will has no real power to resist and overcome evil.

This was just as true of Christ's human will as ours.

Quote:
The defenses of the soul are broken down. Man has no barrier against sin. When once the restraints of God's word and His Spirit are rejected, we know not to what depths one may sink. MH 428

Christ also depended upon God's word and the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
She says about Christ:

Jesus Christ is our example in all things. He began life, passed through its experiences, and ended its record, with a sanctified human will. He was tempted in all points like as we are, and yet because he kept his will surrendered and sanctified, he never bent in the slightest degree toward the doing of evil, or toward manifesting rebellion against God. {ST, October 29, 1894 par. 7}

We don't begin life with a sanctified human will; our will is sanctified only at the new birth.

She's not saying here that we don't begin life with a sanctified will. She said that Christ did, and is our example in all things.

Quote:
However, maybe Christ's "unaided human will," like ours (and differently from that of Adam), had "no real power to resist and overcome evil." Maybe this was the case.

Certainly this was the case!

Christ overcame in the same manner as we must; He was our example in all things, including having to depend upon the Holy Spirit and God's word.

Back to the Holy Flesh controversy. The following is accurate, isn't it?

Holy Flesh

a.Christ came in the nature of Adam before the fall.
b.He would have been sinful otherwise.
c.We need to be like Christ to be a part of the 144,000.
d.Therefore we need to be rid of our sinful nature.

You:

a.Christ came with a nature which did not tempt Him from within.
d.Therefore we need to be rid of temptations from within.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109731
03/11/09 08:17 PM
03/11/09 08:17 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:This is exactly what I see happening here. Christ is given a fictitious human nature with special powers, powers we do not have, which cannot help but hurt our experience. Why? Because it causes, in our minds, a division between us and Christ.

R:This is not true at all.

But it is true! This was a strong emphasis of the 1888 Messengers. Hebrews tells us that as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, He also Himself likewise took part of the same. He is not ashamed to call us brethren, because He descended to take our nature, degraded and defiled by sin. Having done so, He is able to have compassion upon us, because He knows by experience our difficulties.

Ellen White makes this same argument as well. He accepted the working of the great law of heredity, the results of which is shown in His ancestors, in order to share in our sorrow. This is the same idea.

To the extent that we make Christ's human nature different than ours, we destroy our ability to receive the comfort Christ is longing to give us.

Quote:
Temptation is not different for sinless and sinful beings.

Sure it is. Sinless beings cannot be tempted from within, for one thing.

Quote:
Human beings, whether sinless or sinful, are always tempted in three key areas, and if your lack of moral power to resist it has any bearing at all on its strength, other factors must equally be taken into account.

Normally a cold can of beer doesn't constitute a strong temptation to me at all. However, let's say it's a strong temptation for an alcoholic. Now let's suppose I'm five days without drinking any liquid in a desert under the scorching sun. How tempting will a cold can of beer be to me? Can you imagine? Will you say my temptation is weaker than the temptation of the alcoholic? Besides, let's say I refuse to drink, but the temptation persists for a long time, growing stronger at each moment. How is this different from the case of the alcoholic who hasn't even felt one tenth of the strength of the temptation because he yielded immediately to it?

It's different because you have no specific temptation to drink beer, but only to drink liquid, any liquid. Whereas an alcoholic has a temptation to partake of alcohol.

Quote:
I think you must have missed my post just above Elle's.

She doesn't post as much as you do, so hers grabbed my attention.

Quote:
T:Also the idea that temptations from within, which come to us through heredity (genetically), can be removed is, IMO, extremely dangerous.

M:The opposite view is dangerous.

You're asserting that it's dangerous to think that our sinful nature will continue to tempt us throughout our lifetime. Why do you think this is dangerous?

Quote:
It's always "Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?" without "Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

??? If this "body of death" no longer tempts us, why would we need deliverance? This is arguing against your view. It's always "Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!" because we *need* the deliverance which He gives.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109736
03/11/09 09:33 PM
03/11/09 09:33 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
It's different because you have no specific temptation to drink beer, but only to drink liquid, any liquid. Whereas an alcoholic has a temptation to partake of alcohol.

Tom, what a lame argument! What does this have to do with the strength of the temptation? It's clear that my temptation would have been much stronger than that of an alcoholic in the example given.

Quote:
You're asserting that it's dangerous to think that our sinful nature will continue to tempt us throughout our lifetime. Why do you think this is dangerous?

Because you think that defeat is victory, when it's not. I lived a great part of my Christian life thinking that victory over a sinful thing was griting my teeth and trying to abstain from doing it, when I desperately wanted to do it. But Jesus said the sinful desire is already sin. "But I say to you that everyone whose eyes are turned on a woman with desire has had connection with her in his heart" (Matthew 5:28, BBE).

Quote:
R: It's always "Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?" without "Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
T: ??? If this "body of death" no longer tempts us, why would we need deliverance? This is arguing against your view. It's always "Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!" because we *need* the deliverance which He gives.

In Romans 7 Paul is speaking of his pre-conversion experience, when he needed deliverance from sin. Romans 8 speaks about the deliverance he found in Christ.

Last edited by Rosangela; 03/12/09 01:53 AM. Reason: change of the word "greater" for "stronger"
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109739
03/12/09 01:44 AM
03/12/09 01:44 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
What do you think difficult means? How could it possibly mean anything different than "more difficult to resist?" If a person had less moral power to resist it (to go with your assumption here), wouldn't that make temptation more difficult to resist?

The Bible says that God does not let us be tempted beyond our strength. If the power of resistance of the person defined the degree of difficulty of a temptation, all temptations would be equally difficult.

Quote:
R: Besides, as I said in the past, the power of a temptation depends on a combination of factors.
T: One of which is having a sinful nature.

Which can perfectly be compensated by another factor.

Quote:
R: A sinful tendency already presupposes a sinful desire.
T: Are you talking about hereditary inclinations?

I’m talking about any inclination.

Quote:
R: You are already bent on a sinful direction.
T: "You" are not bent. You have a nature which is bent. That nature is a nature which, apart from divine assistance, would lead us to sin. Christ took the same sinful nature we have, and overcame by relying upon divine help. Consenting to sin, or not laying hold of divine aid, would lead to becoming bent.

You can’t separate your nature from yourself. If your nature has a bent, you have a bent. And when your nature is transformed and renewed, you are transformed and renewed.

“thus the carnal nature is transformed, renewed in holiness after the image of Christ's righteousness and true holiness.” {PH002 25.2}

When Christ abides in the heart, the whole nature is transformed. Everything that defileth is banished from the soul's temple. {ST, January 13, 1888 par. 11}

Quote:
Exactly! "Some sinful desire is cherished." Christ never "cherished" any such thing.

She couldn’t have said, “Some sinful desire is had,” could she? The word “cherish” merely expresses the occurrence of the sinful desire. Take a look at this statement again:

"The tenth commandment strikes at the very root of all sins, prohibiting the selfish desire, from which springs the sinful act." {PP 309.5}

Quote:
R: And if the former can be removed from the life, so can the latter. I found Elle's explanation very interesting.
T: It seems to me the genetic tendencies would be something you would always have, since your genes don't change. For example, you could have perfect pitch, and a tendency to be musical, but you could resist these tendencies and never develop musically. But you'd always have perfect pitch.

What does Ellen White mean by the following comment?

“The tendencies, which have been biased in a wrong direction, are turned in a right direction.” {PH028 8.2}

Quote:
She's not saying here that we don't begin life with a sanctified will.

Are you affirming that we begin life with a sanctified will?

Quote:
Back to the Holy Flesh controversy. The following is accurate, isn't it?

Holy Flesh

a.Christ came in the nature of Adam before the fall.
d.Therefore we need to be rid of our sinful nature.

You:

a.Christ came with a nature which did not tempt Him from within.
d.Therefore we need to be rid of temptations from within.

Again the same point. Please demonstrate that “the nature of Adam before the fall” = “no temptations from within.”
I don't remember having used c. and d. as arguments. I'm not sure about these statements.

Page 48 of 100 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!