HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 3,266 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 49 of 100 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #109748
03/12/09 02:15 PM
03/12/09 02:15 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
R:Normally a cold can of beer doesn't constitute a strong temptation to me at all. However, let's say it's a strong temptation for an alcoholic. Now let's suppose I'm five days without drinking any liquid in a desert under the scorching sun. How tempting will a cold can of beer be to me? Can you imagine? Will you say my temptation is weaker than the temptation of the alcoholic? Besides, let's say I refuse to drink, but the temptation persists for a long time, growing stronger at each moment. How is this different from the case of the alcoholic who hasn't even felt one tenth of the strength of the temptation because he yielded immediately to it?

T:It's different because you have no specific temptation to drink beer, but only to drink liquid, any liquid. Whereas an alcoholic has a temptation to partake of alcohol.

R:Tom, what a lame argument! What does this have to do with the strength of the temptation?

You asked "How is this different from the case of the alcoholic who hasn't even felt one tenth of the strength of the temptation because he yielded immediately to it?" So I explained the difference. You weren't tempted like the alcoholic was tempted.

Quote:
It's clear that my temptation would have been much stronger than that of an alcoholic in the example given.

The scenario should be you and the alcoholic are both in the dessert for five days with the opportunity to drink a glass of beer to quench your thirst, and the question should be who is the temptation more difficult for.

Quote:
T:You're asserting that it's dangerous to think that our sinful nature will continue to tempt us throughout our lifetime. Why do you think this is dangerous?

R:Because you think that defeat is victory, when it's not.

No, you think temptation is sin, when it's not.

Quote:
I lived a great part of my Christian life thinking that victory over a sinful thing was griting my teeth and trying to abstain from doing it, when I desperately wanted to do it. But Jesus said the sinful desire is already sin. "But I say to you that everyone whose eyes are turned on a woman with desire has had connection with her in his heart" (Matthew 5:28, BBE).

Temptation is not sin. Again, you'll never be free if you think this. That is, if anytime you sense a temptation coming from within, you believe this to be evidence that your sinning, then you'll never find peace. This is part of our sinful flesh, which doesn't change until translation.

Once again, your view here seems just like the Holy Flesh. Only the terminology is different (and the fanatical experience to obtain the sinless nature). But the believe that we need a sinless nature is there. But this is not to be.

What do you think the defining characteristic of a sinful nature is?

Quote:
In Romans 7 Paul is speaking of his pre-conversion experience, when he needed deliverance from sin. Romans 8 speaks about the deliverance he found in Christ.

Whether Paul is speaking of his pre or post-conversion experience is irrelevant to the point. Paul receives victory over the body of death by faith, not by having his sinful nature irradicated.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #109753
03/12/09 04:19 PM
03/12/09 04:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The Bible says that God does not let us be tempted beyond our strength. If the power of resistance of the person defined the degree of difficulty of a temptation, all temptations would be equally difficult.

Wasn't I pointing out that having a sinful nature makes temptations more difficult? What does this have to do with that?

Quote:
R: Besides, as I said in the past, the power of a temptation depends on a combination of factors.

T: One of which is having a sinful nature.

R:Which can perfectly be compensated by another factor.

I don't know what you mean by this, but it still remains that having a sinful nature is a factor on which the power of a temptation is dependent upon.

Quote:
R: A sinful tendency already presupposes a sinful desire.
T: Are you talking about hereditary inclinations?

R:I’m talking about any inclination.

It's important that these be distinguished. We're not held accountable for hereditary tendencies, in terms of there having been transmitted to us; only for resisting them.

Quote:
You can’t separate your nature from yourself. If your nature has a bent, you have a bent.

You can take hold of a sinless nature, the divine nature, and be ruled by that nature instead of the other one.

Quote:
And when your nature is transformed and renewed, you are transformed and renewed.

Your sinful nature isn't.

Quote:
She couldn’t have said, “Some sinful desire is had,” could she?

Sure. Of course, the way you put it is incorrect grammatically, but she could have communicated the thought of the existence of a sinful desire as opposed to the cherishing of it.

What would be contrary to cherishing a sinful desire? Wouldn't it be refusing to cherish it? So we can say that Christ never cherished a sinful desire, that He always refused to do so. But that doesn't imply that His assumed sinful nature did not tempt Him. Indeed, how could it not? You'd have to either take the position that His assumed sinful nature was not like ours (sinless, I guess) or that one receives no temptations by virtue of having a sinful nature.

Quote:
The word “cherish” merely expresses the occurrence of the sinful desire. Take a look at this statement again:

"The tenth commandment strikes at the very root of all sins, prohibiting the selfish desire, from which springs the sinful act." {PP 309.5}

This doesn't say anything about cherishing a sinful desire. You can't conclude that "cherish" means existence by quoting some other statement which doesn't mention "cherish" at all! That's not a logically sound argument.

Anyway, to the statement. The statement is clearly prohibiting a desire over which one has control, right? So if having this particular sinful desire is bad of itself, how could it be something which is generated simply by having a sinful nature? (since we have no control over having a sinful nature).

Quote:
R: And if the former can be removed from the life, so can the latter. I found Elle's explanation very interesting.
T: It seems to me the genetic tendencies would be something you would always have, since your genes don't change. For example, you could have perfect pitch, and a tendency to be musical, but you could resist these tendencies and never develop musically. But you'd always have perfect pitch.

R:What does Ellen White mean by the following comment?

“The tendencies, which have been biased in a wrong direction, are turned in a right direction.” {PH028 8.2}

I don't see how this question relates to my point. You'd lose your perfect pitch?

I think she means you used to have certain inclinations, but now you have different ones.

Quote:
She says about Christ:

Jesus Christ is our example in all things. He began life, passed through its experiences, and ended its record, with a sanctified human will. He was tempted in all points like as we are, and yet because he kept his will surrendered and sanctified, he never bent in the slightest degree toward the doing of evil, or toward manifesting rebellion against God. {ST, October 29, 1894 par. 7}

R:We don't begin life with a sanctified human will; our will is sanctified only at the new birth.

T:She's not saying here that we don't begin life with a sanctified will. She said that Christ did, and is our example in all things.

R:Are you affirming that we begin life with a sanctified will?

No. I'm affirming she didn't say in what you quoted that we don't begin life with a sanctified will. I pointed this out because you quoted her, and then affirmed "We don't begin life with a sanctified human will," which gives the impression that you were doing so because of her statement. In case that was the case, I was pointing out there her statement didn't say that.

Quote:

T:Back to the Holy Flesh controversy. The following is accurate, isn't it? ....

You

a.Christ came with a nature which did not tempt Him from within.
b.He would have been sinful otherwise.
c.We need to be like Christ to be a part of the 144,000.
d.Therefore we need to be rid of temptations from within.

R:Again the same point.

What same point?

Quote:
Please demonstrate that “the nature of Adam before the fall” = “no temptations from within.”

Why? Are you saying that Adam, before the fall, had temptations from within?

Quote:

I don't remember having used c. and d. as arguments. I'm not sure about these statements.

I thought you said being tempted from within is a sin. Do you think the 144,000 will be sinning?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109768
03/13/09 01:33 AM
03/13/09 01:33 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
The scenario should be you and the alcoholic are both in the dessert for five days with the opportunity to drink a glass of beer to quench your thirst, and the question should be who is the temptation more difficult for.

Even so, it would be more difficult for me, of course. The alcoholic yields immediately. I, in the example given, refuse to drink, although my life is virtually depending on my drinking something, and the temptation persists for a long time, growing stronger at each moment. So, I feel all the weight of the temptation; he doesn't.

Quote:
T: You're asserting that it's dangerous to think that our sinful nature will continue to tempt us throughout our lifetime. Why do you think this is dangerous?
R:Because you think that defeat is victory, when it's not.
T: No, you think temptation is sin, when it's not.

The key point in the temptation is if you find the suggestion pleasing or repugnant.

Quote:
Temptation is not sin. Again, you'll never be free if you think this.

But I am free. Occasionally my attention is called to a particular sinful tendency when I notice that I find some kind of sinful suggestion pleasing. When I surrender that to the Lord, He removes it from my life. It’s not easy, of course. It’s like cutting off a limb or plucking an eye, for these things are part of me, and it is painful to be separated from them, but the Lord has been faithful in working in me both to will and to do, according to His good pleasure.

"’And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee; it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.’ Here Christ would teach us that the character-building needs close and careful attention. ... Those who have hereditary tendencies to evil ... should see that the offending members are cut away. Painful as this work may be of separating the evil from our character, it must be done. ... [Sinful tendencies] must be taken out of the life." {ST, May 20, 1897 par. 8-10}

Quote:
R: In Romans 7 Paul is speaking of his pre-conversion experience, when he needed deliverance from sin. Romans 8 speaks about the deliverance he found in Christ.
T: Whether Paul is speaking of his pre or post-conversion experience is irrelevant to the point. Paul receives victory over the body of death by faith, not by having his sinful nature irradicated.

Not the sinful nature erradicated, but the sinful tendencies removed.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109769
03/13/09 01:45 AM
03/13/09 01:45 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
R: The Bible says that God does not let us be tempted beyond our strength. If the power of resistance of the person defined the degree of difficulty of a temptation, all temptations would be equally difficult.
T: Wasn't I pointing out that having a sinful nature makes temptations more difficult? What does this have to do with that?[/quote]
That if you have a sinful nature, and consequently your power of resistance is less, your temptations must be easier, not more difficult. And what defines the degree of difficulty of a temptation is not your power of resistance (otherwise all temptations would be equally difficult), but the complexity of factors involved in that particular temptation.

Quote:
R: Besides, as I said in the past, the power of a temptation depends on a combination of factors.
T: One of which is having a sinful nature.
R: Which can perfectly be compensated by another factor.
T: I don't know what you mean by this, but it still remains that having a sinful nature is a factor on which the power of a temptation is dependent upon.

I mean that if a temptation is dependent on several factors, an easier factor can be compensated by (an)other factor(s) more difficult, and which may be weightier. For instance, in the example given, the factor that a can of beer doesn’t constitute a strong temptation to me is compensated and greatly surpassed by other factors, like the fact that I am in a hot desert for several days without water, and so I’m thirsty, my life is at risk, and the temptation is unrelenting.

Quote:
R: And when your nature is transformed and renewed, you are transformed and renewed.
T: Your sinful nature isn't.

Then Ellen White must be wrong. Again the quotes:

“thus the carnal nature is transformed, renewed in holiness after the image of Christ's righteousness and true holiness.” {PH002 25.2}

"When Christ abides in the heart, the whole nature is transformed. Everything that defileth is banished from the soul's temple." {ST, January 13, 1888 par. 11} [She can only be referring to our sinful nature, the only one which needs a transformation]

Quote:
This doesn't say anything about cherishing a sinful desire. You can't conclude that "cherish" means existence by quoting some other statement which doesn't mention "cherish" at all! That's not a logically sound argument.

Having a sinful desire comes before cherishing it. And Ellen White in this quote is saying that the tenth commandment prohibits having the selfish desire.
A desire is different from merely having your attention called to something. When you have a desire, you cherish it at that moment. You can choose not to continue cherishing it, but you have already cherished it for one moment.

Quote:
Anyway, to the statement. The statement is clearly prohibiting a desire over which one has control, right? So if having this particular sinful desire is bad of itself, how could it be something which is generated simply by having a sinful nature? (since we have no control over having a sinful nature).

That’s the problem with the view you hold. You don’t believe God can remove a particular sinful desire from your life.

Quote:
R: What does Ellen White mean by the following comment?
“The tendencies, which have been biased in a wrong direction, are turned in a right direction.” {PH028 8.2}
T: I think she means you used to have certain inclinations, but now you have different ones.

She means that wrongly biased tendencies are turned in a right direction. Opposite tendencies are mutually exclusive. You can’t have a tendency for honesty and for dishonesty at the same time. So, the tendency for dishonesty is turned in the right direction, and after that you have a tendency for honesty.

Quote:
R: Please demonstrate that “the nature of Adam before the fall” = “no temptations from within.”
T: Why? Are you saying that Adam, before the fall, had temptations from within?

No, I’m saying that “no temptations from within” was just one of the factors involved in Adam’s sinless nature, not its totality. So, you can’t say
Sinless nature = no temptations from within
Sinful nature = temptations from within

Quote:
R: I don't remember having used c. and d. as arguments. I'm not sure about these statements.
T: I thought you said being tempted from within is a sin. Do you think the 144,000 will be sinning?

It’s simply something I had never thought about. But yes, they seem to be correct.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #109784
03/13/09 12:37 PM
03/13/09 12:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
R: The Bible says that God does not let us be tempted beyond our strength. If the power of resistance of the person defined the degree of difficulty of a temptation, all temptations would be equally difficult.
T: Wasn't I pointing out that having a sinful nature makes temptations more difficult? What does this have to do with that?

R:That if you have a sinful nature, and consequently your power of resistance is less, your temptations must be easier, not more difficult. And what defines the degree of difficulty of a temptation is not your power of resistance (otherwise all temptations would be equally difficult), but the complexity of factors involved in that particular temptation.

The point is that having a sinful nature makes a temptation more difficult than not having one. For example, if a person has a predisposition towards alcohol, alcohol is a more difficult temptation than if he doesn't.

Quote:
I mean that if a temptation is dependent on several factors, an easier factor can be compensated by (an)other factor(s) more difficult, and which may be weightier. For instance, in the example given, the factor that a can of beer doesn’t constitute a strong temptation to me is compensated and greatly surpassed by other factors, like the fact that I am in a hot desert for several days without water, and so I’m thirsty, my life is at risk, and the temptation is unrelenting.

It's not "compensated" by this; it simply constitutes a different temptation. The point isn't that Christ overcame temptations which were as hard, or even harder than ours, but that He overcame our temptations (i.e., the same ones we face). This point was made by Adventists for decades.

For example, from E. J. Hibbard:

Quote:
Has Christ, then, descended to our world and to our level, and in our place obtained complete victory over "the world," only in order that He may sit on the right hand of the Majesty on high, and taunt us with our failures in struggling against sin?--God forbid. Says jesus, "Be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." Now "all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world." 1 John 2:16. In overcoming the world, then, Christ overcame "the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life,"--all things which are "not of the Father."

The world which Christ overcame was in His flesh. (E. J. Hibbard; The Two Laws)

The world that Christ overcame was in His flesh. That Christ's victory is something which directly impacts us. He didn't simply overcome temptations that according to some mathematical formula were >= ours, but overcame the temptations that we have to deal with.

From Prescott:

Quote:
Adam was tempted at the very first on the question of appetite. Christ came, and after a forty days' fast the devil tempted Him to use His divine power to feed Himself. And notice, it was in sinful flesh that He was tempted, not the flesh in which Adam fell. This is wondrous truth, but I am wondrous glad that it is so. It follows at once that by birth, by being born into the same family, Jesus Christ is my brother in the flesh, "for which cause He is not ashamed to call them brethren." Heb. 2:11. He has come into the family, identified Himself with the family, is both father of the family and brother of the family. As father of the family, He stands for the family. He came to redeem the family, condemning sin in the flesh, uniting divinity with flesh of sin. Jesus Christ made the connection between God and man, that the divine spirit might rest upon humanity. He made the way for humanity.

Christ, taking sinful flesh, made the way for humanity.

Quote:
R: And when your nature is transformed and renewed, you are transformed and renewed.

R:Then Ellen White must be wrong.

Again the quotes:

“thus the carnal nature is transformed, renewed in holiness after the image of Christ's righteousness and true holiness.” {PH002 25.2}

"When Christ abides in the heart, the whole nature is transformed. Everything that defileth is banished from the soul's temple." {ST, January 13, 1888 par. 11} [She can only be referring to our sinful nature, the only one which needs a transformation]

You're confusing issues here. "Sinful nature" is the same thing as "sinful flesh." Sinful flesh is not renewed by crucified.

Ellen White never spoke of Christ's taking our "carnal nature," so for you to bring in quotes dealing with this is changing horses in midstream.

Quote:
(Christ) took upon His sinless nature our sinful nature, that He might know how to succor those that are tempted. (MM 181)

If one's sinful nature is transformed and renewed, then when was Christ's?

Quote:
Having a sinful desire comes before cherishing it. And Ellen White in this quote is saying that the tenth commandment prohibits having the selfish desire.

Do you not think that covetousness involves an act of the will? Given it does, it would follow that the desire spoken of here is not one which arises from our flesh, or sinful nature, since these are not desires we have any control over. Self must be crucified.

Quote:
A desire is different from merely having your attention called to something. When you have a desire, you cherish it at that moment.

No, this is wrong. This is confusing temptation with sin. We can have desires because of external or internal factors. The sin comes in cherishing the desire, which Ellen White clarifies in saying that "some sinful desire is cherished."

Actually, to speak of "having a desire" is not very precise, as "have" can mean different things. "Cherish" is clearer.

To express the point in a clearer way, the existence of a desire is not necessarily sin. It might be, but it isn't necessarily so. For example, as long as we have this sinful flesh, we will have a hard-wired desire to put self first. Self must be crucified. There will never come a time, this side of heaven, where our sinful flesh will be in alignment with the things of heaven

Quote:
You can choose not to continue cherishing it, but you have already cherished it for one moment.

If she says "some sinful desire is cherished" then there was a time when it was there and not cherished.

Quote:
That’s the problem with the view you hold. You don’t believe God can remove a particular sinful desire from your life.

1.Some temptations/desires come from having sinful flesh/nature.
2.As long as we have this flesh/nature, we will have these temptations/desires (e.g. putting self first).
3.God gives us victory by giving us the power to overcome the temptations/desires.
4.God has not promised to remove every temptation/desire, but to give us victory over them.
5.For example, self will have to be crucified, until heaven comes.
6.When heaven comes, then our battles will be over. Until then, there will be a batter against self.

Quote:
She means that wrongly biased tendencies are turned in a right direction. Opposite tendencies are mutually exclusive. You can’t have a tendency for honesty and for dishonesty at the same time. So, the tendency for dishonesty is turned in the right direction, and after that you have a tendency for honesty.

This is saying the same thing I said in different words. You used to have one tendency (dishonesty), but now you have another (honesty).

Quote:
R: Please demonstrate that “the nature of Adam before the fall” = “no temptations from within.”

No, I’m saying that “no temptations from within” was just one of the factors involved in Adam’s sinless nature, not its totality. So, you can’t say

Temptations from within seems to be the factor of sinful flesh/nature you are having difficulties with. At any rate, I don't understand why you made this request. How does it fit into this?

You

a.Christ came with a nature which did not tempt Him from within.
b.He would have been sinful otherwise.
c.We need to be like Christ to be a part of the 144,000.
d.Therefore we need to be rid of temptations from within.

Quote:
R: I don't remember having used c. and d. as arguments. I'm not sure about these statements.
T: I thought you said being tempted from within is a sin. Do you think the 144,000 will be sinning?

R:It’s simply something I had never thought about. But yes, they seem to be correct.

Ok, I'm glad I wasn't misrepresenting your thought. One can see it follows the same logical progression as the Holy Flesh people had.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109788
03/13/09 03:27 PM
03/13/09 03:27 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
Temptation is enticement to sin, and this does not proceed from God, but from Satan and from the evil of our own hearts. "God cannot be tempted with evil, and He Himself tempteth no man." James 1:13, R.V. {MB 116.2}

In the unregenerate heart there is love of sin and a disposition to cherish and excuse it. {GC 508.2}

Distrust of God is the natural outgrowth of the unrenewed heart, which is at enmity with Him. {GC 527.3}

The seat of the difficulty is the unrenewed heart. {AH 331.1}

Those quotes describe that which tempts us from within, and which Jesus did not have.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #109793
03/13/09 04:33 PM
03/13/09 04:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
That's true. Those quotes do not deal with the temptations from within which Christ did have, only with ones He did not, as Christ had no evil in His heart, nor an unregenerate heart.

However, Christ did have sinful flesh! (and the temptations inherent in having that).

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109808
03/13/09 10:59 PM
03/13/09 10:59 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
This means that the "fallen nature" that postlapsarians feel is so important to understand, and many spend their lives studying and teaching it, does not encompass the moral and spiritual nature. In light of the fact that we can only take our characters to the next life, I believe it is better to focus on that which addresses the needs of the moral and spiritual nature.

For someone who believes this, you seem to spend in inordinate amount of time not doing so.

I spend an inordinate amount of time talking to people about Christ's human nature, trying to help them see its moral/spiritual implications and importance. That's why we are on this merry-go-round again. But it doesn't always work.

Originally Posted By: Tom
I've seen you agree with me on concepts involving God's character, such as how seeing God as He is motivates us to follow Him, demonstrates the falsehood of the enemy's claims, etc.
There's a dearth of understanding of this. Why not help people out and do posts which explain these concepts?

You and I are mostly agreed on this topic. I think you do a fine job of defending the view, so I feel no great urge to hop in.

But in my latest sermons on Steps to Christ, I dwell on this topic quite a bit, hitting it from various angles. I'll upload/post them one of these days.

The idea that "God will get us if we don't obey so we better get on the ball" is pernicious.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109817
03/14/09 01:01 AM
03/14/09 01:01 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R:That if you have a sinful nature, and consequently your power of resistance is less, your temptations must be easier, not more difficult. And what defines the degree of difficulty of a temptation is not your power of resistance (otherwise all temptations would be equally difficult), but the complexity of factors involved in that particular temptation.
T: The point is that having a sinful nature makes a temptation more difficult than not having one. For example, if a person has a predisposition towards alcohol, alcohol is a more difficult temptation than if he doesn't.

This is relative. As I said, a temptation is a combination of factors. Let’s say the alcoholic is sober and he sees a can of beer. Let’s say he feels the impulse to drink, but when he reaches for the can, someone with a gun says to him, “If you touch that can I’ll shoot you.” How strong will be the temptation to drink of it?

Now let’s invert things. Someone who doesn’t have a propensity to drink sees a can of beer, which normally wouldn’t constitute a temptation to him. But someone tells him, “Drink it or I’ll shoot you.” How strong will be the temptation to drink of it?

Quote:
R: I mean that if a temptation is dependent on several factors, an easier factor can be compensated by (an)other factor(s) more difficult, and which may be weightier. For instance, in the example given, the factor that a can of beer doesn’t constitute a strong temptation to me is compensated and greatly surpassed by other factors, like the fact that I am in a hot desert for several days without water, and so I’m thirsty, my life is at risk, and the temptation is unrelenting.
T: It's not "compensated" by this; it simply constitutes a different temptation. The point isn't that Christ overcame temptations which were as hard, or even harder than ours, but that He overcame our temptations (i.e., the same ones we face).

What do you mean by “different temptation”? The form of the temptation varies, but the essence of any temptation is always the same – to do something against God’s will. Of course Christ faced the same temptations we face, but these temptations were also the same that Adam and Eve faced.

“With the terrible weight of the sins of the world upon Him, Christ withstood the test upon appetite, upon the love of the world, and upon that love of display which leads to presumption. These were the temptations that overcame Adam and Eve, and that so readily overcome us.” {DA 116.4}

Quote:
R: Then Ellen White must be wrong.
T: You're confusing issues here. "Sinful nature" is the same thing as "sinful flesh." Sinful flesh is not renewed by crucified.

No, you are confusing things. There are two imageries slightly different here. The carnal mind, the old nature, (self) dies, or is crucified. Then your mind, your nature, is renewed. It’s the same mind, yet it is a new mind. It’s the same nature, yet it is a new nature. You are still you, yet you are a new you.

Quote:
Ellen White never spoke of Christ's taking our "carnal nature," so for you to bring in quotes dealing with this is changing horses in midstream.
(Christ) took upon His sinless nature our sinful nature, that He might know how to succor those that are tempted. (MM 181)

As we have already discussed, Ellen White uses the word nature referring to different things. When she refers to Christ, the term “sinful nature” excludes the moral/spiritual aspect, but when she refers to us, the moral/spiritual aspect is included.

“Christ says: ... I will transform your weak, sinful nature into the divine image, giving it beauty and perfection.” {TMK 106.3}

Quote:
R: Having a sinful desire comes before cherishing it. And Ellen White in this quote is saying that the tenth commandment prohibits having the selfish desire.
T: Do you not think that covetousness involves an act of the will? Given it does, it would follow that the desire spoken of here is not one which arises from our flesh, or sinful nature, since these are not desires we have any control over. Self must be crucified.

The only desires which arise without an act of the will are physical reactions – which are not the same as sinful propensities.

Quote:
R: That’s the problem with the view you hold. You don’t believe God can remove a particular sinful desire from your life.
T: 1.Some temptations/desires come from having sinful flesh/nature.

You are equating temptation with desire, which is not correct. Satan’s objective with the temptation is to arise the desire, because he knows that when this happens he has won the battle. It was thus that he obtained the victory over Eve.

Quote:
For example, as long as we have this sinful flesh, we will have a hard-wired desire to put self first.

I don’t think this must be the case. Satan will tempt us to put self first, but we don’t need to have the desire to put self first.

Quote:
R: No, I’m saying that “no temptations from within” was just one of the factors involved in Adam’s sinless nature, not its totality. So, you can’t say
T: Temptations from within seems to be the factor of sinful flesh/nature you are having difficulties with. At any rate, I don't understand why you made this request. How does it fit into this?

This is how it fits: you want to imply that I believe the same thing as the holy flesh people, and I am demonstrating that this is not true at all. Sinful tendencies can be removed, not the sinful nature. As long as we live the Holy Spirit will need to supernaturally implant in us the enmity against Satan, while in Adam this enmity was natural. As long as we live we will have to keep our will surrendered to God, while Adam's will and God's will harmonized perfectly.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109820
03/14/09 01:23 AM
03/14/09 01:23 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Temptation is enticement to sin, and this does not proceed from God, but from Satan and from the evil of our own hearts. "God cannot be tempted with evil, and He Himself tempteth no man." James 1:13, R.V. {MB 116.2}

T: Those quotes do not deal with the temptations from within which Christ did have, only with ones He did not, as Christ had no evil in His heart, nor an unregenerate heart.
However, Christ did have sinful flesh! (and the temptations inherent in having that).

???
The quote mentions two sources of temptation:
1) Satan
2) The evil of our own hearts.

Is there a 3d source Ellen White forgot to mention?

Page 49 of 100 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!